• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, something like that but not that ugly lol

mJjfGteD7dhI0R9TSvVwg-A.jpg

Damn those are ugly.

I have no idea why the picture was changed on that post, but this was similar to the second picture.

h7kVBHu.jpg

smbu2000

I picked up a set of these cool looking GBA cart Famicom cart-style cases a few years back. The GBA cart fits nicely inside and they are really well made. I just wish I had picked up some more of them at the time as they don't seem to be readily available anymore.

2 sets were released apparently. I got the first set. (SMB, DK, Zelda) Second set included; Mario Bros., Dr. Mario and Balloon Fight.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/hardware/l_goods/fmkcase_sp.html

edit:
Size comparison with a FC cart, just for fun.

Joni

Grief.exe

The SP-101's battery is insane. I don't use it for months and it boots right up when I turn it on, quite impressive.

Meanwhile, the 3DS can't even idle for 48 hours. Granted, it is constantly keeping up wireless communication for wi-fi, streetpass, etc.

How much would you guys estimate the backlit SP being worth? I've been seeing it for what I thought was a good price, but the fact that no one else seems to be biting has me wondering if I would be overspending.

Peagles

Maybe I'm mistaken but that would be swapping the board (or the shell depending on how you look at it).

Yes!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9024115

I've seen a couple of people do case swaps with the NES Classics version SP to show off the NES aesthetic and have a backlight.

I'm thinking more of modding the 001, I know how to swap shells but it means I'd have to buy a 101 anyway and kind of defeats the point. I can only get 001 boards at a decent price and the bright screen itself. A 101 here is more expensive than a 3DS lol.

maxcriden

Small repost, because I discovered I have another game I never sold. I found The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap so I'm selling the following stuff if anyone is interested.

The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
http://imgur.com/KSZk5ia

Pokémon Sapphire
http://imageshack.com/a/img839/9049/u1hy.jpg

Pokémon FireRed
http://imageshack.com/a/img577/2230/shht.jpg

Dirty White Game Boy Advance, no box.
http://imageshack.com/a/img32/4048/1xrt.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img19/3028/3ea4.jpg

In a similar vein, I still have LTTP GBA (cart only) if anyone's interested. Region-free of course so I'm happy to ship internationally (from US).

The SP-101's battery is insane. I don't use it for months and it boots right up when I turn it on, quite impressive.

Meanwhile, the 3DS can't even idle for 48 hours. Granted, it is constantly keeping up wireless communication for wi-fi, streetpass, etc.

I hear you, man. I have found it saves a lot of battery to keep the wi-fi switched off, though.

Peagles

I've seen some cheap 101s at garage sales, so if you want to source parts, that's a good place to look.

The 101 was never officially released here, I believe, so the only ones available are $200+ on our equivalent of eBay. Every GBA auction has a number of people asking if they are 101s, it's ridiculous.

My dad goes to every garage sale in our area and always looks for games for me. This has been the case for 20 years or so and he has never seen a single game for sale, for any system, ever.

If the original GBA can be modded to accept the 101 screen, I don't see why the 001 can't be?

n64coder

How much would you guys estimate the backlit SP being worth? I've been seeing it for what I thought was a good price, but the fact that no one else seems to be biting has me wondering if I would be overspending.

Did you check ebay completed auctions to get a sense? The last time I checked, I think they were going for around $50 average but I could be wrong.

n64coder

The 101 was never officially released here, I believe, so the only ones available are $200+ on our equivalent of eBay. Every GBA auction has a number of people asking if they are 101s, it's ridiculous.
Where are you located that they're very expensive?

Grief.exe

I believe the 101 also wasn't released in Australia as well. Maybe Nintendo just never saw fit to release that version of the GBA in that part of the world.

Grief.exe

I'm planning on creating a new OP that combines the current thread with the DS collection thread.

I'll have something ready next week.

Grief.exe

No I believe they should remain seperate. 4 systems for 1 thread is too much.

Both threads move at a glacial pace, and the collection of classic handheld games is not mutually exclusive to a specific console.

Number of consoles in the thread seems arbitrary in the long term, especially with them all being backwards compatible with each other.

Leonsito

Biverted with the polarized film inverted gives the best picture by far.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, normal looks a bit bland and inverted is a big no imo.

I don't really understand how biverted works, it keeps the same normal colors, but gives them a lot more contrast.

paolo11

This is a long shot and I'm sorry to post this but...

Is there a good soul that would sell megaman 5 for gameboy to me?

I'm on a quest to collect megaman gameboy games. It will be a hard quest.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Thinking about getting a GB Micro to play some of my old Advance and Color games. Are they worth the asking price?

They look really nice, and the screen is very bright. The small form factor is cute too.

BUT: Some people find them way too small to hold comfortably. Lesser issues are bad viewing angles, and tendency to get nicked and scratched. They're also relatively pricey compared to other GBAs. The best GBA is imo the original GBA with a GBA SP AGS-101 screen. Alternatively you can also use a DS Lite, but you can't play GB/GBC games on that.

baphomet

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, normal looks a bit bland and inverted is a big no imo.

I don't really understand how biverted works, it keeps the same normal colors, but gives them a lot more contrast.

Basically. You have to install a bivert chip which inverts the colors. Then when you rotate the polarizing film, it inverts the colors a second time making them correct again. The contrast goes through the roof and looks great. The orange backlight gives the best picture from what backlights I've done.

Grief.exe

Thinking about getting a GB Micro to play some of my old Advance and Color games. Are they worth the asking price?

If you need to play GB/GBC games as well than you should spring for a 101 or original GBA.

You can also get a modded OG GBA with backlight.

Peagles

Thought I'd share this here. Good price IMO for official link cables and free shipping too. I just picked up a few, planning to mod a couple to create some Micro to GC link cables.

I need a bit to open my games, you guys have me freaked out. What do fakes look like on the inside? Are they like NES/SNES fakes with obvious wires and/or replaced chips?

I thought someone said earlier you can tell if their fake by looking at the contacts? That fakes will have random little holes in them?

Top Bottom