• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

womp

I can tell you that your lens is glass simply because it has the sorta holographic film under the log that all the newest glass lenses have. They used to just have a metallic silver film. Also, if you have a normal GBA with a plastic lens, you can compare by tapping on the lens with your fingernail of each. A glass lens produces a distinctly different tone ;)

Getting these things 100% lint/dust/debris-free is no easy task. Even if you manage to clear out teh fleck you see right now, it's entirely possible for another to get in. The GBA is not an airtight machine. The problem is that the mod requires removal of the 2-sided foam tape which surrounds the original LCD. It's purpose, beyond keeping the LCD in place, it to prevent dust from getting in between the lens and the LCD. I've never seen another modder replace the tape after modding the shell, but we have started doing so and it helps a TON! If you're up for taking it apart, I would very much so suggest throwing some thin, 2-sided foam tape around the perimeter of the LCD before re-installing it.

If you just want to try and get rid of the dust that's under the lens right now, then yank the lens off with a suction cup (you'll prolly need one at least 1.5" in diameter to provide enough suction), remove the dust with either canned air or a DRY Q-tip, then make sure no dust has settled on the lens, and replace. If you use ANY cleaning agent, whether it be water, Windex, isopropyl, or whatever, you'll find out that it's even harder to remove the film/smudges left by it than the dust itself.

To sum it up, if you can deal with the fleck of dust, then I would highly suggest leaving it be :)

Thanks for the tips!

While you are here, perhaps you have some insight on this one...I'm noticing while playing certain Gameboy/Gameboy Color games, at times the LCD will flicker, almost in sync with the music. Any idea what the cause of this is? Seems like a power draw?

TreIII

Aww. An email that I sent to Rose Colored Gaming a while returned, saying that more "Grow Up" and "Get a Life" GBAs would be in stock in like two weeks. But I check today, and those GBAs have been "Retired"...

What am I supposed to do with this quote?

I don't know what I can address here

What do you want me to say about this that hasn't already been said?

Say and do whatever you want. You asked what had been said here, I found the quotes for you. All I know about you guys is you have some cool looking shit on your site, but nothing that interests me. I have no stake in the matter.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Trans-blue replacement case; trans-clear buttons; chrome screen cover; backlight screen mod; bivertion mod; prosound mod. I like the improved contrast!

Scariest part was peeling off the reflective backing of the lcd. Hardest part is getting everything dust-free - it's not visible in the pictures, but there are some darkish patches that I believe are dust particles somewhere between the lcd and the polarization film - but I think I can live with them. Not very confident with my soldering, but I think it went well.

GBMod_1.jpg

GBMod_2.jpg

Thanks for the tips!

While you are here, perhaps you have some insight on this one...I'm noticing while playing certain Gameboy/Gameboy Color games, at times the LCD will flicker, almost in sync with the music. Any idea what the cause of this is? Seems like a power draw?

Hmm, that isn't something I've ever seen. I would double check to make sure that the power wire (the wire soldered to the board) isn't touching anything else.

Aww. An email that I sent to Rose Colored Gaming a while returned, saying that more "Grow Up" and "Get a Life" GBAs would be in stock in like two weeks. But I check today, and those GBAs have been "Retired"...

We did?! Well, my now no-longer-with-us web manager would have sent that response, though I have NO idea why :(

What's the current turnaround time for a Purple Turf? I want one for my birthday in May.

We are very much so back on our 6-week MAX turnaround time, so early May is entirely doable :)

Trans-blue replacement case; trans-clear buttons; chrome screen cover; backlight screen mod; bivertion mod; prosound mod. I like the improved contrast!

Scariest part was peeling off the reflective backing of the lcd. Hardest part is getting everything dust-free - it's not visible in the pictures, but there are some darkish patches that I believe are dust particles somewhere between the lcd and the polarization film - but I think I can live with them. Not very confident with my soldering, but I think it went well.

Looks good! 100% dust-free is indeed a nearly impossible task.

Super cool. I love the look of translucent handheld game hardware!

Grief.exe

GBMod_2.jpg

Well done, that is gorgeous.

The explanation i got from RCG was that the GBA uses a 60hz LCDwhere as the replacement SP LCD uses a 50hz.

That isn't true. If it was 50hz you would notice an insane amount of choppyness or slowdown since all GBA games are designed to run on 60hz panels -- this would equivalent to switching from NTSC to PAL. I don't know where this idea came from but it's insane.

The reason it looks blurry is because its an old/cheap LCD that has ghosting issues. Look at a PSP screen from the same era, it has the same problem (only worse).

^^^ We're working on building a stock-pile of shells painted LONG before we build the consoles so that all the paint has COMPLETELY gassed off before the product reaches the customer. I know it's not exactly pleasant to receive something that smells of harsh chemicals :/

It did not smell that bad at all. It was gone in a few days anyways.

FYI it was one of the iam8bit batches if that makes a difference.

Either way not a problem.

That isn't true. If it was 50hz you would notice an insane amount of choppyness or slowdown since all GBA games are designed to run on 60hz panels -- this would equivalent to switching from NTSC to PAL. I don't know where this idea came from but it's insane.

