• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Anyone have any experience with one of those OG GBA backlight mods? Getting really tempted to grab one off of ebay. Only downside is no rechargeable battery pack or AC adapters, though I assume both could be bought. Every AGS-101 on eBay looks scratched to fuck.

Going to go hunting for a 101 tomorrow. If I don't find one I'll probably turn to eBay.

Couldn't you buy a replacement SP case for a 101? Or do a case swap with a nicer SP.

For the AGB-001 backlight, you can use rechargeable AAs or get an AC adapter kit which replaces the battery cover. The biggest downside is honestly that the backlight isn't all that bright even when its on the brighter solder point. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my 3DS XL being super bright.

cafemomo

The way the shrink wrap is clinging to the smashed box, the way there's a bit of box worn away under the shrink wrap, and the way the box appears slightly dirty under the shrink wrap, I'm 99.9% positive this game was crushed well before it was shipped out to me.

Are you going to return it for a refund?

So I think I'm gonna cave in and buy one of these...

m1UnEtX.jpg

I'm torn between black and orange actually. But I think the orange color looks great on it.
Is that one being sold by this guy? http://www.ebay.com/usr/icecream208

I'm considering getting a backlit OG GBA even though I have a Micro so I can play GB/C games too.

Grizzo

For the AGB-001 backlight, you can use rechargeable AAs or get an AC adapter kit which replaces the battery cover. The biggest downside is honestly that the backlight isn't all that bright even when its on the brighter solder point. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my 3DS XL being super bright.

Aw man, I just bought one off eBay and that's my main concern. I'm afraid it's gonna be too dark and since you can't change the brightness like on an SP-101, you're stuck with what you got.

But still, I think the OG GBA has the most comfortable design of all three GBA. And I need one in case the battery for my 101 end up dying sooner than I though. We'll see how it goes.

Looks great. Just in case you're planning to get one of the Street Fighter games for it, that D-Pad is shit for SF. The GBA SP one is much better for pulling off moves.

You're right, I remember getting Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (what a long title) for my birthday 12 years ago and playing it on the OG GBA back then and being not that good. But when I switched to the SP one year later, I got wayyyy better.

Yes I own the GBA version of this. I saw the DS version of this and it looked identical.

Yeah, I bought the GBA version too! I don't really know why I chose this one over the DS one. I guess I thought that the second screen would be useless.

Is that one being sold by this guy? http://www.ebay.com/usr/icecream208

I'm considering getting a backlit OG GBA even though I have a Micro so I can play GB/C games too.

No, I live in France so I got one from a closer country. You must be talking about this one? Why does the screen look so much bigger than the one in the picture I posted earlier?

Edit: Ah but wait, the screen on this one isn't backlit though, is it? He wrote "professionally rebuilt" but doesn't mention the screen anywhere

Couldn't you buy a replacement SP case for a 101? Or do a case swap with a nicer SP.

Hmm, it does look like you can get new shells off eBay. Probably go that route then if I can find a 101. I can't decide still. The original GBA looks more comfortable to me. Have to pick up an SP and just try it out.

Aw man, I just bought one off eBay and that's my main concern. I'm afraid it's gonna be too dark and since you can't change the brightness like on an SP-101, you're stuck with what you got.

It's not especially dark. I just have trouble seeing mine on really bright days when trying to play on a bus. At home its usually comfortably bright.

I feel like I should buy a second AGB-001 that's not backlit for super-bright days. Or for playing Boktai.

No, I live in France so I got one from a closer country. You must be talking about this one? Why does the screen look so much bigger than the one in the picture I posted earlier?

Edit: Ah but wait, the screen on this one isn't backlit though, is it? He wrote "professionally rebuilt" but doesn't mention the screen anywhere

He has backlit mods he sells too. Though for $90USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-Nin...1077803454?pt=Video_Games&hash=item43c596cdbe

I don't know what a good price is for a prebuilt backlit OG GBA.

Grizzo

It's not especially dark. I just have trouble seeing mine on really bright days when trying to play on a bus. At home its usually comfortably bright.

I feel like I should buy a second AGB-001 that's not backlit for super-bright days. Or for playing Boktai.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I can't play my 3DS under the sun. GBA 001 was awful when you were inside, but it was pretty great for sunny days!

He has backlit mods he sells too. Though for $90USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-Nin...1077803454?pt=Video_Games&hash=item43c596cdbe

I don't know what a good price is for a prebuilt backlit OG GBA.

