• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

image-72.jpg

Got a copy of MGS for the GBC earlier this week for $20 at CGX in Frisco, TX. I don't see this game in the wild... Ever... and $20 seemed like a really good price. No box or manual, but I really didn't expect to find a reasonably priced copy with them.

I've "played" about 10 minutes of it, and so far I have just pressed the "A" button to move through the text of the cutscenes. Just like its big brothers on the home consoles!

i've only ever seen this game anywhere once. ever.

cafemomo

image-72.jpg

Got a copy of MGS for the GBC earlier this week for $20 at CGX in Frisco, TX. I don't see this game in the wild... Ever... and $20 seemed like a really good price. No box or manual, but I really didn't expect to find a reasonably priced copy with them.

I've "played" about 10 minutes of it, and so far I have just pressed the "A" button to move through the text of the cutscenes. Just like its big brothers on the home consoles!

enjoy it.

personally i loved the game.

Wish Konami would do a 3DS remake or something

Peagles

Ok, so I finished reading through that gbatemp forum thread, and check out the pictures in this post from May 9th:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-backlight-agb-001.328487/page-28#post-4990112

Guy says he installed an "Aurora Deluxe cable with two way brightness switch." Anybody have experience with these? Based on the second picture titled "GBA high brightness," it looks like this mod possibly achieves the 101's brighter setting.

They're on taobao, but I have no idea how to order from there to NZ.

Dishwalla

Banned
image-72.jpg

I found the Japanese version of the game a couple weeks ago for around the same price.

womp

Yeah this is one I am gunning for myself right now...I keep bidding on eBay auctions but my sweet spot is around $20, I refuse to pay the $30+ average it seems to generally go for.

If I saw one for $20 at a show? No brainer. I played it a bit on my GBX flash cart years ago and even though I not a big fan of the series, this GB entry is absolutely awesome. I never had a chance to snag an actual copy at the time.

In any case, going to a local game show in a couple weeks and I am hoping I can find a one there. It's a great game, so enjoy!

prateeko

Great haul a few weeks back. Everything is almost literally new. I even had trouble opening the boxes because the flaps were so stiff. Major step forward, but now I need protectors for these boxes (all of these have original paperwork including mail always to konami, talus, etc)
Wiujn7p.jpg

Great haul a few weeks back. Everything is almost literally new. I even had trouble opening the boxes because the flaps were so stiff. Major step forward, but now I need protectors for these boxes (all of these have original paperwork including mail always to konami, talus, etc)
Wiujn7p.jpg

damn, someone's gonna have to call the jelly school.

how much, if you don't mind?

TnK

Wiujn7p.jpg
Wow this is an excellent pickup. Enjoy my man.

I am still waiting for the games I bought ;__;

-KRS-

Yeah that's one hell of a pickup alright. :O

And that reminds me that I need to get some box protectors for my GB boxes myself.

TnK

Is it any good? Any research I've done has indicated it's the worst of the GBA Raymans....

Post publicly about it in the B/S/T thread. That's no good. Sorry to hear man.
Really late reply:
I post publicly about it, do mods reach out to the member via email or something?

maxcriden

Really late reply:
I post publicly about it, do mods reach out to the member via email or something?

Not necessarily, but the rest of us know not to do business with this GAFer at least. And, maybe someone there will have an idea about any other way to help you out. Again, sorry to hear this happened to you.

Mzo

Yeah, they officially don't even want a BST area at all because they don't want to assume responsibility for it. It has to be policed by the community and if anyone raises a big enough stink it could potentially be gone.

They're on taobao, but I have no idea how to order from there to NZ.

Hmmmm. I wonder if they really provide more brightness, sure looks like it from that guy's post unless it's just the camera glare making it appear that way.

Wow, that's crazy. Am I seeing more than two brightness levels? How'd you find out about this? We need a translation on this. I don't want to seem greedy, I love my current mod but I would definitely send my unit in to get this kind of upgrade.

Peagles

Hmmmm. I wonder if they really provide more brightness, sure looks like it from that guy's post unless it's just the camera glare making it appear that way.

Wow, that's crazy. Am I seeing more than two brightness levels? How'd you find out about this? We need a translation on this. I don't want to seem greedy, I love my current mod but I would definitely send my unit in to get this kind of upgrade.

Looks like four levels of brightness... I just stumbled upon the video, so that's all I've got so far. I'll keep looking though. The two might not be related though...

^^^^

Keep up the good work.

More GBA mod pics. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a shmup addict but Gradius Galaxies is currently my favorite game to play on my backlight mod, the colors just pop:

EF6885ED-C88A-4124-9F99-FFB34C4CDD42-1816-000001D232269D4C_zpsed0ad37b.jpg

2848ECD7-B1A6-4D1A-848A-D8877CECBAED-1816-000001D28F77262B_zpsc0c050cd.jpg

EE8F2F63-C0C0-4C41-8836-B0BC670CB14A-1816-000001D3EC980D7E_zps9d3d7aef.jpg

TnK

Not necessarily, but the rest of us know not to do business with this GAFer at least. And, maybe someone there will have an idea about any other way to help you out. Again, sorry to hear this happened to you.
Thing is, he is a really old member with a tag and all. I think he ran into problems, since the last time he logged in was the day the last PM was sent.

maxcriden

Thing is, he is a really old member with a tag and all. I think he ran into problems, since the last time he logged in was the day the last PM was sent.

