• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Is that Kirby on top of a hamster

tumblr_mn2et1XebE1qam8b5o1_500.png

So, I bought one of these things to play GBA games on the TV. Pretty cool, but not shockingly the games are a bit blurry blown up to a TV screen.

Time to search for a AGS101 like some of you suggested when I first bought some games. Do the SPs have an outer screen cover that can be easily replaced like the Game Boy Colors do, or is the screen just the screen and if it's scratched you're either fucked or replace the whole screen?

Grief.exe

Any other Kirby games you guys would rec?

Going to a store right now

I played Kirby 64: Crystal Shards for a bit a few years ago and I was quite impressed. I'm not too versed on the Kirby games though. One of the reasons why I want to pick up Dreamland 2 myself, supposed to be one of the best.

This would make a great cover, too bad its incredibly low resolution

Kirby_Dream_land_snes_game_boy_by_Ancestral_Z.jpg

Doctor G on Deviant Art made a super high res cover for the original (full version is 2000x2000)

kirby_s_dreamland_by_doctor_g-d6lfnmd.png

Het_Nkik

My favorites are Dream Land 2 (GB), Super Star (SNES/DS), and Mass Attack (DS).

If you don't live in Europe, you can get Kirby's Dream Collection for Wii which has the first 6 platformers on it.

Kainazzo

So, I bought one of these things to play GBA games on the TV. Pretty cool, but not shockingly the games are a bit blurry blown up to a TV screen.

Time to search for a AGS101 like some of you suggested when I first bought some games. Do the SPs have an outer screen cover that can be easily replaced like the Game Boy Colors do, or is the screen just the screen and if it's scratched you're either fucked or replace the whole screen?

So let me get this straight. This will let you play GBA games in 240p? I don't like using the Gamecube player as my TV doesn't accept 480p, and I don't own the Wideboy 64 that takes GBA games. If this works just as well, then you've saved me a ton of trouble!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

If you have a Wii, get Kirby's Dream Collection. It's got Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dreamland 3, and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. All of which are pretty good.

There's also Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA, a remake of Kirby's Adventure.

So let me get this straight. This will let you play GBA games in 240p? I don't like using the Gamecube player as my TV doesn't accept 480p, and I don't own the Wideboy 64 that takes GBA games. If this works just as well, then you've saved me a ton of trouble!

Sure?

Pics of it in action:

It's as good as one would expect a GBA to look being blown up that large. Colors are kind of weak.

Kainazzo

Sure?

Pics of it in action:

It's as good as one would expect a GBA to look being blown up that large. Colors are kind of weak.

Thanks! I was reading a thread on it, but it was a little vague concerning 480i output, and a poster mentioned how nice it would be if it did native 240p. I was thinking it was like a GBA Player, but this sounds even better.

Edit: Ooooooh, this is composite only; I was thinking I could output it through RGB on the SNES. Nevermind, guess I better keep an eye out for those GBA compatible Wideboys >_>. Still, a cool product.

Grief.exe

Just bought my first pokemon games:

547918_10202287305518618_995685873_n.jpg

Btw, where do you buy gameboy and gba game cases?

Everyone has been using DS cases for years, you have to get the old style that has a GBA slot in them.

Lately, I have been creating boxes in photoshop to be printed out on card stock. Not sure if that is quite a viable recommendation yet.

Ahhhh, Dream Land 2. It was one of the first video games I ever got along with my first Game Boy at 10 or 11. Fond memories. I remember being so proud of myself when I figured out how to get all the rainbow drops on my own. It might not sound like much, but there is some pretty difficult puzzle-solving and planning needed to get them all and the game doesn't give many hints. To an experienced gamer it might not be that hard, but as this was my first video game ever, it opened my mind to the idea that games aren't just about getting to the end of each level, but can reward you if you're observant and think carefully about how you can accomplish a longer goal.

Leonsito

Everyone has been using DS cases for years, you have to get the old style that has a GBA slot in them.

Lately, I have been creating boxes in photoshop to be printed out on card stock. Not sure if that is quite a viable recommendation yet.

I just want the clear cartridge-sized ones, there are a few in eBay, but not sure of the price or quality..

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I just want the clear cartridge-sized ones, there are a few in eBay, but not sure of the price or quality..

What brand are they and what do they look like?

The first thing that came to mind were the old Madcatz single cartridge cases. I used to keep all of my GBA games in those and they worked perfectly fine. The ones I have are either box-shaped like the cartridge itself, or are in the shape of a GBA console.

Examples of what I'm talking about:

uzV6LWS.jpg

h7kVBHu.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why the picture was changed, but I assume it had something to do with the picture coming from eBay, since suppadoopa's picture was changed as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I bought some off eBay and it was crystal clear that they were knockoffs. Cheap plastic and low quality. There was a very clear difference between the official cases and the knockoffs.

baphomet

Alright, so I got my ribbon cable to put an AGS 101 screen in the original gba from zerey today. Install was easy enough, but I'm having issues unfortunately. I can't seem to find any info online about this.

My screen is mostly white or missing colors, but when the image fades out it will show the correct image for a split second. I know it's not the screen, I know it's not the GBA its being installed in. As far as I can tell regular gameboy games with perfectly which just make it even more confusing.

Grief.exe

That's common with GS. They had a 24 hour battery for the day and night cycle. It wasn't as long lasting.

The battery for my Emerald pack is actually dead.

When I turn it on, it still has the save but it tells me that 'clock events will not function correctly.'

Leonsito

What brand are they and what do they look like?

The first thing that came to mind were the old Madcatz single cartridge cases. I used to keep all of my GBA games in those and they worked perfectly fine. The ones I have are either box-shaped like the cartridge itself, or are in the shape of a GBA console.

Examples of what I'm talking about:

uzV6LWS.jpg

mJjfGteD7dhI0R9TSvVwg-A.jpg

Yeah, something like that but not that ugly lol

I thought he meant these:
$(KGrHqZ,!q!FI0Qi(ElmBSNJP3LtJQ~~60_35.JPG

Yeah, exactly like that.

you mean these?

mSQkL4tGTi3wPtqqc0JnCaA.jpg

They're ok.

Yep, that's what I'm looking for for GBA games.

Top Bottom