• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

I tried to play MP last night for the fist time. After seven minutes waiting for a match to start, I put in Fallout. Looks like I might have to pick up CoD WaW for my MP fix.. :(

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Encountered another weird multiplayer glitch.

I wanted to play some horde.

I select multiplayer>Horde>start matchmaking.

I find my team quickly.

Then... it says... searching for opponents of similar skill :lol

The game just hung there and I couldn't exit. I had to reboot the machine.

Coverly

Didn't think Gears 2 would have the best two emotional moments this year.

The Maria scene. Wife and I have been passing the game co-op and we always made fun of dom, but damn, this scene really had us.

Cole taking over the speaker system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAVTkQx72w
Holy shit. Real tears were shed, it was just way too funny.

Finally beat the game on the weekend. It's my wife's goty(for me it's tied with fallout3)
so yeah, just dropped in here to say how awesome it is.

Aladuf

Banned
The On Timers said:
Anyone encounter a glitch where a person gets downed by the games standards but in reality they are still walking/standing upright, albeit very, very slowly.

Its happened quite a few times.....
I've seen that happen quite a few times.

Penguin

The On Timers said:
Anyone encounter a glitch where a person gets downed by the games standards but in reality they are still walking/standing upright, albeit very, very slowly.

Its happened quite a few times.....

It has happened to me where I get down, the screen goes the red then I'm back on my feet like I never took damage. No teammates around.

Also encountered a glitch where my chainsaw kept revving and I couldn't switch weapons. Forgot how changed that.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Forgot to mention that me and a friend were playing Wingman last night and ran into an asshat who deliberately lagged the match the instant anyone got close to him...

Name is MODD3D R3AP3R, and I guess his tag speaks plenty...

Seriously, the match would have no lag, and if you saw Dizzy get close to anyone, the rest of us in the match aside from yourself would start running into walls, and then you'd see four headshot kills by this guy whenever it came back to normal - every. single. encounter.

Even more telling was how he had 4 striped ranking, his partner had only one, I had 3 stripes, and everyone else had two... I'm guessing that it's those lag switches that morons sell online...

Needless to say that he was the only one getting kills unless someone used a chainsaw - and the most obvious sign was whenever he actually died, there would be no lag (since he had no reason to lag it of course)...

Gotta love kids that gotta cheat like this just to win in a video game... and it's a shame since I love Wingman so much...

F#A#Oo

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Forgot to mention that me and a friend were playing Wingman last night and ran into an asshat who deliberately lagged the match the instant anyone got close to him...

Seriously, the match would have no lag, and if you saw Dizzy get close to anyone, the rest of us in the match aside from yourself would start running into walls, and then you'd see four headshot kills by this guy whenever it came back to normal - every. single. encounter.

Even more telling was how he had 4 striped ranking, his partner had only one, I had 3 stripes, and everyone else had two... I'm guessing that it's those lag switches that morons sell online...

Needless to say that he was the only one getting kills unless someone used a chainsaw - and the most obvious sign was whenever he actually died, there would be no lag (since he had no reason to lag it of course)...

Gotta love kids that gotta cheat like this just to win in a video game... and it's a shame since I love Wingman so much...

Sucks...

Aladuf

Banned
Skilotonn said:

I like how his bio is "_ _ _ switch {ON}"

Guess he's not really trying to hide the fact that he uses a lag switch or mods.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Aladuf said:
I like how his bio is "_ _ _ switch {ON}"

Guess he's not really trying to hide the fact that he uses a lag switch or mods.

Shit, I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out.

Was the most blatant lag switcher I came across, no doubt - and now it has me even more suspicious for when similar things happened in matches before (lag free except for whenever a fight occurs)...

Looks like Epic will have to contact Bungie for some help on how to monitor and ban asshats like these from Matchmaking...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I played Gaurdian last night and the opposing team were all kneeling like they were using shields... but there weren't any shields. I would go right up to one of them and start blasting with my shotgun but no damage registered. Then of course they blasted me with their shotgun...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
uh,

I can't play my gears at all

I go to solo campaign and my save file just makes the select noise but nothing happens, same if I select empty slot to start a new game.

also if I try and do the same thing on a multiplayer game it just wont start. WTF.

It's installed to the harddrive, would this be a problem? Please don't tell me my save is fucked. ARGH.

F#A#Oo

Banned
catfish said:
uh,

I can't play my gears at all

I go to solo campaign and my save file just makes the select noise but nothing happens, same if I select empty slot to start a new game.

also if I try and do the same thing on a multiplayer game it just wont start. WTF.

It's installed to the harddrive, would this be a problem? Please don't tell me my save is fucked. ARGH.

I heard of this happening to a few people already...

Off the official forums.

A: If you’re having this issue, try setting your game to “Local” in the campaign lobby. This should fix any issues you’re experiencing. Follow these steps to set your game to Local:

1. Launch Gears of War 2
2. If you haven’t already, sign into your profile
3. Select “Co-op Campaign” (don’t worry, you can still opt for a Single Player match)
4. Select “Host Co-op Campaign”
5. Select a save slot
6. In the Campaign Lobby, set Co-op Mode to “System Link”
7. Select your Act, Chapter and Checkpoint
8. Press the START button to launch the campaign

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
thanks mate, just found that as well.

