• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Hey guys,

i love gears and my friend bought his gears 2 this week. So he is very happy, but when he start the campaign there come the error: Game Disc not readable(Sry we live in Germany). He doesnt have XBL. So anyone a solution for this problem?

JimiNutz

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Does this cereal contain peanuts? because I can't have nuts in my cereal.

no sale.

haha
The fuck is wrong with you?!

:lol
Great advert, I wish Cole Train would crash through my kitchen wall every morning and shout in my face before work :(
It would have been even better if at the end of the advert they had Marcus Fenix shouting WHO WANTS TOAST?!!!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPWt9sfl88

Aladuf

Banned
The Lamonster said:
omg did the
inner-worm stomach/heart
level last night and HOLY SHIT. It doesn't get any better than that level, right?
I dunno.. Act 5 was pretty god damn great but it's nothing as crazy as
the worm/heart level
. It was amazing looking too.

dirtmonkey37 said:
It's a terrible shame that the first level looks like trash both technically and aesthetically. Everything about it just looks generic, bland, and clunky. I don't understand why the developers would start the game off in one of the worst looking environments in both Gears 1 and Gears 2.

Regardless, the game is holding up nicely.

I think they were purposefully doing that to play with your expectations and blindside you with the awesomeness that follows. The relatively bland first level enhances the levels after it.

Wizman23 said:
Bungie should sell their netcode like Epic sells their engine. Problem would be solved.

I was kinda thinking the same thing except I was thinking Infinity Ward...someone really should get into the business of licensing netcode in general. and by someone, im not talking about Epic.

Despite all this, Gears of War 2 is still my game of the year. you can bitch about Epic, but my other fav developer Bethesda, I still cant even play their game because of a game stopping bug in the main mission....

cresto

NutJobJim said:

:lol
Great advert, I wish Cole Train would crash through my kitchen wall every morning and shout in my face before work :(
It would have been even better if at the end of the advert they had Marcus Fenix shouting WHO WANTS TOAST?!!!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPWt9sfl88
Has anyone found any others in the campaign? I ran across this part and remember the vid. So satisfy to get toast right before killing some locust scum

JimiNutz

Banned
The thing I don't understand is, Epic have a long history of developing online games (UT) so why does their netcode suck? :lol
I love Gears, I really do warts and all, but the netcode in both games is pretty shitty (slightly better in 2 but still poorer than I'd like)
Matchmaking I can maybe understand, but why they didn't just ask MS if they could 'borrow' Bungies I'll never know.
Also why does the bot AI suck so much? Once again you'd think they'd be pretty good at programming bot AI by now.
I still ove the game though, even if it's loaded with loads of shitty little problems :D

Oh and ergo I don't know if there are anymore Eastereggs, I didn't see any more on youtube. That toast one cracks me up though :lol

I'd be more happy with how gears 1 and 2 handle lag if everyone had it, and you connected to a server. Since there is always 1 person in the match who is the host they will always have a shooting advantage, always.

It's amazing how much it helps the host too, when I was working on doing my 50 hosted matches achievement in gears 1 I could shotgun 9 out of 10 people close to me before they could hurt me enough to be a problem.

DoomGyver

NutJobJim said:

replace nuts + cereal with glitches + gears of war.

i know... not funny, but give me a break that comment was made after driving 7 hours yesterday.

cresto

Diablohead said:
I'd be more happy with how gears 1 and 2 handle lag if everyone had it, and you connected to a server. Since there is always 1 person in the match who is the host they will always have a shooting advantage, always.

