• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Robbie Drums said:
Damn.

I want to play this game, but... Do I need to have beaten the original? I've got it, but like... I'm on the 2nd level and not really enjoying it.

What do I do? :(
Sell your Gears, it's all over.

DoomGyver

Multiplayer would be perfect if they nerfed the smokes a bit and made it near impossible to chainsaw.

And a good counter to the chainsaw is HB + Melee, then pop a few shots into them and they're down faster than you can say sup bitches.

Full Recovery said:
Multiplayer would be perfect if they nerfed the smokes a bit and made it near impossible to chainsaw.

And a good counter to the chainsaw is HB + Melee, then pop a few shots into them and they're down faster than you can say sup bitches.
Dom is awesome. I'm glad they kept that quote.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sorry I left last night after one match. I had been playing for 3 hours up to that point and the wife wanted some couples time.

I'm sure this has been said already but I think the matchmaking setup is perfect for ranked. Though I wish they would bring back player matches like in GOW1. That way people would be able to have the best of both worlds.

But to be honest its probably just be a pipe dream. I dont even know if Epic could even make a huge update like that.

I really miss looking at a list, looking at the stages, players etc and just picking any match.

The On Timers said:
I'm sure this has been said already but I think the matchmaking setup is perfect for ranked. Though I wish they would bring back player matches like in GOW1. That way people would be able to have the best of both worlds.

But to be honest its probably just be a pipe dream. I dont even know if Epic could even make a huge update like that.

I really miss looking at a list, looking at the stages, players etc and just picking any match.
I think private matches are currently a fine substitute. It's not like I played public matches with random strangers in Gears1.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
god I wanna leave work and play the game.

Was just thinking avalanche would be so much fun for horde mode. You can camp out on the rooftops pretty easily right? Don't know why most of the horde matches I've played have been in fairly open maps like Day One or Pavillion.

Security also sounds good for it, couldnt you just turn security on and hide in the enclosed area and pick them all off? Whats the downsides to that?

anyone got any good horde tactics to share?

PhatSaqs

Banned
kaizoku said:
Security also sounds good for it, couldnt you just turn security on and hide in the enclosed area and pick them all off? Whats the downsides to that?
It works well for the most part but the AI can turn the switch off as well. You'll also start to run out of ammo camped up and of course the only ammo is outside of the secured area. Plenty of fun tho.

kaizoku said:

Was just thinking avalanche would be so much fun for horde mode. You can camp out on the rooftops pretty easily right? Don't know why most of the horde matches I've played have been in fairly open maps like Day One or Pavillion.

So do you wanna play the game or do you wanna just shoot fish in a barrel?

smik

ok.

in COD 5 literally im in a game in seconds and on top of that everyone in the room is green baring and nobody is complaining about the network condition, waiting for a patch this time of the year is the most anoying thing that could happen.

i waited 2 years for this only to be dissapointed with all these matchmaking problems

Game of the Year...Um i dont think so, its great dont get me wrong but not GOTY material

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Here's one fix to Horde mode: Turn on the ability to join a Horde match that's already in progress. That way a) It doesn't take me 5 minutes to find a game and b) you don't have to worry about people leaving your Horde match. I think maybe 70-80% of the time, once a group gets beyond level 20, you have someone quit. It's just a big time investment, that's all.

Penguin and I were playing and I had to leave. Something came up and I had to quit the match. It's not like a vs. mode where it's going to end after 3 rounds or something. We had invested considerable time and I felt bad that the team's chances of victory had juts went down big time.

Chinner

Banned
But CoD"5" is?
brah did you not read his post!? he knows this shit so much that it isnt opinion, its fact! also i justj oined another game in seconds. not that blaming the dude, but i think when this patch comes through they should make it less sensitive towards NAT if they can. mutiplayer was being a bitch for me untill I went and fixed my NAT like.

RSTEIN said:
Here's one fix to Horde mode: Turn on the ability to join a Horde match that's already in progress. That way a) It doesn't take me 5 minutes to find a game and b) you don't have to worry about people leaving your Horde match. I think maybe 70-80% of the time, once a group gets beyond level 20, you have someone quit. It's just a big time investment, that's all.

