• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

paolo11

tumblr_n1lfe7zUEe1sv6g38o1_500.jpg

legit?

Look with light and see if there is an etched number. If you see one, that's legit.

maxcriden

I would say that is a different situation, where you have two separate, monolithic threads overlapping in discussion.

Meanwhile, we have two very tiny communities that aren't quite overlapping, but have similar interests.

Hopefully so, I just don't want to see you put a lot of work in to your new thread and then have it get locked. Is this new thread going to be geated towards collecting, recommending, or both?

pikablu

I bought my girlfriend an SP over the weekend at a flea market for $20. It came with the first teenage mutant ninja turtle game on gba and a charger. I was really reluctant at first to buy (my maximum price was $15) but I caved in once I realized it came with a game. I didn't even realize it was an AGS101 until after I bought it, it definitely justified my decision more.

We went to a local game shop in SC (Video Game Cavern) and picked up:

Donkey Kong Country (GBC) -$5
Tetris (GB) - $2
Yugioh Dark Duel Stories (GBC) - $3

I ended up picking up Tech Dech for GBC. I remember playing that via emu when it was first released and I liked it. Not so much now though haha.

Anyways we also went to this new used media store opening in many places called 2nd Hand Charles. There we picked up Lil and Stitch for GBA. I totally forgot that game was a run and gun. Pretty damn cool game surprisingly.

WiH4lSr.png

maxcriden

There is some significant overlap with those two concepts.

Understood. I just rarely see discussion in this thread these days about gameplay, it's mostly about collecting. The other thread seems to be all about recommendations. Hopefully people will come to the new thread for both.

pikablu

Both threads move at a glacial pace, and the collection of classic handheld games is not mutually exclusive to a specific console.

Number of consoles in the thread seems arbitrary in the long term, especially with them all being backwards compatible with each other.

But DS can only play GBA games. I feel like a lot of the gameboy color and gameboy games will get left out of the discussion. Its another reason why I'm glad the neogeopocket thread is separate.

Roi

So are there any real 'rare' GBA games? I found plenty sites (and a neogaf topic) but most games mentioned there are easily available on ebay.

Grief.exe

But DS can only play GBA games. I feel like a lot of the gameboy color and gameboy games will get left out of the discussion. Its another reason why I'm glad the neogeopocket thread is separate.

I somewhat doubt they will be completely left behind, people will always be discussing those games. I think it will open some eyes to older games that they didn't know existed.

The DS thread has had 1 post this month, about 20 posts in all of 2014. Its a great thread, but hard to argue against the need for combination.

Teknoman

Just do what I do when any other appreciation thread starts to teeter closer to the collecting side. Drop a few gameplay questions about games you might be interested in, or throw in some impressions about a new game you've played/ videos of games you think others should give a shot.

On that note, I still cant find Samurai Kid.

Grizzo

I bought Metroid Zero Mission on eBay two years ago and received not one but two fake carts (I don't know why, but he sent it twice):

This is not even a good repro. The sticker looks like shit. But the game works, so I can't see how people who don't know much about videogames could get fooled. I reported it and asked for a refund, but I'm left with those too things. Oh well.

So are there any real 'rare' GBA games? I found plenty sites (and a neogaf topic) but most games mentioned there are easily available on ebay.

All the Final Fantasy games are rare. Also, Drill Dozer and Ninja Five-O.

This list from RacketBoy is pretty complete.

Grief.exe

Just do what I do when any other appreciation thread starts to teeter closer to the collecting side. Drop a few gameplay questions about games you might be interested in, or throw in some impressions about a new game you've played/ videos of games you think others should give a shot.

On that note, I still cant find Samurai Kid.

I'm about to drop a ton of screenshots from my Oracle of Ages playthrough on 3DS. I think if a game exists on the eshop I will just pick it up, I love cataloging my play through the screenshot function.

The Pokemon games aren't even rare, the prices are just artificially inflated due to the name.

Search Craigslist for Pokemon, you will see hundreds of entries. The collectors all have their copies, and no one is buying them at those prices.

Yeah, I can't think of any GBA games as rare as Trip World or ZAS on the original monochrome Game Boy, but then again, the GBA library is much younger and more easily available.

Grizzo

The Pokemon games aren't even rare, the prices are just artificially inflated due to the name.

Search Craigslist for Pokemon, you will see hundreds of entries. The collectors all have their copies, and no one is buying them at those prices.

Yeah all those high prices for Pokemon games are really irritating. I wish it would just stop.

Teknoman

Yeah all those high prices for Pokemon games are really irritating. I wish it would just stop.

Unfortunately even thrift stores are like that lol. Mario Advance cart? 10 bucks. Zelda link to the past? 3 bucks. Name recognition hits everywhere.

EDIT: Drill Dozer went up then? I thought it was like 10 bucks new?

