• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

Buying Megaman 5 from Nintendoage. Does this look fake or no

q4ebSBY.jpg

I don't know too much about original GB fakes, but MegaMan games would be the target.

The label looks off-center to me, which is generally a tell for fake GBA games. Not sure if that applies to GB as well.

Ask if he can open it up and show the board or take a picture of the imprinted numbers on the label.

plc268

An off center label does not indicate a fake. I have a bunch of gba games alone, that have crooked labels, but are 100% genuine.

GB games don't really get counterfeited... at least not like the GBA games. For GB, you most likely will see stuff like multicarts, and the occasional single cart, but it'll be an obvious bootleg. I've yet to come across a convincing GB bootleg game yet.

paolo11

An off center label does not indicate a fake. I have a bunch of gba games alone, that have crooked labels, but are 100% genuine.

GB games don't really get counterfeited... at least not like the GBA games. For GB, you most likely will see stuff like multicarts, and the occasional single cart, but it'll be an obvious bootleg. I've yet to come across a convincing GB bootleg game yet.

Question, did you see the images on the back? What do you think? Does it look legit?

I am on a quest on collection Gameboy/GBA/DS Megaman Games and I don't want my first purchase that I will spend $60 as a fake. I personally believe at the back the screw looks legit.

Grief.exe

Question, did you see the images on the back? What do you think? Does it look legit?

I am on a quest on collection Gameboy/GBA/DS Megaman Games and I don't want my first purchase that I will spend $60 as a fake. I personally believe at the back the screw looks legit.

The back screw is correct, not sure why that would matter though.

Het_Nkik

Does anyone here have an EZ Flash IV?

I have one to play my imports in English.

You have to use special software to load the games onto it and it has a horribly ugly Star Wars: Episode III UI, but other than that it plays games flawlessly.

I don't use it much, though, since I've already played through most of my imports that have been fan translated. If you plan on loading one with a ton of games, I can see using the software to load games onto it getting annoying.

You have to use special software to load the games onto it and it has a horribly ugly Star Wars: Episode III UI, but other than that it plays games flawlessly.

I don't use it much, though, since I've already played through most of my imports that have been fan translated. If you plan on loading one with a ton of games, I can see using the software to load games onto it getting annoying.

Ah i see. Where did you get yours btw? It's hard finding a reliable site :/

Does anyone here have an EZ Flash IV?

I got one a couple weeks ago. For the most part, it's pretty good at what it does (GBA games to a SD card).

The build quality is hit or miss. The one I got had its battery only half soldered to the board which caused me to lose a couple of save files.

The plastic casing (that houses the pcb) is also ass. Flimsy and it's only held on by a single, poorly aligned screw.

Transferring the games via software is kind of annoying but not too bad. It just adds that extra step.

The default Star Wars theme is ass ugly but after a quick google search, I was able to change it in a matter of seconds.

Again, it's good at what it does, but the build quality is questionable.

Grief.exe

Here is the Pokemon game I was referring to last night. You can really see where it got stomped on, but there doesn't appear to be any damage internally.

xekzEC8.jpg

I have this copy of Leaf Green I got off of Craigslist a few years ago.

Game boots up fine, but as soon as you try to load a file it says, '1-M sub circuit board not installed.'

If you start a new game and try to save it warns you that there is already a save file, but spits out an error when you try to overwrite it.

I opened it up and cleaned the contacts, its obvious someone had steppes on it at one point, but no internal damage. Game passes the usual checks for a real cart as well.

Very strange.

Well the seller accepts returns, and if that doesn't work Ebay and Paypal always side with the customer.

I'll post an update when I get them.

Well I got them and they are indeed fakes. They are well done fakes, they have the right kind of metallic gloss on the labels, no errors on the labels. However they have the incorrect circuit board configuration visible though the plastic. The plastic itself is cheap and the NINTENDO text on the boards are incorrect. Also when saving the games freeze momentarily.

I've put through a case for a refund, I don't know if I'll actually need to return them to get it though.

Leonsito

Basically. You have to install a bivert chip which inverts the colors. Then when you rotate the polarizing film, it inverts the colors a second time making them correct again. The contrast goes through the roof and looks great. The orange backlight gives the best picture from what backlights I've done.

Well, I'm about to install my first bivert chip, wish me luck!

Btw, I need to buy a black screen cover, I found them here, but they are out of stock (bought there shell, screen and backlight kit, the owner is a very nice guy) any other sites to buy DMG parts?

maxcriden

Well I got them and they are indeed fakes. They are well done fakes, they have the right kind of metallic gloss on the labels, no errors on the labels. However they have the incorrect circuit board configuration visible though the plastic. The plastic itself is cheap and the NINTENDO text on the boards are incorrect. Also when saving the games freeze momentarily.