I understand; FWIW just recently there was a longtime member in the B/S/T thread who turned out to be scamming people. You may want to try contacting a mod for help first and see if they think you should post about it in the B/S/T thread as well. I'm hoping there can be some resolving of this for you still.

Mzo

Started playing Mario's Picross 2 on the Super Game Boy.

I was first surprised that it has an awesome custom border and extra colors on the palette, and secondly surprised by its interface. This isn't just menus on your screen. You control an archaeologist Mario avatar through a map of his office for training, and on maps of wild "digs" for the main game. Pretty neat.

There's also a Wario outline on the title screen that I can't access yet. I know what that means.

Het_Nkik

Started playing Mario's Picross 2 on the Super Game Boy.

I was first surprised that it has an awesome custom border and extra colors on the palette, and secondly surprised by its interface. This isn't just menus on your screen. You control an archaeologist Mario avatar through a map of his office for training, and on maps of wild "digs" for the main game. Pretty neat.

There's also a Wario outline on the title screen that I can't access yet. I know what that means.

Man, I actually got sick of Picross 2. It's like... TOO MUCH picross. And I don't like that each puzzle is actually 4 grids in one. Takes forever on some of the harder puzzles. I started off liking it a lot and by the time I was finally wrapping up the last puzzle I'm pretty sure I just wanted to kill myself.

So uh... enjoy :p

DontBlink

Finally received my modded system from wii123 on ebay and similarly to Agent Unknown, it's just not in good condition.

As you can see below, the screen is tilted, start button is chipped, lots of scratches and smudges on the lense and dust/crap underneath. I already contacted the seller so we'll see what they do.

5Z6pXxC.jpg

Peagles

Finally received my modded system from wii123 on ebay and similarly to Agent Unknown, it's just not in good condition.

As you can see below, the screen is tilted, start button is chipped, lots of scratches and smudges on the lense and dust/crap underneath. I already contacted the seller so we'll see what they do.

-snip-

Disgusting work. It'd take all of five minutes to make sure that was put together properly. What the hell is wrong with that seller?

5Z6pXxC.jpg

Ouch, really sorry to hear that, that's even worse than what happened to my first unit. He's actually not the one modding the systems, he says he gets them from "a reseller." From my experience if you politely work with him and are very detailed about your complaints, he'll work hard to get you a good replacement. The downsides are he'll expect you to pay for some of the return shipping (I told him I'd only pay for half) and even if the replacement unit itself is in great shape, you'll probably still be using tape to clean dust out from behind the screen cover (like mine). Whoever this guy uses for modding his systems is sloppy for sure and he shouldn't be letting them sell in that condition either. Anyways yeah, this guy needs to be avoided now.

Peagles

I got a translation. It's just a sales pitch, nothing about the mod itself.

Seeing boxes ruined like this makes me so sad :(

I blame Nintendo.

When you're a kid with tons of junk and brothers and sisters everywhere, cardboard boxes like which the N64 games came in, were bound to be smashed, destroyed, torn apart, etc. They really weren't useful.

Meanwhile, Sega Genesis games (those boxes were just as bad, I'm talking about the glorious plastic cases) were a god send. Love them.

Really wish Nintendo released their games in plastic cases. Unless you're a young adult to adult collector at the time, boxes just get in the way, get lost, bent, crushed, etc.. So sad, because a complete box, booklet, and game, are mouth watering.

After spending forever waiting to see if I could get a decently priced FFVI Advance CIB, I've finally relented and bought a cart only version. Cost £13, but from the looks of the it, it seems geniune with proper EU labeling. Guess I'll have to go through ebay if its not.

Het_Nkik

I blame Nintendo.

When you're a kid with tons of junk and brothers and sisters everywhere, cardboard boxes like which the N64 games came in, were bound to be smashed, destroyed, torn apart, etc. They really weren't useful.

Meanwhile, Sega Genesis games (those boxes were just as bad, I'm talking about the glorious plastic cases) were a god send. Love them.

Really wish Nintendo released their games in plastic cases. Unless you're a young adult to adult collector at the time, boxes just get in the way, get lost, bent, crushed, etc.. So sad, because a complete box, booklet, and game, are mouth watering.

Man, I hated when Sega switched to the cardboard boxes. But what's also weird is the amount of people who still threw away the plastic cases. So many loose carts on eBay. It'd be like throwing away those plastic snap cases VHS tapes used to come in. Why would you do that?

Seik

Banned
Is that one any good? I just remember horror stories about GBA Sonic games.

Loved Sonic Advance 1 and 2. Somehow 3 doesn't click with me, though.

Played Sonic Battle to 100% completion back then, but I wouldn't go back to it anytime soon after playing it so much.

Top Bottom