• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

cafemomo

Was diggin through storage and I found my boxed copy of Tactics

9UiWfsQ.jpg

I dunno what I did to this back then, but the manuals seem to be stuck :>
bTf2dRg.jpg

Jamix012

Hey guys, for a couple of months I've been wrestling with the idea of getting a super gameboy, despite owning the Gameboy player. So tell me, what are some of the best super gameboy enhanced games? I know of MegaMan V and Donkey Kong '94, but is there anything else I'm missing?

Rich!

WHHAAAAAT. That's amazing. According to the video description no other game used this? What a shame. Understandable though, because I assume they had to program 2 seperate games onto a tiny gameboy cartridge for this to work. (The OG gameboy version and the SNES version)

Well yeah, I can't think of another game like it. It's literally the SNES version of space invaders hidden on the cart!

The closest is Galaga/Galaxian which I own a copy of. It looks superb, and on two player mode it enables the use of a second SNES pad:

428580-arcade-classic-3-galaga-galaxian-game-boy-screenshot-game.png

Another such example is Wario Blast which supports up to four players via a SNES multitap

I know some of the SNK fighting games on Game Boy allow 2P versus on a single cartridge via Game Boy player and both controller ports on SNES.

Rich!

What exactly is an Everdrive? I've heard the name before but I'm not entirely sure what it is, other than that it's an emulator.

the whole point of it is that it's not an emulator

it's real hardware. Shove all your game roms on there, and you're playing them as if you had the real cart.

Has anyone had a good experience buying an original Game Boy on eBay? I ordered one that looked nice and wasn't happy at all with what I got. I'm going through the return process now, but even though it was a single experience, I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for repeated disappointment by trying to buy something so old and expecting to be satisfied with the quality.

Rich!

Has anyone had a good experience buying an original Game Boy on eBay? I ordered one that looked nice and wasn't happy at all with what I got. I'm going through the return process now, but even though it was a single experience, I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for repeated disappointment by trying to buy something so old and expecting to be satisfied with the quality.

Technically you can replace that "original game boy" with literally any other item description and it would still be the same.

Look for items with the clearest images. Ask for more, if you need to. Consider buying more than one item and swapping parts, if need be.

ebay is always a risk, no matter what the item

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Bought 2 which were decent quality. Large pics of the actual unit helps, along with a good description and positive feedback. Then again I bought them with the plan to replace the body shell and screen cover anyway, so I wasn't too concerned about its condition.

At least the seller has to make clear that there are no dead screen columns; saves you some soldering.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My Everdrive-N8 took 3 weeks to arrive from RetroGate. My worry this time is things like this: "Russia's buildup near Ukraine may reach 40,000 troops: U.S. sources "
(Krikzz/RetroGate is in Ukraine)

IrishNinja

does anyone know the exact dimensions to print DS (and GBA in DS case) covers? ive read 8x14", 7.5x10.8" and other variants - i'm looking to use GIMP to resize a ton of images to print out better at kinko's, just wanted to know which values to input to make the replacements look identical to retail - did this for my Genesis collection and it looks way better!

Rich!

That claims to be compatible with all systems that play GB and GBC games, but if you get it with that shell pictured I can't see how that could be true -- where's the notch to be able to turn it on with an original GB?

it's an everdrive. as standard it's just a PCB shipped to you, not in a case.

use your own shell. use a donor cart of either the original grey format or the GBC format.

IrishNinja

hey while im asking random questions: i watched a tutorial of sorts on how to gut a DS case & make GB carts fit, i didn't quite manage that so the few i have are bulging out of their cases...is there a more elegant way of doing such? i like the DS sized cases for my shelf.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hey while im asking random questions: i watched a tutorial of sorts on how to gut a DS case & make GB carts fit, i didn't quite manage that so the few i have are bulging out of their cases...is there a more elegant way of doing such? i like the DS sized cases for my shelf.

I don't think there's any elegant way of making those fit. The only method I've seen is to cut out part of the DS holder, cut out part of the GBA tabs, and then stick them in the GBA slot upside down. It looks kind of janky.

Personally I'm gonna wait until StoneAgeGamer gets his GB BitBoxes engineered and ready.

IrishNinja

^i'd heard about those, i guess i'll wait too!

just got my EZ flash IV - does anyone know how to set this thing up for GC GBA player use? i keep seeing tutorials on flashing the kernel through a GBA (which isn't currently working anyway), i just need to know the file structure so i can dump ROM's and boot em, not hijack the GBA OS the way i did with the EZ III, right? such a mission.

Rich!

^i'd heard about those, i guess i'll wait too!

just got my EZ flash IV - does anyone know how to set this thing up for GC GBA player use? i keep seeing tutorials on flashing the kernel through a GBA (which isn't currently working anyway), i just need to know the file structure so i can dump ROM's and boot em, not hijack the GBA OS the way i did with the EZ III, right? such a mission.

I just put the ROMs on the card. Optionally I flash some games to EEPROM for faster loading.

What is your issue?

I hope you're both using the EZ Flash IV client software and not just dragging roms onto the Mini SD card.

The EZ Flash IV does not have the capability to create it's own files. As such, if you drag and drop ROMS onto the card as is, they will not be able to save. The GBA uses varying save types (SRAM, EEPROM, etc), so you can't just take one *.SAV file and rename it as you go either. You need to put the roms onto the Mini SD using the EZ Flash IV client linked above, which generates the correct save files for each game.

If you both know that, then awesome. As for the GB Player, you don't need to do anything extra for it. It'll work on all GBA devices as-is.

Lynd7

Damn, just yesterday I was checking in every now and then. I didn't really check much today though :(

I suppose I'll keep an eye on Stone Age Gamer or something.

IrishNinja

I hope you're both using the EZ Flash IV client software and not just dragging roms onto the Mini SD card.

The EZ Flash IV does not have the capability to create it's own files. As such, if you drag and drop ROMS onto the card as is, they will not be able to save. The GBA uses varying save types (SRAM, EEPROM, etc), so you can't just take one *.SAV file and rename it as you go either. You need to put the roms onto the Mini SD using the EZ Flash IV client linked above, which generates the correct save files for each game.

If you both know that, then awesome. As for the GB Player, you don't need to do anything extra for it. It'll work on all GBA devices as-is.

ah okay, i was trying said software last night but it was kinda wonky for me - ill try that one & see if i have better luck

Rich!

ah okay, i was trying said software last night but it was kinda wonky for me - ill try that one & see if i have better luck

haha yeah it's terrible software. Pity, as the cart itself is awesome.

GBA Everdrive will likely turn up at some point anyhow, which will be great

baphomet

Yea, the software is hands down the worst part about that card. That and I updated something and now my background is star wars, and I'm too lazy to look up how to change it.

Seik

Banned
I've been in this thread a lot of times since it launched, saying I'd post photos of my collection, yet each time, it was bullshit.

Now I had some time to waste, because I bought a massive amount of protector boxes and needed to get them out, so I took the damn pics! :D

(That's only my complete games though, I have something like 15 OG GB games loose too, but all my GBA collection is complete.)

FBrB21O.jpg

Fd6O2QW.jpg

it's an everdrive. as standard it's just a PCB shipped to you, not in a case.

use your own shell. use a donor cart of either the original grey format or the GBC format.

The site says they'll sell you shells with it for $15, though. For such a ludicrously overpriced amount, it should be a shell you can actually use on any system!

Top Bottom