• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

womp

I decided to pick up the game based on that thread, helped that the game is .50 on Amazon, seems like one of those diamond in the rough licensed games.

I highly recommend Bruce Lee, in that case...Long time favorite of mine.

2014-03-19

maxcriden

I decided to pick up the game based on that thread, helped that the game is .50 on Amazon, seems like one of those diamond in the rough licensed games.

BTW, I'm getting a bit confused about all of these HP games. What are the GBA Harry Potter games vs. the GBC ones? I mean, I know Azkaban is the next HP RPG after the two GBC ones, but it appears there are two other GBA HP games, too, Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets...same names as the first two GBC ones. Any idea what the deal is?

Grief.exe

BTW, I'm getting a bit confused about all of these HP games. What are the GBA Harry Potter games vs. the GBC ones? I mean, I know Azkaban is the next HP RPG after the two GBC ones, but it appears there are two other GBA HP games, too, Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets...same names as the first two GBC ones. Any idea what the deal is?

The HP games are so crazy to actually follow, there have been so many of them and even ones that were released at the same time are by different developers.

I know that the two GBC games that were done by Griptonite are considered very good, the Prisoner of Azkaban release did not turn out so well due to publisher meddling.

I'm not sure if any of the other Harry Potter releases are any good, but I've never heard anything overwhelming positive about any other title.

I'm assuming EA doesn't own the licence anymore as none of the PC games are available for purchase on Origin, though that is by no means definitive.

maxcriden

The HP games are so crazy to actually follow, there have been so many of them and even ones that were released at the same time are by different developers.

I know that the two GBC games that were done by Griptonite are considered very good, the Prisoner of Azkaban release did not turn out so well due to publisher meddling.

I'm not sure if any of the other Harry Potter releases are any good, but I've never heard anything overwhelming positive about any other title.

I'm assuming EA doesn't own the licence anymore as none of the PC games are available for purchase on Origin, though that is by no means definitive.

Ah ha, that makes a bit more sense, then. Thanks for the info, Grief!

paolo11

gg7xiTe

My Megaman GB collection.

Now i just need Megaman Extreme 1 and 2.

Edit: When I copy the URL and post it here, I highlight the URL and press Img on my cell, no?

Grief.exe

When you guys upload to imgur, you need to click on the image and copy the URL before linking here. Alternatively, right click image > copy image URL

Currently, you are just linking to a website, not an actual image.

I also cut and downsampled the shit out of that image.

oig8krs.jpg

paolo11

When you guys upload to imgur, you need to click on the image and copy the URL before linking here. Alternatively, right click image > copy image URL

Currently, you are just linking to a website, not an actual image.

I also cut and downsampled the shit out of that image.

oig8krs.jpg

Thanks. Let me try it again. I am on my cell.

Peagles

Cross-posting from the GB Micro thread to see if there's enough interest for me to do this...

Would there be any interest if I made a bulk order for some faceplates for GBM?

They're not first party but I'll be able to verify the quality myself when I get them. Photos look good quality wise. Colour options I have currently are black, silver, and light blue.

I have to order at least 50 so I want to make sure this will be useful for people before I blow a few hundred $ on pieces of plastic, hehe.

d+pad

I'm completely obsessed with the GameBoy at the moment. In fact, I recently declared 2014 to be my own personal "Year of the GameBoy" on my blog. Ha! Anyway, one of my many recent pick-ups:

fC8COcvl.jpg

It's far from the greatest Japan-only GB game, but it's an enjoyable enough little romp.

Also, here's a just-published review of it, if anyone cares: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2014/03/the-great-gaymathon-review-67-kitchen-panic-gameboy.html

Edit: Gah! I guess GAF doesn't like Flickr? Here's a link to the photo above, until I can figure out a work-around: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bochalla/13112014814/

d+pad

The cover reminds me of Harvest Moon.

Love the name of your blog!

You know, I never thought about it looking like Harvest Moon until now, but you're right!

The main character also *kind of* recalls Ness from Mother/EarthBound.

Also, glad to hear you like the name of my blog :3

maxcriden

You know, I never thought about it looking like Harvest Moon until now, but you're right!

The main character also *kind of* recalls Ness from Mother/EarthBound.

