• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
That's weird. I'll try that!

I had the problem where nothing would install at all, so I switched to a firmware recommended by GBAtemp and then I had the problem where installs worked, but not correctly for big games.

Anyway... Mother 3's in there, and I can put the rest of my collection there without problem. Pretty useful to carry 1 cartridge instead of a big box of games, hehe!

Teknoman

So I got Super Robot Taisen OG1 in a trade and the damn game boots to a white screen even after ultra thorough cleaning...

EDIT: Ok silver lining, he offered to just give me the paypal amount for a cart only copy on half.com, so that was cool. Now hopefully the cart from there arrives and in good condition.

Het_Nkik

New games!

w5h3ITH.jpg

I'm really mad at the European Kuru Kuru Kururin box, btw. The sides just have like, legal shit on them instead of the game's title. Looks like crap on my shelf.

ALM5252

I got:

Purple GameBoy Color
Pokemon Red and Blue
Tetris
NFL Blitz
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Pinball
A GameBoy Carrying Case

All for $35 yesterday. :)

Everything except Puzzle Challenge is in near Perfect Condition.

I got:

Purple GameBoy Color
Pokemon Red and Blue
Tetris
NFL Blitz
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Pinball
A GameBoy Carrying Case

All for $35 yesterday. :)

Everything except Puzzle Challenge is in near Perfect Condition.

not a bad deal considering those mainline pokemon games hold their value really well

maxcriden

New games!

I'm really mad at the European Kuru Kuru Kururin box, btw. The sides just have like, legal shit on them instead of the game's title. Looks like crap on my shelf.

Niiiiice pickups! I'm looking for a good price on Astro Boy too. Sorry to hear about the European box!

Dishwalla

Banned
Only have one Euro Game Boy box, the awful Simpsons Treehouse of Horror game, and yes it does have the legal stuff on the side vs. the title of the game(although the title is on the other side of the box, relegated to the bottom quarter of the panel). It is kind of ugly to look at.

Only have one Euro Game Boy box, the awful Simpsons Treehouse of Horror game, and yes it does have the legal stuff on the side vs. the title of the game(although the title is on the other side of the box, relegated to the bottom quarter of the panel). It is kind of ugly to look at.

according to the pics on Gamefaqs, Kururin's box is the same as that, so at least it has the consolation logo, lol

Het_Nkik

No problem. The last two GBA games I bought pushed the shelf to overcapacity and I'm about to move my 3DS games to a different shelf, so bear with the first pic.

EDIT: I just realized Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure are out of order!

Joqu

Nice collection you've got there, Het_Nkik!

That reminds me of the talks there were to merge the DS thread with this one. What happened with that? I'd post way more in here if I could brag about my DS pickups in here. :p

Het_Nkik

Man I wish I had a boxed copy of Tiny Toon Adventures Scary Dreams.

I don't know if you've played it, but it is not a good game imo. It's got a good battle system and then that's it. You just beat up the same types of enemies through flat boring levels and then the game's over. If you've played the first level you've played the last level.

I only bought it because I'm trying to own all of Treasure's games.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah, but that version of the game, the North American version, is fairly hard to come by and usually expensive, since it wasn't ever really officially released. The Euro version, Buster's Bad Dream, is easier to come across but usually still pretty pricy. How much did you pay for it?

Het_Nkik

Yeah, but that version of the game, the North American version, is fairly hard to come by and usually expensive, since it wasn't ever really officially released. The Euro version, Buster's Bad Dream, is easier to come across but usually still pretty pricy. How much did you pay for it?

$150.00 for a sealed copy. Which I opened to play. Also, yeah, the rarity factor is part of why I bought it.

TnK

Bought CV HoD sealed, LoZ oracle games sealed, and M&L SSS from the same gaffer that sold me CV AoS and LoZ Minish Cap sealed. No replay for a month =|

I hope he ends up shipping the stuff. It did not come cheap, lol.

octopiggy

Yeah, I buy way more games than I have time to play. It's a problem.

Amazing collection Het_Nkik! You have really have good taste in games too. I'm from the UK so I have that problem with the logos on the spines. I still keep them on their sides on my bookshelf but showing the top "spine". Not ideal.

Where do you get your cool box protector things?

Het_Nkik

I get the box protectors from retroprotection.com. The dude who runs the site is actually pretty cool. I e-mailed him about stocking a bunch of sizes he didn't have (Japanese GB and GBA, Famicom, Pokemon Pinball, WarioWare Twisted) and he replied saying he'd consider it and I thought that was the last I'd hear of him. But a couple months later he e-mailed me again saying he was able to order most of what I'd asked for from his manufacturer and it'll be up on the site in late June iirc.

-KRS-

That's nice to hear about the box protectors for Japanese games. It's hard to find such protectors since they used different sizes for boxes there for the FC and GB. I'll keep that site in mind.

Rich!

Well, I got my GB BOY COLLLLOIUUURU today

In terms of build quality, it's fine. Screen, despite the slightly wrong aspect ratio, is very good and colours are accurate. Sound is fine, but incorrect on some tracks - nothing major. Compatibility is superb - works perfectly with every game I've tested, and it even has all the palettes for non-colour games, like a real GBC. Speed is accurate.

