• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peagles

@Peagles: I guess it reminds me a little of interlacing yes, but not quite like the kind of interlacing you see on modern TVs. I've never seen a PSP 3000 screen so dunno. Don't you have a GBC to try it with?! :)

And I don't have a DS Lite specifically, but I've never seen this effect on any other DS screen. Or any other screen at all for that matter.

Edit: To be clear, the GBC screen only shows this "interlacing" while you're moving it around in front of you. Not if the game itself moves/scrolls/whatever. At least from what I remember. I rarely play on my GBCs these days.

Yeh I have 4-5 sitting around here but never really noticed it before. I only mention the PSP3000 because it was a major sore point for people at the time it came out. My friend sold his to me and bought another 2000 because he couldn't bare it, it's not something that's very noticeable to me though.

Yes! It's kind of like interlacing. It's weird because it's not on my GBA SP+ and it looked off which is why I returned it. Thing is, I win an auction with a Wii (homebrewed as it turned out), purple cube (port 1 broken but otherwise perfect for the purple GBP I picked up), a black Hori GCN (main reason I bid) and icing on the cake was a GBA SP+ which works but the side hinge is broken making it perfect to transplant the screen! I wasn't sure if RCG uses original screens and the effect came from different connections or if they have "3rd" party screens and thus my transplant idea would still be viable. That said I couldn't get great pics of the effect (even with my buddies DSLR) and I'm not sure I'm explaining it well now either...

Did you try adjusting the screen potentiometer on the back of the system? My backlight AGB-001 screen looked a little off too until a messed with the pot. I only knew it existed because I remember playing with it as a kid and kinda messing up the screens on my GBC/GBA (too bright/dark/weird lines).

EDIT: Link to an ancient article

Guess I will consider getting one in the future then.

I completely forgot about the bottom screen. Should work properly. Both the AGS-101 and the DS Lite screens are the same, no?

Games don't look bad on my TV. Sometimes, they look much better than some SNES games.
S-video cables did almost no change to the quality of the GBA games for me. I think. I did not compare both composite and S-video to check. I noticed that the GB player softens the screen, even when I put it on sharp.

Is it me, or does Zero Mission have the sound quality in any GBA game? It lacks the typical hissing sound it comes from GBA games.

I can attest that composite is absolute shit compared to S-Video lol upgraded about 4 months ago and its like I have new eyes. Much sharper, much more vibrant colors imo. Best thing aside from Component/RGB of course unquestionably.

TnK

No. Both are backlit LCDs, but the DSL screen is higher resolution with a greater pixel density than the AGS-101

I remember the DSL does not output a full screen pic, and instead, excludes the outer pixels. Unless the GBA SP has a bigger screen, then I have no idea.

I can attest that composite is absolute shit compared to S-Video lol upgraded about 4 months ago and its like I have new eyes. Much sharper, much more vibrant colors imo. Best thing aside from Component/RGB of course unquestionably.

Guess I should try both and check then.

Grief.exe

Hey guys, so I have been working on a scale GB/GBA box that we can print out onto card stock and create an actual box that looks similar to your existing collection. The issue I run into currently is the DS cases work fine, but look strange when they are mixed in with the standard boxes.
I figure this is a cheap way to accent your existing collection with boxes while not paying the massive price for the complete package.

The dimensions are:
Front & Back: 12.4 cm x 12.4 cm
Sides: 12.4 cm x 2.3 cm
Resolution: 300 pixels/inch

Now, I am not entirely sure whether this will print out correctly yet, but Staples uses Photoshop to adjust their prints and, theoretically, it should work.

Here is one of the first prototypes I have mocked up, the rest of the sides will just be the standard orange color.

ikffh7ytlnFle.jpg

The original cases aren't easily available online, people only upload the dimensions of DS cases at this point which makes the creation of these more difficult. What is really frustrating is over at vgboxart, people have created hundreds of unique GBA cases for DS, but its a rarity for people to provide the download link as well. For example, here is an awesome case design, but it is completely unusable.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The original cases aren't easily available online, people only upload the dimensions of DS cases at this point which makes the creation of these more difficult. What is really frustrating is over at vgboxart, people have created hundreds of unique GBA cases for DS, but its a rarity for people to provide the download link as well. For example, here is an awesome case design, but it is completely unusable.