It's amazing how much it helps the host too, when I was working on doing my 50 hosted matches achievement in gears 1 I could shotgun 9 out of 10 people close to me before they could hurt me enough to be a problem.
Isn't this true for halo3 and cod4 as well? No way around that, they should just learn from those games how to do it right. Oh i said it bitches

Arnie

Mark and Cliffy, it isn't your matchmaking that is crippling the online experience, it's the disgraceful netcode and gameplay. I want to love Gears Of War 2 multiplayer, I thought the Singleplayer was the best I've played this year; however me and all of my friends (diehard Gears 1 fans, played it until 2 and have seriously) have moved on. Literally, the shotgun is more inconsistent than it has ever been, for example hitting the floor or bullets simply not appearing. The netcode is IMHO worse than Gears 1. When in a clear game, I agree Gears 2 perhaps shades Gears 1, but the frequency of games that are unplayable shit laggy is exponentially higher in Gears 2. This is appaling, that was the main fix thus making us fans believe you will have it covered. Map designs are littered with horribly unbalanced weapons such as the mortar and boomshot (River *cough* River). Don't get me started on the chainsaw or I will tear my eyes out. Maps themsleves lack individual flair despite a couple of standouts, Security and Stasis. You will support a game which was obviously dead popularity wise, UT3, with dedicated servers, why not save them for the game that would surely require them.

I am at my wits end, people in this thread will know I eagerly anticipated this game and it has strongly let me down, I doubt I will play it any more until a major patch emerges, fixing GAMEPLAY AND NETCODE issues, not irrelevent matchmaking gripes. Sort it Epic, it's depressing.

-I don't have any problem with the Matchmaking.

-I have a few problems with netcode. Mainly when I host the game lags to all hell for everyone else. Other than that, I don't think it's too bad.

- Honestly, my biggest gripe with Gears 2 is Smokes. Get them out of Ranked matches. It's ruining the game's flow big time.

-ARNiE- said:
Mark and Cliffy, it isn't your matchmaking that is crippling the online experience, it's the disgraceful netcode and gameplay. I want to love Gears Of War 2 multiplayer, I thought the Singleplayer was the best I've played this year; however me and all of my friends (diehard Gears 1 fans, played it until 2 and have seriously) have moved on. Literally, the shotgun is more inconsistent than it has ever been, for example hitting the floor or bullets simply not appearing. The netcode is IMHO worse than Gears 1. When in a clear game, I agree Gears 2 perhaps shades Gears 1, but the frequency of games that are unplayable shit laggy is exponentially higher in Gears 2. This is appaling, that was the main fix thus making us fans believe you will have it covered. Map designs are littered with horribly unbalanced weapons such as the mortar and boomshot (River *cough* River). Don't get me started on the chainsaw or I will tear my eyes out. Maps themsleves lack individual flair despite a couple of standouts, Security and Stasis. You will support a game which was obviously dead popularity wise, UT3, with dedicated servers, why not save them for the game that would surely require them.

I am at my wits end, people in this thread will know I eagerly anticipated this game and it has strongly let me down, I doubt I will play it any more until a major patch emerges, fixing GAMEPLAY AND NETCODE issues, not irrelevent matchmaking gripes. Sort it Epic, it's depressing.

this is exactly how I feel.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Aladuf said:
Ehh, yeah.. I want to want to play Gears 2 again. But I just lost that feeling a few days ago, once we get a patch and as long as it's a good gameplay-fixer, I'm right back. But right now PoP has got me by the balls so I can "patiently" wait for that patch.

I'm starting to feel it as well. Whether it's the idiots who don't talk in Horde and whine or quit when no one revives them (seriously Epic, Horde needs it's own ranking system), the horrible lag, or those goddamn fucking Cyclops, it's starting to less fun and more frustrating each and everyday.

But I can't quit now, only 83,000 more kills!!!!!

Oh, I forgot, screw those Theron and Palace guards, way too fucking accurate with the torque bow.

And getting killed by something from the environment falling on top of you, lame.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm still plating it now and then, I certainly agree that it needs patching for the gameplay/glitches. I'll probably be on a lot today if any Gaffers fancy a game. Overall the MP part of the game has definitely been a disappointment, but I still enjoy Gears more than most of the other big shooters.

JimiNutz

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Nice... :lol

Didn't he admit that he sucked at the game? I'm sure you said that Aladuf! :lol

But really, what does that matter though?

