• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

BioHazard

Aladuf said:
You've got some shit luck then. I actually tried matchmaking with only myself last night for the first time post-patch and the longest time it ever took was ~2 minutes.

I guess so. It always gets stuck on "Finding opponents with similar skills lol." Maybe it's not luck, maybe I am JUST THAT GOOD.

clav

_dementia said:
Man, Horde last night via LAN and 3 of my bros was a blast.
Further proof local play always beats online play
Online play is more convenient though...

Horde doesn't have that many issues as compared to 10 player matches.

bumpkin

BioHazard said:
I guess so. It always gets stuck on "Finding opponents with similar skills lol." Maybe it's not luck, maybe I am JUST THAT GOOD.
Either that or maybe you should adjust your router settings? I know I had issues connecting to games on Live before I made some adjustments (forwarded ports and the like). There was a thread here that listed the ports each service uses:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256257&highlight=networking+wireless

Perhaps that'll help?

cresto

_dementia said:
Two of the four of us don't even own Xboxes. Splitscreen FTW.
Kinda erks me that you can't to splitscreen online like you were able to in Gears 1. I hope they send out an update to have a "casual mp" and a ranked one. I hate that they threw it all in together.

Competition in gears 1 ranked was so much stronger than unranked. Way to fuck it up epic

cresto

Ken Masters said:
where has the stats page gone? In gears 1 it listed k/d amongst other thigns
Its in the war journal. They give you public and private stats that you can rummage through.

Sectus

Well, lesson for today, King of the Hill has no time limit :p

I played in a public match which started in a way I'm starting to get used to, random leavers. But this time it was a lot worse since my ENTIRE team left, so I ended up fighting 1vs5. To make it worse, this is on River, which is a very open map with a good deal of power weapons (2 sniper rifles, a boomshot, one mortar, several nades).

And the enemy team got the rather sadistic idea to not actually complete the objective at all (they left it at 179 points, one point away from winning), and instead they started waiting for me to spawn so they could hunt me down (usually resulting with them headshotting me 2-3 seconds after I spawned).

If I actually managed to evade the 2 snipers, I'd probably fall into one of the many nade traps placed on the map. If I evaded that, I'd probably meet that one guy moving around with a boomshot or get killed by the random mortar. If I finally evaded all that, I'd get to the house with the objective (guarded by a sniper, I think I managed to do that a total of 3 times, but I was never able to activate the objective). In total, this lasted for 24 minutes and I died... a lot.

It was actually kinda fun in a bizzare way. It felt like I was playing an insanely difficult NES game recreated in the Gears of War 2 engine.

winalot

ShinAmano said:
I have not confirmed this myself, but apparently there is a red 'belly' on the underside that works...and is apparently chainsaw-able.
I've just done a quick search and apparantly you can chainsaw a Reaver from underneath but it only works once and doesn't kill it, it's possibly only killing the driver sitting on top. But the belly does seem to be a weak spot.

ergo said:
Kinda erks me that you can't to splitscreen online like you were able to in Gears 1. I hope they send out an update to have a "casual mp" and a ranked one. I hate that they threw it all in together.

Competition in gears 1 ranked was so much stronger than unranked. Way to fuck it up epic
You have, it's called Player Matches.

Facism

Hellraizer said:
Or that, anyway, you can play split screen online just like in the first one. I have encountered several Gamertag(1) players in private matches.

how do you search for private matches? For the life of me i can't find a a way to find other non-ranked games.

i think you're missing the point of what the issue is with splitscreen online. There is no server browser, no unranked matchmaking. It's all dependant on whether you have friends playing private matches already, or are willing to drop whatever they're currently playing in order to fill up your own private game. You can't 'play splitscreen online just like the first one.' If you could, there would be a browser and searchable games for you join with a guest in tow.

Fuck man. I'm getting frustrated as hell with this game. The multiplayer is making me hate videogames altogether.

1) I still can't figure out how people are crouching and shooting while they walk (not run), how they are rolling and shooting in mid-roll, how they are still fucking running right up to me and killing me in one shotgun blast. This shit is driving me up the goddamn wall. I like to think I'm a pretty good Gears player, but now that I'm up in the 3rd and 4th rank area, everyone is doing this shit and I dont know how. It feels like they're cheating or exploiting something.

2) I played for about 2 hours this morning. Must have been like a dozen games. I'd say teammates quit on me in about 8 of them. It was so infuriating because when you're down 3 to 5 or 2 to 5 you just get dominated. I watch my rank fall and my K/D go to shit. Awesome.

I don't know. Makes me feel like never playing unless I can beg my friends to come with me. So frustrating.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Uno Ill Nino said:
Fuck man. I'm getting frustrated as hell with this game. The multiplayer is making me hate videogames altogether.

1) still fucking running right up to me and killing me in one shotgun blast.
I don't know. Makes me feel like never playing unless I can beg my friends to come with me. So frustrating.

that's basically the entire online experience if you don't have a friends list. I don't play enough to really build one up which is annoying as well.

