• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

plc268

The link you posted is actually 2 for $53.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1358440582.html?tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Thats for 1 of the backlit og models for $26. Actually a decent price, unfortunately id bet not a single part is original. I wonder if its just emulation or actual hardware.

Yea, be careful of those, those could be cheap clones. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but clones of the gba like that definitely exist, and are terrible because they don't work correclty with game saves.

But anyway, I'm not really modding any more GBAs at the moment. I only have one more kit to mod, and I don't have any more donors at the moment. I had done about 15 in the past, but I stopped when it became increasingly hard to sell them after everyone else tried to do the same.

For a period, there was a guy selling them for $70 on ebay, which is insane to me, because all the parts (including new shells, which he had) would total up to about $55-$60. Add in ebay fees, and he was almost losing money.

Slermy

Man, I'm so jealous. Trip World has been on my radar for some time now, but I haven't found it at a price I'm willing to pay yet. Since it wasn't released in North America, the only copies are Euro and JP copies, and both are legit rare. They do pop up on ebay from time to time, but not often.

Apparently it got released on 3ds Virtual Console in Europe, so I heard.

But yea, the game is rather easy, especially compared to Gimmick (there's some superficial similiarities between the two). But the gameplay isn't the real draw for Trip World, it's the music and graphics. And honestly, they're technical masterpieces for the GB. It's unbelievable what Sunsoft was able to do with the hardware.

For those who've never heard of Trip World, take a listen to the soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzzzoymPUI&list=PL939FB4B1F1A6EE11

So crazy, I bought a copy off of eBay maybe five years ago, and it was definitely under $50. It is a neat little game.

As soon as games become available on digital download services it looses it's value quite fast.

That's not necessarily true. See Recca, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, Chrono Trigger, etc.

If anything Trip World has increased in value, lol

plc268

As soon as games become available on digital download services it looses it's value quite fast.

This idea gets thrown around a lot, and it's rarely ever true, at least with nintendo stuff. I know a lot of people were hoping Earthbound carts would drop in value after the VC release, but it's hovered at the same $150 its been at for a while.

I have seen some PS1 games lose their value after they were released on PSN, but even then, not by much.

Grief.exe

My quick thoughts are the potential market stays the same.

You lose some buyers to the downloaded content, but you also gain a larger audience from new fans.

There is zero net change in potential buyers.

stalker

Recently I recevied an order of PET boxes for my GBA collection and today I have been storing all the games in them. I am very happy with the quality (they are from videogameprotectors).

I wanted to take pictures of each game but I realized the lighting conditions were not very good so I will need to see how I arrange the lights. For now I will post the Japanese games:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104800958793476636554/20140102?authuser=0&feat=directlink

By the way, for the japanese (GBA) games I think there is nothing that fits in videogameprotectors. Anyone know of alternatives that fit well?

That's not necessarily true. See Recca, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, Chrono Trigger, etc.

If anything Trip World has increased in value, lol

Ok, maybe I was wrong. I was thinking more about NGC, PS2 and Xbox games. These games aren't worth much because most of them are playable on newer devices.
Tales of for GameCube lost alot of value when it came available as digital download.

Maybe it's also the crisis, but as far as I can see, alot of games lost value the last few years.
Even my lovely Atari jaguar wasn't worth as much as a few years ago.

I got all the Nintendo published GBA games in awesome state and a lot of great GBA games by other publishers (Castlevania's, FF games, ), but I got a feeling that these won't ever be worth as much as Trip World or Amazing Tater.

-KRS-

My quick thoughts are the potential market stays the same.

You lose some buyers to the downloaded content, but you also gain a larger audience from new fans.

There is zero net change in potential buyers.

Yeah. A lot of them actually go up in price a bit because more people hear about the game and want the actual cart. Physical will always > digital for collectors, and there are a lot of new collectors out there who haven't heard of some of those rare games until something brings it to their attention, like a digital release.

Edit:
So crazy, I bought a copy off of eBay maybe five years ago, and it was definitely under $50. It is a neat little game.
Wow you're lucky lol. I guess people didn't really know about the game 5 years ago. The same thing happened with Earthbound to me. I bought it before Mother 3 came out and made everyone crazy for Earthbound so I got it for less than half of today's going price. And that was with a "For Display Only" box as well.

I think Trip World might have started to get more popular after Frank Cifaldi made that annotated playthrough of Mr. Gimmick where he mentions Trip World as well. That video also made Mr. Gimmick more expensive.

I remember seeing boxed (no manual) Trip World in atorocius condition for $50 a couple years ago. Looking back, even in bad condition it might have been worth it, lol.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think Trip World might have started to get more popular after Frank Cifaldi made that annotated playthrough of Mr. Gimmick where he mentions Trip World as well. That video also made Mr. Gimmick more expensive.
That video made me want both games pretty badly but dem prices... Hell, most of Sunsoft's output in that era looks really great.