I think something around $70-$90 is a good price! Rose Colored Gaming is $160, but his stuff is more "premium" (and he's sold out for now)

Didn't Nintendo at the time say they would be separate things and that the GBA would live on? Maybe I'm mis-remembering that.
They did, and they followed up on it, sort of -- the GBA had a good first-party software library for two full years after the DS released. In Japan the DS took over in '05, but in the US the GBA hung on into 2007, and the DS only really took off around when NCL finally forced NOA to kill off the GBA at the end of '06. The GBA had a pretty solid first and third party software library in '05 and '06, in both the US and Japan. (US maybe more so though, because of better sales at that point)

The really bad one is the GBC. The DS released 3 1/2 years after the GBA and the GBA had two more years of good first and third party support after that, followed by a few good games (third party) in its final year, '07. In comparison, the GBA released just 2 1/2 years after the GBC, and Nintendo immediately stopped making first party GBC games. There were a couple of first party GBC games released in the West after the GBA, but in Japan, not a one. The later US ones were just catching up to the end of Japanese support. Third party support lasted a bit longer, but in the US it was dead by the end of '02, only 1 1/2 years after the GBA released. In Japan it made it to early '04, but only with really cheap licensed junk.

Now, the GBC was pretty dated hardware, so I can see why they moved past it quickly; the biggest issue really is that Nintendo probably should have released it sooner, not that they should have supported it for much longer. But as a GBC owner at the time, I found the system's early death very frustrating, and as I've said before it led me to not buy a GBA for two years...

I somewhat doubt they will be completely left behind, people will always be discussing those games. I think it will open some eyes to older games that they didn't know existed.

The DS thread has had 1 post this month, about 20 posts in all of 2014. Its a great thread, but hard to argue against the need for combination.
That's not a reason to merge it into this thread... this thread is already probably too broad, platform-wise, and adding even more systems won't help that! I mean, none of the other classic threads are about so many different systems. Why should these all be merged into one just because they're handhelds? Honestly, I'd rather see one for GB/GBC, and another for GBA/DS, if we had to split things... or just keep it as it is, though the GB/GBC and GBA really are different. At least you can play all of the GB, GBC, and GBA games on one system, though. That's not true if you add on the DS. And anyway, you can play all PS1 and PS2 games on one system and those aren't one thread...

baphomet

Where are you getting that from? I mean, he has a great rating and has been a seller for a long time.

I just want to know what to look for in cases like this.

Because everything he says points to it being made of unofficial parts. He doesn't say anything about it using an ags-101 screen. Plus, the parts and installation alone would be more than $90. Most people probably have no idea they're getting bootleg gbas.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1556166169.html
(Not specifically this one)

You can get these for around $20 on aliexpress and most people would never know the difference. If you really want to know message him and ask if they're made using official Nintendo shells and screens. You can always open it up and if the screen is plugging directly into the motherboard then it's fake. Real ones have to have an adapter cable to fit.

Grizzo

Because everything he says points to it being made of unofficial parts. He doesn't say anything about it using an ags-101 screen. Plus, the parts and installation alone would be more than $90. Most people probably have no idea they're getting bootleg gbas.

You can get these for around $20 on aliexpress and most people would never know the difference. If you really want to know message him and ask if they're made using official Nintendo shells and screens. You can always open it up and if the screen is plugging directly into the motherboard then it's fake. Real ones have to have an adapter cable to fit.

The one I bought it from said he used AGS-101 screen in the name of his listing. He even put a video showing what they look like.

Well, I guess all I'm saying is I just hope it's gonna turn out to be a good one.

I didn't consider that. Thanks for your input.

Well, then is Rose-Colored Gaming the best source for legit pre-builts?

baphomet

I didn't consider that. Thanks for your input.

Well, then is Rose-Colored Gaming the best source for legit pre-builts?

They're kinda expensive I feel like. It may very well be legit, but that's how it comes across to me. Can't hurt to just ask him. There's plenty of legit ones out there.

Grief.exe

That's not a reason to merge it into this thread... this thread is already probably too broad, platform-wise, and adding even more systems won't help that! I mean, none of the other classic threads are about so many different systems. Why should these all be merged into one just because they're handhelds? Honestly, I'd rather see one for GB/GBC, and another for GBA/DS, if we had to split things... or just keep it as it is, though the GB/GBC and GBA really are different. At least you can play all of the GB, GBC, and GBA games on one system, though. That's not true if you add on the DS. And anyway, you can play all PS1 and PS2 games on one system and those aren't one thread...

I don't really see the point of splitting them up further, discussion is already slow enough and the subject matter is so similar.

Pros
  • Collection of Nintendo handhelds is far from mutually exclusive, and series extend across GB/GBC/GBA/DS.
  • Discussion has died completely in the DS thread (~20 posts this year), and discussion is generally slow in this thread as well.
  • Opens up eyes to games they may not have known existed.
  • All information for classic Nintendo handhelds in one place.

Cons
  • Because its just not done

That seems to be what I can boil your argument down to, and the other naysayer that was in this thread had a similar argument. With the similarities in games, complete backwards compatibility, games series going across all systems, I really see no reason not to.
You brought up the PS1 and PS2, discussions with older 3D systems generally devolve into emulation. And there are vastly different methods, set ups, and tech support for each method.

I implore anyone to find an argument other than what is above, I would take it into consideration as this effects the community as a whole.

Teknoman

Wow.

Why arent more people talking about this?!