Isn't the shotgun thing a quick melee followed by a shot?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
after a quick session last night, I guess its confirmed that hammerburst melee totally owns chainsaw? Either that or the host advantage was so powerful it made my chainsaw screw up.

If Epic thinks hammerburst melee is a good counter for a fucking huge chainsaw - they're stupid! Shooting people should lower the chainsaw, melee should not, switch it back EPIC!

I miss unranked matchmaking as well. Being able to search servers was so much better in gears 1, you could find matches where people would choose/disable wepaons to your liking, stay with them for multiple games etc, and friendly fire on.

Played King of the Hill with a couple of gaffers, oh man its so annoying when one guy on the opposition team just runs around collecting all the grenades and tagging up the spawn points and choke areas :lol its a good tactic but man its irritating!

DoomGyver

Chainsaw is a melee, so they counter each other. A little something called balance, which this game is lacking atm.

Chainsaw is already too powerful as it is.

Brakara

kaizoku said:
Played King of the Hill with a couple of gaffers, oh man its so annoying when one guy on the opposition team just runs around collecting all the grenades and tagging up the spawn points and choke areas :lol its a good tactic but man its irritating!

One person can only tag two grenades at a time though. If you tag the third, the first one blows up, and so on.

kaizoku said:
after a quick session last night, I guess its confirmed that hammerburst melee totally owns chainsaw? Either that or the host advantage was so powerful it made my chainsaw screw up.

If Epic thinks hammerburst melee is a good counter for a fucking huge chainsaw - they're stupid! Shooting people should lower the chainsaw, melee should not, switch it back EPIC!

I miss unranked matchmaking as well. Being able to search servers was so much better in gears 1, you could find matches where people would choose/disable wepaons to your liking, stay with them for multiple games etc, and friendly fire on.

I had the complete opposite experience-- I felt the hammerburst melee was gimped compared to the chainsaw...alot of times I would melee someone and they would just stop for half a second, but before I was able to get off any shots or melee again, I would already be chainsawed

unless they somehow snuck in a fix in the last update but I doubt it

Zezboob

Uno Ill Nino said:
1) I still can't figure out how people are crouching and shooting while they walk (not run), how they are rolling and shooting in mid-roll, how they are still fucking running right up to me and killing me in one shotgun blast. This shit is driving me up the goddamn wall. I like to think I'm a pretty good Gears player, but now that I'm up in the 3rd and 4th rank area, everyone is doing this shit and I dont know how. It feels like they're cheating or exploiting something.
Bingo. Boomshield glitch.

So, no words about the new content to be showed on Spike VGA ?
I hope it's a patch. Do you hear it Epic ? Better not be some DLC to buy...

Brakara

Zezboob said:
I hope it's a patch. Do you hear it Epic ? Better not be some DLC to buy...

I'm down for some more Horde content. Besides, it's not like it's the same people who are working on the DLC as who are working (or even can work) on the patch.

CitizenCope said:
No.10 is by far the worst for me.
Fall into the frozen lake. >=(

Take. It. Slow. I had absolutely no problems with that section.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:

I'm with you on this one. Server browsing was one of the few things that GoW1 did right. I hate, hate, HATE Halo 3 matchmaking, especially when people leave a match. The time it takes to start looking for a game to when your actually playing might take upwards of 5 minutes, a process you have to repeat everytime you start a new game. I don't understand what was bad about server-browsers, as they were quick and easy ways to play the EXACT mode and map you wanted, as well as allowing you to join a match already in progress.

Zezboob

Brakara said:
I'm down for some more Horde content. Besides, it's not like it's the same people who are working on the DLC as who are working (or even can work) on the patch.
Wait, there is people working on a patch ? So why Epic doesn't fucking communicate about it ?! :D

Now, jokes aside, it's more an ethic problem. It would be kind of shameful to sell some DLC when the original game isn't even finished.
And I believe that any DLC should be tested, and Epic should concentrate all their efforts on a definitive patch. Epic already delivered some broken patch for Gears 1.
And I am pretty sure that there is a lot of people working on DLC that would be able to work on a patch (of course graphics designer and stuff are not concerned).

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
JimtotheHum said:
I had the complete opposite experience-- I felt the hammerburst melee was gimped compared to the chainsaw...alot of times I would melee someone and they would just stop for half a second, but before I was able to get off any shots or melee again, I would already be chainsawed

unless they somehow snuck in a fix in the last update but I doubt it

I don't know but multiple times I was right on top of some guy with a chainsaw and he just melees me and downs me with some shots.

I found it really annoying, yes the chainsaw is far overpowered, but the counter should not be hammerburst melee then fire/melee again. a) why only the hammerburst? and b) why the hell does melee cancel out chainsaw?

It should be like gears 1 - fire to lower chainsaw then melee for an easy takedown (easy because someone has taken a risk going for the instant-kill chainsaw.) Pistols used to be awesome for when a guy was running at your with a chainsaw. Fire, whip, kill.

Another thing I find irritating is melee is abit gimped like you say. In the old game if someone was rushing with a shotgun and all you had was a sniper, you could melee him twice and down him. Now, it feels like if you melee, your animation goes on for longer than their stun animation, meaning you're actually the vulnerable one!

