• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

maxcriden

Transparent handhelds are the best!

Motherfuckers won't be asking what game you're playing. They can just see it.

Haha yes! That's why this is the best GBA:

thumbnail.asp

In October 2011 I got a near mint GB Light, awesome system. Have been wanting one since I saw pics of it in the import section of a magazine as a kid, here is a pic of it running Nemesis/Gradius:

DFBFEFA4-4E24-49A0-A073-00FFECFAB750-7741-000008F544C81522_zpsf81c9d92.jpg

Back in June while on a road trip I noticed my GBA SP (brighter second revision screen) could no longer keep a charge more than a few hours. Last month I bought a new replacement battery kit at a local used games store, pictured below, whatever this brand is avoid it. I'm going to have to return it because my GBA still won't last beyond 2-3 hours. That's what I get for not splurging for an official battery I guess.

4873EB29-9CC6-41E7-81A7-8460648DDAF3-7741-000008F23B4ACEC9_zps78546694.jpg

Back in June while on a road trip I noticed my GBA SP (brighter second revision screen) could no longer keep a charge more than a few hours. Last month I bought a new replacement battery kit at a local used games store, pictured below, whatever this brand is avoid it. I'm going to have to return it because my GBA still won't last beyond 2-3 hours. That's what I get for not splurging for an official battery I guess.

4873EB29-9CC6-41E7-81A7-8460648DDAF3-7741-000008F23B4ACEC9_zps78546694.jpg

I found the same thing with a different brand (from DealExtreme). Can you even get official batteries these days?

plc268

The thing with GBA SP batteries, is that they're likely New Old Stock, that's been sitting around for years. These batteries will lose storage capacity over time, and if no one is manufacturing new batteries, eventually you're going to have a difficult time finding one to work.

That's just one of the many reasons why I don't bother with the GBA SP. Now that I have a modded fat gba with a backlight, I don't have a reason to go back to a GBA SP.

The thing with GBA SP batteries, is that they're likely New Old Stock, that's been sitting around for years. These batteries will lose storage capacity over time, and if no one is manufacturing new batteries, eventually you're going to have a difficult time finding one to work.

That's just one of the many reasons why I don't bother with the GBA SP. Now that I have a modded fat gba with a backlight, I don't have a reason to go back to a GBA SP.

This post just super depressed me about my SPs, DSs, and 3DSs... :(

Like I said in my post I bought this instead of springing for an official battery, which I should have added, are still sold on the support/shop section on nintendo.com

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=57903&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

These would have the same problem too? Anyone here gotten one of these in the last few years?

I found the same thing with a different brand (from DealExtreme). Can you even get official batteries these days?

Indeed you can. *points to link above* For $15 they better work.

-KRS-

This post just super depressed me about my SPs, DSs, and 3DSs... :(

Yeah it sucks. The fact that they lose capacity over time is the only shitty thing about lithium batteries. Already after two years they only hold about 70% of what they used to. At least we'll always be able to plug in the charger and play that way.

plc268

Yeah it sucks. The fact that they lose capacity over time is the only shitty thing about lithium batteries. Already after two years they only hold about 70% of what they used to. At least we'll always be able to plug in the charger and play that way.

The GBA SP has this unique quirk, that it must have a functioning battery, even to play on the charger. I've purchased numerous "broken" GBA SPs in the past for dirt cheap, and all they needed was a new battery.

plc268

I mean, I didn't want to fear monger or anything like that, but there will always probably be some company manufacturing these batteries in some capacity. They may not be the best quality, but in a pinch they'll work.

polg

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I love it!

I've recently discovered that this existed

And I'm a sucker for "collections". I got it for 1/3 of what's going for in EBay. Now to collect the other 3 :D

plc268

And I'm a sucker for "collections". I got it for 1/3 of what's going for in EBay. Now to collect the other 3 :D

Yea, those collections are unique in that they have colorized versions of original GB games. If I recall, the japanese versions of these collections (and they're not numbered the same) are not in color.

Yea, those collections are unique in that they have colorized versions of original GB games. If I recall, the japanese versions of these collections (and they're not numbered the same) are not in color.

The Japanese versions have Super Game Boy support for limited color that way, but do not have Game Boy Color support, while the European versions are the other way around. Also game numbering isn't the same between regions, but both regions got all four titles, each with the same four games in them (just numbered differently).

Speaking of modding, is there anywhere that anyone knows of to get a front light kit for a GBC?

While I saw a million and one beat up GBA-SP 001's a couple of years ago, I've had no luck finding one locally and no bites to sell me one on GAF. I'd really prefer to just get a light instead of ripping apart an innocent SP anyway. :)

John Blade

Speaking of modding, is there anywhere that anyone knows of to get a front light kit for a GBC?

While I saw a million and one beat up GBA-SP 001's a couple of years ago, I've had no luck finding one locally and no bites to sell me one on GAF. I'd really prefer to just get a light instead of ripping apart an innocent SP anyway. :)

This been post before but might be something you can check out.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ow/426976_1555300358.html&af=cj_6149513&vd=30

sackferret

Neo Member
I started playing the first Harry Potter GBC game a few days ago. It's actually pretty solid so far, I love how they made it an RPG. The HP franchise deserves to be remade in this style, I reckon.

-KRS-

The GBA SP has this unique quirk, that it must have a functioning battery, even to play on the charger. I've purchased numerous "broken" GBA SPs in the past for dirt cheap, and all they needed was a new battery.

Oh I didn't know that. Wow that sucks. =/

I started playing the first Harry Potter GBC game a few days ago. It's actually pretty solid so far, I love how they made it an RPG. The HP franchise deserves to be remade in this style, I reckon.
Goos to know I'm not the only one who got suckered by that other thread into buying them.