Penguin and I were playing and I had to leave. Something came up and I had to quit the match. It's not like a vs. mode where it's going to end after 3 rounds or something. We had invested considerable time and I felt bad that the team's chances of victory had juts went down big time.
Private Horde matches allow players to join between waves. Play that if you just want the achievements.

kaizoku said:

Avalanche is actually the first map I completed Horde mode on. Basically, we set up shop at the top of the level, where the snow starts rushing through in vs. games. There's a chaingun or mortar that spawns up there.

First, you've got the left and right hallways. Plant any grenades you have in those hallways, and also at the base of the steps which lead to your camping spot.

Set up your chaingunner to watch down the long hall to the right. Give him one guy to back him up and shoot a lancer down the hall with him.

Set up two guys in the middle to watch over the main courtyard, but also to keep an eye on the left hall from time to time.

Set up the last guy on the left to watch over that hall, preferably with a chaingun when you can get one.

You'll occassionally have to leave the top to scrounge for ammo and new weapons. Look for shields from Maulers and set those up in high traffic areas to hamper movement and promote bottlenecks. You can rinse, repeat this tactic over and over, as we did, for victory. Oh, and one last thing: Pray. :)

kaizoku

Dark Octave said:
So do you wanna play the game or do you wanna just shoot fish in a barrel?

cos running around all guns blazing does the job in horde mode does it?

if anything we're the fish in a barrel. I might've said camping, but it never pans out that way. You're still frantically fighting for your life.

Horde is very "zombie film". You kill the swarm, retreat to safest place you can think of and keep them away until they swarm you and you run away again. Its potentially more zombie-film experience than Left 4 Dead's AI director imo.

kaizoku

Uno Ill Nino said:
Avalanche is actually the first map I completed Horde mode on. Basically, we set up shop at the top of the level, where the snow starts rushing through in vs. games. There's a chaingun or mortar that spawns up there.

First, you've got the left and right hallways. Plant any grenades you have in those hallways, and also at the base of the steps which lead to your camping spot.

Set up your chaingunner to watch down the long hall to the right. Give him one guy to back him up and shoot a lancer down the hall with him.

Set up two guys in the middle to watch over the main courtyard, but also to keep an eye on the left hall from time to time.

Set up the last guy on the left to watch over that hall, preferably with a chaingun when you can get one.

You'll occassionally have to leave the top to scrounge for ammo and new weapons, but you can rinse, repeat this tactic over and over, as we did, for victory. Oh, and one last thing: Pray. :)

oh sweet, what difficulty? sounds like a blast.

_dementia said:
I think private matches are currently a fine substitute. It's not like I played public matches with random strangers in Gears1.

What!? Are you ser- oh wait.. haha. I see.

My Spishak sarcasm detector is broke so I couldn't tell at first.

haha....sarcasm...right?

Aladuf

Banned
smik said:
ok.

in COD 5 literally im in a game in seconds and on top of that everyone in the room is green baring and nobody is complaining about the network condition, waiting for a patch this time of the year is the most anoying thing that could happen.

i waited 2 years for this only to be dissapointed with all these matchmaking problems

Game of the Year...Um i dont think so, its great dont get me wrong but not GOTY material
Every post you mention how in Gears 2 you have some fucking abysmal connection in all of you matches, are you running on like, the shittiest non dial-up ever? Seriously, the lag has been so nonexistent for me, it's unbelievable.

Sandman42

Protip for people who hate how slow VS matchmaking is: Get 4 friends together and create a 5 man party. You can jump into games in 5-15 seconds.

The On Timers said:
What!? Are you ser- oh wait.. haha. I see.

My Spishak sarcasm detector is broke so I couldn't tell at first.

haha....sarcasm...right?
I would only do player matches with friends. In Gears1 you could only invite friends to player matches.
If I was going to play random strangers I played ranked. I might as well let it count towards the achievements.

xray49er

I had my first true experience with horde last night. Horde is dope bottom line. I joined in with 4 strangers then we all just sent eachothers friends request turned it into a private horde and it was crazy. we got to wave 19 but then my wife had my dinner so i quit. My gamertag is XRAY49ER if anybody needs a co-op partner or a horde partner i should be on around 6 unless my wife jumps on banjo then i'll be on around 9 eastern time.

PSGames

Wait a second. I just tried to play multiplayer split screen with a friend and it keeps saying that not all profiles are configured for online access. What is this? I know they are not requiring Gold accounts for guests are they??!

