• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

I almost have a complete collection of Nintendo's handhelds and I just added a GB Micro to the mix. Found it for ~$20 at a local shop in great condition! Very tiny but slick!

ibal0dqMjyira5.JPG

Nice pickup. Shame North America never got nice colors like that.

Zalman

Any opinions on Mega Man Xtreme 2? I heard the first one is basically nothing more than recycled levels from the main X series, but what about the second?

Any opinions on Mega Man Xtreme 2? I heard the first one is basically nothing more than recycled levels from the main X series, but what about the second?

Xtreme 2 rehashes a lot of stuff from too (namely X2 and X3), but at least it has playable Zero! Runs better too since it was designed specifically for GBC instead of being held back by monochrome GB spec. Of the two, definitely go for the second.

Kainazzo

Xtreme 2 rehashes a lot of stuff from too (namely X2 and X3), but at least it has playable Zero! Runs better too since it was designed specifically for GBC instead of being held back by monochrome GB spec. Of the two, definitely go for the second.

Also, it has Iris. IRRRIIIIIIIS!

OnPoint

Might have to do this to mine, I notice a little bit of interlacing so I'll try adjusting it a bit.

But yeah, just got mine yesterday:

Was a bit wary due to the horror stories, but it arrived fine, and buttons and screen work great.

I didn't know there were horror stories... the Gunmetal one I bought as a gift has a borked D-pad. Right doesn't work always and sometimes registers different directions. How good are these guys at responding to emails? I sent one last night but haven't heard back yet.

Rich!

I didn't know there were horror stories... the Gunmetal one I bought as a gift has a borked D-pad. Right doesn't work always and sometimes registers different directions. How good are these guys at responding to emails? I sent one last night but haven't heard back yet.

All I can say is:

good luck. You'd be better off fixing it yourself.

alienator

ok i feel kinda bad on my second GBC purchase,First of all , i was looking for a Gradius rom , which go around for 20 euro atleast , i found this guy who sold these carts (kid icarus, supermario land 1& 2, Nemesis and Gradius Interstellar assault , some soccer game and 2x tetris, for any offer.

So i offered him 20 euro for everything... he agreed, and asked if i wanted "that stupid gamecase' too with it. i said sure.

so today it arrived..

10154534_10152792178401164_179152845_n.jpg

The case itself, while a bit in mint condition, is a Super Mario Land Nintendo Gameboy Case, so just for shits and giggles i looked it up on the internets.. appears kinda rare, made about 40 bucks 3 years ago in the only ebay auction and information i can find about it. , made in 1992 and is an exclusive box for Holland. Licenced by a dutch company called forthy four.

Days like these are nice ;)

(unless its totally not rare and im making a fool out of myself here) :)

LostAnkh

Finally got one, and oh boy, am I having fun with MMBN2!
xw2exBfl.jpg

I am surprised at how small this is, and it was really weird trying to press the shoulder buttons.

Grief.exe

Finally got one, and oh boy, am I having fun with MMBN2!
xw2exBfl.jpg

I am surprised at how small this is, and it was really weird trying to press the shoulder buttons.

That is a really good looking Micro, and it came with a box. Love the matte grey tone, don't see too many of those.

zonipoi

Okay, around three weeks ago I got the urge to get a Micro after never having owned a GBA before. Here's my purchases so far. Pictures are absolutely horrible but can't be arsed to try again as they would probably still look horrible.

Still missing stuff that I want and while the new silver Micro that I got looks great, it has a dead pixel and I really want a green and/or blue Micro too. So far have only played Advance Wars and Sword of Mana (midway now), loving them both.

Loving the Micro, while I'm used to Vita and 3DS XL, the screen doesn't feel too small and my hands cramp even less than they do with other handhelds.

Edit.The pictures are massive and look horrible. :(

Grief.exe

Awesome collection there zonipoi!

Hey guys, Golden Sun is releasing later this month on Wii U, and I was going to join in on the fun by playing on the Micro.

There is already an OT up, but the game doesn't release outside of Japan until the 17th, so that is probably when I will start it up my play through. This will be my first time ever playing Golden Sun.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791642

goldensundzbtz.jpg

Zalman

Awesome, thanks! Not really sure I need it if it rehashes levels too, but maybe if I find a good deal.

LostAnkh

Awesome collection there zonipoi!

Hey guys, Golden Sun is releasing later this month on Wii U, and I was going to join in on the fun by playing on the Micro.

There is already an OT up, but the game doesn't release outside of Japan until the 17th, so that is probably when I will start it up my play through. This will be my first time ever playing Golden Sun.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791642

http://abload.de/img/goldensundzbtz.jpg
I'm gonna be playing that on my micro in a few days, thanks to a fellow Gaffer. ;)

OnPoint

If anyone cares, I emailed Rose Colored Gaming about my bum D-Pad and they're going to replace the system. I'll be sending the original one back tomorrow.

The email came within 48 hours and that's a pretty good fix. So far, that's really good customer service.

Peagles

Do you mean you used wrapping wire, and you wrapped it around the point? If you actually wrapped it, how?

Nah I just soldered it. It's just the thinner the wire is, the easier is it to put your GBA back together. I have some other very thin solid core wire that I might test out too.