Also, glad to hear you like the name of my blog :3

Bryan, that looks like a pretty fun game! I enjoyed your review. I've never heard of the game. BTW, I saw you're playing Yoshi's New Island, how are you liking it? I'm almost done (not going for 100% yet, just completing the game) and really digging it.

d+pad

Bryan, that looks like a pretty fun game! I enjoyed your review. I've never heard of the game. BTW, I saw you're playing Yoshi's New Island, how are you liking it? I'm almost done (not going for 100% yet, just completing the game) and really digging it.

Thanks, maxcriden! It's definitely a somewhat-obscure GB game, if only because it's kind of mediocre and also from a publisher that's not exactly top tier. Still, I like it and I'm glad I found a CIB copy of it. As for Yoshi's New Island: I have to confess that while I'm in possession of a copy of it, I haven't actually started playing it. Going to rectify that tonight, though. I'll let you know this weekend what I think of it. Really glad to hear you're digging it, though :)

Rich!

After a long hard think, I've reconsidered my backlit GBP. Normally, I'd keep it, but there's a good amount more I need rather than it.

I would list everything here, but I'll just post my ebay listing for it instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Pocket-BACKLIT-RARE-Great-condition-/171274553443

I'd be willing to sell directly on GAF if anyone wants, and I'll forego the shipping costs as a discount (and cancel the ebay listing of course, unless you want to buy through there). I'd happily ship overseas too for a GAF member.

Let me know.

womp

After a long hard think, I've reconsidered my backlit GBP. Normally, I'd keep it, but there's a good amount more I need rather than it.

I would list everything here, but I'll just post my ebay listing for it instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Pocket-BACKLIT-RARE-Great-condition-/171274553443

I'd be willing to sell directly on GAF if anyone wants, and I'll forego the shipping costs as a discount (and cancel the ebay listing of course, unless you want to buy through there). I'd happily ship overseas too for a GAF member.

Let me know.

Damn man...sorry to see you getting rid of it.

How much would you be willing to sell for total to a US GAF member? I think it looks awesome.

Rich!

Damn man...sorry to see you getting rid of it.

How much would you be willing to sell for total to a US GAF member? I think it looks awesome.

Well, I'd want to make my money back. As such, with a couple of quid for posting (I'd wipe off fees for the UK, but for the USA it's around £7 for shipping to the USA) it'd be £54, which is $90. Anything less, and I'm making a loss (it was £45 for the console, and I'm bundling in Wario Land, a case and overseas shipping)

edit: Tracked shipping to the USA seems to be £12.50, so the cost for a US buyer would be exactly $100 for the lot, or $90 if they want the console+case without Wario Land 2 or the Game Boy Camera.

Grief.exe

Let me know.

That's too bad.

John Blade

Well, I'd want to make my money back. As such, with a couple of quid for posting (I'd wipe off fees for the UK, but for the USA it's around £7 for shipping to the USA) it'd be £54, which is $90. Anything less, and I'm making a loss (it was £45 for the console, and I'm bundling in Wario Land, a case and overseas shipping)

edit: Tracked shipping to the USA seems to be £12.50, so the cost for a US buyer would be exactly $100 for the lot, or $90 if they want the console+case without Wario Land 2 or the Game Boy Camera.

PM you for your Game Boy.

John Blade

You are lucky I just grabbed a backlit GBA....

Well...I like unique handheld system. If you see some of my post here, I got few back lit handheld from GBA SP and Neo Geo Pocket Color. I love those stuff and like to use it to play my game collection I have currently.

How can you tell if the screen is plastic or one of those glass ones? Any sure fire way? Right now I have the protective plastic still on top and have yet to peel it off. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to clear out that fuzz under the screen but I guess I may have to disassemble completely to get to it.

The screen is pretty comparable to a SP 101 on the default lighting, and even though I noted some blur during on screen motion at times, I also see it on my actual SP 101 as well. That said, I don't think it is an issue. Just having an OG GBA with the backlit screen is just amazing.

I can tell you that your lens is glass simply because it has the sorta holographic film under the log that all the newest glass lenses have. They used to just have a metallic silver film. Also, if you have a normal GBA with a plastic lens, you can compare by tapping on the lens with your fingernail of each. A glass lens produces a distinctly different tone ;)

Getting these things 100% lint/dust/debris-free is no easy task. Even if you manage to clear out teh fleck you see right now, it's entirely possible for another to get in. The GBA is not an airtight machine. The problem is that the mod requires removal of the 2-sided foam tape which surrounds the original LCD. It's purpose, beyond keeping the LCD in place, it to prevent dust from getting in between the lens and the LCD. I've never seen another modder replace the tape after modding the shell, but we have started doing so and it helps a TON! If you're up for taking it apart, I would very much so suggest throwing some thin, 2-sided foam tape around the perimeter of the LCD before re-installing it.

