• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

womp

Todays pickups:

Never played any of them despite my love for Castlevania and Kirby. Now I need Advance Wars 1, as I've never played any of those games. Place usually has tons of stuff, last two times I have gone they've been pretty empty. Still pretty happy to find that Castlevania and Kirby.

Nice finds!

I actually have an extra copy of Advance Wars 1, LMK if by chance you have any GB/GBC/GBA games up for trade and maybe we could make a swap?

The GB Castlevania games were so disappointing to me when I was younger. I had excitedly gotten the original at release and after an hour was very upset. The game was so damn slooooowwww...it made it very difficult to play. I didn't bother with the subsequent sequels or a handheld Castlevania again until Circle of the Moon, which was still slow as dirt but a least a bit more playable. :p

Having played Belmont's Revenge years later, it wasn't much of an improvement either I'm sad to say.

Peagles

Okay here's my new kits:

The kits, complete with new shells, plastic and glass screen lenses, triwing screwdrivers (surprisingly good quality), and even screen protectors. I'll likely keep my original parts where possible but it's still very nice of the seller.
IMAG0438_zpsa19a0073.jpg

Notice the seller already trimmed the inside plastic before sending, what a good person!

And lastly that gorgeous little glass screen!

Just got my guide through too. There's literally nothing to do but put it together and solder one wire to increase the brightness. Can't complain about that!

plc268

Notice the seller already trimmed the inside plastic before sending, what a good person!

Sweet.

I've done the gba backlit mod about 15 times, and I always hate shaving down the plastic on the front shell. Hate it.

Where'd you get the kits from. You probably already mentioned it, and I missed it.

Peagles

Sweet.

I've done the gba backlit mod about 15 times, and I always hate shaving down the plastic on the front shell. Hate it.

Where'd you get the kits from. You probably already mentioned it, and I missed it.

Just off eBay. They're $50 a pop but I got three for $130 shipped to New Zealand. I've been hoarding old GBAs for awhile to mod so most are in need of new casings anyway and the cheapest I could source the cable was $10 but with $40 shipping to here (just for the cable!) so it was the best option for me. The seller was really helpful too. They've now sold nearly 300 and have about 15 left to sell, or so it would seem from their eBay listing.

plc268

Just off eBay. They're $50 a pop but I got three for $130 shipped to New Zealand. I've been hoarding old GBAs for awhile to mod so most are in need of new casings anyway and the cheapest I could source the cable was $10 but with $40 shipping to here (just for the cable!) so it was the best option for me. The seller was really helpful too. They've now sold nearly 300 and have about 15 left to sell, or so it would seem from their eBay listing.

Ah ok. I think I've had that ebay auction in my watch list for a while.

I'm in no rush to backlight any more gbas anytime soon, but including everything is nice touch. Hell, it looks like they even include a new speaker.

The_Afroman

Do you know the sellers name? I would love to buy the kit from them.

prateeko

Yep, you can do it. There's a homebrew app for the DS that enables it, but the name of it escapes me. It may only rip the games and save files, but I swear you can do it the other way too.

Yeah I have a DS Lite and figured there had to be something that utilized SLOT-2 to get it done but could not recall the name...

FSLink

Banned
Remembered the name for what you guys are talking about, GBA Backup Tool by Rudolph. Not sure how good it is for restoring saves onto retail carts, but it definitely works for backing up the cart and save itself.

Leonsito

Okay here's my new kits:

The kits, complete with new shells, plastic and glass screen lenses, triwing screwdrivers (surprisingly good quality), and even screen protectors. I'll likely keep my original parts where possible but it's still very nice of the seller.

Just got my guide through too. There's literally nothing to do but put it together and solder one wire to increase the brightness. Can't complain about that!

Wow, glass screen, trimmed shells and ags-101 screen for that price? I just ordered a couple of kits, thanks for linking the seller!

Gunsmithx

Does this mod require soldering? I think I might put an order in but not sure how hard it is to do with a kit like this.

