• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

So today I've received the GBA OG with a 101 screen that I bought on eBay!

Here it is with Rayman:

And here's River City Ransom:

I have to admit, this is an amazing little system. I love my GBA SP-101 but this one... I don't know, it's just so comfortable and looks so stylish. I'm pleased with my purchase.

Gorgeous.

Mzo

I definitely want an original GBA with the 101 screen (glass, too!), I think that's the best of both worlds, but I keep hearing such mixed reactions from people buying them. Some people are happy with RCG, some say they're shit. Some people are getting nice ones on eBay, some people are getting cheap knockoff crap.

These 8-bit Evolution translucent ones look great. Anyone bought from them before?

I... I just want to know what to buy *sobs*

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks in part to this thread, I've been obsessed with Japanese GB and GBA games for the last six or so months. I'm especially interested in obscure and semi-obscure Japanese GB games at the moment.

Speaking of which, I recently nabbed a copy of Painter Momopie. Have any of you heard of this one or played it? It's kind of a Pac-Man clone that puts you in control of a little witch who wields a paint roller. To clear each stage, you have to completely cover its floor with paint -- all while avoiding baddies of various sorts.

It's a really cute game and one I'd definitely recommend picking up if you're into old GB games.

If anyone's interested, I published a post about this game on my blog earlier today and included in it some photos of my copy. Here's a link: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2014/03/...k-of-its-au-courant-counterparts-any-day.html

Might have to see if I can find a copy one day. It sounds interesting enough.

Joqu

this question...it was only half rhetorical

Irish, I know it's more expensive but you really gotta go with an EZ Flash IV IMO. A lot of those GBA flashcarts out there are crap really, but that one works like a charm.

Built quality nowadays does tend to be shoddy however so you might have to fix it up a bit if that's a problem. Personally I had to use some glue to keep the thing together but other than that it was fine.

Sadist

One thing I love about GB/GBC/GBA collecting is that it's actually possible to find stuff on that front in New York City compared to say, SNES, where you're lucky to even come across Super Mario World.

Stopped by a store today out of curiosity, and left with this:

Capcom Classics Mini Mix makes my second complete GBA game since I've started collecting. (with FFV Advance being my first) The Strider port/emulation/whatever could be a lot better since there's slowdown that wasn't in the NES version that I noticed, especially with the audio. Bionic Commando runs well though, and it's nice to have a physical copy of Might Final Fight that won't cost an arm and a leg like the US NES release.

And I've always been one of those weird guys that actually had more fun with the DKL games than DKC, so getting DKL2 was nice as well. The same store had the Wario Land trilogy and Kirby's Dream Land 1 too, so I might go back sometime this week,
I own Capcom Classics Mini Mix as well and I was really surprised at how playable Bionic Commando and Mighty Final Fight are, especially the latter. Best 98 eurocents (!) I ever spent.

Grief.exe

I definitely want an original GBA with the 101 screen (glass, too!), I think that's the best of both worlds, but I keep hearing such mixed reactions from people buying them. Some people are happy with RCG, some say they're shit. Some people are getting nice ones on eBay, some people are getting cheap knockoff crap.

These 8-bit Evolution translucent ones look great. Anyone bought from them before?

I... I just want to know what to buy *sobs*

That glass screen is just too good to pass up.

Coda

Playing Gunstar Super Heroes on my Mother 3 GBA Micro has been my favorite on the go pastime as of late. I really need to pick up an English translated cart of Mother 3 soon though. I need to beat that game.

d+pad

Hm, Painter Momopie sounds an awful lot like NGPC's Crush Roller.

But then I looked up vids and it's still pretty different, despite doing the exact same thing.

Yeah, they're definitely variations on a theme. I'd say I like Crush Roller (the NGPC version, at least) better than I like Painter Momopie, due in large part to how vibrant Crush Roller is, but Painter Momopie is a lot less frustrating to play.

d+pad

Also, the seller does have a fair amount of negative feedback. Although, they have a ton of positive.

I've used them quite a bit and never had a problem with them myself. I like them because they get a LOT of stock in and often allow people to make an offer on "Buy It Now" auctions. My only complaint about them at all would be that if they say something's in "C"-level condition or worse, that means it's pretty banged up. That said, the copy of Painter Momopie I bought was labeled as being "mint," and it most definitely is/was.

