• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Today's pickups:

fG1KAIr.jpg

Tomorrow I will finally have something to play these on as long as weather doesn't fuck up UPS.

TnK

bit Generations is a video game franchise for the Game Boy Advance, published by Nintendo. It was first announced under the name Digitylish at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in 2005.[1] Each of the games in the series feature simple controls, gameplay and graphics. All the games were developed by Skip Ltd., except for Digidrive, which was developed by Q-Games.

The bit Generations series has only been released in Japan. The games were released in two "series" - the games in Series One were released in Japan on July 13, 2006. Series Two was released on July 27, 2006. However, from June 1, 2006, Nintendo had sent out 700 copies of the games to random Club Nintendo members, encouraging them to preview the games and to post their opinions at the bit Generations official website.

Source: Wikipedia

I LOVE this collection. I got all of them a few years ago…

All of them
bitgenerations-02.jpg

Boundish
boundish-02.jpg

boundish-01.jpg

Coloris
coloris-01.jpg

coloris-03.jpg

Dialhex
dialhex-03.jpg

dialhex-01.jpg

Digidrive
digidrive-03.jpg

digidrive-01.jpg

Dotstream
dotstream-04.jpg

dotstream-08.jpg

dotstream-06.jpg

Orbital
orbital-03.jpg

orbital-02.jpg

Sound Voyager
soundvoyager-01.jpg

soundvoyager-03.jpg

I wanted to buy these back in the day, but never could. How are they?

@hero: You have MMZero 1-3, so you better be playing them on a GB Player. Also, I highly recommend playing 4 to finish off the story.

bit Generations is a video game franchise for the Game Boy Advance, published by Nintendo. It was first announced under the name Digitylish at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in 2005.[1] Each of the games in the series feature simple controls, gameplay and graphics. All the games were developed by Skip Ltd., except for Digidrive, which was developed by Q-Games.

The bit Generations series has only been released in Japan. The games were released in two "series" - the games in Series One were released in Japan on July 13, 2006. Series Two was released on July 27, 2006. However, from June 1, 2006, Nintendo had sent out 700 copies of the games to random Club Nintendo members, encouraging them to preview the games and to post their opinions at the bit Generations official website.

Source: Wikipedia

I LOVE this collection. I got all of them a few years ago…

All of them

How much did it set you back picking those up?

Nice! I have had trouble finding any Mega Man GBA games locally. Specifically looking for Mega Man Battle Network 2, since I've heard that is one of the best in the series.

I actually just got into GBA because I saw so many of the Mega Mans together. I need Zero 4 and BN 1-3 now. I'm pretty sure the place I got Zero 1 & 2 from had all the BNs. I should have grabbed them, but I'm not super interested in them and was already spending enough.

cafemomo

Gradius is the only one I played, and I really enjoyed it. I recommend checking it out.

Thanks, any on the GBA?

I've been on a shmups spree lately. Bought a whole bunch of them on my SFC :S

Time to give some of my handhelds some shmup love

@grief.exe

I work at a print shop I know what Imma do during my down period now.

I'm assuming you use 110lb cardstock?

Grief.exe

Thanks, any on the GBA?

I've been on a shmups spree lately. Bought a whole bunch of them on my SFC :S

Time to give some of my handhelds some shmup love

@grief.exe

I work at a print shop I know what Imma do during my down period now.

I'm assuming you use 110lb cardstock?

Did you check out the recent Steam release of Ikaruga?

I'm just using the only variety of matte card stock they have at Office Max, its not particularly thick either.

cafemomo

Ikaruga is on Steam now? Boy am I late to the party.

I don't think we carry matte cardstock, I'll print them on 64 & 110lb cardstock and experiment with other papers such as color expressions.

Would you happen to have a clean template?