The reason it looks blurry is because its an old/cheap LCD that has ghosting issues. Look at a PSP screen from the same era, it has the same problem (only worse).

It is indeed a 50hz versus 60hz issue. It's quite commonly known, so I won't spend the time finding links for you, but it's pretty easy to find the information out there if you spend a few minutes with google. Here's the breakdown:

AGB-001 - 60hz
AGS-001 - 60hz
AGS-101 - 50hz (the LCD that we use)
OXY-001 - 60hz

It did not smell that bad at all. It was gone in a few days anyways.

FYI it was one of the iam8bit batches if that makes a difference.

Either way not a problem.

It does. We had to crank those out in like 2 days, so they went out damned near wet LOL!

Ibuki

Banned
I am looking into getting a GB Micro and FF VI Advance, is there anything I need to look out for? I'll be buying off of ebay most likely.

It is indeed a 50hz versus 60hz issue. It's quite commonly known, so I won't spend the time finding links for you, but it's pretty easy to find the information out there if you spend a few minutes with google. Here's the breakdown:

AGB-001 - 60hz
AGS-001 - 60hz
AGS-101 - 50hz (the LCD that we use)
OXY-001 - 60hz
I've seen this rumor off an on for years with no real confirmation other than forum chatter. It would be immediately obvious if you were running a 60hz game at 50hz. You would see either everything running ~16% slower, or you would see motion hitching caused by the pulldown from 60 to 50.

The ghosting issue is just it being a kinda crappy screen with a slow response time.

Rich!

The ghosting issue is just it being a kinda crappy screen with a slow response time.

Indeed. Homebrew coder/rom hacker here - I remember this coming up as a debate on Acmlm's years back when the AGS-101 first came out. It's 60hz. It handles interlacing differently, and has a shitty response time. That's it.

Running it at 50hz would have been a WTF decision, and would have been immediately obvious, not to mention throwing up huge compatibility issues (it would have utterly broken the fake transparencies used by numerous games, including F Zero and Mario Kart).

Hello guys. Any UK Gaffers here that can provide a GBC frontlight mod service, or know of somewhere here I can get it done? I'm looking to pick up a GBC.

I've seen this rumor off an on for years with no real confirmation other than forum chatter. It would be immediately obvious if you were running a 60hz game at 50hz. You would see either everything running ~16% slower, or you would see motion hitching caused by the pulldown from 60 to 50.

I don't know what "motion hitching" is, but the backlit SP LCD is most definitely laggy, whether it be in a modded AGB-001 or an AGS-101.

I guess you could explain it by asserting that they used a "crappy screen", but being as that doesn't really address anything which is actually measurable, it seems to make a lot more sense that it is indeed a refresh rate difference.

@Rose_Colored_Gaming

Will you produce more Game Boy Micro faceplates?

We're working on it...

Rich!

I don't know what "motion hitching" is,

You in the UK? Go look at an Xbox One. 50 does not fit into 60, so when a 50hz input is put through (TV in the UK), it has to duplicate a frame to make up for it, resulting in a shitty juddering mess. The AGS 101 screen does not do this, it's just got a slow refresh rate and a differing implementation of interpolation.

Which zelda gba game do you guys recommend more?

LTTP or Minish Cap?

I've never played either. I have heard the dark world theme from LTTP and I love that song.

Jamix012

LTTP or Minish Cap?

I've never played either. I have heard the dark world theme from LTTP and I love that song.

Are you new to the Zelda series in general? If yes then go with Minish Cap first, it's significantly easier, but still fun to play. If no then probably LTTP. I personally prefer MC, but LTTP is generally more loved and appreciated so the average player is probably more likely to enjoy it. Have you ever played the GBC Zeldas? If you liked those LTTP will be right up your alley, if not then Minish Cap is for you.

Are you new to the Zelda series in general? If yes then go with Minish Cap first, it's significantly easier, but still fun to play. If no then probably LTTP. I personally prefer MC, but LTTP is generally more loved and appreciated so the average player is probably more likely to enjoy it. Have you ever played the GBC Zeldas? If you liked those LTTP will be right up your alley, if not then Minish Cap is for you.

Yeah I loved Links Awakening so I'll probably go with LTTP.

You in the UK? Go look at an Xbox One. 50 does not fit into 60, so when a 50hz input is put through (TV in the UK), it has to duplicate a frame to make up for it, resulting in a shitty juddering mess. The AGS 101 screen does not do this, it's just got a slow refresh rate and a differing implementation of interpolation.

No, US. But the 101 LCD does have that specific issue as best I can see. A Link to the Past and Minish Cap make it really evident :/

baphomet

So im trying to figure out the best way to capture footage of GBC games on actual hardware. I'm happy with my original GB capture quality, and alright with my GBA quality. I'm considering buying a wide boy 64 cgb, but I need to know if it could be output via rgb from the n64. I'm assuming yes, but some confirmation would be great.