Drill Dozer can be bought brand new on Ebay for $30 last I checked.
Nintendo definitely overproduced that game. I assume they thought the demand would be there since it's a Gamefreak game, but I picked mine up on the cheap. I remember Best Buy especially had a ton of new unsold stock due to their retail partnership with Nintendo.

plc268

Woah, I just checked that out and you're right... I do remember it being way higher last year... that's weird. Or maybe was I tripping?

A year and a half ago, I bought drill dozer brand new off of ebay for $12. It's always been cheap as far as I know.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Ninja Five-o is the rarest title localized for the West I can think of for GBA games. The two Summon Night GBA games are fairly uncommon as well.

As for games that were never localized, the two that immediately come to mind are Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei II. The best example I can find of their complete boxed forms.

TnK

I myself also bought DD for really cheap. I think it was about $13.5, awesome game though. Why did it bomb?

When I think about it, I really remember the GBA fondly, but I also remember that I have maybe beaten about 10-15 games on it only. The DS on the other hand, I have 40-50 games that are really really good, yet I remember the GBA with more nostalgia.

The GBA's life was cut short in its prime by the DS.
Didn't Nintendo at the time say they would be separate things and that the GBA would live on? Maybe I'm mis-remembering that.

Nintendo didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket and poised DS as a "third pillar" blue ocean platform. Things really took off in 2006 with the DSLite and Nintendogs though and the rest is history.

Grief.exe

Nintendo didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket and poised DS as a "third pillar" blue ocean platform. Things really took off in 2006 with the DSLite and Nintendogs though and the rest is history.

Ironically, Nintendo is stuck in a position now with all of their eggs in one basket, the 3DS. The problem is, as you saw me discuss in another thread, the sales numbers for the 3DS are rapidly decreasing.

I wonder if the QOL talk Nintendo discussed in their quarterly report is their new 'third pillar.'

Grizzo

So I think I'm gonna cave in and buy one of these...

m1UnEtX.jpg

I'm torn between black and orange actually. But I think the orange color looks great on it.

A year and a half ago, I bought drill dozer brand new off of ebay for $12. It's always been cheap as far as I know.

I could have sworn that I saw some of these at 45 euros (roughly 60 dollars) just last year, but maybe it's because I was looking in the "Europe only" section on eBay. That would explain the price, since the game was never released in Europe (like an expensive import or something).

Gunsmithx

So a quick follow up to my castlvania doublepack bootleg gate, thanks to MZO I found a legit copy locally and for a great price, and yes I opened the sucker up to doublecheck and I have been educating my friends on how to spot em.

Thanks again gaf for spotting it for me.

pikablu

I remember a lot of the early DS games being very lackluster as they were almost identical to their GBA counterparts but with a second screen. There was that Star Wars Episode 3 game and a few others.

Grizzo

It really accents that Alpha 3 title screen

Yeah, it looks great with this game!

I really need to get the headphone attachment for the SP. What a shortsighted decision by Nintendo.

That was a really dumb decision. I almost lost the damn thing so many times. But I ended up finding it every time, by pure luck.

I remember a lot of the early DS games being very lackluster as they were almost identical to their GBA counterparts but with a second screen. There was that Star Wars Episode 3 game and a few others.

Case in point:

The Urbz: The Sims in the City:

GBA version:

urbzrev1.JPG

DS version:

urbz1.jpg

Also, Scurge Hive:

GBA version:

schiga002.jpg

DS version:

Scurge_hive_gameplay.PNG

Grief.exe

you should, no one should be subjected to mono

Disgusting.

On this subject, do the knockoffs on ebay work fine or is it worth it to try to hunt down og ones?

I'm assuming here, but they probably work the exact same.
Its nkthig more than a wire and some metal contact for the 3.5mm jack, not much to screw up.

Of course, a bad soldering job or lower-qualiry copper would degrade the sound quality. But the GBA has lower sound quality initially.

Anyone have any experience with one of those OG GBA backlight mods? Getting really tempted to grab one off of ebay. Only downside is no rechargeable battery pack or AC adapters, though I assume both could be bought. Every AGS-101 on eBay looks scratched to fuck.

Going to go hunting for a 101 tomorrow. If I don't find one I'll probably turn to eBay.

Het_Nkik

Here's my second attempt at grabbing TMNT from an Amazon third party seller:

Went even worse than the first attempt. I don't understand why this game is do goddamn cheap "new" on Amazon, but there aren't ANY boxed copies on eBay.

So I think I'm gonna cave in and buy one of these...

m1UnEtX.jpg

I'm torn between black and orange actually. But I think the orange color looks great on it.
Looks great. Just in case you're planning to get one of the Street Fighter games for it, that D-Pad is shit for SF. The GBA SP one is much better for pulling off moves.

Het_Nkik

got dang, did the mailman sit on the package or something?

The way the shrink wrap is clinging to the smashed box, the way there's a bit of box worn away under the shrink wrap, and the way the box appears slightly dirty under the shrink wrap, I'm 99.9% positive this game was crushed well before it was shipped out to me.

Top Bottom