• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Kainazzo

Got my 2000 Flushes GBA from Rose Colored. May change out the buttons with my original GBA's, but the shell and general construction is really good!

One thing though: the screen has interlacing, which neither my old unlit GBA nor my DS Lite have. Was this always a problem with GBA SPs?

plc268

Got my 2000 Flushes GBA from Rose Colored. May change out the buttons with my original GBA's, but the shell and general construction is really good!

One thing though: the screen has interlacing, which neither my old unlit GBA nor my DS Lite have. Was this always a problem with GBA SPs?

The interlacing means that they didn't properly tune the potentiometer that's on the back of the gba for the new screen. You can do this yourself without opening the gba. There's a hole under the sticker on the back, and you can take something long and thin (like a small screwdriver), put some pressure and turn.

Do this all the while looking at the screen. Turning it one direction (counterclockwise, i believe) should make the interlacing even worse, and turning it the other way you'll slowly see it go away.

It's easier to make the adjustments with the back shell off, but then you'd need to clip a battery pack on to the battery leads...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Also got confirmation that my GB and SNES Everdrives shipped. Last time it took 3 weeks to arrive (Ukraine->Netherlands).

maxcriden

Apparently you can skip PIT entirely.

If you likes TTYD, then check out the original Paper Mario.

Oh I've got all of 'em except TTYD, which I want to re-play so I want to re-buy it at some point. It's been a while since I've played PM but I enjoyed it quite a bit. :)

FSLink

Banned
The interlacing means that they didn't properly tune the potentiometer that's on the back of the gba for the new screen. You can do this yourself without opening the gba. There's a hole under the sticker on the back, and you can take something long and thin (like a small screwdriver), put some pressure and turn.

Do this all the while looking at the screen. Turning it one direction (counterclockwise, i believe) should make the interlacing even worse, and turning it the other way you'll slowly see it go away.

It's easier to make the adjustments with the back shell off, but then you'd need to clip a battery pack on to the battery leads...

Might have to do this to mine, I notice a little bit of interlacing so I'll try adjusting it a bit.

But yeah, just got mine yesterday:
10151366_10152150374112758_278710629_n.jpg

Was a bit wary due to the horror stories, but it arrived fine, and buttons and screen work great.

cafemomo

I still need to play PIT and play through much of SS--it's been years--but I really loved Bowser's Inside Story...TTYD is awesome, too. I was actually really impressed with Dream Team as well, I thought that one got a bad rap.

Dream Team was a good game, it just felt really handholdy

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Got a cheap GBA cart (Chicken Little) as a shell replacement for the EZ-Flash IV, only to realize that the screw on the EZ-Flash IV is not in the same location as a regular GBA cart. Guess I'll have to live with the EZ-Flash IV's jankyness.

FSLink

Banned
Got a cheap GBA cart (Chicken Little) as a shell replacement for the EZ-Flash IV, only to realize that the screw on the EZ-Flash IV is not in the same location as a regular GBA cart. Guess I'll have to live with the EZ-Flash IV's jankyness.

Darn, was thinking about doing something like this, so I guess I'm going to have to work harder to get it in a normal looking cart.

Awesome! Nice work! How was it soldering that one little point?

Soldering on to the ribbon cable is what scares me. I've had the kit sitting here for a couple weeks but haven't done mine yet 'cause I don't trust my soldering skills not to melt through the ribbon or something.

womp

Soldering on to the ribbon cable is what scares me. I've had the kit sitting here for a couple weeks but haven't done mine yet 'cause I don't trust my soldering skills not to melt through the ribbon or something.

That is interesting to hear because I have always assumed that wire arrives pre attached to that ribbon. In videos I have seen on YouTube, it certainly looked that way as well, especially from unboxing videos. Maybe it depends on the seller and their stock but at first that was something that made me weary as well.

Post pics with a couple games running.

I have been meaning to post pics of mine as well...just been busy with a move. I charged my camera and want to try to do some tonight. I want to do a couple side by side with my SP 101 too.

Is Breath of Fire better for GBA? I have it for both GBA and SNES and am trying to decide which to play it on. Thought I'd seen people say the translation sucks for the SNES version.