If anyone else had any suggestions that would be great. For the time being I suppose the gameboy player will suffice, but I hate that you can't remove everything except the game screen. You always have that border and the options button on everything.

This is what I ended up with for original gameboy captures.
http://youtu.be/Xsbmq-MxzKA

LTTP or Minish Cap?

if you're partially buying it for the music just be aware LTTP on GBA doesn't sound as good as it did on SNES due to worse sound hardware. It's been re-arranged for the GBA sound capabilities, but it still doesn't match the original stuff.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

LTTP or Minish Cap?

LTTP is probably the best Zelda game of all time, with only a few competitors. From what I remember, Minish Cap is not one of those competitors.

Jamix012

So im trying to figure out the best way to capture footage of GBC games on actual hardware. I'm happy with my original GB capture quality, and alright with my GBA quality. I'm considering buying a wide boy 64 cgb, but I need to know if it could be output via rgb from the n64. I'm assuming yes, but some confirmation would be great.

If anyone else had any suggestions that would be great. For the time being I suppose the gameboy player will suffice, but I hate that you can't remove everything except the game screen. You always have that border and the options button on everything.

The N64 needs a mod to output RGB, so there's that too. What exactly is wrong with the Gamecube's GameboyPlayer? Sure you won't get RGB if you want a progressive signal, but Component is pretty damn close.

Edit: If you really want to go all the way, you CAN get RGB and 480p out of a gamecube via VGA mods for the Gamecube Component Cables...I think?

baphomet

The N64 needs a mod to output RGB, so there's that too. What exactly is wrong with the Gamecube's GameboyPlayer? Sure you won't get RGB if you want a progressive signal, but Component is pretty damn close.

Edit: If you really want to go all the way, you CAN get RGB and 480p out of a gamecube via VGA mods for the Gamecube Component Cables...I think?

Well I already have an rgb n64, so that's moot. The problem with the GameCube player is that you can't remove all the garbage from the screen. No matter what you have an ambient border and a giant "options z-button", or something like that plastered on the screen. If it weren't for that, I would just buy the component cables or dterminal cables for the cube and be done with it. Unfortunately the fact you can't remove those is a deal breaker for it. So much I'd rather spend $200 on a wideboy 64 so I can capture footage without them.

Rich!

I wonder if the menu on the Game Boy Player can be hacked out/disabled, either with a patch or an action replay...

If I still had one, I'd definitely look into it. It's doable, at least. Might ask on romhacking.net. Even then though, you'll still have a 480i/p image rather than a more XRGB friendly 240i from a wideboy.

I don't know what "motion hitching" is, but the backlit SP LCD is most definitely laggy, whether it be in a modded AGB-001 or an AGS-101.

I guess you could explain it by asserting that they used a "crappy screen", but being as that doesn't really address anything which is actually measurable, it seems to make a lot more sense that it is indeed a refresh rate difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_time_(technology)#Display_technologies

Older monitors with long response times would create a smear or blur pattern around moving objects, making them unacceptable for moving video.

Peagles

How can I test the 001 and 101 side by side to see what the 101 screen problem is?

I've got them both running Warioware Twisted side by side.

The problem with GBAs for GBC games is that they don't get the colors quite right -- they're a little bit too dark. Generally this isn't too much of a problem, but occasionally it's enough of an issue to make me really want to play some games on a real GBC... and yeah, the GB Player is the same as a GBA or GBA SP in that regard. This might be hard to notice if you just look at games on a GBA (original, SP, or Player), but compare it to a GBC and the difference should be apparent. I don't know if there's any solution to this outside of a real GBC or an emulator.

-KRS-

Well I already have an rgb n64, so that's moot. The problem with the GameCube player is that you can't remove all the garbage from the screen. No matter what you have an ambient border and a giant "options z-button", or something like that plastered on the screen. If it weren't for that, I would just buy the component cables or dterminal cables for the cube and be done with it. Unfortunately the fact you can't remove those is a deal breaker for it. So much I'd rather spend $200 on a wideboy 64 so I can capture footage without them.

Can't you just crop the image in post? Would be significantly cheaper than spending $200 lol.

This thread is awesome. The GBA, in my opinion, is Nintendo's best console. So many fantastic RPGs that you can take wherever you go. I need to start a collection up. However, I've only got some GB/GBC stuff. Let me get a pic up.

xw7toNW.jpg

Sorry about the quality. If you can't tell, just an old GBC case with some earbuds, a cleaning kit, Pac Man (underneath Pac Man is some crappy WWF game), lime green GBC, Pokemon Blue, 720, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Pinball, Perfect Dark (lol), a Game Boy Printer, and some extra printing paper. Not very impressive, but there it is.

Grief.exe

I just realized I can't even use my new headphones for portable gaming. They have 64 Ohms of impedance and need to be amped, and I do not own a portable amplifier.

My old AD700s will be just fine though, its not like GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS are pushing some deep musical properties that you miss with lesser phones.

baphomet

Has there been any word on when krikzz will finish the GB/GBC everdrive? I just sold my 64mb ems cart and don't want to have to pick up another waiting for the everdrive.

Top Bottom