• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Haibane

That's gonna be difficult. A renowned GB coder (I forget his name) is currently reverse-engineering it though iirc.

Naw, the Japanese FMGBx software, by Mootan, supports the Nintendo Power carts. I got it working, but I couldn't get it to write anything but the smallest games.

Rich!

okay, so i uploaded ezfla_up.bin to my fat32 formatted 8GB card, it ins a micro to mini adapter or whatever this thing came with, right? take it outta the PC, plug it back into the EZ flash IV, boot up my GBA holding R, and...nothin'. got a black screen on mine & my friend's system as well, any ideas?

8GB is too much. It does not support SDHC. That's your issue.

You need a 2GB Mini SD card. They're bloody hard to find, but a 2GB Micro SD should do the job if you have that adapter. Anything above 2GB will not be recognized by the flashcart.

IrishNinja

fuck it then, ordered! the adapter seems jammed into the side of the flashcart now so i might have to open it & get that out before it gets here, but whatever. just can't wait for some classic GBA goodness, upscaled & with an SNES pad!

cafemomo

practical as fug

tzYJbLS.jpg

FSLink

Banned
fuck it then, ordered! the adapter seems jammed into the side of the flashcart now so i might have to open it & get that out before it gets here, but whatever. just can't wait for some classic GBA goodness, upscaled & with an SNES pad!
My adapter is stuck in mine as well but I can usually get my 2GB out of the mini SD adapter with my fingernail.

plc268

What does rtc mean?

So using the shell he is selling will only work on game boy color right?

It should work on a normal GB. The reason why I say that, is that the shell mold looks identical to the carts I picked up off of Kitsch-bent a while back in anticipation of the everdrive gb. The carts, while they look like standard gbc carts from the front, have the appropriate notch cut out in the back.

With the DS cases you can get from the official Nintendo store no longer featuring GBA slots, what are you guys using to shelf your collections?

I'm wondering if there is an alternative case or something I should be looking at.

Real time clock.

And yeah, but why would you buy it with a shell at that price? Just get a copy of tetris for like a few pence and use that case.

How hard would it be to fit the ever drive pcb by myself, I don't have a ton of experience with stuff like that.

Just replace the PCB and screw the cart back together?

Rich!

How hard would it be to fit the ever drive pcb by myself, I don't have a ton of experience with stuff like that.

Just replace the PCB and screw the cart back together?

1. unscrew cart (you'll need a gamebit screwdriver, dirt cheap on ebay)
2. take pcb out
3. put everdrive pcb in
4. screw it all in

imagine the cart case as bread and the PCB as a filling. you're literally slapping it in. there's nothing to it.

Additional stages would be to clean the cart and remove the label if you want it blank or use your own, and to use a file to make a slot for an SD card.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
With the DS cases you can get from the official Nintendo store no longer featuring GBA slots, what are you guys using to shelf your collections?

I'm wondering if there is an alternative case or something I should be looking at.

I bought about 24 DS cases with GBA slots for around $10. If you go to a local Gamestop and ask permission to dive through their dumpsters, you might be able to find some cases with the slots. For GB/GBC games, I just use 3DS cases. If the game has a manual, it usually stays in place when it's positioned above the 3DS cartridge slot; if it doesn't, I just put some bubble wrap underneath the cartridge and that usually works. I just have to be really careful opening the cases.

Thought I'd cross post these pics from my full handheld collection I just threw up in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559062

shelf four - the Game Boy shelf... You can see most of the Play It Loud colors of the original GB along the left and there are a couple GB Pockets (one MiB), a Game Boy Light with all original packaging, and a couple Game Boy Colors... There are also a pair of Pokemon Mini systems - these things are the smallest cartridge-based handhelds I've ever seen, and are really very cool.

9GJ9ZEH.jpg

the sixth shelf has a few Nintendo Game & Watch systems along with some Game Boy Advance stuff...

hvSXuhR.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
While looking for a potential cartridge shell to use for the GB Everdrive, I thought I'd research all the various GB/GBC cartridge shell variations that are out there.

gb_cart_grey.jpg

The majority of Game Boy games come in your good ole familiar grey cartridge.

gb_cart_blue.jpg
gb_cart_red.jpg
gb_cart_yellow.jpg
gb_cart_gold.jpg
gb_cart_purple.jpg
gb_cart_silver.jpg
gb_cart_crystal.jpg

Color variations commonly found with the Pokemon games. Gold/Silver/Crystal are glittery, presumably to make it harder for pirates to copy them. Not sure what's up with the purple cart for the Japanese Pokemon Gold. Yellow carts can also be found on the Donkey Kong Land games and a Tamagotchi game.

gb_cart_pink.jpg
gb_cart_white.jpg

Other Tamagotchi color variants. The Nintendo Power official flash cart also comes in white.

gb_cart_black.jpg
gb_cart_trans_black.jpg

Black carts are GBC games which are compatible with original GB machines, while the translucent black carts are GBC-only.