Baker

Banned
Brakara said:
How can can you see who the host is in public matches?

It's becomes pretty obvious when 8 of the 10 players have 3-5 second lag. I've seriously never seen lag that bad, and it was made even creepier because the game compensated for your movements. On the surface, everything seemed normal until you shot. Your bullets would hit the wall, then five seconds later your clip would show that you actually shot.

It ended up being a pretty hilarious situation since again, 8 out of the 10 of us couldn't kill each other with bullets. We all ended running into a middle area with the chainsaws out, then five seconds later people would randomly start dying.

We also ran into yet another ridiculous bug in Wingman. The match loads and at least three people (including my teammate) don't have weapons. They just ran around like action figures that lost all their accessories. I felt like such an evil dick when I chainsawed a dude who was cowering in a corner because he couldn't do anything.

kaizoku

PSGames said:
Wait a second. I just tried to play multiplayer split screen with a friend and it keeps saying that not all profiles are configured for online access. What is this? I know they are not requiring Gold accounts for guests are they??!

When I was still on Xbox Live Silver it wouldn't let me sign a guest in to play local split screen modes i.e. guest plays as kaizoku7(1) - I had to make a new account on my xbox and have player 2 sign in as that.

Created a gold account now and they CAN sign in as kaizoku(1). Just to play offline campaign or multiplayer!

If you are playing online... I have seen people play as the same gamertag before and I dont think they'd have ordered gold twice.

Baker said:
It's becomes pretty obvious when 8 of the 10 players have 3-5 second lag. I've seriously never seen lag that bad, and it was made even creepier because the game compensated for your movements. On the surface, everything seemed normal until you shot. Your bullets would hit the wall, then five seconds later your clip would show that you actually shot.

It ended up being a pretty hilarious situation since again, 8 out of the 10 of us couldn't kill each other with bullets. We all ended running into a middle area with the chainsaws out, then five seconds later people would randomly start dying.

We also ran into yet another ridiculous bug in Wingman. The match loads and at least three people (including my teammate) don't have weapons. They just ran around like action figures that lost all their accessories. I felt like such an evil dick when I chainsawed a dude who was cowering in a corner because he couldn't do anything.

Wingman has a plethora of bugs for some reason. One time me and my buddy went into wingman and when we started we had different people. I was Marcus he was dizzy.

He ended up dying from another Marcus because he thought it was me. :lol

2real4tv

Uno Ill Nino said:

You'll occassionally have to leave the top to scrounge for ammo and new weapons. Look for shields from Maulers and set those up in high traffic areas to hamper movement and promote bottlenecks. You can rinse, repeat this tactic over and over, as we did, for victory. Oh, and one last thing: Pray. :)

never completed horde mode but almost using security made it all the way to wave 38 when we all got locked out of security

2real4tv

RSTEIN said:

I agree

Just checked the new Gears 2 Stats page on GearsOfWar.Com. Great stuff. They've got some really extensive stuff on there. My K/D ration is almost 2.0.

Aladuf

Banned
Sandman42 said:
Protip for people who hate how slow VS matchmaking is: Get 4 friends together and create a 5 man party. You can jump into games in 5-15 seconds.
Seriously, that is the thing to do, that's how I play every night and matches take no time to find. And if people say they don't have enough people on their friends list or whatever then they need to make a stop in the online forum thread and pick up a few GAFer's gamertags.

Baker

Banned
2real4tv said:
never completed horde mode but almost using security made it all the way to wave 38 when we all got locked out of security

Security is probably the easiest, but it gets so boring and time consuming waiting for all the dudes to funnel into the side hallways.

I agree with the other guy that Avalanche is the best one I've played so far. Two left, two center, one right: grenades and shields at the bottom of the steps... The only real problem (but part of the enjoyment) is that none of the other weapons spawn anywhere near that area, hehe.

Gridlock was frickin' impossible on Insane if you didn't save the shields after every round. There was no spot to bunker down that didn't get completely overrun.

2real4tv said:

That's rad. I haven't done Security yet but we're going to soon.

