• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

TnK

I knew it was fake for a good amount of time now. I simply want to collect my favourite GBA games.
GBA games that I had (all fake):
1-MMZero 1-4
2-CV HoD and AoS
3-Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission
4-Metal Slug Advance (really good game)
5-Tales of Phantasia
6-Fire Embelem (the second one)
7-Kingdom Hearts CoM
8-Mario World
9-Gunstar Super Heroes.
10-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and I-II

The non fake games I have now are:
1-Gunstar Super Heroes (a friend got me an original copy)
2- Drill Dozer

Thinking of it now, building the collection will be tough...

Wow no kidding those are the cream of the crop GBA library...

Godspeed friend, godspeed.
Thanks. How much would it cost to recollect these games?
This question is also aimed at anyone that comes in this thread.

Thanks. How much would it cost to recollect these games?
This question is also aimed at anyone that comes in this thread.

That's a hard question really. You can get those games all relatively cheap, If you buy loose carts only. If you buy complete that cost rises dramatically(You probably wont get, for example AoS for cheaper than 30$ or FE Sacred Stones for anything but 50$ in my experience). Also depends on our purchase approach i.e do you want to use eBay/amazon and other online site where you can bid and eventually get good deals with patience/vigilance? Or try your luck with Craigslist maybe even dare to do actual garage hunting (which is ultimately the most difficult to find rarer games but also the most rewarding once you do, cheaper almost guaranteed as well).

Also I use Price Charting as a handy general price reference.

Hope this helps!

cafemomo

So what's on everyone's to buy list for the GB/C/A?

For me

>Metal Gear Ghost Babel
>Sword of Mana
>Breath of Fire
>Astro Boy
>Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
>Super Robot Taisen
>Tales of Phantasia

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Here's "all" I want for the GBA D: I already have 49 games, too!

Advance Guardian Heroes
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Boktai
Boktai 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Doom
Doom II
Double Dragon Advance
Elevator Action: Old & New
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Final Fight One
Fire Pro Wrestling 2
Golden Sun
Gundam SEED Destiny
Guru Logi Champ
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting
Karnaaj Rally
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
Kururin Paradise
Max Payne
Mr. Driller A
Ninja Five-O
River City Ransom EX
Rock'n Roll Racing
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars

I haven't put much thought into GB/GBC stuff, but I'd like all the Mario Land/Wario Land games for sure, Ghost Babel, and all the import bemani GB games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

At the moment, these are all of the ones I plan on buying eventually:

1. Breath of Fire: GBA
  2. Breath of Fire II: GBA
  3. Crystalis: GBC
  4. Dragon Warrior I & II: GBC
  5. Final Fantasy IV: GBA
  6. Final Fantasy Tactis Advanced: GBA
  7. Final Fantasy Legend: GB
  8. Final Fantasy Legend II: GB
  9. Final Fantasy Legend III:GB
  10. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: GBA
  11. Fire Emblem: GBA
  12. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: GBA
  13. Golden Sun: GBA
  14. Golden Sun: The Lost Age: GBA
  15. Kirby: Tilt & Tumble: GBC
  16. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror: GBA
  17. Mario Pinball Land: GBA
  18. Metal Gear Solid/Ghost Babel: GBC
  19. Pokemon Trading Card Game: GBC
  20. Riviera: The Promised Land: GBA
  21. Summon Night: Swordcraft Story: GBA
  22. Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2: GBA
  23. Survival Kids: GBC
  24. Yggdra Union: GBA

I might also try to get a copy of Pokemon Red and Gold again. I'm still trying to find my lost copy of Ruby.

metzger203

• Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Advance Wars
  • F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  • Pokemon: FireRed Version
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Pac-Man Collection
  • Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Already have:
  • Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • F-Zero: GP Legend
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Pokemon: LeafGreen Version
  • Super Mario Advance
  • Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

• Pokemon Emerald
  • Pokemon FireRed
  • Advance Wars
  • Advance Wars 2
  • Super Mario Advance 1,2, and 3
  • Metroid Zero Mission

Any recommendations? (I don't like JRPGs that aren't Pokemon).

I already have Super Mario Advance 4, Metroid Fusion, Jurassic Park 3: Park Builder, and Godzilla: Domination.

cafemomo

Awh, you should consider trying out FFVI if you can find one for cheap. IMO, it's the best FF and JRPG to date.