If you really want to play it, there's a PS1 port of Gimmick! that's cheaper (still $100+ though) on one of the Japanese Sunsoft compilation discs.

Slermy

Okay, so I was curious and found I still had my old e-mail from my eBay auction:

It was a Buy it Now for:
EUR 10.50.

Back in 2009.

Even better was buying a brand new, sealed copy of Shantae for $15.29 in 2003.

It is interesting how Let's Play videos have really shot up the prices of games. Heck, I've even noticed "Hidden Gem" threads here on GAF will also affect availability of titles.

As fun as it is to say I've lucked out and acquired these games on the cheap, I do look forward to our digital future where hopefully this kind of thing disappears. It sucks to have great games out there that people just don't have the opportunity to play. I'd still love to own copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Snatcher one of these days.

OnPoint

Just got a Micro for Xmas but the faceplate is a little beat. Anybody know of a way it get a decently priced replacement that isn't gaudy?

Captain N

I want to collect Game Boy games, but some of them are pretty pricey. Thinking of going Carts only on this one. The cases the old Game Boy games came in..any good place(s) to buy them?

Peagles

Freaked out when I saw this in one of my favourite food places in our capital...
IMAG0313_zpsa995ead0.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If you really want to play it, there's a PS1 port of Gimmick! that's cheaper (still $100+ though) on one of the Japanese Sunsoft compilation discs.
Yeah, I think that one's come up close to the same price. There was a copy of Gimmick! that went for like $140 on eBay in October. I'd probably drop that. I'd rather trade other stuff out of my collection for it, but who knows... Some day.

Zalman

I remember hearing good things about the 2nd and 3rd ones. The 3rd one never left Japan IIRC.
I have "GP Legend", which I think is the 2nd one. It's pretty good, though I didn't put a whole lot of time into it.
Thanks! I'll look into it.

I want to collect Game Boy games, but some of them are pretty pricey. Thinking of going Carts only on this one. The cases the old Game Boy games came in..any good place(s) to buy them?
Yeah, games can get really pricey if you want the box with them. That's why I decided to print them out and use DS cases instead. If you're interested, here's what it looks like:

(Old picture of my collection I posted some time ago.)

It feels really good to be able to buy games for cheap and still get some kind of box with it, even if it isn't the original. I actually prefer this to the cardboard boxes they used to come with.

cafemomo

so I got a GBA SP for Christmas.

It was my first time using the thing since 2007~ or so and I forgot how "dim" the blacklight of this thing was compared to the Micro.

Still, it's really refreshing using it after a long hiatus from it

so I got a GBA SP for Christmas.

It was my first time using the thing since 2007~ or so and I forgot how "dim" the blacklight of this thing was compared to the Micro.

Still, it's really refreshing using it after a long hiatus from it
It's probably the standard GBA SP. There's a GBA SP+ which is backlit and looks pretty good, IMO.

plc268

Yeah, I went cart only for my collection, mostly for practical purposes. Cardboard boxes are just a pain to retrieve games from, so I just use DS cases for my whole collection. I do eventually want to get the manuals for most of my games, but that's not a huge priority.

The few CIB games I do have, I simply flattened the boxes and stored them away.

I've never owned the SP+ back then. Just the OG GBA, SP & Micro.
How "bright" was it? Like DS bright?

Pretty much. The first SP was a bandaid solution to add a light to the screen by adding a transparent light panel on the front side of the screen. The actual screen is pretty much the same as the ones in the OG GBA. The AGS-101 (SP+) actually incorporates a new more modern backlit screen. It's still inferior to the DS screens because they have terrible ghosting. Honestly, the best GBA experience, by far, is playing the games on a DS (or DS Lite, depends on preference).

cafemomo

Oh wow, that's pretty bright. I should track a SP+ down one of these days.

Yeah, I went cart only for my collection, mostly for practical purposes.

Same here due to storage, money and convenience. The gb/gba games I treasure the most I already have CIB.

Only CIB I plan to get for the foreseeable future is Metal Gear & maybe Minish Cap.

Yeah, games can get really pricey if you want the box with them. That's why I decided to print them out and use DS cases instead. If you're interested, here's what it looks like:

It feels really good to be able to buy games for cheap and still get some kind of box with it, even if it isn't the original. I actually prefer this to the cardboard boxes they used to come with.

Where do you get the art and the cases?

Captain N

That looks fantastic. The gameboy games would justbe loose in the cases then, right?

Zalman

Where do you get the art and the cases?
You can get the art from thecoverproject.net. They don't have every game on there, but for the most part you should be covered. All you have to do it print them out and cut them. There are various guides on the site on how to do so properly.