Got My first sealed GBA game! I generally avoid sealed collecting like the plague as I go by the personal philosophy of actually playing my games instead of displaying them only as mantle pieces, but since I already owned this game loose I browsed the web looking to complete it hopefully on the cheap and saw this listed online. Short to say I impulsed bought it for 30$, instantly pounced (seeing as the game goes for more cib let alone sealed.) One of my favorite games of all time let alone entries in the fantastic series:

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

FE3_zps4f4f4a05.jpg

FE2_zps96e54bf1.jpg

and here lies the rub

FE1_zps205a8ac2.jpg

SO I did know it was "crushed" but thankfully the seal remains intact, and for the price sealed my mind justifies it even in its condition. All in all I'm really happy to finally have literally my first and only sealed game in my humbly growing collection!

Grief.exe

I got the new ones printed out and completed, I am getting damn good at folding. My phone certainly doesn't do the colors justice, they are quite vibrant. What you see sticking out of the boxes in the first picture are the DS cases that I had storing the games originally, makes a great way to hold the games and fits snugly inside the GBA box.

The fakes are Aria of Sorrow, Golden Sun, Harvest Moon, Mario & Luigi (first one I did, screwed up the folding), Zero Mission, Pokemon Red, and Minish Cap.

ibkV3IIIJ0OVnv.png

Templates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0tymo19r7n0ztp/GBA Template.psd
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgqh8f8g6y6cd90/Tabs.png

The latter is the tabs file I use when I am ready to print. I just open the completed file into this one, and EDIT > Fill and use whatever color I need. Make sure you have preserve transparency checked.

The design is far from perfect so constructive criticism and refinements to the design are always appreciated.

Link to my minus folder where I keep all my GB boxes: http://z46.minus.com/mby7NQjuGbel8e

Arturo

I wanted to buy these back in the day, but never could. How are they?

The games are good, all of them pretty simple, most of them puzzles. My favorite is Dotstream, something like a Tron-esque racing game. Take a look at the gameplay. Soundvoyager is pretty interesting, as it's intended to be played with earphones without looking at the screen.

I like them, I spend quite a few hours with each back in the day.

How much did it set you back picking those up?

Just checked my Play-Asia account, I bought them back in 2006: three of them at $24.90 and the other three at $14.90, not bad considering this was a pretty limited release.

The design is far from perfect so constructive criticism and refinements to the design are always appreciated.

Those are looking good!

Grief.exe

Those are looking good!

I wish my camera was able to capture the solid colors better, they really look much better in person, but I am happy with the results!

I have a couple of N64 games I picked up off of Craigslist that do not have boxes and I may do the same thing for those as well. I'm assuming they make larger pieces of cardstock, since the N64 versions would be much larger at the high-resolution 300 ppi.

I'm not sure where to go next with the GB boxes, I kind of want to make some more but I've done all of my favorite games. Here is the remaining list of games that I care enough to create boxes for, but not sure if I want to go through the effort.

• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Haven't gotten around to this one yet, but I love SRPGs and I have heard good things about this one.
  • Fire Emblem/Mega Man Battle Network 2 - Don't own either of these games yet, but I've been actively searching for them for a while.
  • Metroid II - Would be nice to complete the GB collection.
  • Super Mario Land 2 - Would be cool, but then I would feel compelled to do 1 & 3 as well.
  • Final Fantasy VI - One of my favorites of all time, but I already have the SNES version boxed up so would be redundant.
  • Pokemon Silver - I already have the Red box made and have Heart Gold on DS, so this would be redundant. My nostalgia says otherwise....
  • Golden Sun 2 - Would be easy as I already have the assets for it, but don't think its necessary.
  • Mother 3 - Don't have it, but game is considered a cult classic by many.

The problem with the original GB boxes is it is difficult to find high-res assets. The cover project has some great custom covers that actually use some higher resolution assets, but they don't scale up correctly to fit the full size boxes and there is some logo clipping.