-KRS-

When I had my previous SFC, it was modded with a 50/60hz switch. I had the same on my old PAL SNES too.

I had a PAL SGB1, and when set to 60hz, it ran at the correct speed. At native 50hz, it ran notably slower, with those massive borders. It's basically all hardware, not software.

Flicking the switch to 60hz let me play all my PAL SNES games at full speed with no borders.

Oh I see. Interesting. I'll have to try my PAL SGB on my SFC later.

Okay here's my new kits:

Please post pics when you are done!!! And also do tell us about battery life with that, also any way to control the brightness?

womp

Please post pics when you are done!!! And also do tell us about battery life with that, also any way to control the brightness?

Have had my GBA made with one of these exact kits for a week and a half now..same set of Duracell's still going strong! I am really impressed actually.

You have two options for brightness but I would strongly recommend the higher one unless you want to attempt putting in a switch, which IMO seems pointless to be honest.

Huggers

Just grabbed a Gold Triforce GBA SP from Ebay in beautiful condition. Had a silver one back in the day and spent hours on Advance Wars. What are some must haves for my collection?

Grief.exe

Just grabbed a Gold Triforce GBA SP from Ebay in beautiful condition. Had a silver one back in the day and spent hours on Advance Wars. What are some must haves for my collection?

The OP is a good place to start, many of the best games are listed there.

womp

Some not so obvious recommendations...

Medal of Honor Infiltrator, which goes under the radar a lot and is a great GBA title.

Pinball of the Dead

Bruce Lee

Konami Krazy Karts

Huggers

The OP is a good place to start, many of the best games are listed there.

Yeah I know. Just prefer some personal recommendations and explanations as to why

Some not so obvious recommendations...

Medal of Honor Infiltrator, which goes under the radar a lot and is a great GBA title.

Pinball of the Dead

Bruce Lee

Konami Krazy Karts

Cheers dude. Will check these out

womp

Yeah I know. Just prefer some personal recommendations and explanations as to why

Cheers dude. Will check these out

No problem. A couple of great European exclusives would be Kuru Kuru Kurin and Go! Go! Beckham Adventure on Soccer Island...two games that never unfortunately had a US release and are both great fun.

Wario Ware Twisted! should absolutely be at the top of your list as well. Incredible game.

Double Dragon is damn good too.

maxcriden

OP is legit, I'd mention Superstar Saga as a specific must. And Minish Cap, but you already know that!

Huggers

No problem. A couple of great European exclusives would be Kuru Kuru Kurin and Go! Go! Beckham Adventure on Soccer Island...two games that never unfortunately had a US release and are both great fun.

Wario Ware Twisted! should absolutely be at the top of your list as well. Incredible game.

Double Dragon is damn good too.

Awesome. I have a decent sum set aside for Gameboy games so am going to slowly chip away at it over the next few months when the main TV is being used.

OP is legit, I'd mention Superstar Saga as a specific must. And Minish Cap, but you already know that!

Haha, yep, already ordered

Slermy

Neat. I might pick up MMV digitally. Coming to think of it, the only Game Boy MM game I currently own is MMXtreme.

IV is worth it too. While it's still a mix of older bosses, it plays really well, and I THINK it's the only title which has recoil on a fully charged Mega Buster blast. Hilarious when you're jumping on blocks and let go a projectile, only to fling yourself in the opposite direction to your doom. Sounds annoying, but I thought it was really cool and made me think about what I was doing a little more.

LostAnkh

I'm getting my GBA micro soon, and want some suggestions on some games to get for it. These are some of the ones I'm looking to buy and consider.

Buy:

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Breath of Fire
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Pokemon Fire Red
Rave Master: Special Attack Force
Shaman King: Master of Spirits
Tales of Phantasia
Wario Land 4

Consider:

Boktai
Boktai 2
Breath of Fire 2
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Shaman King: Master of Spirits 2

John Blade

Just want to post here that I got the Gameboy in today from richisawesome. It's working fine and love the screen. Just need to clean the dirt on the camera and it will be awesome. Will post pics when I manage to have some time to try it out.

cafemomo

I'm getting my GBA micro soon, and want some suggestions on some games to get for it. These are some of the ones I'm looking to buy and consider.

def get M&L superstar saga.

