• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Het_Nkik

Oh really? What's the proper output aspect ratio of the Gameboy? And the SGB? I ask because I can manually adjust the aspect ratio on my upscaler, so I'd be interested in this.

Game Boy was 160x144. Aspect ratio calculators tell me that's a 1.11:1 ratio.

However, I'm reading the screen size of the GBC was 43mmx38mm which would be a 1.13:1 aspect ratio. Which is probably an incredibly tiny difference.

Rich!

Ehh, I've had a look around and I cannot find the forum where it was mentioned. It may be fuck all, I'll keep looking.

In the meantime, my GB Boy stopped working. lol. I discovered why - the power switch is shit. So I removed it and replaced it with another. It's a bit of a hackjob, but hey it works

i6MJTHQWpHe5B.jpg

And a new D-Pad courtesy of an old GBA. It rests a bit higher, but is awesome to use

Het_Nkik

Ehh, I've had a look around and I cannot find the forum where it was mentioned. It may be fuck all, I'll keep looking.

In the meantime, my GB Boy stopped working. lol. I discovered why - the power switch is shit. So I removed it and replaced it with another. It's a bit of a hackjob, but hey it works

And a new D-Pad courtesy of an old GBA. It rests a bit higher, but is awesome to use

That was fast! Both the breakage and the repair.

Got my replacement backlit 001 today and the screen is excellent this time and doesn't have the damage and overly visible dust specks of the last one (there are a few dust particles but they're not visible 90% of the time, so probably not going to bother/risk trying to get rid of them). Edit: Dust specks are GONE now thanks to womp's help. Overall the dealer turned out to be a really good guy in fixing this for me. Having an original GBA with a backlight is amazing and simply being able to switch out AAs with no more faulty lithium ion/capacity loss worries that come with the SP is a relief. I now have a secure, foolproof way to enjoy my GBA library and this will also help me avoid unnecessary GBA Virtual Console purchases on Wii U. Here are some pics:

ED960B49-4844-4CEF-BBC1-CA11B1169FDA-5265-0000042F05F56DE1_zpsae25f988.jpg

9310A085-CA9B-421A-A1E5-24F5BB732361-5265-0000042F48D59DCD_zpscd22a470.jpg

D89C3E59-2D1E-4EA7-9F95-8EC9214CEA08-5265-0000042EEC55DED6_zps9966aaeb.jpg

Got my replacement backlit 001 today and the screen is excellent this time and doesn't have the damage and overly visible dust specks of the last one (there are a few dust particles but they're not visible 90% of the time, so probably not going to bother/risk trying to get rid of them). Overall the dealer turned out to be a really good guy in fixing this for me. Having an original GBA with a backlight is amazing and simply being able to switch out AAs with no more faulty lithium ion/capacity worries that come with the SP is a relief. I now have a secure, foolproof way to enjoy my GBA library and this will also help me avoid unecessary GBA Virtual Console purchases on Wii U. Here are some pics:

That looks fantastic! Mind if I ask where you got it and how much it was?

Rizzi

Got my replacement backlit 001 today and the screen is excellent this time and doesn't have the damage and overly visible dust specks of the last one (there are a few dust particles but they're not visible 90% of the time, so probably not going to bother/risk trying to get rid of them). Overall the dealer turned out to be a really good guy in fixing this for me. Having an original GBA with a backlight is amazing and simply being able to switch out AAs with no more faulty lithium ion/capacity worries that come with the SP is a relief. I now have a secure, foolproof way to enjoy my GBA library and this will also help me avoid unecessary GBA Virtual Console purchases on Wii U. Here are some pics:

I'm super jealous.

That looks fantastic! Mind if I ask where you got it and how much it was?

It's from a Canadian eBay dealer named wii123. Cost $99 with free international flat rate shipping. Might want look at my previous post though because the first one he sent me had defects but he was really good about replacing it ASAP.

DontBlink

It's from a Canadian eBay dealer named wii123. Cost $99 with free international flat rate shipping. Might want look at my previous post though because the first one he sent me had defects but he was really good about replacing it ASAP.

I've been meaning to finally get one, as I don't have access to do the soldering currently and the seller actually has them for $85, so hopefully it turns out proper. Thanks for the heads up.

Ugh. I thought I was gonna be OK but unfortunately the dust specks are placed at just the right spots to be annoying and noticeable enough that I'm probably going to have to remove the cover at some point to try and gently brush them off. Any pointers for safely removing/putting the screen cover back on are greatly appreciate.

Edit: Dust specks are GONE now thanks to womp's help.