OH THANK GOD

Penguin said:
It has happened to me where I get down, the screen goes the red then I'm back on my feet like I never took damage. No teammates around.

Also encountered a glitch where my chainsaw kept revving and I couldn't switch weapons. Forgot how changed that.

Happened to me in Wingman too, except I had a grenade and did a Kamikaze ("A parting gift") They blew up, I didn't. I stood up with no damage. :lol

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Today has been awful for MP, well atleast for me anyways. It's seems finding a room that doesn't have eye bleeding lag is impossible for me this afternoon. When will this be fixed Epic??!?!?!

Oh and my box might be seeing red pretty soon, but I hope not.

h3ro

Found another glitch. My Preferred weapon choice isn't saving. I wanted to switch from the regular Lancer to my Gold Hammerburst, so I switched it over via the menu options. The game used the Gold Hammerburst for the duration of my playtime, but reset when I rebooted the game after going to the dashboard. At first, I thought this was a glitch with using the Golden guns, so I set the regular HB as my default. Rebooted and sure enough, the game reset to the regular Lancer. Not a big deal, but I've had a few matches, which for one reason or another, only gave me a half second on the Character/Gun selection screen and I didn't have enough time to switch the gun choice... very annoying when doing a Horde run since you can't change your spawn weapon in the middle of the match...

It's a small glitch that hopefully doesn't take too much time/effort to fix, but I'd really like Epic to address this in the upcoming patch...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
h3ro said:
Found another glitch. My Preferred weapon choice isn't saving. I wanted to switch from the regular Lancer to my Gold Hammerburst, so I switched it over via the menu options. The game used the Gold Hammerburst for the duration of my playtime, but reset when I rebooted the game after going to the dashboard. At first, I thought this was a glitch with using the Golden guns, so I set the regular HB as my default. Rebooted and sure enough, the game reset to the regular Lancer. Not a big deal, but I've had a few matches, which for one reason or another, only gave me a half second on the Character/Gun selection screen and I didn't have enough time to switch the gun choice... very annoying when doing a Horde run since you can't change your spawn weapon in the middle of the match...

It's a small glitch that hopefully doesn't take too much time/effort to fix, but I'd really like Epic to address this in the upcoming patch...

It only does that if one of your characters is either Hoffman or Skorge - which are leaders, and will switch to someone else when playing Guardian...

h3ro

Skilotonn said:
It only does that if one of your characters is either Hoffman or Skorge - which are leaders, and will switch to someone else when playing Guardian...

Nope, I use Dizzy/Carmine for COG and the Cyclops for the Locust side...

It's a known issue on the Epic Forums...

So now that I'm beginning to emerge from my Gears 2 afterglow, I've been looking for the Flashback maps to download. For the life of me I can't find em anywhere.

I check the "Downloads" for Gears 2 - lots of stuff there, but no Flashback Map Pack. I've looked at the marketplace under "Game Add-Ons" - also no dice.

Where are these fuckers hidden? Or am I just blind? Any help fellow intimate violence aficionados?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Has anyone encountered a glitch in Wingman lately? Last night, my friend and I played some Wingman and we noticed a few teams had different player models. For example, the 'Marcus' team consisted of Cole and Marcus instead of two Marcuses.

Same thing happened next match where there was a Theron Guard and Beast Rider teaming up even though both of their gamertags were under the "Theron Guard" model.

That screwed my team up since my friend and I were on the Beast Rider team yet there was a Beast Rider on the Theron team. Has this happened to anyone else lately?

NullPointer said:
So now that I'm beginning to emerge from my Gears 2 afterglow, I've been looking for the Flashback maps to download. For the life of me I can't find em anywhere.

I check the "Downloads" for Gears 2 - lots of stuff there, but no Flashback Map Pack. I've looked at the marketplace under "Game Add-Ons" - also no dice.

Where are these fuckers hidden? Or am I just blind? Any help fellow intimate violence aficionados?

LOL, there's a code in your copy of Gears 2 that lets you redeem it for the Map Pack.

h3ro

NullPointer said:

Did you buy a new copy of the game?

If so, it's on the card inside the case, under the 48 Hour Live code...

Domino Theory said:
Has anyone encountered a glitch in Wingman lately? Last night, my friend and I played some Wingman and we noticed a few teams had different player models. For example, the 'Marcus' team consisted of Cole and Marcus instead of two Marcuses.

Same thing happened next match where there was a Theron Guard and Beast Rider teaming up even though both of their gamertags were under the "Theron Guard" model.

That screwed my team up since my friend and I were on the Beast Rider team yet there was a Beast Rider on the Theron team. Has this happened to anyone else lately?
Were you playing on Jacinto? Three out of four times that glitch will occur on that map.

h3ro said:
Did you buy a new copy of the game?

If so, it's on the card inside the case, under the 48 Hour Live code...

OK. Starting to feel stupid here. I have the card right in front of me. There is a 9 digit code, which I figure is for the Flashback maps, along with a tearaway section which I guess is for the 48 Hour Gold Trial.