I also did all 50 waves on Gridlock. That's a kick in the ass. We setup camp where one of the hammerbursts spawns. Try to set up chainguns on the walls, plant shields at the bottom of the steps, put nades in the walls on the steps as well, and try to hold off the ridiculous waves of enemies. Ocassionally run out to grab a sniper or boomshot, as well as the ammo caches that are close to the boom. At least on this map, when you run out for supplies, your team can see you the entire time and try to cover your ass.

I think I'm going to make some "how-to" videos for some of the maps and put them up on Moofpack.com in the next few days. Keep an eye out. And of course, if you have any tips for US to try, lemme know!

PS- My gamertag: Uno Ill Nino

kaizoku

ToyMachine228 said:
Just checked the new Gears 2 Stats page on GearsOfWar.Com. Great stuff. They've got some really extensive stuff on there. My K/D ration is almost 2.0.

I think mine is a little out of date.... not checked it before, but my K/D ratio is 4.53 :D Longest kill streak - 39!!

Horde mode naturally :lol

Accuracy with a sniper - 92%!
Torque bow - 89%

but torque and hammer of dawn are my most deadly weapons so far.

The On Timers said:
That why I really never played ranked. Always player matches. Me, my brothers and a friend against 4 other people. Good times. I do miss just jumping into matches and staying with those people. No going back to the menu screen.

yeah I made lots of friends playing with randoms, we ended up playing together almost all the time on gears 1.

_dementia said:
I would only do player matches with friends. In Gears1 you could only invite friends to player matches.
If I was going to play random strangers I played ranked. I might as well let it count towards the achievements.

That why I really never played ranked. Always player matches. Me, my brothers and a friend against 4 other people. Good times. I do miss just jumping into matches and staying with those people. No going back to the menu screen.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Full Recovery said:

Good to know I'll try that, I suck at chainsaw duels.

rjcc

Penny arcade is so on point today:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/12/

20081112.jpg

same question from gears 1, why do we have a floating cloaked robot with infinite power that is apparently useful only for opening doors? in gears 2 he has a video screen now, but that's the only addition. no one's ever thought about giving him a gun, or giving the gears cloaking tech?

rjcc said:
same question from gears 1, why do we have a floating cloaked robot with infinite power that is apparently useful only for opening doors? in gears 2 he has a video screen now, but that's the only addition. no one's ever thought about giving him a gun, or giving the gears cloaking tech?
Usual story really... give him weps and the powerplant / heat signature would be too big to cloak. It's easy for writers to wriggle out of this sort of thing. :lol

rjcc said:
Penny arcade is so on point today:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/12/

20081112.jpg

The Coalition of Ordered Governments have built satellites with the sole purpose of frying single mutants.

These aren't the most common-sense people.

Zabka

_dementia said:
The Coalition of Ordered Governments have built satellites with the sole purpose of frying single mutants.

These aren't the most common-sense people.
Those satellites fried the whole planet.

Y'know what would be cool, is a collection of 'Horde Only' maps that mimic a battlefield scenario from Gears, but bring into the mix much larger enemies ie Brumak's and Reavers. Give a real sense of scale to the mode.

Not that I'm displeased with Horde, but given its popularity I hope that Epic expand upon the concept.

Facism

Any word on whether we're going to get some sort of Unranked playlists or matchmaking that allows Guests to play?

Anyone else miss Ms. Berserker? I went through the entire game and multiple playthroughs of horde asking myself where this beast was. They could have done some really interesting stuff with the berserker.

PS:
The last boss was anti-climatic

vandalvideo said:
Anyone else miss Ms. Berserker? I went through the entire game and multiple playthroughs of horde asking myself where this beast was. They could have done some really interesting stuff with the berserker.

I did think it was slightly strange that they didn't use the Berserker at all, and only used Seeders in one scenario where you shoot them off that wall in the tank. My guess is Epic didn't want to use them much because they thought they blew their load of them in the first Gears of War. I definitely would have liked one major encounter with them for variety's sake. I think the Reaver got a bit over utilized in this one. That said, I really enjoyed Gears 2's campaign and can't wait to play through it again.

Brakara

sionyboy said:
Y'know what would be cool, is a collection of 'Horde Only' maps that mimic a battlefield scenario from Gears, but bring into the mix much larger enemies ie Brumak's and Reavers. Give a real sense of scale to the mode.

I agree, but I don't think they would suit all maps. I would easily buy that DLC though.

Top Bottom