• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

TreIII

We did?! Well, my now no-longer-with-us web manager would have sent that response, though I have NO idea why :(

Yep. This is an exact quote from the email in question:

Rose Colored Gaming service@rosecoloredgaming.com
Mar 7

Hi [RL name withheld],

We appreciate your interest! Fortunately the Grow Up and Get a Life models should be available for pre-order within the next 2 weeks so I would advise you to hold-off if you are more interested in those models. Be sure to stay up-to-date with our site and social networks as we update those daily with pre-orders and new releases!

Thanks again!

A-Dizzle
Web Manager
Rose Colored Gaming
www.rosecoloredgaming.com

If those models truly have been retired, I'll understand. But between the Instagram posting saying that you guys were looking into a process to make them easier to construct and this, I got my hopes up... :(

Peagles

How can I test the 001 and 101 side by side to see what the 101 screen problem is?

I've got them both running Warioware Twisted side by side.

Alright, on the title screen there are orange circles moving outwards constantly, they leave a trail on the 101 but not on the 001.

Artorias

Banned
So I just got my GBA back from Rosecolored. I returned it the day I received it 2 and a half months ago because the power light was flickering, the left "bumper" was loose and creaking and it had a chip in the lens.

They literally fixed the lens and sent it back. I'm dead serious. They didn't touch anything else. I should have just asked for a refund from these fucking scumbags. What a waste of time.

baphomet

Alright, so I figured out the best way to capture GBC and GBA video. I modded my GBA for RGB scart and I'm running it through an XRGB Mini. I'm not completely finished as I need to put some resistors on the lines as the picture is a bit too bright. Other than that It looks so much better than the Gameboy Player, like not even in the same ballpark.

3Y24z2h.png

Ha14gXl.png

jRYBWWp.png

Just the first thing i tested. Keep in mind the colors are a bit off as they're designed to be played on the GBA screen. I'll have to mess with that later to get them correct.

PixelPeZ

Alright, so I figured out the best way to capture GBC and GBA video. I modded my GBA for RGB scart and I'm running it through an XRGB Mini. I'm not completely finished as I need to put some resistors on the lines as the picture is a bit too bright. Other than that It looks so much better than the Gameboy Player, like not even in the same ballpark.

Wow! That's really great! I just ordered and recieved this thing for capturing. I know that the GBA player for the GameCube would be the safest bet, but I really don't want to get another console and deal with finding the component cables, etc.
So, this thing was cheap and seemed cool enough:

retro_adapter_01.jpg

It actually uses the SNES hardware in a creative way - it has it's own video out (and link cable out), and uses SNES for power and controls. The 3,5mm video jack looks quite good on a screen, way more vibrant than the regular SNES composite.You can't really configure anything though, and only play GBA stuff, no GB or GBC.

retro_adapter_02.jpg

Also, it fits every SNES model, and looks pretty cool.

retro_adapter_03.jpg

But I have some problems with my model - it doesn't boot up properly every time, I have to remove and reinsert and add pressure to the left side to get it working at times, I don't know if it's the port that hooks up to the SNES or the GBA cart, but it seems that the GBA port is a bit jacked. The other is that my cheap capture dongle ads horrible amount of interlace garbage. I have to do some tests to see if I can change some settings or get S-VIDEO out or something.

starfy_snap.png

Overall, it's a neat device for the price, likely a very good little starter for a mod project of some sorts, but sadly I think it won't allow me to capture the way I wanted to. Perhaps the Retron5 with HDMI out will be better?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I've been searching for a good way to play GBA games on a TV and have yet to come up with anything.

The Super Gameboy is remarkably great as it outputs proper 240p over RGB.

That solution above is limited by composite video, unfortunately.

The Gameboy Player is also a piece of garbage. Why? No 240p output (scaling in 480p and 480i sucks in this case) and a near constant stuttering as a result of a slightly different frame-rate (which could be corrected). As a result, it just looks and feels horrible compared to the Super Gameboy.

Also curious about those re-pro Gameboy Advance systems. Seems like the Rose Colored systems aren't worth the case. Any other recommendations?

