• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

What is the deal with the Zelda Oracle Of Ages and Oracle of Seasons games? Are the actually two completely different games or is it the same game with some minor variations. I've never played them, obviously.

Grief.exe

What is the deal with the Zelda Oracle Of Ages and Oracle of Seasons games? Are the actually two completely different games or is it the same game with some minor variations. I've never played them, obviously.

I read this write up the other day and I thought it was a concise way to describe the games

Released just before the GBA launched, these two oddball Zelda games each picked a theme and ran with it; Seasons was more action-based, and played more or less like a modernized version of the very first Zelda, while Ages offered more devious puzzles. Both, of course, were chock full of the usual Zelda excellence.

But why two games on the same day? Seasons and Ages actually “talk” to each other via a cumbersome password system or link cable, so they combine to form one complete tale. Beat one game, for example, and you receive a password you can input at the beginning of the next that notably alters the experience. Most importantly, the final battle will feature Ganon instead of newcomers Veran and Onox, making this feel more like a legit Zelda instead of another weirdo side story. Fun fact: these were actually developed by Capcom, who would go on to handle Minish Cap on GBA.

I'm actually playing Oracle of Ages right now on 3DS. I've never played Ages, but linking it to the first Legend of Zelda game is quite interesting.

TnK

Should I buy Harmony of Dissonance cart only and store it in my bootleg box?

An odd thing I noticed: bootleg GBA games have better boxes and print compared to the original boxes. The bootleg boxes are more sturdy, and the print has a really nice glossy finish. Too bad the picture quality is a little blurry compared to the original, but no big deal. It also comes with the manual, lol.

Mzo

Some similarities but different games. Different dungeons, bosses, and stories.

smbu2000

Just for fun, my new "GBA"!

IMG_3175_zpsba32657d.jpg

I picked up this used, cheap DS Lite with a broken top screen. Removed the top part, set it to auto-on and the GBA to show on the bottom screen, did a quick bridge solder on the board and now it's a kind of GBA. Unfortunately, when I was putting it back together I must've done something and the speakers stopped working. I was going to try and work them in somewhere, but oh well at least the headphones still work.

I didn't want to destroy my two nice condition DS Lites so I picked up this broken one, with a good looking bottom screen. I also lost the part connecting the cable to keep the "touch part" of the touchscreen active, so that doesn't work, but it's for GBA games anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Peagles

Just for fun, my new "GBA"!

I picked up this used, cheap DS Lite with a broken top screen. Removed the top part, set it to auto-on and the GBA to show on the bottom screen, did a quick bridge solder on the board and now it's a kind of GBA. Unfortunately, when I was putting it back together I must've done something and the speakers stopped working. I was going to try and work them in somewhere, but oh well at least the headphones still work.

I didn't want to destroy my two nice condition DS Lites so I picked up this broken one, with a good looking bottom screen. I also lost the part connecting the cable to keep the "touch part" of the touchscreen active, so that doesn't work, but it's for GBA games anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Great job! I was thinking of making one myself since I have so many DS Lites sitting around, but I wanted to do something special with the shell and get rid of the extra hingey bits.

Did you reattach the speakers somewhere else? Originally they sit in the top half, so unless you've relocated them, they're entirely missing, lol.

baphomet

Anyone have an original style ds (not lite) in decent condition they would be interested in selling? Color doesn't matter as long as the screens are in good condition and it doesn't have broken homes or anything.

TnK

Baphomet, I always wanted to know, is it possible to mod in DS Lite screens to the old DS? Up until now, the OG DS has the best buttons out of all the other DS systems.

baphomet

Baphomet, I always wanted to know, is it possible to mod in DS Lite screens to the old DS? Up until now, the OG DS has the best buttons out of all the other DS systems.

I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but probably a significant amount of work. Its been years since I've played an original one, but I don't remember being fond of the buttons myself. Only reason I need one is to capture direct footage from the console for gba and ds games.

smbu2000

Great job! I was thinking of making one myself since I have so many DS Lites sitting around, but I wanted to do something special with the shell and get rid of the extra hingey bits.

Did you reattach the speakers somewhere else? Originally they sit in the top half, so unless you've relocated them, they're entirely missing, lol.
No, I don't have the speakers in there at the moment. They are attached to the same cable as as the top screen. When I originally severed the top screen from the cable, the speakers were still working fine. After I initially put it back together I wasn't getting any sound. So for now I've just unplugged them and I'm only using the headphones for sound.

I'll probably check out what's wrong later, but it was late last night and I just wanted to get it going, heh.

Yeah, modding the case as well would be interesting, I just wanted to see if I could get it working first.

Nice! -- Rosecoloredgaming did something similar the other day: GameBoy Macro -- (http://instagram.com/p/k6LgyqtKd0/)
That looks nice!

I've seen others do this to their DSs so I just needed to see how to get it working myself.

It was just for fun anyway. The broken DSL was under 1,000 yen and the tri-wing screw driver to open it is cheap as well.