To be honet I suck at the game as well :lol
At least I suck compared to Gears1. My K/D is like 0.8 and I do find it frustrating some of the time, but I still enjoy playing it

Gig

NutJobJim said:
I'm still plating it now and then, I certainly agree that it needs patching for the gameplay/glitches. I'll probably be on a lot today if any Gaffers fancy a game. Overall the MP part of the game has definitely been a disappointment, but I still enjoy Gears more than most of the other big shooters.

Will you be playing Horde? I'd loved to get some Horde action in with some other Gaffers.

Thrakier

Played through it. All in all I thought that it was a good game, but I didn't like it as much as the first Gears back then. Of course this doesn't mean that the 2nd one isn't better...it's just it feels like a lot "been there, done that". All the new things they added, I don't like them, the vehicle sections weren't fun at all, not one of them. I liked the worm section though.
Overall I thought that the section they showed at E3 was by far the best section of the whole game, which was a big dissapointment. The MP is a huge dissapointment, the competitive feels somewhat dated and clunky, just not much fun in the "past COD4" time, horde mode is fun for like...20 rounds, after that it came to my mind that it's always the same. XD

The whole Dom/Maria thing was a bad joke, in many ways. The Ending was a big letdown. Gears is a shooter so normally I would never blame the game for this but CliffyB was hyping the story so much that I had to chuckle sometimes and thought "woah Cliffy, this was what you were hyping?". Seriously, the story is solid, but the whole presentation isn't great, the cutscenes are clunky, maybe it's the UT-Engine, I don't know. It never feels movie like like for example MGS or Uncharted.

Oh, and the Graphics: This is all you can do with the UT-Engine I think. I think overall it looks good, in some sections it looks genious, in other sections not so much. The Lighting is weak. I hope for GoW3 they have a new engine.

JimiNutz

Banned
Gig said:
Will you be playing Horde? I'd loved to get some Horde action in with some other Gaffers.

I think we may be. I'm going to my old student house to play with a couple of my friends so it depends on what everyone wants to play. No doubt we'll be hitting Horde at some point though.

Gig

Another thing that is rather annoying that I only really starting noticing recently is that a lot of the new enemies suck.

Sires are just like Wretches, but bigger.

Nemacites, another Wretch-like enemy, except much easier to kill.

Palace Guards=Theron Guards, but with more health.

Kantus are not nearly as menacing as I thought they would be. The time in between when a enemy is down and when the Kantus revives it is too long. The Kantus' tenancy to stay back and provide support often puts them out of range to use their poison ink grenade. Tickers are summoned infrequently and when they are there only too few.

Flame Boomers/Flame Grenadier, very easy to rupture their fuel tank (especially with the shotgun), if there is some sort of explosion near them they're toast.

Brumaks, what a letdown, finally having the opportunity to fight a Brumak was one of the things that excited about Gears of War 2 the most, such a shame they are so easily defeated.:(

Butchers, seriously Butchers, what a completely worthless and nonthreatening foe
They take an eternity to get you and when they finally do, their only attack is so easily avoidable.

With that being said Maulers, Bloodmounts, tickers and Reavers on land are great.

Brakara

NutJobJim said:
The thing I don't understand is, Epic have a long history of developing online games (UT) so why does their netcode suck? :lol

Dedicated servers vs p2p. They've mastered the former but are obviously still struggling with the latter. Having said that, I've rarely run into any problems playing Horde. I've had a couple of laggy Horde matches, but other than that, it's been pretty smooth so far.

Aladuf

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Didn't he admit that he sucked at the game? I'm sure you said that Aladuf! :lol

But really, what does that matter though?
That was more of me just being frustrated one night, Gears 2 did that to me a lot.. but last time I checked my leaderboards I'm over 1.0 k/d in every Private/Public gametype.

I wonder what ThirdEngine's k/d is in Private Execution nowadays? It was about 3.3 or so last week and he was about 175 in the world! :lol

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

Shins said:
still don't understand why UT III for 360 can have dedicated servers but Gears of War 2 cannot

Has Microsoft ever published a 360 game with dedicated servers? I don't think so. I think they may be the answer.