Just the first thing i tested. Keep in mind the colors are a bit off as they're designed to be played on the GBA screen. I'll have to mess with that later to get them correct.

cool mod, I wonder why I've never seen consolized GBAs the way I see consolized Game Gears.
any way to force proper 2:3 aspect ratio?

So I just got my GBA back from Rosecolored. I returned it the day I received it 2 and a half months ago because the power light was flickering, the left "bumper" was loose and creaking and it had a chip in the lens.

They literally fixed the lens and sent it back. I'm dead serious. They didn't touch anything else. I should have just asked for a refund from these fucking scumbags. What a waste of time.

Sounds like they have great customer service.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wow! That's really great! I just ordered and recieved this thing for capturing. I know that the GBA player for the GameCube would be the safest bet, but I really don't want to get another console and deal with finding the component cables, etc.

It actually uses the SNES hardware in a creative way - it has it's own video out (and link cable out), and uses SNES for power and controls. The 3,5mm video jack looks quite good on a screen, way more vibrant than the regular SNES composite.You can't really configure anything though, and only play GBA stuff, no GB or GBC.
Also, it fits every SNES model, and looks pretty cool.

retro_adapter_03.jpg

But I have some problems with my model - it doesn't boot up properly every time, I have to remove and reinsert and add pressure to the left side to get it working at times, I don't know if it's the port that hooks up to the SNES or the GBA cart, but it seems that the GBA port is a bit jacked. The other is that my cheap capture dongle ads horrible amount of interlace garbage. I have to do some tests to see if I can change some settings or get S-VIDEO out or something.

Overall, it's a neat device for the price, likely a very good little starter for a mod project of some sorts, but sadly I think it won't allow me to capture the way I wanted to. Perhaps the Retron5 with HDMI out will be better?

Thanks for the impressions. I should get one to go along with the Super Game Boy :p

Rich!

Man, im so incredibly excited for this, hopefully the price is sub-$100

Also just realized he also has one for Nintendo 64 and SNES, im so excited right now, need to see what I can sell to buy these.

I have the Mega Everdrive, Everdrive 64 and Super Everdrive.

They are all amazing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Question - Do you know if the Super Retro Advance is exactly the same as the AD Adapter? The reason I ask is that the AD Adapter seems to be more readily available and cheaper to boot. This person went out of the way to do some fixes to the AD Adapter though - http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...und-fixes-for-the-Tototek-GBA-SNES-AD-Adapter

Not sure if the Super Retro Advance has similar issues or not.

Artorias

Banned
Sounds like they have great customer service.

Yea, I don't even know what to think. Not only was I specific in what the issues were, the guy basically repeated them back to me to make sure he was understanding.

Now to wait another 2 weeks for a response. I've even offered to take a different one rather than a refund but we are cutting it close to my paypal dispute cutoff, which I imagine is how I'll have to be refunded.

I just can't fucking believe after over 2 months I'm still just trying to get what I paid for while they've announced several new products they are working on. I was correct in my initial assumption, any problem you have with your Rosecolored GBA is on you. Do NOT ask them to fix it, just return it and order another if you must.

Peagles

Yea, I don't even know what to think. Not only was I specific in what the issues were, the guy basically repeated them back to me to make sure he was understanding.

Now to wait another 2 weeks for a response. I've even offered to take a different one rather than a refund but we are cutting it close to my paypal dispute cutoff, which I imagine is how I'll have to be refunded.

I just can't fucking believe after over 2 months I'm still just trying to get what I paid for while they've announced several new products they are working on. I was correct in my initial assumption, any problem you have with your Rosecolored GBA is on you. Do NOT ask them to fix it, just return it and order another if you must.

I just can't believe that one of their staff members came into this thread and asked what issues people were having, and haven't helped you out. That's totally weak.

Ditto. Given the warnings and the long lead times we've seen mentioned in this thread. I think we should warm anyone posting here that's considering a purchase. I know I was, but I'm based in the UK and there's now no way I'm gonna get one shipped all the way here when there's a likely chance there will be one or more defects.

Peagles

That just seemed like damage control to me.

The only response I can find about this case is the following:

I don't know what I can address here, as there really aren't any specific problems listed. We test everything that goes out, multiple times. Always have.