But... what's the point of those amazing created box arts, if they don't upload the clean versions of them, so we can print and whatever?

polg

i see lots of people just pick up carts without cardboard boxes. I'm being really picky about getting games with boxes and manuals but... It's getting to the point where certain games are impossible to find. How do you guys store them without boxes?

Grief.exe

i see lots of people just pick up carts without cardboard boxes. I'm being really picky about getting games with boxes and manuals but... It's getting to the point where certain games are impossible to find. How do you guys store them without boxes?

Most people buy the old DS cases that have the GBA inserts in them and use those. You can even cut the sides out to fit GB and GBC games as well.

Print out covers from various sources such as The Cover Project or VG Box Art to put in the sleeve.

But... what's the point of those amazing created box arts, if they don't upload the clean versions of them, so we can print and whatever?

I have no idea why they go through all of that effort for literally no reason other than their own collections.

Windam

Scaley member

If it's a game from a related series, I put them in the box of another game I own (ex. The Minish Cap is in my A Link to the Past box). And I'd hate to quote on the same page, but maybe my other post was missed? Doubt it, but here it is again:

Is there a site that specifically sells manuals for old games? I'm asking because I got my copy of Pokemon Yellow (game + box) used yeeeeeeears ago at EB Games for $10. Not too bad, but there was no manual. I'm now in the habit of needing (not really, but I would much prefer it) my games to be "complete" (box with original artwork + manual) so this kind of grates on me. A lot. So yeah, anyone know where I could pick up a(n) (original) Pokemon Yellow manual?

anyone have an answer other than eBay, or is eBay all I got? It's over $9 for the Pokemon Yellow manual alone there, some are around $20, too. x__x

polg

Thanks for the replies. I've gone through and made boxes for some GBA games... I just don't have the patience for that anymore. I like the idea of storing them on "same series" boxes.

More questions:
a) Do you guys use any tracking software for your collections? I had delicious library, but I don't have a mac anymore. I've been looking for something on my iPad but all the apps I looked at seemed half a$$ed

b) How do you manage what games are you looking for? I have a list on listal.com... but I hate that site.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
a) Do you guys use any tracking software for your collections? I had delicious library, but I don't have a mac anymore. I've been looking for something on my iPad but all the apps I looked at seemed half a$$ed.

Backloggery.com is what you want.

Grief.exe

Mzo

They threw an innumerable number of cases right into the trash here in the US.

You can watch Youtube videos of people dumpster diving for them. No joke.

Worst company.

Jinto

They threw an innumerable number of cases right into the trash here in the US.

You can watch Youtube videos of people dumpster diving for them. No joke.

Worst company.

Damn. I was reading through the PS2 thread regarding those cheap PS2 games, and wondering what they did with all the cases. The EB Games' stores here still have pretty much all their PS2 and DS games with cases.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Aria of Sorrow spine was done all black to emulate Circle of the Moon's Spine.

Do you want a high quality scan (or as good as my Epson inkjet+scanner combo can provide) of the aria of sorrow box (or any of the other GBA/DS Castlevanias, in fact)? I can provide you with that. I wouldn't dismantle the box, so it would be all black around it, since the scanner top would be open, but I could do it.

Hell, I'd even do the manuals if you wnat.

Grief.exe

Do you want a high quality scan (or as good as my Epson inkjet+scanner combo can provide) of the aria of sorrow box (or any of the other GBA/DS Castlevanias, in fact)? I can provide you with that. I wouldn't dismantle the box, so it would be all black around it, since the scanner top would be open, but I could do it.

Hell, I'd even do the manuals if you wnat.

Its ok, I actually enjoy putting them together from scratch.