Gig said:
Brumaks, what a letdown, finally having the opportunity to fight a Brumak was one of the things that excited about Gears of War 2 the most, such a shame they are so easily defeated.:(

My complaint is that every time we fight Brumak's in the game, we're given some power weapon to take them down, like a tank, mortar, or turret. I would have liked to have fought a Brumak on foot at least once, ala the PC version of Gears. That would have built up the tension better I think. Say you kill a Brumak on foot, and it was pretty tough, and then when you see two Brumaks when your in a vehicle or something you're shitting your pants...OMG TWO BRUMAKS???

MPW

i'm getting this game part of the buy pro and get a free game deal! :D

is it true what they say ... gow2 looks good even on a SD TV?

Kibbles

msdstc said:
So that article is bullshit, because gears 2 is just so much better than Halo 3, too much fanboy hype around the halo franchise. Either way I'm finishing up gears 2 now and I have to say it is just so much better than the first one. The visuals are absolutely incredible, made me say wow several times, and I've stopped quite a bit to just look around and admire what they've created. Some of it is a bit over the top,
The part INSIDE the worm was fun, it was just a little ridiculous.
also there was still a lot of shitty writing, however I felt much more of a connection this time
scene with maria :(
. The voice of the
queen at the end is stupid as hell too, especially what she's saying
either way huge step up, and so far my 2nd favorite game of the year.

edited for spoiler tags not working.
Halo is the game I keep coming back to. Whenever new games come out and I'm super hyped, I play them for a while, then eventually go right back to Halo 3, which feels fresh again. It's pretty nice, because when you get sick of Halo just play a new game for a while and you can always come back to Halo. I just haven't had interest in putting Gears 2 in the disc tray lately... I play the campaign here and there but MP hasn't been as fun.

Aladuf said:
That was more of me just being frustrated one night, Gears 2 did that to me a lot.. but last time I checked my leaderboards I'm over 1.0 k/d in every Private/Public gametype.

I wonder what ThirdEngine's k/d is in Private Execution nowadays? It was about 3.3 or so last week and he was about 175 in the world! :lol
Last time I checked I had moved up to a 3.7 K/D and the lowest I was ranked was 150, but I haven't played nearly as much because Left 4 Dead has me by the balls right now. Plus, I don't have *cough* certain people *cough* to play with every night like I used to.

:sadface:

Kibbles said:
Halo is the game I keep coming back to. Whenever new games come out and I'm super hyped, I play them for a while, then eventually go right back to Halo 3, which feels fresh again. It's pretty nice, because when you get sick of Halo just play a new game for a while and you can always come back to Halo. I just haven't had interest in putting Gears 2 in the disc tray lately... I play the campaign here and there but MP hasn't been as fun.
I can agree. I popped it in the other night, and I was honestly impressed not only with the netcode, but the framerate was butter smooth as well. Are dedicated servers for Gears completely out of the question, even at this point?

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Last time I checked I had moved up to a 3.7 K/D and the lowest I was ranked was 150, but I haven't played nearly as much because Left 4 Dead has me by the balls right now. Plus, I don't have *cough* certain people *cough* to play with every night like I used to.

:sadface:
Yeah, sorry about that, buddy.. I've just been playing the PS3 this past week, I've bought about 4 games for it and I'm kinda going through them all now. I'm thinking during the Holiday break from college I'll give Gears a shot again.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I can't put this game down. Even pre-patch.

My KDR is 1.6, Even though this game pisses me off sometimes (read: A lot) I'm good at it.

x_x

Edit: I think Horde counts as a part of the K/D Standings.

Surprisingly, I've played close to no Horde. Just a couple of waves.

Aladuf said:
Yeah, sorry about that, buddy.. I've just been playing the PS3 this past week, I've bought about 4 games for it and I'm kinda going through them all now. I'm thinking during the Holiday break from college I'll give Gears a shot again.
I know you'll return eventually. :lol

I think I'll be getting a PS3 this Christmas as well.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
ToyMachine228 said:
-I don't have any problem with the Matchmaking.

-I have a few problems with netcode. Mainly when I host the game lags to all hell for everyone else. Other than that, I don't think it's too bad.

- Honestly, my biggest gripe with Gears 2 is Smokes. Get them out of Ranked matches. It's ruining the game's flow big time.