So are they calling Artorias a liar, or what? If there's damage here, they're not controlling it.

womp

I know it's kept me from purchasing from them =/

I ordered my backlit glass screen OG GBA from eBay for almost half the average rate of one over on RCG ($87 shipped) and not only did I get it a mere three days later but the seller was pleasant and informative to talk to after the fact. The kit used was the same source RCG uses and the thing is flawless too.

If anything it compels me to simply make my own in the future as the process seems fairly easy to do and the kits can be had for less than $50.

Competition is good...

While I'm sure RCG does good work overall, the complaints are just too hard to handle unfortunately for the kind of money they are charging.

Grief.exe

I ordered my backlit glass screen OG GBA from eBay for almost half the average rate of one over on RCG ($87 shipped) and not only did I get it a mere three days later but the seller was pleasant and informative to talk to after the fact. The kit used was the same source RCG uses and the thing is flawless too.

If anything it compels me to simply make my own in the future as the process seems fairly easy to do and the kits can be had for less than $50.

Competition is good...

While I'm sure RCG does good work overall, the complaints are just too hard to handle unfortunately for the kind of money they are charging.

No dust under the screen either? Maybe I should just get that instead of a GBC.

womp

No dust under the screen either? Maybe I should just get that instead of a GBC.

First off...I am super OCD with these things. It took me two days to find two small specks. The kicker is that I only see them when powered down, under a bright light and looking for them.

Trust me, when I it isn't even an issue...

To put it in perspective, my 3DS XL came with what looked like packing foam under the screen out of the box. :|

I was all set to get a modded GBC until I saw the mess of dust just in photos online from sellers on eBay and elsewhere. If I had them in person I don't even want to imagine what my brain would have done as those pics were already making me twitch.

Outside of the above the system is otherwise flawless in terms of fit and finish and everything working properly as far as I can tell. I love the thing to pieces and playing GBGBC on it is a dream, especially in this form factor. I still am not a fan of the black and gray palette found on the GBA systems for GB games though...everything is way too dark IMO and I tend to stick with the B and Up brown palette. No fault on this however, just GBA in general.

I will try to snap some pics tomorrow.

Artorias

Banned
The only response I can find about this case is the following:

So are they calling Artorias a liar, or what? If there's damage here, they're not controlling it.

I actually didn't notice somebody from RGC responded. I don't know, I don't feel like I've been difficult with them at all. I'm annoyed at this point, but I've been nothing but patient and polite in emails. I've had 5 OG GBAs and I've never had either of the major issues here.

The bumper constantly shifts and creaks when you're handling it, and the power light flickers between red and green. There is also no click to the shoulder buttons, which might be intentional, I have no idea as they've barely said anything in the email exchanges.

Anyway, I'm over trying to swap this at this point as I think they've been pretty dishonest. I'm just going to get a refund and buy one from a more reliable seller. I know I just got "unlucky" and many people get a nice one from them, but the wait in between responses is ridiculous and I still have no idea why they took 2 months with my GBA and fixed nothing but the lens. I'm sure they are busy, but I paid them already...after this long I don't think I'm being impatient, I think they are hoping I'll just give up.

Mzo

Competition is good...

Who was the seller? I'd like to see if they'd do more.

plc268

cool mod, I wonder why I've never seen consolized GBAs the way I see consolized Game Gears.
any way to force proper 2:3 aspect ratio?

There were/are whispers of viletim looking into creating a solution to get video out for the gba.

Yea, there's a solution that already exists, but it's still not ideal.

In case anyone's wondering, viletim is the guy who did the NESRGB and the Gamegear TV out boards.

The power light flickers from green to red? If so, then that's fairly normal behavior. I've done several of the mods myself, and about half of them exhibited that. I know if I put a little pressure on the power switch (but not actually enough to turn it off), it'll switch to red. If I switch to alkaline batteries, the issue goes away completely. 2 Alkalines are 3 Volts versus 2 nimh batteries which are 2.4V.

The bumper constantly shifts and creaks when you're handling it, and the power light flickers between red and green. There is also no click to the shoulder buttons, which might be intentional, I have no idea as they've barely said anything in the email exchanges.