I've put through a case for a refund, I don't know if I'll actually need to return them to get it though.

Sorry to hear it man. Hopefully your refund goes through without too much trouble.

CrovaxPSO

I got both of the Tokimeki Memorial Pocket games from eBay, complete and in great shape. I forgot how cool the smaller Japanese boxes are, since the last ones I had were Pokemon Gold and Silver when they first came out.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the Pokemon game I was referring to last night. You can really see where it got stomped on, but there doesn't appear to be any damage internally.

xekzEC8.jpg

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but maybe where the data is saved in Flash was damaged when it was stomped on? It's the only thing I can think of if that cartridge is legit.

Can you recommend some of your favorite fan translations for GBA games that never made it to the US?

Mother 3 is always the go to example. One that I've been meaning to try for a while now is an RTS game called Napoleon, or L'Aigle de Guerre, a game that was published by Nintendo only in Japan and France.

Het_Nkik

Can you recommend some of your favorite fan translations for GBA games that never made it to the US?

Hm, well, when I said I'd beaten "most" of my fan translated GB games, I meant 2 out of 3, so it's an embarrassingly short list that consists of just Mother 3 and Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls). The latter is a GB game but the EZ Flash IV plays GB and GBC games as well.

But both of those games have really, really good translations. Mother 3 is super popular so I won't waste my time on it, but if you haven't played For the Frog the Bell Tolls, I highly recommend it. It's a fun game with a super funny script that was written by Sakomoto (of Metroid fame) and the translation it top-notch.

I have some more imports but I played through them without translations (Slime MoriMori is particularly easy to play w/o translation as it uses images for everything you need).

The only other fan translated GB game I have is Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, but like I said, I haven't gotten around to it.

PsionBolt

Mother 3 can't be stressed enough, astounding game. The Mother 1 half of Mother 1+2 is also worth it, in my opinion, but as an oldschool NES game, its unforgiving mechanics are not for everyone.

The other main title that comes to mind is Fire Emblem 6. Very good game. It's the one with Roy. The first FE game released in English is a prequel to 6.

Grizzo

One that I've been meaning to try for a while now is an RTS game called Napoleon, or L'Aigle de Guerre, a game that was published by Nintendo only in Japan and France.

It's an alright game at best, though I loved all the wacky elements of the plot (it's more like heroic fantasy meets history). But it gets tiring to hear that electronic remix of La Marseillaise over and over again, haha.

RTS is pretty rare on that system so you might like it.

smbu2000

Well I just ordered one of those Chinese GBA SP models. The description says that the inside of it is original, but that the case is a copy. I'll see how it is and if it is alright then I'll do a case swap with my real GBA SP.

It might take awhile to arrive as shipping is supposed to be pretty slow.

Joqu

Do you have a list of games you already have?

Mostly the obvious stuff really. The Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Castlevania,games. I might be missing some but I've probably got most of the big ones out there.

Sadly most of them are cart only so I'll have to rebuy those someday. D:

Take a look at a thread I made back in 2008: Official Gameboy Advance Software Thread of Micro Pleasures for Great Pocket Justice

I'm sure you'll find some interesting games there.

Thanks, that's going to be a great help!

I don't ever see anyone mention it, but Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (GBA Launch Game If I remember correctly) is marvelous, fun, and extremely addicting. I 100% everything in it. I crave daily to play it again still.

I also enjoy Pokémon Pinball and Mario Pinball. Mario Pinball doesn't feel right at first, but if you take some time and get into it, it's quite fun.

The only GameBoy game I still own and play is Kirby's Pinball Land.

Hmm I'm not sure if I'd like Tony Hawk but I'll keep it in mind.

You don't have to use that UI y'know. Personally I'm using clearlooks like most people probably do these days. It's a huge improvement.

Here's a link to that~

maxcriden

Hmm I'm not sure if I'd like Tony Hawk but I'll keep it in mind.

Scarl, let me second that recommendation. I got hours of enjoyment out of THPS2 for GBA, which was indeed a launch title, and a very technically impressive one, at that. It's addictive and IIRC offers plenty of content for your buck. It's got that pick up and play arcade quality to it as well as a good deal of depth to the gameplay and fully completing the game.

Drago

Mother 3 is my favorite game of all time, so here I am to tell you to play it!!

And as previously mentioned, the re-translated Mother 1 GBA port is great as well, but IMO it doesn't really touch the amazing 2nd and 3rd games. Still worth playing, and the easy ring Mato put into the game makes it much more playable.