EDIT: Whoa. Look what I just found, would scale down really well. http://photos.imageevent.com/gamesc...i_return_of_samus_poster_scan_gamescanner.jpg

Lynd7

Yeah, I had a quick look around for art for Kururin on GBA, not much luck.. I couldn't even find a high res logo, cause I am thinking of even trying to do some sort of simple original design.

I got the new ones printed out and completed, I am getting damn good at folding. My phone certainly doesn't do the colors justice, they are quite vibrant. What you see sticking out of the boxes in the first picture are the DS cases that I had storing the games originally, makes a great way to hold the games and fits snugly inside the GBA box.

The fakes are Aria of Sorrow, Golden Sun, Harvest Moon, Mario & Luigi (first one I did, screwed up the folding), Zero Mission, Pokemon Red, and Minish Cap.

ibkV3IIIJ0OVnv.png

Templates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0tymo19r7n0ztp/GBA Template.psd
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgqh8f8g6y6cd90/Tabs.png

The latter is the tabs file I use when I am ready to print. I just open the completed file into this one, and EDIT > Fill and use whatever color I need. Make sure you have preserve transparency checked.

Link to my minus folder where I keep all my GB boxes: http://z46.minus.com/mby7NQjuGbel8e

You've out done yourself yet again. Legitimately might have to start questioning if boxes are legit on ebay if these can be replicated so well. Props man.

Grief.exe

Got an FFT:A cover done, almost completed my Super Mario Land 2 cover but its not quite complete.

You might be able to get a good back cover out of this:

1_463_634_90.jpg

Thanks, I will probably cut out one of those marios and use them for the back cover.

I also really like the idea of using the map for the back cover.

You've out done yourself yet again. Legitimately might have to start questioning if boxes are legit on ebay if these can be replicated so well. Props man.

Thanks! I suppose if you perfected the design you could create something that emulates the original boxes perfectly.

You can easily poke holes in my current design as the top, bottom, and back are not perfect. I also don't value authenticity, by that I mean I try to minimize trademark symbols, developer/publisher logos, ESRB, etc. I try to let the art speak for itself for the most part.

The only spot where I don't particularly follow these rules is the back where I have the bar code, seal of quality, nintendo logo, and some legal wording. I mostly use that to easily cover the vast amount of open space I have on the back covers.

Grief.exe

You should make and sell US Mother 3 boxes, grief. I bet a bunch of people would buy 'em.

The potential money I could make would not offset the pain on my back lol!

I am planning on doing a version for Mother 3, I know it is a popular game and a true cult classic. It is an easy design, essentially a red box with a logo, not to say I don't think its gorgeous, I respect the simplicity.
I may even emulate the Japanese version and just use gold lettering to mark the GBA platform rather than the American version.

Not my picture.

DSCF0159.jpg

Grief.exe

Ah, Grief, the SML2 turned out awesome! I love that map. :)

Makes me so nostalgic just looking at it.

Looks good. Where did you get the front image?

From The Cover Project.

I removed both the Nintendo and Seal of Quality logos since those were causing clipping issues when I blew up the image to the size of the GBA box.
I then used colors around that area to smudge the newly made holes so it would fit in.

The Game Pak logo was the only part that I, sadly, had to keep. The actual logo is actually cut off about half way on the right side. Just made a new layer and pasted a new logo on top, covering that up.

EDIT: Just fixed a couple issues with both the SML2 and Metroid II covers, reuploaded and edited in to my original posts.

I posted this in the minimalist art thread, but I've been working on some templates recently to replace some games I have with no covers, and one I'm proud of is this GBA/DS case. If you have any loose GBA carts and empty DS cases, this is a pretty clean way to do it.

I just finished this completely reconstructed Mother 3 version to house my english repro to sit next to my japanese box.

nZomuuU.png

Here's the layered PSD with all sorts of different options.