gb_cart_trans_pink.jpg

Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble comes in glorious trans-pink and includes an accelerometer!

gb_cart_camera.jpg

The vastly overproduced Pocket Camera!

gb_cart_rumble.jpg
gb_cart_rumble_2.jpg

Rumble carts as seen in Pokemon Pinball and Ready to Rumble. Takes one AAA battery.

gb_cart_ir.jpg

Robopon includes an Infrared panel. More Info here.

gb_cart_rtc.jpg

Tamagotchi V3 Osuchi & Metsuchi includes a real-time-clock and takes a watch battery.

gb_cart_sonar.jpg

GB Pocket Sonar - Now this one's probably the wackiest game boy application ever. Weirdly-shaped cart attached to an actual sonar device to help you catch real fish! More info here.

gb_cart_action_replay.jpg

gb_cart_blaze_xploder.jpg
gb_cart_game_genie.jpg
gb_cart_pelican_codebreaker.jpg

Many different cheat carts! I do like the Game Genie looks, although it's a huge mofo.

gb_cart_pirate.jpg

Oversized pirate multi-carts. Regular-sized pirate carts also come in wacky colors.

gb_cart_rocket.jpg

Rocket Games' unlicensed games include a unique cart shell. Reminds me of the EA Megadrive/Genesis games.

gb_cart_asm.jpg

gb_cart_bleepbloop.jpg

Aftermarket shells. First pic are I believe ASM Retro Game Paks. Second pic are translucent shells from Kitsch-Bent meant for Bleep Bloop flash cartridges (not sure).

Any other cartridge variants I'm missing?

Anyway, for the GB Everdrive I plan to either use a trans-blue Kitsch-Bent shell, or a white Tamagotchi one.

So what's the best way to store Gameboy/Color games in hard cases? I think the old box covers are probably going to be hard to find/expensive by now, so if there's something like the current DS boxes that would hold them, that'd be awesome. I know GBA you can get the old DS boxes, which I plan on doing, but as far as GBC goes I have no idea.

Grief.exe

I bought about 24 DS cases with GBA slots for around $10. If you go to a local Gamestop and ask permission to dive through their dumpsters, you might be able to find some cases with the slots. For GB/GBC games, I just use 3DS cases. If the game has a manual, it usually stays in place when it's positioned above the 3DS cartridge slot; if it doesn't, I just put some bubble wrap underneath the cartridge and that usually works. I just have to be really careful opening the cases.

So what's the best way to store Gameboy/Color games in hard cases? I think the old box covers are probably going to be hard to find/expensive by now, so if there's something like the current DS boxes that would hold them, that'd be awesome. I know GBA you can get the old DS boxes, which I plan on doing, but as far as GBC goes I have no idea.

You can actually buy the DS cases with the GBA slot and cut portions of the plastic to accommodate GB/GBC games.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=1643.0

Grief.exe

gb_cart_blue.jpg
gb_cart_red.jpg
gb_cart_yellow.jpg
gb_cart_gold.jpg
gb_cart_purple.jpg
gb_cart_silver.jpg
gb_cart_crystal.jpg

Color variations commonly found with the Pokemon games. Gold/Silver/Crystal are glittery, presumably to make it harder for pirates to copy them. Not sure what's up with the purple cart for the Japanese Pokemon Gold. Yellow carts can also be found on the Donkey Kong Land games and a Tamagotchi game.

Would be so cool to use one of the Pokemon carts as your everdrive shell, too bad that is extremely cost prohibitive.

That's actually pretty fantastic. Thank you! Looks ugly as hell on the inside but that's why we don't show the inside haha.

No kidding, but it works, its cheap, and easy.

Rich!

Very nice. I've had mine for a week or so and its great. Got it for like $18 shipped from Japan.

Mine was the same price. It's only a little bit more than a standard SGB, and it's worth it for the accurate speed alone.

Used to have one years ago, but had to sell it along with the rest of my SFC collection to pay bills. Wont be doing that again.

That's actually pretty fantastic. Thank you! Looks ugly as hell on the inside but that's why we don't show the inside haha.

To be fair, that guy did a pretty shit job. You could make it look pretty clean if you tried.

-KRS-

Mine was the same price. It's only a little bit more than a standard SGB, and it's worth it for the accurate speed alone.

I also got one for around the same price last month. Definitely worth it. For some reason I always thought they were expensive. They don't work so well on PAL SNESes though. I couldn't get any sound, which might be because the adapter I use don't pass along the expansion pins, although I thought it did... And there were heavy graphical glitches, no doubt because of running at 50hz instead of 60. I was still waiting for my SFC to ship when I got the SGB2, so that's why I tried it on the PAL SNES.

Speaking of PAL, I wonder what they did to the PAL Super Game Boy to make it work correctly in 50hz.