I can't find any Flashback Map pack on the marketplace, nor any redeem code option on the top level. I chose a random Gears 2 premium theme, and under that I saw an option to redeem code, but it asked for a 25 digit code.

Where am I going wrong here? Why not just have the damn Map Pack on the marketplace under downloads? And why not have redeem code an option as soon as you enter any of the marketplace sections?

Edit: OK, nevermind. I never tore off the cut-out, figuring I didn't need to use the 48 hour trial. And yep, lo and behold, the redeem code for the flashback maps is right underneath the trial one. Will give that a go. Uggg.

Edit 2: That worked. Thanks guys. I still think redeem code should be a top level option if they aren't going to list the item on the marketplace.

NIN90

WAT. Now I know why my Flashback-Code doesn't work:
German XBL users aren't allowed to download anything for Gears 2.
:lol :lol
oh lord

Got to level 46 in Horde mode last night, then we all got disconnected and the party broke up.

Soooo close... talk about blue balls. (Yeah, don't even.... its too easy.)

If anybody needs more teammates for their Horde parties, look me up. GT: NullPointer256

(the locust that olympic sprint at you with the shotguns/lancers are my bane. One wrong move and I'm sawed into chunks.)

Sectus

Domino Theory said:

I had the same bug in a few matches. In one match I saw 3 enemy teams being Marcus while my own team was Marcus + Cole. I was a bit confused.

a.wd

Just got round to finishing gears...wow...I really dont understand all the hate it gets around here it is amazing. Cant wait for the third, and this deserves to be as big as Halo just for the sheer level of awesomeness. even my missus sat around and watched the ending sequence :D :D :D

a.wd said:
Just got round to finishing gears...wow...I really dont understand all the hate it gets around here it is amazing. Cant wait for the third, and this deserves to be as big as Halo just for the sheer level of awesomeness. even my missus sat around and watched the ending sequence :D :D :D

Agreement entire. I think most of the nagativity comes unfairly from people who haven't played it, and fairly from those expecting a better online/matchmaking/ranked games system.

For those of us looking for a core campaign that ups the ante on the original, and for a well done and visceral Horde mode, we got more than we could've bargained for.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It's my wife's goty(

haha, same with my wife.

She's addicted to Horde.

She's 6 months pregnant, I think around this time we're supposed to be playing classical music so god knows what the sound of chainsaws and splattered limbs is going to do to the kid! haha.

destrosio

Neo Member
NullPointer said:
Agreement entire. I think most of the nagativity comes unfairly from people who haven't played it, and fairly from those expecting a better online/matchmaking/ranked games system.

For those of us looking for a core campaign that ups the ante on the original, and for a well done and visceral Horde mode, we got more than we could've bargained for.

couldn't agree more.

Brakara

a.wd said:
Just got round to finishing gears...wow...I really dont understand all the hate it gets around here it is amazing.

Well, it's mostly the public matchmaking and versus modes that gets, well, criticized.

For some love, check out this entertaining review I just read:

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=483

An excerpt:

Either way, Horde is real, it is alive; it is Gears of War meets Tetris; it is game mechanics on a silver platter; it is The Contra Stage Which Never Ends. It is the distilled joy of being with one’s bros and fighting the good fight. It is probably better than sex, both on emotional and physical levels. By the end of a ten-wave, brutally unsuccessful slog, you will know more about your bros on the other end of the Xbox Live headset than you learned about your future wife in six years of dating, whether you’re playing the game seriously or not.

And the bottom line:

Gears of War 2 is “Videogames: The Videogame”.

Just finished my Insane campaign. Now I just have to do at least one more campaign run. For collectibles. I'm sure I'll end up playing through other times as well with friends and whatnot.

Narcosis

NullPointer said:

IMO Horde Mode alone more than makes up for the fact that the competitive multiplayer is still in beta phase.

We got lag switched 3 times tonight, all three games the host just ran around headshotting and shotgunning everyone...it sucked. We did make one host quit though after we sent him about a million messages containing pictures of unsavory things, :lol .

I wish they would give word on a patch already.

h3ro

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
We got lag switched 3 times tonight, all three games the host just ran around headshotting and shotgunning everyone...it sucked. We did make one host quit though after we sent him about a million messages containing pictures of unsavory things, :lol .

I wish they would give word on a patch already.

Horde baby horde.

Aladuf

Banned
Me and Third had some damn fine Wingman matches tonight, we didn't win a ton of them but my god we were sharp as hell when we were playing. After all my whining and bitching about sucking last night, I sure as fuck made up for it tonight, and as usual Third was clutch as hell.

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Horde just doesn't do it for me...Once I got the achievement I wasn't too interested. Guess it would make seriously come a little faster though.
Same for me too, I'm kinda bummed that Horde didn't click with me past that. I just can't get enough of normal MP I guess because I've had no desire to go back to Horde.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
PvE is vastly overlooked, i'm glad Horde and bot support makes an appearance.

Rainbow 6 v2 was always our recent PvE kick, but god damn it, Horde is addictive.

Top Bottom