So yeah, it's perfectly fine - especially for £10. Apart from that D-Pad. It's fucking shit.

DontBlink

I get the box protectors from retroprotection.com. The dude who runs the site is actually pretty cool. I e-mailed him about stocking a bunch of sizes he didn't have (Japanese GB and GBA, Famicom, Pokemon Pinball, WarioWare Twisted) and he replied saying he'd consider it and I thought that was the last I'd hear of him. But a couple months later he e-mailed me again saying he was able to order most of what I'd asked for from his manufacturer and it'll be up on the site in late June iirc.

Very good news about WarioWare, I've only purchased from www.videogameboxprotectors.com/ before and they don't seem to be interested in supplying any of the oddly-shaped boxes.

plc268

In terms of build quality, it's fine. Screen, despite the slightly wrong aspect ratio, is very good and colours are accurate. Sound is fine, but incorrect on some tracks - nothing major. Compatibility is superb - works perfectly with every game I've tested, and it even has all the palettes for non-colour games, like a real GBC. Speed is accurate.

So yeah, it's perfectly fine - especially for £10. Apart from that D-Pad. It's fucking shit.

If you have a spare gbc around that's broken, you can swap the dpad from that and put it in the gb boy colour. It fixes the problems with that dpad (primarily that you can push the dpad in all four directions at once).

The replacement dpad from this
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-buttons
won't work, because they're slightly different shaped than standard gbc buttons. But you can buy those for your GBC, and swap out the stock dpad and put it into the gb boy.

Hopefully that makes sense.

14366524043_a2faf5145c_z.jpg

Rich!

If you have a spare gbc around that's broken, you can swap the dpad from that and put it in the gb boy colour. It fixes the problems with that dpad (primarily that you can push the dpad in all four directions at once).

The replacement dpad from this
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-buttons
won't work, because they're slightly different shaped than standard gbc buttons. But you can buy those for your GBC, and swap out the stock dpad and put it into the gb boy.

Hopefully that makes sense.

14366524043_a2faf5145c_z.jpg

I have a broken GBC

aw yes! thanks!

octopiggy

Thanks. I will have to try and work out the cheapest way getting some to the UK. There's something similar on ebay UK from this guy. But he doesn't seem to have quite the same range. Will have to weigh up my options.

Jamix012

I've never played it, but you all are missing one Rayman platformer on the GBA. When it came out on the GBA, instead of a party game, Raving rabbids is actually a 2D Rayman platformer.

maxcriden

I've never played it, but you all are missing one Rayman platformer on the GBA. When it came out on the GBA, instead of a party game, Raving rabbids is actually a 2D Rayman platformer.

Is it any good? Any research I've done has indicated it's the worst of the GBA Raymans....

Bought CV HoD sealed, LoZ oracle games sealed, and M&L SSS from the same gaffer that sold me CV AoS and LoZ Minish Cap sealed. No replay for a month =|

I hope he ends up shipping the stuff. It did not come cheap, lol.

Post publicly about it in the B/S/T thread. That's no good. Sorry to hear man.

womp

I felt much like you when I first got mine and even posted about it in this very thread. Two months later though and the thing is dead. I used it for maybe an hour at most and kept it in its box when not in use.

Hopefully you have better luck. That said though, I wouldn't buy it again. :|

Finally got a black empty shell for the GBA SP 101, now I need to transplant all the innards from my scratched unit into it, I have never done any hardware mods so wish me luck.

Rich!

I felt much like you when I first got mine and even posted about it in this very thread. Two months later though and the thing is dead. I used it for maybe an hour at most and kept it in its box when not in use.

Hopefully you have better luck. That said though, I wouldn't buy it again. :|

Hah, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to mine.

Either way...I read somewhere that there's a way to get RGB out of it. If that is true then...oh my

Hah, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to mine.

Either way...I read somewhere that there's a way to get RGB out of it. If that is true then...oh my

Wow, really?

The resolution is correct on the SGB, but because of the way SNES outputs video, the aspect ratio is wrong on game boy games. Would be neat to have a proper consolized solution to play GB and GBC titles. Of course, that's making a lot of assumptions about what the video output would be like on that clone system.

It's interesting, I never though there was much interest in GBAs anymore. I've been trying to find a good price on those golden sun games but they seem hard to find. Seeing if anyone here had them for a good deal.

I'm also trying to get rid of some of these battle network games if anyones interested, I just keep finding them and shops in the area.

Jamix012

Wow, really?

The resolution is correct on the SGB, but because of the way SNES outputs video, the aspect ratio is wrong on game boy games. Would be neat to have a proper consolized solution to play GB and GBC titles. Of course, that's making a lot of assumptions about what the video output would be like on that clone system.

Oh really? What's the proper output aspect ratio of the Gameboy? And the SGB? I ask because I can manually adjust the aspect ratio on my upscaler, so I'd be interested in this.

Top Bottom