• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

A local shop has Mega Man Battle Network 3 in stock, I might go pick it up today.

Is it viable, in terms of both story and mechanically, to skip the first 2 games in the series?

-KRS-

Don't you have something similar in Germany?`In Sweden we have something called Blocket.se which is basically craigslist.

Edit: Though I doubt you'd be able to find those things on blocket...

Joni

I finally got through trading all my Pokémon from the Game Boy Advance to the Nintendo DS, so it is time to let my final two games go.
Okay, I still have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but that is part of my Final Fantasy collection
. Anyone in the European Union interested?

Pokémon Sapphire
http://imageshack.com/a/img839/9049/u1hy.jpg

Pokémon FireRed
http://imageshack.com/a/img577/2230/shht.jpg

Dirty White Game Boy Advance, no box.
http://imageshack.com/a/img32/4048/1xrt.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img19/3028/3ea4.jpg

maxcriden

A local shop has Mega Man Battle Network 3 in stock, I might go pick it up today.

Is it viable, in terms of both story and mechanically, to skip the first 2 games in the series?

From what I remember plot is pretty important to this series, and one of the many enjoyable aspects of it. The first one I think is the only one I played. I'd definitely recommend waiting and starting from the beginning. If you don't mind me asking, where are you picking it up?

Grief.exe

From what I remember plot is pretty important to this series, and one of the many enjoyable aspects of it. The first one I think is the only one I played. I'd definitely recommend waiting and starting from the beginning. If you don't mind me asking, where are you picking it up?

Doc's video games, looks to be one of the best retro game stores in Denver, but I haven't had a chance to get there yet. Just in a real awkward place for me to get to.

maxcriden

Doc's video games, looks to be one of the best retro game stores in Denver, but I haven't had a chance to get there yet. Just in a real awkward place for me to get to.

Sweet. I wish we had a good video game store in Vermont. As in, anywhere in the state! It was cool to go to CA recently and check out some of their indie game stores.

Drago

But I did find some GBA Micro special Mother 3 edition. Look at this baby:

Mother-07.jpg

Man, Japan always has all the best stuff.

It's so beautiful. It's my #1 most wanted collectors item, especially with Mother 3 being my game of all time, but man is it expensive! It ranges from around $600-700 from what I've seen recently, it's nuts.

But I want it so bad... :(

ThePizzaGuy

Neo Member
I just bought Pokemon Emerald, Ruby, and FireRed from Ebay for $30. The guy has good ratings and ships from the US, and nothing in the picture made me think they are fakes. If they are, I'll just get Ebay/Paypal to do a chargeback.

99% sure those are fake judging from his other auctions.

Grizzo

GBA RPG recommendations? Outside of the typical Pokemon and Final Fantasy?

Golden Sun & Golden Sun The Lost Age are the right answers.

You also have a lot of SNES/Genesis ports like Breath Of Fire I and II, Phantasy Star Collection, Shining Force and Tales of Phantasia.

I also really liked Shining Soul.

Grief.exe

GBA RPG recommendations? Outside of the typical Pokemon and Final Fantasy?

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Megaman Battle Network Series
Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stone (SRPG)
Golden Sun I & II
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Metroidvanias have light RPG elements and its one of my favorite games)

Windam

Scaley member
The OEM GBA SP charger I ordered from eBay has shipped! I don't know how I had only one charger with two GBA SPs. Maybe I gave the other one away? Anyway, sold the last one with my original frontlit GBA SP (was in horrible shape :/) a few months back. I'll be glad to be able to play GBA games on an actual GBA again rather than my DS Lite.

Grief.exe

Got Mega Man Battle Network 2 today. The store I went to actually had a good selection of classic GB/GBA games, including the rest of the Battle Network series (except the first one), which surprised me since those can be difficult to find. They also had some copies of Mega Man Zero, but they were a bit expensive.

A guy that was there bought Oracle of Ages, which I am currently playing on 3DS and we talked for a bit.

I actually opened it up because the label didn't look like it lined up correctly. Everything checks out though. Seems like a brand new copy, not even a save on file.

6CeF0S2.jpg

The Japanese retail box for BN2 is awesome
Japanese box art is always better

0bbw9_480p.jpg

smbu2000

It's so beautiful. It's my #1 most wanted collectors item, especially with Mother 3 being my game of all time, but man is it expensive! It ranges from around $600-700 from what I've seen recently, it's nuts.