-KRS-

Hmm. So the CPU has been downclocked, like in a PAL NES? But then wouldn't the games run slower too? Maybe they do and I haven't noticed, but at least the music doesn't sound like it's slower.

Or do you mean they did something to slow it down in the software?

Rich!

Hmm. So the CPU has been downclocked, like in a PAL NES? But then wouldn't the games run slower too? Maybe they do and I haven't noticed, but at least the music doesn't sound like it's slower.

Or do you mean they did something to slow it down in the software?

When I had my previous SFC, it was modded with a 50/60hz switch. I had the same on my old PAL SNES too.

I had a PAL SGB1, and when set to 60hz, it ran at the correct speed. At native 50hz, it ran notably slower, with those massive borders. It's basically all hardware, not software.

Flicking the switch to 60hz let me play all my PAL SNES games at full speed with no borders.

plc268

gb_cart_asm.jpg

gb_cart_bleepbloop.jpg

Aftermarket shells. First pic are I believe ASM Retro Game Paks. Second pic are translucent shells from Kitsch-Bent meant for Bleep Bloop flash cartridges (not sure).

Any other cartridge variants I'm missing?

Anyway, for the GB Everdrive I plan to either use a trans-blue Kitsch-Bent shell, or a white Tamagotchi one.

Before I bought the kitsch bent orange and blue shells, I tried contacting asmretro to try and get some of their shell, but I never got a response back.

Peagles

Well my AGS-101 kits to upgrade my OG GBA systems just turned up. Just had a quick open up and they look amazing. The seller sent me the screens, ribbon cable adapters, new shells, new screen lenses including a plastic and a glass (!!!) one for each system, an appropriate screwdriver for each system, and a roll of adhesive tape to secure the guts of the mod.

I'm super impressed already, just waiting on the PDF instructions for the mod. Reckon I can get them done today. I'll update with some pics of the kits shortly...

Rich!

oh fuck!!!

if that image isn't clear enough, I've basically somehow bought the item twice! fuck!!

I've sent a message explaining and requesting him to cancel it, but still. goddamnit! Also, it turns out the item was a bit over $18, but ah well.

oh fuck!!!

if that image isn't clear enough, I've basically somehow bought the item twice! fuck!!

I've sent a message explaining and requesting him to cancel it, but still. goddamnit! Also, it turns out the item was a bit over $18, but ah well.

whats the difference between the 1 and the 2? just the link cable port? does the 2 play gbc?

Rich!

whats the difference between the 1 and the 2? just the link cable port? does the 2 play gbc?

Link cable port, LED (red and green depending on status), accurate timing that matches the speed of the Game Boy (the original SGB plays the games at the wrong speed), different borders, new credits music and an awesome looking cart design.

that's it

prateeko

Got a question for someone familiar with EZ Flash IV. I have one all set up and also original carts which I bought to replace stolen carts (pokemon, all the FF, etc). In the past I used some program when I briefly had an M3 Perfect Lite to back up the saves, which i still have.

Basically is there anyway to flash the saves back to the original carts? Not only would I like my OG saves back (I.e. Sapphire save with 130 hours) but it'd be great to be able to carry one cart with all my games and transfer em to the original carts (mostly so I can work on Pokemon games and then slowly transfer em to PokéBank).

Anyone know how to do this? Does something like Cart_save sound familiar or what I need (and will it work with EZ Flash IV)?

Gunsmithx

Now for the newest member of my GB family, my first GBA micro. Face plate is a little scratched but thats an easy fix. Been working great so far. I think I like this more then my SP but not quite as comfy as my og gba(which is still needed a backlight kit so it's retired till then.)

Rich!

Got a question for someone familiar with EZ Flash IV. I have one all set up and also original carts which I bought to replace stolen carts (pokemon, all the FF, etc). In the past I used some program when I briefly had an M3 Perfect Lite to back up the saves, which i still have.

Basically is there anyway to flash the saves back to the original carts? Not only would I like my OG saves back (I.e. Sapphire save with 130 hours) but it'd be great to be able to carry one cart with all my games and transfer em to the original carts (mostly so I can work on Pokemon games and then slowly transfer em to PokéBank).

Anyone know how to do this? Does something like Cart_save sound familiar or what I need (and will it work with EZ Flash IV)?

Yep, you can do it. There's a homebrew app for the DS that enables it, but the name of it escapes me. It may only rip the games and save files, but I swear you can do it the other way too.

womp

Replaced the battery in the $2.00 copy of Pokemon Crystal I got last year at a yard sale...

The replacement battery was $4.99 on Amazon and had tabs already attached. One of the tabs was a bit long and was a bitch to make fit in the cart shell while maintaining a good contact with the board but it was a success!

Todays pickups:

Never played any of them despite my love for Castlevania and Kirby. Now I need Advance Wars 1, as I've never played any of those games. Place usually has tons of stuff, last two times I have gone they've been pretty empty. Still pretty happy to find that Castlevania and Kirby.

Top Bottom