Grief.exe

There was a great thread the other day about those games. One of the developers came in and commented on the development.

Apparently, the publisher didn't really care about the GBC versions, so left the studio to their own devices and weren't meddling with creative control.

Teknoman

There was a great thread the other day about those games. One of the developers came in and commented on the development.

Apparently, the publisher didn't really care about the GBC versions, so left the studio to their own devices and weren't meddling with creative control.

That seems like the best situation anyone could ask for. I wonder if thats usually what causes most licensed games to waste potential?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

This thread made me buy both of the GBC games. I really need to get around to playing them. The easter eggs sound so good.

How are the GBA games? I think I have a couple of each lying around.

The GBA Harry Potter games were ok. They focused more on puzzle solving and platforming than the console/PC versions. Prisoner of Azkaban was an RPG though.

Grief.exe

That seems like the best situation anyone could ask for. I wonder if thats usually what causes most licensed games to waste potential?

Honestly, that describes the process for the majority of AAA games these days.

Creative control is taken away from the developers in order to satisfy focus groups filled with the lowest common denominator.

sackferret

Neo Member
I just had a read through that Harry Potter thread. Some really good stuff there, and it's cool that a developer revealed some interesting background and easter eggs.

I'm glad I decided to give the first one a shot. Definitely looking to get the second one now.

Goos to know I'm not the only one who got suckered by that other thread into buying them.

Hahaha, I only just saw the other thread, and already had the game from an eBay bundle a few year ago. But that thread made me want the Chamber of Secrets as well, that's for sure.

I feel like the GameBoy threads should merge. Most of the retro threads are "Appreciation and Collecting".

To be honest I didn't even know there was a GB Appreciation thread separate to this one.

sackferret

Neo Member
I feel like the GameBoy threads should merge. Most of the retro threads are "Appreciation and Collecting".

To be honest I didn't even know there was a GB Appreciation thread separate to this one.

Yeah, I definitely think they should be merged. The discussions here are what you'd see in an appreciation thread already, the OP and title just need to be changed.

Grief.exe

Eh, I think they should be kept separate. They're different consoles.

Well yes, but fans of GBA/GB/GBC and DS collecting aren't mutually exclusive. They both enjoy collecting some of the best handheld games of all time.

No need to have separate threads, especially when discussion in this thread moves at a glacial pace.

Whats that motocross game, I remember playing it back in the 90s, not sure if its the same one but I cant remember the name, there were little ramps and loops and it was really hard.

Edit: googled that collection and it turns out it is Motocross Maniacs, cant wait to own it again.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well yes, but fans of GBA/GB/GBC and DS collecting aren't mutually exclusive. They both enjoy collecting some of the best handheld games of all time.

No need to have separate threads, especially when discussion in this thread moves at a glacial pace.

Might as well merge the threads. The DS thread moves even slower than this one, and it would be nice to keep it going even slightly faster than it is now.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It would really be win/win.

Maybe we can put together a unified OP of some kind.

I like the format of both threads' OPs. For a hypothetical unified OP, sticking to what's already there seems like the best option. The recommendations sections for each could be bolstered a bit. Have a section dedicated to different models of each system, a section on spotting fake copies, screenshots for some of the games.

Here's the bulk of my GB/GBA/GBC collection. There are a couple of things missing from the pics that I couldn't find (Oracle of Seasons, for example. Probably another half a dozen cartridges that are around the house somewhere)

Edit looking at the pics, I think I am missing closer to a dozen games. Hmm.. I know I have all of the Classic NES Series games, for example.

hardware said:

My few boxed games said:

GB and GBC said:

GBA said:

Can anyone speak to the differences between a GBA SP 101 vs one of the Rose Colored Gaming Modded Original GBA units?

Does the RCG modded GBA have better screen quality at all than the 101?

I'm debating if I want to get one of those, or stick with my SP and just get a new battery for it.

I could probably sell the backlit SP for $60-70 and put it towards the RCG GBA.

I really like the form factor of the original GBA, and that's my main interest, but it would probably help put me over the fence if the screen quality is better, and I can just use normal rechargeable batteries.

Have any of you guys seen how hard it is to get GBA flashcarts these days? Nobody sells them anymore. I take about a 5 hour road trip to visit family a few times a year and I hate having to gather together my GBA carts in a big bulky case. I have a smaller flashcart I bought to play Mother 3's translation (and yes i own the original JPN version) but it only holds about 5 games. I do count myself lucky to have that flashcart though at all!

Can anyone speak to the differences between a GBA SP 101 vs one of the Rose Colored Gaming Modded Original GBA units?

Does the RCG modded GBA have better screen quality at all than the 101?

I'm debating if I want to get one of those, or stick with my SP and just get a new battery for it.

I could probably sell the backlit SP for $60-70 and put it towards the RCG GBA.

I really like the form factor of the original GBA, and that's my main interest, but it would probably help put me over the fence if the screen quality is better, and I can just use normal rechargeable batteries.

Have any of you guys seen how hard it is to get GBA flashcarts these days? Nobody sells them anymore. I take about a 5 hour road trip to visit family a few times a year and I hate having to gather together my GBA carts in a big bulky case. I have a smaller flashcart I bought to play Mother 3's translation (and yes i own the original JPN version) but it only holds about 5 games. I do count myself lucky to have that flashcart though at all!

From what I can tell from the information on the RCG site, it seems like they use AGS-101 screens in the modded GBAs, so the screen should be exactly the same as the SP101.
Only difference I could think of is whether the bezel/screen lens thing might be slightly different?

Top Bottom