But I want it so bad... :(
Yeah, it looks good. I remember awhile back I saw a used one with box a bit beat up for 8000 or 9000 yen. I remember thinking it was so expensive. I definitely should have picked it up.
Later on I just picked up the Famicom color Micro as I couldn't find the Mother 3 one for a reasonable price.

The lowest I usually see sellers selling it for is about the 30,000 yen range. It is relatively cheaper here in Japan.

Oh my GB Pocket arrived. Very good condition and only 1200 yen shipped with a couple of games. (Wario land, Card Captor Sakura and some others)
I'm liking it better than the GB Color I got. Maybe it's because I grew up with the OG GB so it's more like it with less bulk.
Will post a pic when I get back home.

Grief.exe

Got a Pokemon Silver box going, but waiting to see if I can find a high-res GBC border for the front. I'll probably play around with the back a bit too.

lwiquyD.jpg

Mega Man Battle Network 2 box is complete though. Emulating the spine of other Mega Man games on GBA 1 2

baphomet

They're super overpriced unfortunately. They are, however, the only place to get imports for pretty much any system. It's all the way out in Aurora which isn't anywhere near where I'm at.

Game force in boulder is a good place to check out if you're ever over there, as well as level 7 games around federal and Alameda.

Zalman

Got a Pokemon Silver box going, but waiting to see if I can find a high-res GBC border for the front. I'll probably play around with the back a bit too.

lwiquyD.jpg
I see you're using an anime Raikou. For the sake of consistency, I would choose the Sugimori artwork instead. It would then match the Entei, Snorlax and Lugia a little bit more. Not really sure if that matters to you, but here's the artwork if you want it.

Grief.exe

Now thats some box art.

I like that piece far better than the one that is on the actual box art.

They're super overpriced unfortunately. They are, however, the only place to get imports for pretty much any system. It's all the way out in Aurora which isn't anywhere near where I'm at.

Game force in boulder is a good place to check out if you're ever over there, as well as level 7 games around federal and Alameda.

Its so strange, they were all over the place.

I got 3 PS2 games for less than $10
Essentially brand new Mega Man BN2 for $8
Xensoaga 3 for $5

Meanwhile all Pokemon and Zelda GB-GBA games were $30+, Kingdom Hearts 1/2 and FF X/XII were $20+.

I'll have to check out Level 7 again, haven't been there for a few years. My gf loves hiking and shopping in Boulder, so I'm sure we will be in that area soon.

Grief.exe

I see you're using an anime Raikou. For the sake of consistency, I would choose the Sugimori artwork instead. It would then match the Entei, Snorlax and Lugia a little bit more. Not really sure if that matters to you, but here's the artwork if you want it.

Thanks, I was actually trying to stick with a similar art style rather than going with the anime. Couldn't tell the difference with the Raikou.

Edit: meant to edit this into my first post.

Where do you find these? Craigslist?

I've never found shit of value on Craigslist around here. Luckily I am in an area that actually has a good amount of retro game stores that sell things for less than eBay prices. There's no way I would have anywhere near the collection I have if I was forced to buy on eBay or the like.

Grief.exe

Same here, makes everything look so action packed...kinda conveys the feeling of the final boss battle.

I love finding concept art or fan art for these boxes. Especially when the original cover art sucks.

Updated the Pokemon Silver box with a brighter color, updated Raikou art, and screenshots.

Still trying to find a high-res Game Boy Color template for the front of the box. If I don't find one, then I will probably just continue using the regular Game Boy template.

iVPGWh6.jpg

smbu2000

Here is the GB Pocket with the games I picked up in that auction. The games are Hamster Club, Card Captor Sakura, Wario Land, Moguranya (with moles), Kirby 2 and Tamagotchi 2. It seems like the previous owner was a girl, hehe.

Anyway, the system is in excellent condition and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I'd have liked on it is having a "power light" so I know if it's on or not/battery is low like on my old GB.

I had also picked up Tales of Fantasia: Narikiri Dungeon not too long ago for my gf to play. Link to pic below.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102051788&postcount=7947

Top Bottom