Now that I have a few of these planned out I need to configure them in an optimal way to fold up into a box.

smbu2000

I just picked up my first Gameboy Color. I've only owned an original GB and later I had a GBA. Nothing in between though. The screen is in decent condition and just has light scratches mainly around the screen. The GBA had some stickers around the screen, but otherwise is in good condition. I picked up both together in a bundle for about 2,500 yen shipped.

I also have a Gameboy Pocket on the way as well.

Yay! I finally found a legit copy of Leaf Green in a local used game store. I think I technically now have a Pokemon from each gen, not counting the original GB games (Leaf Green, Emerald, Heart Gold, Platinum, White 2, Y).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Thanks for the replies. I've gone through and made boxes for some GBA games... I just don't have the patience for that anymore. I like the idea of storing them on "same series" boxes.

More questions:
a) Do you guys use any tracking software for your collections? I had delicious library, but I don't have a mac anymore. I've been looking for something on my iPad but all the apps I looked at seemed half a$$ed

b) How do you manage what games are you looking for? I have a list on listal.com... but I hate that site.

I use Google Docs to keep track of stuff - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...G94Q1Nrd3k1ekdPV0RieXJMMk5oN3c&hl=en_US#gid=9

Grief.exe

Here is the first try. Turned out pretty good except for my horrible folding. If I had folded the spine correctly than it probably would have turned out perfectly.

oTckzfn.jpg

cVjcsXU.jpg

poiyaUK.jpg

TnK

Here is the first try. Turned out pretty good except for my horrible folding. If I had folded the spine correctly than it probably would have turned out perfectly.
pics

That looks really good actually. What I also like is the condition that you are keeping your other GBA games in. Now I am somewhat annoyed that I can't find the GBA games in that condition on Ebay, lol.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure it's a proprietary Nintendo plug.

Edit: How are the Breath of Fire GBA ports?

I've been playing BoF intermittently and it's a good port. Like a lot of SNES to GBA games, sound quality takes a hit, but everything else about it is fine. If you can find for a good price (I bought a CIB copy for about $20ish), by all means buy it.

prateeko

I've been wanting to find the old DS cases with GBA slots in em. Anyone seen any good sellers on EBay? I have all my old cardboard boxes somewhere in my folks place (all the games were stolen >.< but boxes were elsewhere) so I'd like to get some storage for the games I've been buying as part of my rebuilding effort.

Grief.exe

Thanks for all the positive words guys, and if you have any criticisms or design improvement ideas then I would love to hear them.

I went and partially corrected the fold so it is more like how it should be. You can see the crease here where I screwed up the folding initially, but, overall, it looks much better and is not distinguishable from a distance.

I have Minish Cap, Aria of Sorrow, Zero Mission, and Pokemon red ready to go so I may go out and get those printed today after class.

btrVbto.png

pikablu

I've been playing BoF intermittently and it's a good port. Like a lot of SNES to GBA games, sound quality takes a hit, but everything else about it is fine. If you can find for a good price (I bought a CIB copy for about $20ish), by all means buy it.

I've also been playing ti intermittently and its really good. I was blown away by how bright the colors are. Its a great and simple game to play whenever as well. Story isn't really confusing and its just so easy to pick up and play.

Arturo

bit Generations is a video game franchise for the Game Boy Advance, published by Nintendo. It was first announced under the name Digitylish at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in 2005.[1] Each of the games in the series feature simple controls, gameplay and graphics. All the games were developed by Skip Ltd., except for Digidrive, which was developed by Q-Games.

The bit Generations series has only been released in Japan. The games were released in two "series" - the games in Series One were released in Japan on July 13, 2006. Series Two was released on July 27, 2006. However, from June 1, 2006, Nintendo had sent out 700 copies of the games to random Club Nintendo members, encouraging them to preview the games and to post their opinions at the bit Generations official website.

Source: Wikipedia

I LOVE this collection. I got all of them a few years ago…

All of them
bitgenerations-02.jpg

Boundish
boundish-02.jpg

boundish-01.jpg

Coloris
coloris-01.jpg

coloris-03.jpg

Dialhex
dialhex-03.jpg

dialhex-01.jpg

Digidrive