That is interesting to hear because I have always assumed that wire arrives pre attached to that ribbon. In videos I have seen on YouTube, it certainly looked that way as well, especially from unboxing videos. Maybe it depends on the seller and their stock but at first that was something that made me weary as well.

I got mine from the same eBay seller that Peagles did and it did not come attached. I have seen others that do. I wish it did, 'cause like I said, that's the part that scares me.

Is Breath of Fire better for GBA? I have it for both GBA and SNES and am trying to decide which to play it on. Thought I'd seen people say the translation sucks for the SNES version.

Audio on GBA is worse than the SNES original, and the color palette is a little too bright if you're playing on a lighted screen, but the game has been tuned to be a bit easier, which is fine by me. The translation is just as bad as the SNES one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I almost have a complete collection of Nintendo's handhelds and I just added a GB Micro to the mix. Found it for ~$20 at a local shop in great condition! Very tiny but slick!

ibal0dqMjyira5.JPG

Peagles

Awesome! Nice work! How was it soldering that one little point?

Soldering it to the ribbon cable was the easy bit, at least the solder sticks to the little contact rather easily. Getting it to stick to the motherboard point took two tries instead of one. I just made sure it was nice and hot then did some quick work. Wrapping wire is a must because the points are so damn small. I attached it to the brightest point, and it's some where between GBA SP+ brightness levels 1 and 2.

The thing I hate is getting fingerprints/dust on the screen. Will do that a little differently next time I think. Nothing too stand out though and you certainly can't see it while it's on.

Post pics with a couple games running.

Will do! I actually put in Metroid Fusion to adjust the potentiometer because it has some movement in the title sequence. Took a few adjustments but it's great now.

womp

Soldering it to the ribbon cable was the easy bit, at least the solder sticks to the little contact rather easily. Getting it to stick to the motherboard point took two tries instead of one. I just made sure it was nice and hot then did some quick work. Wrapping wire is a must because the points are so damn small. I attached it to the brightest point, and it's some where between GBA SP+ brightness levels 1 and 2.

The thing I hate is getting fingerprints/dust on the screen. Will do that a little differently next time I think. Nothing too stand out though and you certainly can't see it while it's on.

Will do! I actually put in Metroid Fusion to adjust the potentiometer because it has some movement in the title sequence. Took a few adjustments but it's great now.

Just use a suction cup to pull the front glass off and use some scotch tape to lightly stick the dust up. Easy to do. :)

Peagles

Just use a suction cup to pull the front glass off and use some scotch tape to lightly stick the dust up. Easy to do. :)

Yeh that was the problem. The tape left marks on the screen. Now it's a bit smudgy even though the dust is gone. It's not visible unless you look really close while it's off though.

And yeh my wire didn't come soldered, that's about the only thing wrong with that sellers kit, everything else is easy or already done for you.

There's other kits for $45 USD on eBay too by the way, seller called giftshotel, looks like an identical kit and they say they will send you 2 shells also.

alienator

i started collecting GB/GBC roms today.

this is my first!

1382285_10152789690406164_157765753_n.jpg

and i dont even own a GB or GBC (a GBA though with shitty screen) , but its a joy
playing this with a ps2 controller on my Gamecube via the gameboy player.

Can anybody tell me if these carts are region free? (im PAL) and im looking for some ntsc carts.. im a total noob when it comes to this. would they work on my euro GC ??

womp

Yeh that was the problem. The tape left marks on the screen. Now it's a bit smudgy even though the dust is gone. It's not visible unless you look really close while it's off though.

And yeh my wire didn't come soldered, that's about the only thing wrong with that sellers kit, everything else is easy or already done for you.

There's other kits for $45 USD on eBay too by the way, seller called giftshotel, looks like an identical kit and they say they will send you 2 shells also.

Giftshotel was my backup. Lol

So I messaged the seller who I got my premodded GBA from and he claims the 32 pins need to be soldered and the 40 pin kits come prewired. Very weird.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

So I messaged the seller who I got my premodded GBA from and he claims the 32 pins need to be soldered and the 40 pin kits come prewired. Very weird.
Wait, I ordered one for a 32 pin gba. I also had a 40 pin. What kind of trouble will I run into?

Peagles

The one I just did was a 40 pin, so it might just depend on the supplier maybe.

Top Bottom