Don't have much experience in other imports with fan translations, sorry. :p

Phatcorns

Speaking of EZ Flash IV, what is a reasonable price to pay and where should I be looking for one that will be decent quality and won't fall apart right away?

Speaking of EZ Flash IV, what is a reasonable price to pay and where should I be looking for one that will be decent quality and won't fall apart right away?

I got mine for $40 plus shipping from http://www.realhotstuff.com

The site seemed shady at first but someone from this thread (forgot exactly who) said they were decent so I went for it.

It took a few days to process my order but I got the cart within a week of ordering (I'm in SoCal if that makes any difference).

Only complaint, as stated earlier, was that I had to solder the battery to the cart but it was super easy to do.

FSLink

Banned
I got mine for $40 plus shipping from http://www.realhotstuff.com

The site seemed shady at first but someone from this thread (forgot exactly who) said they were decent so I went for it.

It took a few days to process my order but I got the cart within a week of ordering (I'm in SoCal if that makes any difference).

Only complaint, as stated earlier, was that I had to solder the battery to the cart but it was super easy to do.

I can also vouch for realhotstuff. They ship fast, and haven't had problems with them in the years I've been using them.

joedick

Buying Megaman 5 from Nintendoage. Does this look fake or no

I've only ever encountered two fake GB games, both were from Asia (off ebay). They were pretty obvious if you knew GB carts, they just looked 'off' (the grey plastic was a bit darker, label wasn't high quality, Nintendo Gameboy logo on cart was slightly different, etc). I should've figured that CIB Shaq-Fu was too good to be true!

As mentioned, the imprinted numbers are a great tell as well.

Grief.exe

I keep forgetting I need to add those HP GBC games to my wish list.

Suppa, if you find another copy of Kirby's Dreamland 2 for that price, I will reimburse you for shipping and cost.

If it's any consolation, they're both really cheap. I picked up Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone for $5.50 and Chamber of Secrets for around $6.50, both CIB.

I really need to start looking around I think I paid only a little less for loose carts. Couldn't care less at all about boxes but damn.

TnK

Any opinions on Gunstar Super/Future Heroes? Never played the original.
I'll echo what the others have said. Buy it. Definitely better than the original. You can find it brand new for a good deal online, especially if you are looking for PAL (I own the PAL one, got it as a gift).

What I love most about the game is the wide variety of melee attacks. I remember people complained it was worse compared to the original because it had no throw (lolwut).

Zalman

I'll echo what the others have said. Buy it. Definitely better than the original. You can find it brand new for a good deal online, especially if you are looking for PAL (I own the PAL one, got it as a gift).

What I love most about the game is the wide variety of melee attacks. I remember people complained it was worse compared to the original because it had no throw (lolwut).
I am PAL and currently looking online. There don't seem to be a lot of copies on eBay at least. I assume it's fairly rare?

daydream

Banned
The recent puzzle game thread reminded me of this overlooked gem: Tiny Toon Adventures: Wacky Stackers

It was the first game I played on the GBA. The mix of Puzzle Fighter + Tetris Battle Gaiden makes for a great VS mode (that I only got to play against the CPU) AND a great Puzzle mode where you're solving puzzles for the toons.

You get one coin towards your power meter for every big egg you break (they work just like the big gems in Puzzle Fighter) and you can use them whenever. VS mode has eight different powers and they even carry over to Puzzle mode where you get the four powers that do some sort of egg removal since there is no opponent. The Puzzles are designed around those powers and it definitely gets challenging as you progress. Music is pretty catchy, too.

Never met anyone that played this.

Leonsito

Well, the bivert installation was hard, due to my soldering iron deciding to die in the process, and me being a novice on this things, but the thing is, it's working!, I'm missing only the new screen cover, but the rest is installed.

Grief.exe

Gyakuten saiban 3 (Phoenix Wright 3) CiB for $23.

yay or nay?

I don't see why when the DS versions are better in literally every way.

I'd like to jump into that series, but I might wait to see if the 3DS Japanese release of 1-3 releases over here. The first game alone is expensive due to supply constraints.

smbu2000

Anyone, play Tetris DX? I've tried that out and I just can't stand it as the music is awful. I just switched to the original GB Tetris as the music is so much better on that. Part of it is probably that I grew up with GB Tetris, but the music on DX is just so bland, IMO.

I just had a hilarious sad conversation with my nephew. He asked me why I had a camera. I told him it was a Game Boy. To which he responded "what's a Game Boy?"

Top Bottom