Het_Nkik

Yeah, whenever I buy something from Japan off eBay, it tends to come from either hit-japan or some other seller who's name is like... jghyajjdja (EDIT: Looked through my e-mails and it's yjjyhgfju)

Never had a problem with either of 'em.

Slermy

How is puzzle fighter 2 for the GBA?

Is it worth $10?

If you have the option of going for another version (Saturn, PSX, XBLA) I'd go for that. If not, it'll do. I don't remember what the issues were exactly, but I had a few friends pretty pissed at this port.

Lynd7

I've used them quite a bit and never had a problem with them myself. I like them because they get a LOT of stock in and often allow people to make an offer on "Buy It Now" auctions. My only complaint about them at all would be that if they say something's in "C"-level condition or worse, that means it's pretty banged up. That said, the copy of Painter Momopie I bought was labeled as being "mint," and it most definitely is/was.

Ah ok.

Btw do you have any other JP Game Boy suggestions?

QTOpAlA.jpg

Got some of these in the mail today from Amazon. Fucking garbage. None of my GBAs will power on if I plug in the first player one. 2-4 work fine, but you have to use the first player one. So, it's worthless garbage. There are no reviews for it but the other products from the company seem pretty low rated with people saying they don't work.

Sucks how expensive the first party link cables are.

Grief.exe

Got some of these in the mail today from Amazon. Fucking garbage. None of my GBAs will power on if I plug in the first player one. 2-4 work fine, but you have to use the first player one. So, it's worthless garbage. There are no reviews for it but the other products from the company seem pretty low rated with people saying they don't work.

Sucks how expensive the first party link cables are.

They have a massive short in them then, what a piece of shit.

Grizzo

I've been replaying Wario Land 4 on the hard difficulty. Man, people tend to forget how flawless that game is. From the insane creativity of some levels (the Topaz passage comes to mind, especially) and the fun of mini-games and weapons you can use against bosses, to the spectacular presentation (sound and graphics), it's really one of the best games on the GBA. It even has high-quality songs with digitized voices.

Also, I love those puzzle rooms to get the big diamond. I wouldn't mind playing a game with just those kind of levels.

hqdefault.jpg

It's just a joy to blaze through this game every time. I wish Nintendo would wake up and start working on Wario Land 5 for the 3DS :(

Well I got them and they are indeed fakes. They are well done fakes, they have the right kind of metallic gloss on the labels, no errors on the labels. However they have the incorrect circuit board configuration visible though the plastic. The plastic itself is cheap and the NINTENDO text on the boards are incorrect. Also when saving the games freeze momentarily.

I've put through a case for a refund, I don't know if I'll actually need to return them to get it though.

Well the seller didn't respond so eBay ruled in my favor and I got my refund.

I think I am going to give up trying to get Emerald and Fire Red for now. I'd really like one of those backlit OG GBAs though.

smbu2000

It might depend how you severed the cable. There's so many delicate traces on there.

Out of interest, where in the bottom case did you initially fit the speakers?
Possibly, but the speakers were working after I separated it from the upper lcd screen. Maybe I twisted something wrong when I was putting it back together.

I wasn't sure about that, I was trying to maneuver them somewhere in there. Possibly in the DS cart slot or somewhere around there. Maybe seeing about trying to remove the DS slot if possible. Since the speakers aren't working, I'm just leaving it as is for the moment.

OT: My Chinese GBA SP (backlit) knock-off finally shipped from the seller. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Het_Nkik

Anyone remember this game?

magination_frontcover_large_XnAMTabj8Rszd9S.jpg

581122_36149_back.jpg

I really liked it back in the day and IIRC it offered quite a bit of content.

I know this is an older post but it's my first time seeing it as I was following SG-17's bootleg saga.

But yeah, I have this game. Bought it based on a friend's recommendation. The graphics are crazy good and and the writing's really well done as well. My only issue is that the battles are really sloooow. Wish there was a way to speed them up.

Zalman

Awesome, I'll see if I can find a good deal!
Update: Managed to grab it [Gunstar Future/Super Heroes] online for ~$20 complete. Figured that's a good price on this side of the world. :) Always exciting to add a new game to the collection.

Grizzo

Update: Managed to grab it [Gunstar Future/Super Heroes] online for ~$20 complete. Figured that's a good price on this side of the world. :) Always exciting to add a new game to the collection.