Windam

Scaley member
Wow Grief, these are so good! :O Kinda wish I didn't trade in/sell so many of my GB games (mostly Pokémon Crystal and Ruby) or my red GameBoy Advance. So pricey to get them these days. >.>

Grief.exe

Wow Grief, these are so good! :O Kinda wish I didn't trade in/sell so many of my GB games (mostly Pokémon Crystal and Ruby) or my red GameBoy Advance. So pricey to get them these days. >.>

Grief, why are your boxes so good? If I didn't put all of my GBA boxes in storage, I'd print out those boxes.

Thanks for the support guys.

I think I will push out the Mother 3 box next. I really like the Japanese design and, metaphorically fits the game with it never leaving Japan.

This is for a DS case, but I can easily reuse the assets in my template.

I got a Game Boy Micro yesterday, but unfortunately the display is a little scratched. I'm looking for a new faceplate (incl. the back), but can't find any. I already checked RoseColoredGaming out, but all their faceplates are sold out.

Does anybody of you know, where I can get new faceplates?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I really love how small and pretty Game Boy Micros are, but they sure scratch and nick so easily. Might be nice if someone made a custom shell of sturdy plastic with a pretty vinyl decal front.

I just love small gaming devices like the Nintendo Mini Classics, the Game Boy Advance Micro, and the Pokemon Mini. Nintendo should make another one :)

n64coder

I got a Game Boy Micro yesterday, but unfortunately the display is a little scratched. I'm looking for a new faceplate (incl. the back), but can't find any. I already checked RoseColoredGaming out, but all their faceplates are sold out.

eBay and forums are probably your best bet. I did get a couple from Nintendo a couple years ago but they're out of stock now.

These are rarer than hen's teeth and usually sell - if you can find them at all - for crazy money... Someone here found some original face plates that were offered by a seller on Amazon.UK for a great price a while back, but they sold out in no time...

Got My first sealed GBA game! I generally avoid sealed collecting like the plague as I go by the personal philosophy of actually playing my games instead of displaying them only as mantle pieces, but since I already owned this game loose I browsed the web looking to complete it hopefully on the cheap and saw this listed online. Short to say I impulsed bought it for 30$, instantly pounced (seeing as the game goes for more cib let alone sealed.) One of my favorite games of all time let alone entries in the fantastic series:

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

FE3_zps4f4f4a05.jpg

FE2_zps96e54bf1.jpg

and here lies the rub

FE1_zps205a8ac2.jpg

SO I did know it was "crushed" but thankfully the seal remains intact, and for the price sealed my mind justifies it even in its condition. All in all I'm really happy to finally have literally my first and only sealed game in my humbly growing collection!
that is NOT an original seal, it is missing the Nintendo band.

Grizzo

Man... I so want to buy an english repro of Mother 3 to play it on the GBA but the idea of somebody making money off of a fan translation sounds kinda iffy...

Grief.exe

You should feel free to grab the assets from my DS case, I took them from my box and cut them out at a slightly higher resolution.

I'll check it out, thanks.

I constantly browse Craogalist and I see them every so often. Check on there locally.

Grizzo

Well there's no way Nintendo would make money from Mother 3 nowadays anyway.

You're right, but in this case the money don't even go to the team who spent hours translating it. I can't seem to find any Mother 3 repro cart on eBay at the moment. Maybe people stopped selling them.

But I did find some GBA Micro special Mother 3 edition. Look at this baby:

Man, Japan always has all the best stuff.

Grief.exe

Question pertaining to both the Fire Emblem and Mega Man Battle Network Series.

I know Mega Man BN 2 & 3 are considered to be the best in the series, is the first game critical to play? Or can I skip it entirely in favor of getting to the better iterations?

It seems that both Fire Emblem games on the GBA are considered to be amazing entries. Is the story connected in anyway or are they completely separate entities?

You're right, but in this case the money don't even go to the team who spent hours translating it. I can't seem to find any Mother 3 repro cart on eBay at the moment. Maybe people stopped selling them.

But I did find some GBA Micro special Mother 3 edition. Look at this baby:

Mother-07.jpg

Man, Japan always has all the best stuff.

That is gorgeous.

Top Bottom