Or Mario & Luigi superstar saga. It's perhaps one of the most charming games out there.

Otherwise, I'd rec Drill Dozer & Pokemon Pinball RS.

• Pokemon Emerald
  • Pokemon FireRed
  • Advance Wars
  • Advance Wars 2
  • Super Mario Advance 1,2, and 3
  • Metroid Zero Mission

I already have Super Mario Advance 4, Metroid Fusion, Jurassic Park 3: Park Builder, and Godzilla: Domination.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Velcro Fly

Only GBA games I'm in the market for are

- Final Fantasy V Advance
- Donkey Kong Country 1-3
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

FFV comes up on Amazon Warehouse Deals frequently. The others I could go to my local disc replay and find right now.

TnK

That's a hard question really. You can get those games all relatively cheap, If you buy loose carts only. If you buy complete that cost rises dramatically(You probably wont get, for example AoS for cheaper than 30$ or FE Sacred Stones for anything but 50$ in my experience). Also depends on our purchase approach i.e do you want to use eBay/amazon and other online site where you can bid and eventually get good deals with patience/vigilance? Or try your luck with Craigslist maybe even dare to do actual garage hunting (which is ultimately the most difficult to find rarer games but also the most rewarding once you do, cheaper almost guaranteed as well).

Also I use Price Charting as a handy general price reference.

Hope this helps!
I don't live in the US, so my only option is ebay. I remember that Amazon resellers don't ship outside the US. It will be an expensive rebuild of the collection indeed. I may do 1-2 games per month or something.

Teknoman

I still need the Super Robot Taisen OG games (should I just get 2?), Superstar Saga, Gradius Galaxies, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Drill Dozer, some classic GB stuff like Operation C, Link's awakening DX, and Nemesis. How is Summon Knight series?

To someone who isn't familiar with counterfeits, the low prices of games on ebay out of Hong Kong are very desirable, which is how these spread so much. It's also affecting the DS market as well, as fakes have been out for some time, and are, IMO, even harder to detect.

I'm 100% certain I got a counterfeit Pokemon Leafgreen (froze 10 hours in with no way of fixing it, FML). It seemed slightly taller than a usual GBA cart which was my first clue.

And I bought Pokemon Emerald and I'm nearly certain that it's also counterfeit since it has the same slightly too tall feel as Leafgreen had and I noticed the ESRB rating on the sticker seems stretched out compared to real cartridges. It's a bummer, but as long as this one doesn't freeze on me (and I'm able to do the item duplication glitch) I can live with it.

I didn't even get them online, but at a little local used game place. I tried to trade back in Leafgreen (couldn't remember if it was the place I had bought it at and didn't have a reciept) and they confirmed it was counterfiet, but their also the ones that sold me the Emerald cartridge, so they must have a less observent person who works there as well.(the sticker was shiny, which is why they probably thought it was real, and maybe it is, I'm not 100% sure)

coopolon

I'm 100% certain I got a counterfeit Pokemon Leafgreen (froze 10 hours in with no way of fixing it, FML). It seemed slightly taller than a usual GBA cart which was my first clue.

And I bought Pokemon Emerald and I'm nearly certain that it's also counterfeit since it has the same slightly too tall feel as Leafgreen had and I noticed the ESRB rating on the sticker seems stretched out compared to real cartridges. It's a bummer, but as long as this one doesn't freeze on me (and I'm able to do the item duplication glitch) I can live with it.

I didn't even get them online, but at a little local used game place. I tried to trade back in Leafgreen (couldn't remember if it was the place I had bought it at and didn't have a reciept) and they confirmed it was counterfiet, but their also the ones that sold me the Emerald cartridge, so they must have a less observent person who works there as well.(the sticker was shiny, which is why they probably thought it was real, and maybe it is, I'm not 100% sure)

If they are counterfeit, don't try to load the pokemon from the gba game into any of the gen iv games. IT will corrupt your save. Also, reading around, it seems counterfeit games often will corrupt the save after beating the elite 4 because the save file gets bigger? and the counterfeit cartridges don't have the memory to handle it.

I think I'm going to start really collecting GB/GBC games. They're so dirt cheap and I've already got a dozen or so to start with.

My concern with GB Advance market is all the counterfeit pieces out there. I once got burned on a "nintondo" copy of Harvest Moon and ever since then I've been skittish.