If you just want to try and get rid of the dust that's under the lens right now, then yank the lens off with a suction cup (you'll prolly need one at least 1.5" in diameter to provide enough suction), remove the dust with either canned air or a DRY Q-tip, then make sure no dust has settled on the lens, and replace. If you use ANY cleaning agent, whether it be water, Windex, isopropyl, or whatever, you'll find out that it's even harder to remove the film/smudges left by it than the dust itself.

To sum it up, if you can deal with the fleck of dust, then I would highly suggest leaving it be :)

...Was considering Rose Colored Gaming until I heard about the complaints on GAF (perhaps in this thread). I'd like to get one that has a GBA SP+ backlight in it.

What were the specific complaints? I can address them if you'd like.

womp

Well...I like unique handheld system. If you see some of my post here, I got few back lit handheld from GBA SP and Neo Geo Pocket Color. I love those stuff and like to use it to play my game collection I have currently.

All I meant by that was that you are lucky I just ran out of money buying that backlit GBA I just got or else I would have beat you to that Pocket. ;)

John Blade

All I meant by that was that you are lucky I just ran out of money buying that backlit GBA I just got or else I would have beat you to that Pocket. ;)

Haha...well, I am over my budget now when spending on anything I like to buy so, won't be buying anything for at least a month. You might have a better chance of getting more cool stuff than I will get.

What were the specific complaints? I can address them if you'd like.

From this forum:

But yea, Wiggy (the guy who runs rosecoloredgaming) has a stick up his ass most of the time. He's surrounded by people who do nothing but praise him on multiple forums, and when people have legitimate problems with him, he attacks the customer. He also frequently censors comments on his own site, because god forbid someone say anything bad about his $400+ (I forget the price) Zelda repro set.

I just want to mention that I bought a GBA from Rose Colored and returned it a few days later for repairs. I still want it but honestly, what they sent me was shocking condition wise.

I hope they send me a decent one back, but my next one will be from a small seller on ebay who takes his/her time. I'm sure Rose Colored did great work when they were a smaller operation, but mine was slapped together with a motherboard that was clearly on its last legs, put together improperly and sent off without even testing the thing.

From another forum that was linked to on here:

goldenegg said:
So I ordered a modded GBC from them and couldn't be more disappointed in the quality of the system. The screen is hazy, with large bands across the screen that move as you tilt the system. Also, my system arrived defective with non functional B and A buttons.

I was planning to get GBA and NGPC systems from them as well, but I no longer have confidence in the quality of their work.

JdGQZZy.jpg

Here's a pic of the screen. The distortions on the screen are not from my camera. That's how it actually looks.

famicommander said:
I'm actually upset at the guy for another reason: his terrible customer service. I had multiple long communication gaps during the course of our transaction. He told me the actual work would take quite awhile before I started and I was okay with that, but he was terribly slow in responding to emails. He told me that he would notify me when the systems arrived at his house and I didn't hear from him until 18 days (and a few emails sent to him) after the tracking number showed it had arrived. Then, when he finally told we the work was done he stated his final price, saying that if I would just confirm it he would send an invoice "ASAP" so that I could pay. I responded to that message within 20 minutes of receiving it. I confirmed the price and requested an invoice and the above photo. I didn't get the invoice for three days, and I again paid as soon as I got it (this previous Monday). I tell him that I want it shipped the next day because he charged me 15 dollars for shipping (from Columbus to Denver; I sent the systems to his house for half that). He responded that he did not ship every day and that he would do it "in the next few days". I have not heard from him since but I did get an email from Paypal saying that "the item had shipped" with a tracking number. However, the tracking number still comes up "electronic shipping info received" meaning he still has not actually put the damned box in the mail.

There is more at the thread that doesn't make you guys come across in a good light, but I'm not going to post the entire back and forth.

If the pictures there that famicommander posted of his Color and Micro plate are legit and from you guys as he claimed, that shit is pretty fucked up looking. And the response of "nah, shit was fine. Just wipe it off" isn't very convincing, especially when there is a second user there claiming their micro plate arrived fucked as well.

My only specific complaint about RCG is that nothing is ever in stock when I check. I would have easily spent a few hundred dollars at this point.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to replace an original game boy screen? I picked one up at a thrift store, but there are two vertical bands that don't display anything. Other than that it seems to work fine.