I wasn't able to rev my chainsaw in time to avoid death but your story doesn't surprise me, but I've melee'd people only to have them recover and gib me before I've finished my damn swing.

maybe its just my imagination.

Will be gearing tonight if anyone's gonna be on. Feel like killing some things

Brakara said:
Take. It. Slow. I had absolutely no problems with that section.
It only took me 4 or 5 times but still frustrating. The slow tactic did not work for me. A mortar would land right next to me and I would suffer a very cold and wet death. The time I got through was a combination of luck and never hitting the breaks.:lol

h3ro

I hope the new content is sponsored by someone... not really in the mood of dropping 800 (+?) points for new maps, regardless of how awesome horde would be on them...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Scarecrow said:
Man, I blow pretty hard. I'm trying to do some Wingman, and only once has my partner NOT quit out on me. :(

I haven't tried wingman with real people yet. I played with bots and that was not good.

Zezboob

Domino Theory said:
LOL, they're not going to announce a patch at a Game Show.

It's going to be DLC; new maps that you will end up buying regardless. :p
Yeah I know, it was just an opportunity for me to rant again :D

The DLC probably includes the imulsion map leaked two weeks ago.

But I am sure to download the maps only because I have some free MSpoints to use :D

Aladuf and I tested the whole chainsaw deal the other night in a private match. The chainsaw was lowered under these circumstances: three HB shots, four Snub shots, and oddly enough one Gnasher shot. We tested this both while standing still and running at the other player. Also as long as the chainsaw wasn't fully revved we were able to melee right out of it.

So I finally beat the campaign and it was fucking brilliant. Easily one of the best single player experiences I've had this gen. And it rocks in co-op.

Wingman is brilliant, gameplay is tweaked to perfection, love horde mode, great map design, score is out of this world (sets a bar that all cinematic scores should live up to).

All in all, this is my GOTY pick unless Prince Of Persia hits one out of the park.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any tips for playing online? I honestly haven't played Gears online much at all (either version) and, from what I've tried, I just don't know how to approach it at this point. I seem to die immediately from...something. I honestly don't know how they kill me so fast nor do I know how to attack. It's nothing like single player. Everyone seems to run around jumping side to side, throwing grenades, and hitting people with the shotgun and melee attacks. I'd like to get into it, but it seems that I've entered the party too late.

Chinner said:
Terrible. Just terrible. They claim that the voice acting in Gears 2 is bad. Thats so off the mark that its not even funny.

Everything Dom said in Gears 2 was really bad. I wanted to enjoy it, but man he was bad. I can't even pick Dom anymore because of how lame it makes him seem. I still love the game, but the voice acting really needs work to get it to the level of the visuals.

Chinner

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:
Everything Dom said in Gears 2 was really bad. I wanted to enjoy it, but man he was bad. I can't even pick Dom anymore because of how lame it makes him seem. I still love the game, but the voice acting really needs work to get it to the level of the visuals.
You're confused. You've got a problem with the script, not the voice acting.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
ThirdEngine said:
Aladuf and I tested the whole chainsaw deal the other night in a private match. The chainsaw was lowered under these circumstances: three HB shots, four Snub shots, and oddly enough one Gnasher shot. We tested this both while standing still and running at the other player. Also as long as the chainsaw wasn't fully revved we were able to melee right out of it.

I did this test pre-patch, got the same results as you - shottie always stunned a revving chainsaw in one shot for me when there was no lag, which was why you never saw me complaining about the shotgun...

Same deal with the HB, which is my main gun...

Chinner said:
You're confused. You've got a problem with the script, not the voice acting.

Same here - if you have a problem with the script, sure - but the voice acting is superb - everyone has character, brought out so strongly that you know their personality and what they would say in a certain situation...

Can't even think of another game that gave me that feeling...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ToyMachine228 said:
Is it confirmed that Epic is going to be at the show? That'd be sick if they showed off some new maps.

New Gears of War 2 content is confirmed to be shown off at the SpikeTV VG Awards December 14th. Not sure if we'll have someone from Epic go on stage to talk about it.

To Zezboob: I'm thinking they'll probably bring a huge title update along with the DLC, but the title update will be announced on their forums, not on-stage. :p

ThirdEngine said:

If it was you two only then one of you were hosting (whoever started the private match) so the person who wasn't hosting was trying those methods to down the chainsaw, right? If not then you're doing it wrong. :p

Zezboob

dark10x said:
Any tips for playing online? (..) I'd like to get into it, but it seems that I've entered the party too late.
It's never too late IMO, specially if you're used to shooters.
First you need to know the maps, the weapons location and all. Start playing with bots on local match, it's a good start for it.
Second thing, a bit more specific to Gears, try to never stay alone. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, trying to surprise the enemy or because you are good at duels or have a strong weapon; play as a team.

And when you're dead, use the spectator mode to watch how people play. =)

Well... everything I wrote seems so obvious... hope it can help anyways :D

Top Bottom