So my question is, are there a lot of counterfeit Gameboy or Gameboy Color games? Also, suggestions for rare/underrated games welcome.

Teknoman

Are they traditional metroidvanian games? Or are they a different style like the recent console titles?

They are aside from the fact that Circle of the Moon and Harmony are closer to Portrait (or Richter mode in SotN) since you use a whip character.

baphomet

Just added another original Gameboy to the collection today. It's a black Play it Loud version is really excellent condition. I went ahead and did the pro sound audio mod to it, put in a bivert chip, pink backlight, and inverted the polarizing film for the best contrast. It's really hard to get a picture of how clear it looks in person. The darks are a blue color and my phone just doesn't want to pick it up in pictures. The other is my first Gameboy mod that I did for comparison. Exact same things were done except it has an orange backlight instead. My girlfriend has been using mine a lot here lately, and that's actually the reason I had a pink backlight and bivert chip just hanging out. So she now has her own to play with.

Jf6LrrJ.jpg

Greenzxy

Just added another original Gameboy to the collection today. It's a black Play it Loud version is really excellent condition. I went ahead and did the pro sound audio mod to it, put in a bivert chip, pink backlight, and inverted the polarizing film for the best contrast. It's really hard to get a picture of how clear it looks in person. The darks are a blue color and my phone just doesn't want to pick it up in pictures. The other is my first Gameboy mod that I did for comparison. Exact same things were done except it has an orange backlight instead. My girlfriend has been using mine a lot here lately, and that's actually the reason I had a pink backlight and bivert chip just hanging out. So she now has her own to play with.
How's the sound?

baphomet

How's the sound?

It's super clear. Slightly lower volume compared to stock headphone jack, but it doesn't redline like the stock jack. As far as just regular gameplay it's not a massive difference, but if you're trying to capture audio out of a gameboy with lsdj it's 100 times better.

Circle and Harmony are skippable.

Circle is an excellent entry and is definitely worth picking up :p, why the hate?. And, while I enjoyed HoD
(the soundtrack is almost utter shit)
it is easily the weakest entry in the GBA trilogy and one of the more weak in the series in general but if your a fan of CV/metroidvanias its still better than most non eponymous metroid/CV games.

Not every game can be AoS god status, in fact only SOTN matches/supersedes it In my and many others obviously, opinion.

Are they traditional metroidvanian games? Or are they a different style like the recent console titles?

IGAvanias to be sure. AoS is the "prequel" to Dawn of Sorrow on DS if that helps. They aren't like Curse of Darkeness/Lament of Innocence for Ps2 (though they bear a surprising amount of similarities in retroplay) or LOS/MercurySteam's ps360 console ventures at all.

Velinos

It has been a long time since I bought a Gameboy game, but I found this little gem. Now I just need his big brother for the NES.

xrxJXyUl.jpg

-KRS-

New game get! And it's an interesting one too. The Japanese release of Trip World. Sorry for the slightly blurry image. I forgot the aperture setting...
Haven't bought a GB game in a while either, but this certainly makes up for that I think. :)
But man, is this game easy as hell or what? At least the levels. The bosses are a bit tricky.

^Is DuckTales 2 on the GB as expensive as the NES version? And for that matter, how does the game itself compare to the NES game?

Velinos

I found it for $8, which is pretty good since the going rate is about $11. Haven't played it yet, so I cannot comment on that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
New game get! And it's an interesting one too. The Japanese release of Trip World. Sorry for the slightly blurry image. I forgot the aperture setting...

Haven't bought a GB game in a while either, but this certainly makes up for that I think. :)
But man, is this game easy as hell or what? At least the levels. The bosses are a bit tricky.

Uhh, how much did it cost you?

lupinko

I was looking to get a third GBA SP from craigslist again (I got two, one blue in good condition and the other red in decent condition, and both are frontlit), but reading about the Gameboy Micro (which I scoffed at back in the day just like the SP, ugh) makes me want to pick up one, or two. Locally the prices in the used or aftermarket are pretty pricey for the Micro, well to me anyway. I figure I should try to shop for them in Japan next month when I move there.

In the meantime I'll probably get a third DS Lite, either a Crimson Red or the Light Green, but those brand new are still a bit too pricey. I lucked out with that still brand new Onyx Diamond/Pearl DS Lite at a local gamestop.