Also, mushy shoulder buttons basically means you need new tact switches for your shoulder buttons. Nintendo is notorious for using crappy switches, and that's likely the problem. Most of the time, they've accumulated gunk and whatnot, and makes them mushy, and eventually unresponsive.

baphomet

There were/are whispers of viletim looking into creating a solution to get video out for the gba.

Yea, there's a solution that already exists, but it's still not ideal.

In case anyone's wondering, viletim is the guy who did the NESRGB and the Gamegear TV out boards.

If anyone can do it, it would be Tim.

womp

Who was the seller? I'd like to see if they'd do more.

Here is a link to now ended auction...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191099008881

He seems to put a couple up at a time in black and yellow.

At some point in the next few months I am going to snag one of the kits and mod the mint and barely used platinum GBA I got for my wife over almost 10 years ago. Love the color and I think she played it twice because the DS came out not much later.

Is $16 a good price for a Gameboy Pocket with no working speaker? Should I try to hassle the person down to $10?

Personally? They are are so common and cheap already that I would pass and put the money towards a working one. But for me even $10 would be too much. That would drive me crazy.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Most recent acquisitions.

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Crystal
Hello KittyCube Frenzy
Altered Space

GBA Video Pokemon vol1-4

Millipede, Super Breakout, Lunar Lander
F1-2002
Sim City 2000
The Tower

Sudoku Fever
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk Underground

Kurkuru Kururin
Pokemon LeafGreen
Pokemon Emerald

Anth0ny

I think Wario Land 3 is my favorite non-Pokemon GB/C game. I 100%'d that game without a guide as a kid... took fucking forever but it was worth it.

Aria is my favorite Castlevania game either, $20 seems like a fair price as well.

I don't remember any of the GBA or DS games. I know I played them all on release, but it's been so long. I was really tempted by that Aria, but the place usually has higher than eBay prices, so even when I see something good there I tend to pass it up 'cause I don't want to support the place. I have so much other shit to play right now that I'm in no hurry for Aria, so I can wait for one of the cheaper places to get it in. I bet when they get it it will be marked at $15 max, probably cheaper. The joys of living in the rare area that has tons of options that are below online prices.

Artorias

Banned
A different person from RCG responded this time and said its fine to just return it. I'm happy to be done with this. I probably overreacted on here calling them scumbags but it was a bit infuriating to receive that GBA in the same condition I sent it off in.

The new person said its just the way things go when using used parts which is pretty understandable, but miles away from "Yes, we can fix these issues if you send it back". They did not offer to swap it like I mentioned but I had changed my mind on that anyway so it's no big deal. I'm sure it would have taken months to complete the trade.

So back to ebay I guess. I'm fully aware that the majority of the consoles on Ebay will have issues as well, but as long as its put together properly I think I'll be fine. I've seen a few that look really well done. Maybe I'm just naive but I thought it was a given that the massive premium on RCG was due to the quality of the products and the care put into restoring them. I'm sure they do test them, but apparently my issues aren't considered issues by them.

Grief.exe

I don't remember any of the GBA or DS games. I know I played them all on release, but it's been so long. I was really tempted by that Aria, but the place usually has higher than eBay prices, so even when I see something good there I tend to pass it up 'cause I don't want to support the place. I have so much other shit to play right now that I'm in no hurry for Aria, so I can wait for one of the cheaper places to get it in. I bet when they get it it will be marked at $15 max, probably cheaper. The joys of living in the rare area that has tons of options that are below online prices.

Higher than ebay prices? They are pricing themselves way out of the market.

cafemomo

For those living in the burbs of Chicago, I found this neat little store that sells import GB/GBA games. It's a place simply called GAMES and it's right across the street from Disc Replay.

It's in Hoffman Estates

As someone who loves the first Wario Land, I felt the same way when I played WL2.

Yeah, Wario Lands 2 and 3 are good games, and I like that they tried something different, but they just aren't quite as great as WL:SML3 and VBWL are; I definitely prefer the more traditional platformer style of the first two games. WL4 (GBA) is different again, but it's too short and might be my least favorite WL platformer. Still a good game though. WL: Shake It for the Wii is great though, well worth playing! But it really is too bad that the series never has entirely gone back to the style of the first two games; they're really, really great classic platformers, some of the best ever.

Top Bottom