I live in Europe and ordered the cases from rivieramultimedia.co.uk. If you're American, you probably have more options. You can order empty DS cases directly from Nintendo, but the newer ones don't have a GBA slot. If you already have a big DS collection, you could swap them out with the ones from Nintendo if you decide to buy from them. Otherwise there are probably some sites that sell the old boxes. You should ask around on the Cover Project site if you're interested.

That looks fantastic. The gameboy games would justbe loose in the cases then, right?
Thanks! The GBA games of course fit in the DS case perfectly, but as for the GB/GBC games, you would have to mod the case to make them fit. However, I use the European boxes which you might be able to tell by the width, and the old GB games fit in there without any changes to the case. I just put them where the manuals usually are. It's not the best way to do it, but it's good enough for me. They actually fit in there pretty nicely so they're not entirely loose.

B.K.

I've been wanting to do that for my GBA games for years, but I don't have a good enough printer.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Any opinions on Mazes of Fate for the GBA? I saw a cheap copy the other day and I'm thinking about buying it.

For GB and GBC games, I use a 3DS case as an alternative to DS cases. Take a cartridge and flip it sideways at the top of the case above where a 3DS cart usually goes and it should fit. With GBC games, that's usually all I have to do; sometimes the box does not want to fully close with GBC games that are not compatible with the GB (such as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, though that is because I have all of the box's inserts; the version of I have Pokemon Crystal lacks any inserts and it fits perfectly). For GB and GBC games compatible with the GB (such as Pokemon Silver), I put a thin layer of bubble wrap under the cartridge so it won't shake around and damage the cart. Just have to be careful when opening the case so it doesn't fly out.

I've heard of other ways to store them in 3DS cases as well, such as this method using styrofoam, courtesy of the Cover Project:
dsc03196f.jpg

OnPoint

Just got a second DMG-01 the other day off eBay, and it looks a bit different than my other DMG-01. Anyone know off hand why that might be?

The one on the right is the new one. Also, it has a bronze screen, compared to the green one on the other GB.

hz7gaho.jpg

Just got a second DMG-01 the other day off eBay, and it looks a bit different than my other DMG-01. Anyone know off hand why that might be?

The one on the right is the new one. Also, it has a bronze screen, compared to the green one on the other GB.

hz7gaho.jpg

Could be a play it loud reissue? Perhaps it's a later model from 1995/1996.

My Play It Loud Black DMG has a bronze screen, for example.

Same here due to storage, money and convenience. The gb/gba games I treasure the most I already have CIB.

Only CIB I plan to get for the foreseeable future is Metal Gear & maybe Minish Cap.
I used to be OCD about having GBA game boxes, but ran into major space issues a few years ago. Eventually threw them all out, I just have carts now. I've got all my DS cases, but those are causing space issues too. Am considering throwing them out and just keeping the carts.

I used to be OCD about having GBA game boxes, but ran into major space issues a few years ago. Eventually threw them all out, I just have carts now. I've got all my DS cases, but those are causing space issues too. Am considering throwing them out and just keeping the carts.

If there's a single redeeming quality about cardboard boxes Nintendo games used it's that you can fold them flat for storage.

Anyway, if you're serious about getting rid of your remaining cases, you might want to put them up for sale on eBay or NeoGAF's buy/trade/sell thread. Collectors will buy them.

OnPoint

I'd take the cases off your hands for sure

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Would any of those cases happen to have GBA slots?

cafemomo

If there's a single redeeming quality about cardboard boxes Nintendo games used it's that you can fold them flat for storage.

Anyway, if you're serious about getting rid of your remaining cases, you might want to put them up for sale on eBay or NeoGAF's buy/trade/sell thread. Collectors will buy them.

yeah you should do this, you might get a pretty penny for those DS cases

lbk62

Hi! Im just gonna share this with you guys, im a big fan of the gba, and some days ago i received my rose colored gaming gba mod, and a mother 3 cart (translated to english) and it just look great! i love it, and the game gorgeous, music is so awesomeeeee i love it.

a couple of pics
Backlight on
Showing off

edit: special thanks to fellow gaffer plc268 for the new cover!! its waaaay better than the original one IMO.

plc268

Hi! Im just gonna share this with you guys, im a big fan of the gba, and some days ago i received my rose colored gaming gba mod, and a mother 3 cart (translated to english) and it just look great! i love it, and the game gorgeous, music is so awesomeeeee i love it.

a couple of pics
Backlight on
Showing off

edit: special thanks to fellow gaffer plc268 for the new cover!! its waaaay better than the original one IMO.

Oh wow. I forgot I sent you that. That was so long ago. Glad you like it.

Grief.exe

a couple of pics
Backlight on
Showing off

That looks phenomenal.

Top Bottom