Grief.exe

I was looking to get a third GBA SP from craigslist again (I got two, one blue in good condition and the other red in decent condition, and both are frontlit), but reading about the Gameboy Micro (which I scoffed at back in the day just like the SP, ugh) makes me want to pick up one, or two. Locally the prices in the used or aftermarket are pretty pricey for the Micro, well to me anyway. I figure I should try to shop for them in Japan next month when I move there.

In the meantime I'll probably get a third DS Lite, either a Crimson Red or the Light Green, but those brand new are still a bit too pricey. I lucked out with that still brand new Onyx Diamond/Pearl DS Lite at a local gamestop.

Highly recomend the Micro, its a little small for my hand size, but just about any Nintendo handheld or console is other than the original game boy, original GBA, and 3DS XL.

lupinko

Highly recomend the Micro, its a little small for my hand size, but just about any Nintendo handheld or console is other than the original game boy, original GBA, and 3DS XL.

Thanks, I'll keep out an eye for them and will probably make that my next GBA purchase.

I feel for you when I got back into pokemon as I went through the same thing. But now I'm looking at my real carts of Emerald, Sapphire (2x), Ruby (2x), and LeafGreen (2x). I thought about FireRed but FR and LG don't have specific Legendaries so eh.

This is mainly to do custom games of all the starters, swapping starters, and Jirachi farming, and when Pokebank is out in my neck of the woods, and I get the transfers working I can put out Jirachis.

-KRS-

$8 for DuckTales 2 seems very reasonable. Might have to look it up. :)

Uhh, how much did it cost you?

~800 SEK, which is about $120. The going price for the Japanese copy on ebay.com at the time was around $150 so I thought it was worth it.

Edit: wow looking now at completed auctions someone bought the JP version recently for $270 cart only! Holy shit haha.

plc268

Man, I'm so jealous. Trip World has been on my radar for some time now, but I haven't found it at a price I'm willing to pay yet. Since it wasn't released in North America, the only copies are Euro and JP copies, and both are legit rare. They do pop up on ebay from time to time, but not often.

Apparently it got released on 3ds Virtual Console in Europe, so I heard.

But yea, the game is rather easy, especially compared to Gimmick (there's some superficial similiarities between the two). But the gameplay isn't the real draw for Trip World, it's the music and graphics. And honestly, they're technical masterpieces for the GB. It's unbelievable what Sunsoft was able to do with the hardware.

For those who've never heard of Trip World, take a listen to the soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzzzoymPUI&list=PL939FB4B1F1A6EE11

-KRS-

Yeah the soundtrack is legit awesome. One of the best on GB. I even hooked my GB up to my amp to listen to it haha. I think that Mr. Gimmick has a better soundtrack but Trip World is no slouch either for sure. Seems to be composed by a completely different group of people compared to the usual Sunsoft NES composers like Naoki Kodaka et al.

Is there any consensus on which of the releases is the rarest? Just taking a guess I'd say the PAL version would be more rare, but it seems to be pretty even looking on ebay. If I could choose I'd probably buy the PAL version because the cover/label art is so much better. Really spartan design on the JP version. The game itself is identical on both though.

And yes they actually released it on 3DS VC, which was quite a surprise. I think it's out in both PAL land and Japan. It's a shame they haven't released it in NA yet. Maybe they will at some point. They did release the PAL Ufouria: The Saga for NES in NA on the Wii so they have done things like that before regarding Sunsoft PAL exclusives. And since the GB is region free I see no reason not to.

Edit: Oh and I've been on the lookout for the game for some years now as well, so when I found it for that price I jumped at it. There is something written in marker in a small spot on the back of my cart though, but I don't really care about that. It was shown clearly in the listing. It has already faded quite a bit and marker is usually removable from plastics luckily.

Peagles

Latest pickups, great prices! Been after SA2 for a long time (since it came out actually), but it's always been hard to find here let alone CIB. Drill Dozer is apparently brand new (not sealed though). Very stoked with this lot! The rest I got a few weeks ago but haven't really touched yet. That's my second copy of Twisted, just cos I love that game so much, and people always cry there's no such thing as a PAL copy, lol.

-KRS-

Oh man. Lots of great games in that pickup. And great looking boxes too. Congrats! I really need to start picking up some GBA games, but the rampant occurance of pirate/counterfeit carts have put me off it.