Your post about it the other day enticed me to the exact same thing for the same price (roughly, I managed to find a complete copy for 17 euros). It should arrive this week. I can't wait to try that game!

d+pad

Ah ok.

Btw do you have any other JP Game Boy suggestions?

Oh, sure! Here are a few that are worth checking out, IMO:

Cave Noire
Ghostbusters II (by HAL!)
Kitchen Panic
Parodius Da!
Penguin Land
Pri Pri Primitive Princess
Twinbee Da!

There are others, of course, but none of these require Japanese knowledge (well, except for maybe Cave Noire) and are mostly easy to find.

plc268

I've been replaying Wario Land 4 on the hard difficulty. Man, people tend to forget how flawless that game is. From the insane creativity of some levels (the Topaz passage comes to mind, especially) and the fun of mini-games and weapons you can use against bosses, to the spectacular presentation (sound and graphics), it's really one of the best games on the GBA. It even has high-quality songs with digitized voices.

Also, I love those puzzle rooms to get the big diamond. I wouldn't mind playing a game with just those kind of levels.

hqdefault.jpg

It's just a joy to blaze through this game every time. I wish Nintendo would wake up and start working on Wario Land 5 for the 3DS :(

Funny you should mention it, I've been playing through WL4 for the first time. I've had it forever, but I never really played more than a few levels or so. Big mistake. The game is just a freaking masterpiece. There's so much variety from level to level, that it's just insane.

I also haven't played Wario Land 2 and 3 to completion either. I remember always getting stuck early on. I loved Wario Land 1 as a kid, but I haven't played it since.

And there's that one wario land game for the Wii, but I haven't seen it in action to know if it's good or not.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Played my original GBA modded with AGS-101 screen last night and it's fantastic :) I wish there was a backlight option for the NGPC.

The EZ-Flash IV card sure is a poor build though - looking constantly like it may burst open.

Played my original GBA modded with AGS-101 screen last night and it's fantastic :) I wish there was a backlight option for the NGPC.

The EZ-Flash IV card sure is a poor build though - looking constantly like it may burst open.
I've only had mine for 2 days and it DID bust open on the side where the SD card inserts.The circuit board is also peeling off the plastic on one side

The build quality is pure shit. Other than that though it works pretty well. Here's hoping it holds up

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've only had mine for 2 days and it DID bust open on the side where the SD card inserts.The circuit board is also peeling off the plastic on one side

The build quality is pure shit. Other than that though it works pretty well. Here's hoping it holds up

I'm wondering if I can put it in a regular GBA cart shell (with a slot cut out for the SD card). Could be a neat weekend project.

when i took mine apart to solder the battery on, the screw hole was not aligned properly and now the damn thing wont screw back together.

right now, the case is being held by a couple pieces of scotch tape.

also, when i stick the cart into the GBA, it has to stick out a bit (if it's all the way in, the cart boots up in GBC mode and doesn't start)

Teknoman

So...Bionic Commando: Elite Forces. Is it a remake of the original GB or just a retelling of sorts?

Wario Land Shake it for the Wii: Really easy but is amazing looking and has a great soundtrack.

I'm going to work my way up through the series from Wario Land 1 and, to a certain extent, SML2.

They're well worth playing. WL2 is where the series introduces many of the mechanics that would become standard for the series. WL4 is definitely my favorite of the bunch. Don't forget WL Virtual Boy :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got a jack adapter for my GBA SP today! Works like a charm, fast shipment so will recommend it, costed £3.99 on ebay

More purple Game Boy goodness. I got a decent-ish deal on a complete purple Micro.

Q9cCu5Ol.jpg

yPY1zPkl.jpg

8GW8e0Dl.jpg

AuTwoHYl.jpg

It looks more pink than purple. Still love this thing to death, though.

Coda

More purple Game Boy goodness. I got a decent-ish deal on a complete purple Micro.

Q9cCu5Ol.jpg

yPY1zPkl.jpg

8GW8e0Dl.jpg

AuTwoHYl.jpg

It looks more pink than purple. Still love this thing to death, though.

Holy shit dawg, that is beautiful! I didn't know that existed. I just bought a Mother 3 Micro, it was so worth it, love the thing to death.

Top Bottom