But enough of that enjoy some more pics:

5B3CFBE1-4FBD-4857-82EE-A776ABDB7DFE-5265-0000044D7E7692CB_zps5e6d1273.jpg

C499D90D-CDBD-455C-BA78-1CBF9150A12D-5265-0000044F1C65845C_zps06f87b9a.jpg

20DFE1A1-D548-4F1D-8B40-3C79C233F20B-5265-00000453EA69C412_zpsa08a679d.jpg

179147ED-63A0-4976-AECF-E0499D2A20C4-5265-000004536932C89A_zpsce852540.jpg

I love thrift stores. This is what I found over the last few weeks:

pickup1_zps4325c23f.jpg

Everything was $5 each.

ar_zps9466e40f.jpg

I found that exactly how it is in a $3 bag of toys.

womp

Ugh. I thought I was gonna be OK but unfortunately the dust specks are placed at just the right spots to be annoying and noticeable enough that I'm probably going to have to remove the cover at some point to try and gently brush them off. Any pointers for safely removing/putting the screen cover back on are greatly appreciate. But enough of that enjoy some more pics:
[/IMG]

Do what I did with mine and suction cup the screen cover off. Just lightly dab the specks of dust with a piece of scotch tap and then reaffix the cover back on.

Easy peasy. And congrats. It is the superior GBA. I have had mine for a couple months now and have yet to replace the batteries yet either.

Wow, didn't realize OG Kirby GB has a fantastic custom color palette for GBC/GBA:

BA5209BE-652E-40DE-A0C8-2DE5A6CF56C8-5265-0000045C997A43CB_zpsa581aa25.jpg

So does Metroid 2 (older pic taken on my SP years ago for another thread):

3929d27a.jpg

Do what I did with mine and suction cup the screen cover off. Just lightly dab the specks of dust with a piece of scotch tap and then reaffix the cover back on.

Easy peasy. And congrats. It is the superior GBA. I have had mine for a couple months now and have yet to replace the batteries yet either.

Thanks! I will try that suction cup method when I get a chance. Also, I'm finally trying my rechargeables on both the GBA and my GB Light and they're working out well so far (since Saturday for the GB Light).

Yesssssss! Did the suction cup method, screen cover popped off flawlessly (didn't realize it was just a thin bezel, thought it would be attached with prongs or something), applied a bunch of tape and BOOM. Dust is GONE, screen is now flawless and beautiful. Thanks womp! This and my Gameboy Light are officially my go-to systems of the summer.

I haven't had a chance to play my copy yet, but apparently Harry Potter is considered to be quite the underrated gem.

I was more excited about the Action Replay but never knew Chamber of Secrets was a good game! That why I love buying random games at thrift stores. You find so many hidden gems.

Peagles

Yesssssss! Did the suction cup method, screen cover popped off flawlessly (didn't realize it was just a thin bezel, thought it would be attached with prongs or something), applied a bunch of tape and BOOM. Dust is GONE, screen is now flawless and beautiful. Thanks womp! This and my Gameboy Light are officially my go-to systems of the summer.

I love happy endings :)

Anyone know of a good way to back up GB and GBC cartridge saves?

My wife's copies of Pocket Monsters Red, Green, Blue and Yellow all still have their original saves, one of which as all 151 pokemon including Mew (without cheats!) and I'd like to back these up for obvious reasons.

Rich!

Anyone know of a good way to back up GB and GBC cartridge saves?

My wife's copies of Pocket Monsters Red, Green, Blue and Yellow all still have their original saves, one of which as all 151 pokemon including Mew (without cheats!) and I'd like to back these up for obvious reasons.

If you have an Everdrive 64 and a transfer pak, you can use that. Theres a neat app that dumps your roms and saves, found on the everdrive forums.

womp

Sweet. :)

I love happy endings :)

Me too! Giggity giggity goo!

Me too. =) Seriously, I can't put this thing down now, what a great mod.

Heck man, I haven't even used rechargeables and these regular Duracell's are kicking ass so far. One thing I was really fearing with this mod was the probability of bad battery life and it has exceeded my expectations.

And thanks for reminding me that I wanted to get a Light. Grrr

So jealous of all the Classic GBA LCD mods, too rich for my blood, I just ordered a bunch of Chinese GBA SP batteries, hopefully they work and last a while (not holding my breath)

B.K.

I need to find a good person to buy one of those backlight modded GBAs. I bought one off Ebay a few months ago, but I sent it back because the screen wasn't very good. The light was too dim and there was a lot of weird interlacing and blurriness when things were moving.

maxcriden

So my micro is giving me serious eye strain whenever I use it. I get migraines daily regardless and it doesn't seem to do my sensitive eyes any favors. My wife has noticed significant eye strain when using it, too, and she's used it a lot more than I have. Have any of you had this issue? I'm thinking I'll probably just sell it to a GAFer.

Lynd7

The one for 64drive is called agbd but I think someone has made something similar for the ED64. I remember rich linking it in here once.

Hm ok. I want to dump my GB camera photos, I'll have to find out about the Everdrive one.

Raab

Neo Member
Just got a new blueish SP with the better backlight. Very excited, already put a few hours in on it today. Haven't had a handheld in about seven or eight years and was wondering if buying FF VI for GBA is as good as it was on the SNES/PS1 version? (Will be the first time playing FFVI despite playing 7-14).

OnPoint

I kind of wish someone would mod a GBC body to house a GBA. I think that would be sweet and comfortable if the triggers were put on properly.

Rich!

Well, I've finally settled on what is the best way to play GB/GBC games.