Also consider
>FFVI
>FF Tactics Advance
>Pokemon Emerald
>Super Robot Taisen
>Riviera

Rich!

Just want to post here that I got the Gameboy in today from richisawesome. It's working fine and love the screen. Just need to clean the dirt on the camera and it will be awesome. Will post pics when I manage to have some time to try it out.

Awesome! Glad it got there OK. And yeah, the GB Camera isn't in the best condition, but hey - it was free.

Remember what I said about Lithium batteries! The ones I've sent with it should last a good while.

Grief.exe

Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar

Just to let you know, BBN2 and 3 are considered to be the best in the series.

I believe 4 and 5 is where the series falls off the wagon, only to be redeemed by 6. Not entirely sure on the hierarchy in the latter half.

There was a thread recently where we discussed this at length on GAF. I'll dig it up for you but I can't right now. EDIT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779165

maxcriden

LostAnkh I guess you have PMs off but if you want a cheap copy of Golden Sun, PM or email me (maxcriden at gmail). Happy to help you on your hunt.

LostAnkh

Just to let you know, BBN2 and 3 are considered to be the best in the series.

I believe 4 and 5 is where the series falls off the wagon, only to be redeemed by 6. Not entirely sure on the hierarchy in the latter half.

There was a thread recently where we discussed this at length on GAF. I'll dig it up for you but I can't right now.

Bro, I still have my original BN2 cart, which is my favorite BN.

I had 4 up for nostalgia, but looking at it now has reminded me of it's AWFUL battle theme and very BS enemies. I don't have the GBA ver of 5 on the list, because I plan on getting the DS ver, which is a lot better and I believe you could play as your team members outside of Liberation missions.

I barely played 3 and 6, so I might as well give it go now.

def get M&L superstar saga.

Also consider
>FFVI
>FF Tactics Advance
>Pokemon Emerald
>Super Robot Taisen
>Riviera
I have tried the demo for the recent entry in the M&L games, and they look like fun. With FFIV, we'll see...

Looking at of the other games and being that I like strategy games, I will definitely give FF TA and Super Robot Taisen a go. Rivera looks good too, and I do remember seeing the sprite art on a sprite community a long time ago.

cafemomo

I have tried the demo for the recent entry in the M&L games, and they look like fun.

imo, M&L SS is the best Mario RPG to date. (Even better than Mario RPG)

If you ever do get it, you are in for a treat. Combination of wonderful music, dialog, and setting wrapped into one game.

FSLink

Banned

If you ever do get it, you are in for a treat. Combination of wonderful music, dialog, and setting wrapped into one game.

Yeah. Well... I actually prefer Super Mario RPG but M&L is definitely the objectively "better" Mario RPG since Super Mario RPG is basically a lite FF with a Mario skin. :p M&L is fantastic.

prateeko

Remembered the name for what you guys are talking about, GBA Backup Tool by Rudolph. Not sure how good it is for restoring saves onto retail carts, but it definitely works for backing up the cart and save itself.

Thanks! I look into it and try it out later. I did remember a program called cart save I used on the M3 Perfect Lite but it was finicky. Hopefully I'll be able to carry one micro around when I'm out and then transfer back to the authentic copies when I come home....

maxcriden

I still need to play PIT and play through much of SS--it's been years--but I really loved Bowser's Inside Story...TTYD is awesome, too. I was actually really impressed with Dream Team as well, I thought that one got a bad rap.

Grief.exe

I still need to play PIT and play through much of SS--it's been years--but I really loved Bowser's Inside Story...TTYD is awesome, too. I was actually really impressed with Dream Team as well, I thought that one got a bad rap.

Apparently you can skip PIT entirely.

If you likes TTYD, then check out the original Paper Mario.

Top Bottom