Metal_Slug_Advance.jpg

Its amazing! Looks great (missing some animations compared to the main series on Neo Geo of course, but it looks really good in other areas), sounds great, plays really nicely, and its a totally original game.

Hard mode is actually pretty challenging...I think there are infinite continues, but i'm not sure. There is a collectible card element too, but i'm not sure what those do either.

Wow.

Metal_Slug_Advance.jpg

Its amazing! Looks great (missing some animations compared to the main series on Neo Geo of course, but it looks really good in other areas), sounds great, plays really nicely, and its a totally original game.

Hard mode is actually pretty challenging...I think there are infinite continues, but i'm not sure. There is a collectible card element too, but i'm not sure what those do either.

I probably never gave this a chance since I didn't like how it felt playing on my SP. I should give it another try with an arcade stick and the Game Boy Player.

After 4 (long) weeks of waiting, i finally got my RCG GBA in!

i'll try to do a formal write up/review soon (probably within the next few days or so).

all i can say for now is that it's gorgeous.

1908255_627234700658231_1824850998_n.jpg

OnPoint

After 4 (long) weeks of waiting, i finally got my RCG GBA in!

i'll try to do a formal write up/review soon (probably within the next few days or so).

all i can say for now is that it's gorgeous.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1908255_627234700658231_1824850998_n.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Man that is gorgeous. I don't know why, but I really want the Space Cadet one.

Wow.

Metal_Slug_Advance.jpg

Honestly, this is probably the worst Metal Slug game ever. It's a decently good game, but compared to the incredibly high standards of the series (it's my favorite run & gun series by a good margin), the game disappointed me. The King of Fighters EX2 is a better KOF game than Metal Slug Advance is a Metal Slug game.

Now, it's a decent game, but it's too short, is missing a LOT of animation, and doesn't have much to keep me coming back. The game is a little bit like a hybrid of the Neo-Geo and Neo Geo Pocket Color Metal Slug games, but ends up worse than both. If you haven't played the NGPC games, they're basically side-scrolling action-platformers.but you wander around levels, exploring, trying to find the alternate routes since the games have multiple paths, etc. The games have respawning enemies. They're short games, but encourage replay thanks to all of the alternate routes. Some are cleverly hidden -- like if you get through a tank slug stage without dying you'll be on one route, but if you fell down a hole along the way you're sent to another. The gameplay isn't super fast paced run & gun stuff like the Neo-Geo games, as there's a lot more platforming and some backtracking, but it's great. You have a health bar for health.

The GBA game, though, isn't quite that, but also isn't like the Neo-Geo games. It doesn't have the epic scope of the Neo-Geo games, and it has a health bar and, if I remember right, respawning enemies... but the gameplay is Neo-Geo style run & gun stuff. It's this weird middle ground part-way in between the previous two styles of Metal Slug, and doesn't quite work. And it's got no alternate paths, no hidden levels, nothing, just five stages. That's a lot less content than the NGPC games. Sure the levels are longer, but not enough so to make up the difference, and they aren't as fun as Neo-Geo Metal Slug levels, so they don't have the replay value of those levels either. Metal Slug Advance is still a good game for sure, don't get me wrong, it's just the least good game in an incredible franchise.

Grief.exe

I have this copy of Leaf Green I got off of Craigslist a few years ago.

Game boots up fine, but as soon as you try to load a file it says, '1-M sub circuit board not installed.'

If you start a new game and try to save it warns you that there is already a save file, but spits out an error when you try to overwrite it.

I opened it up and cleaned the contacts, its obvious someone had steppes on it at one point, but no internal damage. Game passes the usual checks for a real cart as well.

Very strange.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
FF VI GBA is rather steeply priced all around.. Found a copy without box for £25. Acceptable?

btw: any tip on good cases for storing multiple GBA cartridges?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
$20 is a good price.

If you've never played VI before, pick it up now.

I have it on wiiware, but it's a bit of a drag booting it up on the Wii U tbh. Would play if I could play it on the gamepad without a classic controller

Nothing really stands out. I can't make out whether or not the label has those imprinted numbers due to the low light. Is there a pic of the board?

FF VI GBA is rather steeply priced all around.. Found a copy without box for £25. Acceptable?

btw: any tip on good cases for storing multiple GBA cartridges?

The PAL one is rare. I will always regret not buying it when it was 2 for £25 alongside FFV. I kept saying "later" and now it's quite pricey. Shit...

b3b0p

Hi, I'm looking to expand my GBA collection. Any overlooked games / hidden gems you guys would recommend?

I don't ever see anyone mention it, but Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (GBA Launch Game If I remember correctly) is marvelous, fun, and extremely addicting. I 100% everything in it. I crave daily to play it again still.

I also enjoy Pokémon Pinball and Mario Pinball. Mario Pinball doesn't feel right at first, but if you take some time and get into it, it's quite fun.

The only GameBoy game I still own and play is Kirby's Pinball Land.

Top Bottom