Just curious, what is the point of watermarking it like that? Covers everything up.

Even if it was original art you made, and you wanted to advertise yourself as the artist, that level of watermarking would be overkill.

Just protecting my collection pics.

There are people who use those pictures on ebay to "sell their collection" or use them as their "own" collection pictures. There are also people who use those pics to show that they are a collector, but in real just are resellers.

I had already pictures stolen and I'm just making sure it doesn't happen again.

Mzo

Growing up, I would never have predicted that people would fake owning a large amount of video games.

The world is all wrong. The general public needs to leave the hobby alone so the resellers can smell out the blood in a different industry.

Ahmed360

Haha I didn't know about this one. Man, come to think of it, all these Game Boy ads have always been racy...

tumblr_m31wbqYLgI1qd4q8ao1_500.jpg

"The second best thing to do in the dark"

These ones for the OG GBA are just plain weird:

a7a8gameboy-advance-cry-small-85207.jpg

nintendo-gameboy-advance-stove-small-38358.jpg

gameboy-prison-small-31121.jpg

And the Game Boy Micro ones were disgusting:

Bug.jpg

OMG XD that is Awesome!!! hahah

I love Gameboy branded handhelds :*)

Growing up, I would never have predicted that people would fake owning a large amount of video games.

The world is all wrong. The general public needs to leave the hobby alone so the resellers can smell out the blood in a different industry.

Me neither, but that is the world I guess. :(

Peagles

No, I don't have the speakers in there at the moment. They are attached to the same cable as as the top screen. When I originally severed the top screen from the cable, the speakers were still working fine. After I initially put it back together I wasn't getting any sound. So for now I've just unplugged them and I'm only using the headphones for sound.

I'll probably check out what's wrong later, but it was late last night and I just wanted to get it going, heh.

Yeah, modding the case as well would be interesting, I just wanted to see if I could get it working first.

That looks nice!

I've seen others do this to their DSs so I just needed to see how to get it working myself.

It was just for fun anyway. The broken DSL was under 1,000 yen and the tri-wing screw driver to open it is cheap as well.

It might depend how you severed the cable. There's so many delicate traces on there.

Out of interest, where in the bottom case did you initially fit the speakers?

Grief.exe

There are people who use those pictures on ebay to "sell their collection" or use them as their "own" collection pictures. There are also people who use those pics to show that they are a collector, but in real just are resellers.

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

Peagles

Wouldn't resellers have enough games in their hoarde to "fake" a collection with pretty much at any given time though?

F**K I hate resellers... T_T

Mother 3 is always the go to example. One that I've been meaning to try for a while now is an RTS game called Napoleon, or L'Aigle de Guerre, a game that was published by Nintendo only in Japan and France.

Thanks! Napoleon doesn't necessarily sound like my cup of tea, but post your impressions if you ever get around to trying it out.

Mother 3 is super popular so I won't waste my time on it, but if you haven't played For the Frog the Bell Tolls, I highly recommend it. It's a fun game with a super funny script that was written by Sakomoto (of Metroid fame) and the translation it top-notch.

For the Frog the Bell Tolls sounds interesting. Added to my list.

Mother 3 can't be stressed enough, astounding game. The Mother 1 half of Mother 1+2 is also worth it, in my opinion, but as an oldschool NES game, its unforgiving mechanics are not for everyone.

The other main title that comes to mind is Fire Emblem 6. Very good game. It's the one with Roy. The first FE game released in English is a prequel to 6.

Hmm... I sense a Mother/Earthbound trend here ;)
Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is definitely on my list. Next up for me in that series is Radiant Dawn, so hopefully the final touchups on the Binding Blade fan translation will be done by the time I'm ready to loop back around to it.

Mother 3 is my favorite game of all time, so here I am to tell you to play it!!

And as previously mentioned, the re-translated Mother 1 GBA port is great as well, but IMO it doesn't really touch the amazing 2nd and 3rd games. Still worth playing, and the easy ring Mato put into the game makes it much more playable.

Alright, alright, you guys have worn me down; I'll finally play the Mother/Earthbound series (have actually been wanting to for a long time but just never got around to it).

It sounds like the consensus is to do Part 1 from the Mother 1+2 GBA pack, then perhaps an SNES emulated version of Part 2 (since I don't have a Wii U for the VC version), and then the GBA version of Part 3 (of course).

Should I do them in that order?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like the consensus is to do Part 1 from the Mother 1+2 GBA pack, then perhaps an SNES emulated version of Part 2 (since I don't have a Wii U for the VC version), and then the GBA version of Part 3 (of course).

Should I do them in that order?

I would. Playing them in that order keeps the story consistent throughout the three. In my opinion, it also goes in order of worst to greatest, though Mother I isn't by any stretch of the meaning a bad game.

As for Napoleon, I have no idea when I'll get around to playing it, but I'll definitely post my impressions of it.

Grief.exe

At what point is Rosecolored going to create a premium Gameboy Advance with original hardware soldered to a OLED screen at 240x160?