Rich!

Does anyone know how to replace an original game boy screen? I picked one up at a thrift store, but there are two vertical bands that don't display anything. Other than that it seems to work fine.

Check the contacts. Usually it's due to the ribbon cable being a bit loose. If not, just gut another one for a screen.

Wow nice! I'd love to hear your impressions of the screen and build quality when you have a chance.

The Build quality is real nice. You do get a paint smell for a bit but it goes away after a while. This in on the Dingy i posted earlier.

The screen is nice and bright.

You may notice a tad blurriness at times but this has do with the fact that the GBA was not meant to be lit.

The explanation i got from RCG was that the GBA uses a 60hz LCDwhere as the replacement SP LCD uses a 50hz.

All in all it looks really good. The tradeoffs are nominal.

I highly recommend it.

^^^ We're working on building a stock-pile of shells painted LONG before we build the consoles so that all the paint has COMPLETELY gassed off before the product reaches the customer. I know it's not exactly pleasant to receive something that smells of harsh chemicals :/

But yea, Wiggy (the guy who runs rosecoloredgaming) has a stick up his ass most of the time. He's surrounded by people who do nothing but praise him on multiple forums, and when people have legitimate problems with him, he attacks the customer. He also frequently censors comments on his own site, because god forbid someone say anything bad about his $400+ (I forget the price) Zelda repro set.

What am I supposed to do with this quote?

I just want to mention that I bought a GBA from Rose Colored and returned it a few days later for repairs. I still want it but honestly, what they sent me was shocking condition wise.

I hope they send me a decent one back, but my next one will be from a small seller on ebay who takes his/her time. I'm sure Rose Colored did great work when they were a smaller operation, but mine was slapped together with a motherboard that was clearly on its last legs, put together improperly and sent off without even testing the thing.

I don't know what I can address here, as there really aren't any specific problems listed. We test everything that goes out, multiple times. Always have.

So I ordered a modded GBC from them and couldn't be more disappointed in the quality of the system. The screen is hazy, with large bands across the screen that move as you tilt the system. Also, my system arrived defective with non functional B and A buttons.

The banding in inherent to the mod. It is not a defect. The A/B button issue was very real. We refunded him for his purchase and paid his return shipping. It was repaired and re-sold without issue. Sometimes things happen in transit. Even brand new products are occasionally defective right out of the box. These are 10+ year old consoles which have been significantly modified. It's gonna happen. But we make sure to correct the problem, whether it means repair, replacement, or refund.

I'm actually upset at the guy for another reason: his terrible customer service. I had multiple long communication gaps during the course of our transaction. He told me the actual work would take quite awhile before I started and I was okay with that, but he was terribly slow in responding to emails. He told me that he would notify me when the systems arrived at his house and I didn't hear from him until 18 days (and a few emails sent to him) after the tracking number showed it had arrived. Then, when he finally told we the work was done he stated his final price, saying that if I would just confirm it he would send an invoice "ASAP" so that I could pay. I responded to that message within 20 minutes of receiving it. I confirmed the price and requested an invoice and the above photo. I didn't get the invoice for three days, and I again paid as soon as I got it (this previous Monday). I tell him that I want it shipped the next day because he charged me 15 dollars for shipping (from Columbus to Denver; I sent the systems to his house for half that). He responded that he did not ship every day and that he would do it "in the next few days". I have not heard from him since but I did get an email from Paypal saying that "the item had shipped" with a tracking number. However, the tracking number still comes up "electronic shipping info received" meaning he still has not actually put the damned box in the mail.

There is more at the thread that doesn't make you guys come across in a good light, but I'm not going to post the entire back and forth.

If the pictures there that famicommander posted of his Color and Micro plate are legit and from you guys as he claimed, that shit is pretty fucked up looking. And the response of "nah, shit was fine. Just wipe it off" isn't very convincing, especially when there is a second user there claiming their micro plate arrived fucked as well.

What do you want me to say about this that hasn't already been said? If you want to believe all of his claims, then so be it. It's still his word against mine, so you've just got to pick a side :/

maxcriden

muh man.

Is this your first time playing the original M&L?

Personally it's in my top ten.

I played a good chunk of it--maybe half or so? back when it came out. It's a great game but I got stuck and then kind of forgot about it. I loved Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team though so I'm eager to play through it. I've got Partners in Time to play after, I only played the intro of that one a while back.

Top Bottom