• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

YAY! New pickups!

MegaManZero1and2_zps858e459e.jpg

Managed to grab these two for $20. Very reasonable prices considering they're complete, especially Zero (one) been trying to grab that one for quite awhile. After I beat Metroid Zero Mission I'll move onto these!

They are incredulously challenging however haha, I remember getting my ass obliterated trying to beat this as a kid.

Next game I'm trying to find is Metal Slug Advance...it will take a lot longer to get that one reasonably priced.

EDIT: Also my quest for an SP AGS 101 persists, I bought a DS lite but I prefer the button pressure/texture of SP as well as the portability of the SP single clam shell design, only problem is the lack of headphone jacks with that it would be the ultimate handheld
(well I guess its tied with ds but meh)

baphomet

Anyone in here have an extra ribbon cable they would want to sell for putting the ags 101 screen in the og model? I just emailed zerry (or whatever his name is), but i thought it would be a good idea to ask in here. If so pm me please.

Anyone in here have an extra ribbon cable they would want to sell for putting the ags 101 screen in the og model? I just emailed zerry (or whatever his name is), but i thought it would be a good idea to ask in here. If so pm me please.

Th think I might have an extra 40-pin ribbon cable somewhere. Do you need that one or the 32-pin?

baphomet

Th think I might have an extra 40-pin ribbon cable somewhere. Do you need that one or the 32-pin?

Took me a few to figure out which one i even needed. It looks to be a 40 pin. If you do happen to come across it let me know, ill gladly buy it from you. Thanks a bunch

inner-G

Banned
Just scored Revelations: Demon Slayer, Mario Deluxe and both Oracle games CIB for $7.99 each at my local game store! :0

Edit:
iU1ioCe.jpg

Celegus

Wish it came with the box, but I just happened on Metroid Fusion at Half Price Books for $5. Can't beat that! I used to play my brother's copy all the time, got to the point where I could speedrun the game in about 1:15, and never used a guide or any external help.

Nice pickup even though it's just the cart, that's a good price on Fusion. It's a great game too, I even think it can hang with Super and Prime.

I got Fusion last year at a flea market for $4, but the cart was it pretty ugly condition. A kind forumgoer on another forum hooked me up with his spare box, manual and inserts though. That was really nice.

cafemomo

silly question, Is it possible to get water stains out of the box?

Accidentally spilled some water on my drill dozer box and the small ploch on it is kinda driving me nuts since it's a perfectly good box.

-KRS-

How hard is it to replace the front lens on an original GBA?

If it's anything like replacing the protective lens on a GB/Pocket/Color, then not hard at all. You just get something flat to shove under the lens and sort of just bend it off. The replacement lenses usually have glue on them already so you just stick them on.

It might be totally different on GBA though but I don't think it is.

sackferret

Neo Member
So what are some of the rarest/hardest to find GB/GBC games? I'm looking at starting a collection and want to know what to look out for.

-KRS-

Also isn't that For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru) rare too? That's an RPG in Japanese though so that is probably pretty hard to play unless you know Japanese.

Edit: Oh searching ebay for Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, it doesn't seem to be that expensive.

-KRS-

Not sure but it looks like it. I actually know very little about that game because I didn't even hear about it until this thread.

Edit: Reading a bit it seems that Links Awakening uses a more developed/polished version of this game's engine. It certainly does look like a simpler LA engine in videos. Hmm I wonder if that screen warp glitch in LA works in this game.

Got a gba sp for 5$ garage sale hunting....had to buy another charger off ebay since I lost mine. Excited to see if I had finally found an AGS 101 (the damn label was torn off to tell) I inputted the charger to discover it was a 001

:(

Well...at least I have another sp?

sackferret

Neo Member
Got a gba sp for 5$ garage sale hunting....had to buy another charger off ebay since I lost mine. Excited to see if I had finally found an AGS 101 (the damn label was torn off to tell) I inputted the charger to discover it was a 001

Unlucky, mate. The AGS-101 never even made it to Australia. :(

John Blade

Just won this ebay auction sale. Now, just waiting for this item to arrive to my location. Always want to get this item for my GBA collection. Hope it's worth $20 USD.

13122405097.JPG

sackferret

Neo Member
Okay, pulled out all the Game Boy and Color games that I own (about 16 or so, not many) and sorted through them. I noticed that the majority of my games have the serial code DMG-(game specific)-AUS. I'm Australian, so this is all good.

Except my copy of Fist of the North Star has DMG-HK-USA. So I just guessed that it's a USA copy that got imported at some point. To double check, I went on NintendoAge, but it only has it listed as USA.

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&egID=32822&lgID=32822&sID=32822

I also checked eBay, and there's only one Australian seller who has it listed. It's a USA copy in the listing too.

This is all the same for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on GBC too, except there's 17 listings, and all of the USA copy.

So I was wondering if anyone on GAF has more information about games that were sold in Australia with the USA code (or EUR code. I have two or three of them too). Since there was no region locking there wouldn't be an issue with it, so I'm thinking that some companies just published in Australia, and maybe Europe, with the USA copies.

I'm looking at collecting exclusively AUS/EUR copies, so I'd like to know for sure and possibly find out what games never got published with the AUS/EUR code.

And finally, my copy of Double Dragon is AUS, but when you boot it up it says "For play only in US and Canada". Anyone know anything about this?

I think that's it. These might be stupid questions that are easily answered, but I'm interested to find out anyway.

^
My guess with Double Dragon is that they used the same cartridges worldwide, and maybe didn't even really take notice of that 'Only in US and Canada' warning in the actual game cart. Hard to say.

I have a question though. I've noticed this has happened to my GBA SP as well as my DS Lite recently, neither will charge reliably.
I plug the cable in, and it'll illuminate the charge light for a few moments and then it will stop charging until I wiggle the connector for the charger around a bit.
In the case of the GBA, I've tried replacing both the charging cable and the internal battery, and it's made no difference. With the DSlite, I've tried multiple cables.

Is it a common issue for internal connectors to become unresponsive in li-ion Nintendo handhelds? Sucks, because I've kept the consoles in near pristine condition yet both have come down with this problem.

I haven't been trying to grow my GameBoy collection, but I grab shit here and there when I find it for a cheap price. Found Mega Man 5 for $25 last night, which is a pretty good price looking at eBay and Amazon. Just need 1 and 4 now.

My humble little collection:

Top Bottom