Nah I just soldered it. It's just the thinner the wire is, the easier is it to put your GBA back together. I have some other very thin solid core wire that I might test out too.

That's what I figured since wrapping it seemed impossible, was just curious.

Did you use the adhesive tape they sent to hold the lens on? I thought it'd be sticky or something, but the instructions say you "can" use the tape.

Peagles

That's what I figured since wrapping it seemed impossible, was just curious.

Did you use the adhesive tape they sent to hold the lens on? I thought it'd be sticky or something, but the instructions say you "can" use the tape.

I used the tape. It's honestly the best double sided tape I've ever owned! It's gonna be amazing for my other tinkering too. It's very thin and very sticky. The lens isn't sticky on its own though so you'd have to use another adhesive if you don't use the tape.

i have a game boy color and you have to press really hard to use any of the buttons. anyone know how to fix this? also anyone know where to find a screen light mod fo it?

plc268

I used the tape. It's honestly the best double sided tape I've ever owned! It's gonna be amazing for my other tinkering too. It's very thin and very sticky. The lens isn't sticky on its own though so you'd have to use another adhesive if you don't use the tape.

That's what the tape was for, the glass screen? Because I was wondering why they added that.

But yea, typically the glass lenses come with a minimal amount of adhesive (got mine from zerey), but I figure that adhesive was added after the fact.

Peagles

That's what the tape was for, the glass screen? Because I was wondering why they added that.

But yea, typically the glass lenses come with a minimal amount of adhesive (got mine from zerey), but I figure that adhesive was added after the fact.

My glass screen came covered both sides in plastic, like it'd just come from the factory or something, so it needed adhesive. I also used the tape to affix the LCD to the inner bezel because that didn't have any stickiness either.

With handhelds I'm used to messing around with the original adhesive from Nintendo (which is a lot thicker, and doesn't behave well once unstuck from its original factory placing) so the tape is a godsend.

Didn't know Castlevania Legends was so rare. Prices are insane on eBay and there are only a few copies up. I bought it back when it first came out, wish I knew where my copy was.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That backlit GBA is amazing! I still prefer the SP's clamshell design, but I feel like the original GBA was more aesthetically pleasing.

That Klonoa game also looks gorgeous, wow. I need to get my hands on that.

womp

Damn, that looks awesome. Does it have the AGS-101 backlight in there? Also, curious to know if you have it set at the higher or lower brightness setting?

They are third party LCDs that pretty much match the lower brightness of the 101. Maybe somewhere between the two brightness settings even. Looks great IMO.

That backlit GBA is amazing! I still prefer the SP's clamshell design, but I feel like the original GBA was more aesthetically pleasing.

That Klonoa game also looks gorgeous, wow. I need to get my hands on that.

Klonoa is wonderful and addicting, a sleeper game on the system. Showing off games like Mario and Metroid get boring after awhile which is why I chose to buck the trend a bit. ;)

Artorias

Banned
I got my refund from RCG yesterday. Now to decide whether I really need something new to play GBA on I guess. I have 3 OGs, 2 SPs, 2 Micros, and 2 sealed DS lites. I really want a backlit OG but I wonder if I'm better off just sticking with those. I'm honestly not that picky, I was just really confused that they would offer to fix something that seemed fairly major to me and then send it back over a month later in the same condition.

I may even try to do my own mod. My original GBA from when I was 13 or so is actually immaculate. I had a screen protector on it from day one, and a decent pouch. The only problem is I've never done anything like that, and I would be heartbroken if I ruined that specific one. I have a few others but they were from collections I bought for the games included, they are both fairly rough and nothing I'll be keeping. Still, maybe I'll use them for practice.

I'm still checking Ebay, as they have gotten really cheap on there in the last few months, but I'm dead set on having a clear one (any color clear though!). I would obviously not hold a $90 unit to the same standards of a $180 unit so I may just do that since a backlight seems to be $50+ anyway.

baphomet

I would obviously not hold a $90 unit to the same standards of a $180 unit so I may just do that since a backlight seems to be $50+ anyway.

You should be though. Rcg is so extremely overpriced I don't understand why people go through them. You could just as easily do it yourself, or pay someone a fraction of the cost to do it. Judging by what I've seen quality control isn't really a thing at rcg so anyone who cares about their work will give you a better deal and product.

so i figured out i probably need the pads that go under the buttons to get the to work properly. any one know where to buy these besides people from china on ebay. nothing against them, but i'd rather have it before the end of the month/next month.

Zalman

So I have decided to finally start hunting down a backlit GBA SP. Anything I need to know? Which colors was it available in in Europe? Guessing I have to look on eBay for these?

Rich!

So I have decided to finally start hunting down a backlit GBA SP. Anything I need to know? Which colors was it available in in Europe? Guessing I have to look on eBay for these?

AFAIK, it was only released as one colour (onyx black) in Europe, and only half of those colours are the AGS-101. Not worth the hassle.

Look for a USA import. Got my last two from Ebay.

Thats it, I´ll buy the GBA backlight kit .

Hot damn, those pictures are sexy.

Anyone have any experience with how rosecolored gaming send their stuff to Europe ?

Top Bottom