I feel for you when I got back into pokemon as I went through the same thing. But now I'm looking at my real carts of Emerald, Sapphire (2x), Ruby (2x), and LeafGreen (2x). I thought about FireRed but FR and LG don't have specific Legendaries so eh.

This is mainly to do custom games of all the starters, swapping starters, and Jirachi farming, and when Pokebank is out in my neck of the woods, and I get the transfers working I can put out Jirachis.

I managed to get a legit copy of Emerald just yesterday. The store was even nice enough to take back the fake copy. Unfortunately the sticker on the cartridge is all scratched to hell.

Is there anywhere online I can order a replacement sticker? I don't care all that much, but it would be nice to swap it.

Peagles

Oh man. Lots of great games in that pickup. And great looking boxes too. Congrats! I really need to start picking up some GBA games, but the rampant occurance of pirate/counterfeit carts have put me off it.

That is one advantage (of the very few) of living in a PAL land. I don't think pirates ever bothered to replicate our packaging (probably even less so than Europe actually) so every NZ game I find I can be 100% sure it's legit.

I was worried about Drill Dozer though, particularly since the same seller had a copy of SMA4 that looked like this:
pirate_zpsa7b856e4.png

But I lucked out! I never realised Drill Dozer had the rumble feature, so that put my mind at ease anyway.

It has been a long time since I bought a Gameboy game, but I found this little gem. Now I just need his big brother for the NES.

xrxJXyUl.jpg

Sooooo much better than the first DuckTales game on Game Boy.

One of those very rare cases where I'd say the GB version might actually be better (and in this case, way more affordable!) than it's NES counterpart.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
$8 for DuckTales 2 seems very reasonable. Might have to look it up. :)

~800 SEK, which is about $120. The going price for the Japanese copy on ebay.com at the time was around $150 so I thought it was worth it.

Edit: wow looking now at completed auctions someone bought the JP version recently for $270 cart only! Holy shit haha.

Not bad! Still a pretty expensive game, but I suppose it's only going to get more expensive.

^Is DuckTales 2 on the GB as expensive as the NES version? And for that matter, how does the game itself compare to the NES game?

I've been looking for a "cheap" copy for a long time. Price for the western release is crazy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Latest pickups, great prices! Been after SA2 for a long time (since it came out actually), but it's always been hard to find here let alone CIB. Drill Dozer is apparently brand new (not sealed though). Very stoked with this lot! The rest I got a few weeks ago but haven't really touched yet. That's my second copy of Twisted, just cos I love that game so much, and people always cry there's no such thing as a PAL copy, lol.

I don't understand, are Sonic Advance 2 and Drill Dozer somewhat hard to find or pricey as new sealed CiB?
Cause if that's the case I saw them around for $25 and $20, legit US stock. I already have DD but I might grab SA2 if it's worth something, just to trade it. I was under the impression those two games are cheap tho.

Edit:
I will also obviously point them to whoever gaffers want to grab 'em

Grief.exe

That is one advantage (of the very few) of living in a PAL land. I don't think pirates ever bothered to replicate our packaging (probably even less so than Europe actually) so every NZ game I find I can be 100% sure it's legit.

I was worried about Drill Dozer though, particularly since the same seller had a copy of SMA4 that looked like this:
pirate_zpsa7b856e4.png

But I lucked out! I never realised Drill Dozer had the rumble feature, so that put my mind at ease anyway.

The picture on the cart is hilariously bad.

Peagles

I don't understand, are Sonic Advance 2 and Drill Dozer somewhat hard to find or pricey as new sealed CiB?
Cause if that's the case I saw them around for $25 and $20, legit US stock. I already have DD but I might grab SA2 if it's worth something, just to trade it. I was under the impression those two games are cheap tho.

Edit:
I will also obviously point them to whoever gaffers want to grab 'em

Welcome to New Zealand. Everything Nintendo is hard to find here. I got them both for $15-20 NZD though.

John Blade

I am wondering if anyone got those GBA mod backlit screen as I might be interested in getting one but dont want to pay the Rose version price. Is they another choice or should I just go get the Rose one.

Not the right guy to start open up the gba to do this. Was wondering if they is someone here who is selling this or someone on ebay who selling this a complete kit but at a reduce price.

oh lol, well that plc268 poster sold some complete pre-modded kits in the neogaf buy/trade/sell thread previously. PM perhaps?

Top Bottom