Yeah, I can live with the Match making service it is not a deal breaker. The netcode is worst then GOW1 IMO. Bullet lag can be up to a full second delay which almost unplayable and they did not fix host advantage, in fact I think the host is stronger now. But my biggest problem with GOW2 is the shotgun, all Epic talked about was stopping power for the weapons but the Shotgun doesn't seem to have stopping power on it at all. I can't count how times I was chainsawed by someone just walking straight at me and I would repeatly pump the shotgun at them only to get sucked into the chainsaw. I not sure if is a gameplay issue or bullet lag issue but it is just plain stupid. I really have my doubts that Epic can fix the netcode problem, so I don't see myself sticking to GOW2 for too long, considering I played GOW1 for well over a year, GOW2 will go down as a major disappointment in my book.

Got the game from Gamefly yesterday and just beat it today.

Shit was AW-SUM.

I bought the first back on release in a 360 bundle and felt satisfied with the game, but I didn't feel it was good enough to warrant buying the system.

Buuut, Gears 2 definitely is. Going down the list, everything is improved. Single player campaign is better, graphics are better, the locations you visit are better, the guns feel better (Hammerburst finally worth using).
The story that's there is better. (
I had a feeling Doms wife was dead, so when they revealed her still alive I was surprised.... then when they revealed she was alive just all fucked up I was genuinely surprised again.

The middle levels underground are unfuckingbelievably gorgeous. I was just taken aback by how good it all looked.

I'm glad I got to play this so I can include it in my top 10 for this years Gaf GOTY thing. It's gonna be up there.

HokieJoe

So, I've been playing Horde locally some lately and I made it to level 20 on Tyro Station before giving up. Failure after failure was driving me nuts. Anyway, I've made it up to level 27 on "Day One". It seems the most easily defensible with only one player.

Chinner

Banned
Okay, looks like they're finally starting the Gears of War 2 ads in the UK. Only took them a month. Shamefully they've butchered the original advert.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I finally beat the campaign and I've moved on to trying to play multiplayer.

Key word is trying. Is anyone actually online in Gears 2 or am I the only one? I've been sitting here in matchmaking forever.

Gunstar77 said:
...But my biggest problem with GOW2 is the shotgun, all Epic talked about was stopping power for the weapons but the Shotgun doesn't seem to have stopping power on it at all. I can't count how times I was chainsawed by someone just walking straight at me and I would repeatly pump the shotgun at them only to get sucked into the chainsaw. ...

Yeah this happened to me during the one game of multiplayer I've been able to get into. It was pretty annoying considering I got one-shot killed a few times by shotguns earlier in that match.

Aladuf

Banned
So it seems in the week I took off from Gears that the Boomshield glitch has been found out by.. everyone? I played 6 total Wingman matches with Third earlier tonight and 5 out of those 6 times we encountered someone using that glitch with their shotty out just mowing though people. The only reason I'm sure it wasn't used in the one match was because the Boomshield wasn't on the map, and even that match was fucked up because we had 2 Theron Guard teams and 2 Marcus teams. This game's glitches and the guys that endlessly exploit them for the "hurr, easy win" can seriously fuck off.

Guess I'll just forget about Gears again, it's not so hard to do these days with the amount of bullshit.

I haven't been motivated to play Gears 2 lately and after playing a few games tonight, I think I figured out why. And really, it's because I get sick and tired of killing people with the Shotgun. That's seriously it. I LOVE the Lancer as a gun. I like the way it feels, like the way it sounds, and yet it just doesn't compete with bum-rushing someone and blowing them in half with the Shotgun, strategy wise.

I think Epic really wanted to slow down Gears 2 multiplayer a bit and make it about using cover, and about covering your teammates flanks, but it didn't happen. Once again, we're left with a Shotgun fest. And don't get me wrong, Gears 2 multiplayer IS fun. It's just not as good as it could be. It just loses it's luster after a while when all you do is throw Smokes, gib with the Shotgun, and demolish with grenades, which is basically what the game is right now.

Top Bottom