Gameyob - a gameboy emulator for the DS. As the DS basically has native hardware via the GBA portion of it, it's flawless emulation. Together with custom borders, and SGB support:

Throw in the GBC Bios file, and you have flawless GBC hardware support too, right down to the startup with selectable colour palettes:

Also, the saves are interchangeable with the Everdrive GB. So, I'm using the same micro SD card - just need to copy the saves over into the right folder, and I can carry on playing on my Super Game Boy or DMG. Amazing. Also, there's wireless link cable support and GB Printer emulation (print to file).

Just make sure you use the newest version (v5)

Gameyob - a gameboy emulator for the DS. As the DS basically has native hardware via the GBA portion of it, it's flawless emulation.

Gameyob isn't running native, it's just emulated. I remember some minor sound hitching really bothering me, plus I don't really trust emulators not to crash at random (since they do way more frequently than actual hardware). The borders are cool at least.

So if I recall correctly, Peagle or someone here said the GBA 001 SP mod can't go to the 101's brightest setting because nobody has figured out to solder the wire on the screen/board for it yet? As much as I love my modded 001, it's a bummer it won't go to the brightest setting.

It still looks amazing and is bright enough but it's basically somewhere in between the 101's "dimmer" and the "brighter" setting. For me this isn't that noticeable on most games but for some reason it really stands out on my copy of SMB2/Lost Levels. Last night I was playing it and thought it didn't pop out as much as my other Advance cartridges I've been playing on the mod this weekend so I tested it on my 101 and the difference was crazy brighter and crisper.

So then I did the same test on SMB 2 (USA) which is more "16-bit" obviously and the difference seemed very negligible and didn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because 8-bit sprites just stand out more due to their more monochrome nature against a brighter screen? SMB2J is the only Famicom/NES GBA title I own but it seems like it has always had "louder" colors than my other GBA cartridges, maybe that's it. Oh well, not a big deal, the mod is still awesome and this is the only title in my library I've run into so far where it feels like playing it on the 101 still makes a big difference.

Peagles

It's basically about to connecting it to a point on the GBA mainboard that will give it enough juice to make it brighter. There might not be another point on there that's going to make it any brighter, since the AGB wasn't designed by Nintendo to run a 101 screen. It's possible there is though, so it's probably worth a Google.

Funnily enough, it's almost too bright for me as is. I have all my screens dim though as they hurt my eyes when too bright. People usually pick up my phone and ask me how the hell I see anything on it, lol.

Yeah, like you said, maybe it's possibly due to the fact the 001 wasn't intended to have a backlight to begin with. Oh well, still a fantastic mod.

Ok, so I compared my modded system closer to my 101 and this isn't even "in between" the 101's dimmer and brighter settings, it seems to match the dimmer default setting of the 101 very closely if I'm not mistaken, if it's brighter it's not by much. According to this thread I found (which has a lot of good info, about halfway through it) on the GBAtemp forums:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-backlight-agb-001.328487/

....when the mod first came out, the default screen setting was even lower than the 101's default display setting before more people found the second solder point as can be seen by this pic someone posted on page 18:

anJ7wor.jpg

So first solder point = BAD, even dimmer than 101 default, solder point 2 = GOOD, matches/maybe a bit brighter than 101 default. According to other posters in there, you can get the brighter setting of the 101 but it requires installing a potentiometer. A poster in there named wiggatron who is actually from Rose Colored Gaming says he can do the 001 potentiometer switch install for two brightness settings so at some point I think I'm going to e-mail them to see how much it would cost to send my unit. I'd hope it'd be reasonable considering I already have a completely modded system ready to go. This isn't a huge deal but I'd like to at least have the brighter option for when I want it. For those here who has dealt with them, how is their service?

Edit: So looks like I may be misreading and the potentiometer solution in there that the guy from RCG was offering was apparently in response to the problem above where the screen was way too dim before more folks figured out how to get the solder point to match the 101's default setting.

-KRS-

Gameyob - a gameboy emulator for the DS. As the DS basically has native hardware via the GBA portion of it, it's flawless emulation. Together with custom borders, and SGB support:

Throw in the GBC Bios file, and you have flawless GBC hardware support too, right down to the startup with selectable colour palettes:

Also, the saves are interchangeable with the Everdrive GB. So, I'm using the same micro SD card - just need to copy the saves over into the right folder, and I can carry on playing on my Super Game Boy or DMG. Amazing. Also, there's wireless link cable support and GB Printer emulation (print to file).

Just make sure you use the newest version (v5)

Wow that looks pretty good. I thought DS Game Boy emulation started and ended with lameboy, but this seems way better. I'll try it out.

NR1

image-72.jpg

Got a copy of MGS for the GBC earlier this week for $20 at CGX in Frisco, TX. I don't see this game in the wild... Ever... and $20 seemed like a really good price. No box or manual, but I really didn't expect to find a reasonably priced copy with them.

I've "played" about 10 minutes of it, and so far I have just pressed the "A" button to move through the text of the cutscenes. Just like its big brothers on the home consoles!

Top Bottom