Or find a way to attach an upscaling unit and do 480x320. I would buy that at any price.

TnK

I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but probably a significant amount of work. Its been years since I've played an original one, but I don't remember being fond of the buttons myself. Only reason I need one is to capture direct footage from the console for gba and ds games.
Great to know it is possible. Always wanted to own an OG DS with a DS Lite screen. Forgot to add IMO when saying the OG DS buttons are better. DSi XL buttons come a close second though.

Bapho, can you do the mod yourself, or will it be too hard?

It is not something out of the ordinary (internet wise) if you read about it now, but it was relatively new back then for me.

Bog

Junior Ace
Found a perfectly mint, complete copy of Mega Man & Bass at a local shop. Looks like the original owner only ever took the cart out of the box. Everything else was untouched. Even had the baggy.

Made my day.

TreIII

The fuck? Capcom made a Magical Quest 2 and 3 for GBA? Were they good?
Classic Capcom platformer fun. Like with MM&B, the only real loss is the screen area reduction and losing that SNES-quality sound. But if it's the only way to play these gems? By all means...

Mzo

The fuck? Capcom made a Magical Quest 2 and 3 for GBA? Were they good?

Magical Quest 2 is a port of the SNES Great Circus Mystery. Magical Quest 3 was only released on the Super Famicom and stars Mickey and Donald, so the GBA port is the only English version available =O

Joqu

I would. Playing them in that order keeps the story consistent throughout the three. In my opinion, it also goes in order of worst to greatest, though Mother I isn't by any stretch of the meaning a bad game.

I might be in the minority with this but I adore Mother 1. The soundtrack, the atmosphere, the writing,... and all of that (originally) pulled off on an NES? EarthBound and Mother 3 might be two of the greatest games of all time in my opinion but Mother is one of those games that gives me goose bumps. I'm sure this isn't the case with most people but gosh I really do love that game.

Teknoman

Magical Quest 2 is a port of the SNES Great Circus Mystery. Magical Quest 3 was only released on the Super Famicom and stars Mickey and Donald, so the GBA port is the only English version available =O

Looking at it now, I kinda wish it shared Magical Quest 1's theme of another world. Kinda seems like a step back audio wise (1 had some amazing tracks and art design), but its got a cowboy suit and co-op, so that makes it worth it alone.

IrishNinja

still no luck last time i tried to order a flashcard from that one shady site that would break when you clicked on paypal, anyone else found a good GBA one for $30 or so?

this question...it was only half rhetorical

n6DZ7.png
preach

Well, was thinking a while about it for posting, but why not.

This is my PAL GBA collection, all are complete except Ninja Cop, is missing the manual. :( And a NA game, because it didn't come out in Europe. :( Still didn't want to miss that Mighty Final Fight game. :)

f5ji6jr.jpg

*sniff* So lucky. You have FFV and VI... keep me in mind if you ever plan to sell.

d+pad

Thanks in part to this thread, I've been obsessed with Japanese GB and GBA games for the last six or so months. I'm especially interested in obscure and semi-obscure Japanese GB games at the moment.

Speaking of which, I recently nabbed a copy of Painter Mompie. Have any of you heard of this one or played it? It's kind of a Pac-Man clone that puts you in control of a little witch who wields a paint roller. To clear each stage, you have to completely cover its floor with paint -- all while avoiding baddies of various sorts.

It's a really cute game and one I'd definitely recommend picking up if you're into old GB games.

If anyone's interested, I published a post about this game on my blog earlier today and included in it some photos of my copy. Here's a link: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2014/03/...k-of-its-au-courant-counterparts-any-day.html

Teknoman

Thanks in part to this thread, I've been obsessed with Japanese GB and GBA games for the last six or so months. I'm especially interested in obscure and semi-obscure Japanese GB games at the moment.

Count me in too. I feel like classic GB/GBC are the most looked over when it comes to Nintendo classics.

One thing I love about GB/GBC/GBA collecting is that it's actually possible to find stuff on that front in New York City compared to say, SNES, where you're lucky to even come across Super Mario World.

Stopped by a store today out of curiosity, and left with this:

Capcom Classics Mini Mix makes my second complete GBA game since I've started collecting. (with FFV Advance being my first) The Strider port/emulation/whatever could be a lot better since there's slowdown that wasn't in the NES version that I noticed, especially with the audio. Bionic Commando runs well though, and it's nice to have a physical copy of Might Final Fight that won't cost an arm and a leg like the US NES release.

And I've always been one of those weird guys that actually had more fun with the DKL games than DKC, so getting DKL2 was nice as well. The same store had the Wario Land trilogy and Kirby's Dream Land 1 too, so I might go back sometime this week,

Grizzo

So today I've received the GBA OG with a 101 screen that I bought on eBay!

Here it is with Rayman:

And here's River City Ransom:

I have to admit, this is an amazing little system. I love my GBA SP-101 but this one... I don't know, it's just so comfortable and looks so stylish. I'm pleased with my purchase.

Top Bottom