• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Danthrax said:
So I finally beat the campaign and I've moved on to trying to play multiplayer.

Key word is trying. Is anyone actually online in Gears 2 or am I the only one? I've been sitting here in matchmaking forever.

oh there are people playing. it's just that epic managed to fuck up gears mp AGAIN.

this time with slow as molasses matchmaking.

idk what the recent update was supposed to do but if it was for the painfully slow matchmaking they failed.

So it seems in the week I took off from Gears that the Boomshield glitch has been found out by.. everyone?

damn you'd think epic would have at least not had weapon glitches in gears 2 as well :lol

NG28

Is there a GAF friends list somewhere for Gears2? I really want to actually complete Horde, instead of playing with randoms who quit all the time.

I'm getting sick to death of being put into a match with foreigners. The lag makes the game unplayable, and I am forced to quit.

Epic really have to get their shit together.

I'm not sure having execution rules was ever a good idea. Considering the questionable usefulness of the lancer/hammerburst normally, making an entire ruleset that marginalizes them further seems silly. I've been in 5 second execution matches with people who complain about how much the shotgun dominates. It seems like there's this huge logical disconnect between what they want and what they choose.

Although choice is never a bad thing. But seriously some people just don't know whats good for themselves.

just beat this game on casual, and it was awesome,. if you want someone that sucks but beat it on casual,. add me 'scottlarock904' I'm not that bad.

Scarecrow

I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with matchmaking. Oddly enough, I was able to study more for my finals playing Gears than not playing due to this bullshit.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Aladuf said:
So it seems in the week I took off from Gears that the Boomshield glitch has been found out by.. everyone? I played 6 total Wingman matches with Third earlier tonight and 5 out of those 6 times we encountered someone using that glitch with their shotty out just mowing though people. The only reason I'm sure it wasn't used in the one match was because the Boomshield wasn't on the map, and even that match was fucked up because we had 2 Theron Guard teams and 2 Marcus teams. This game's glitches and the guys that endlessly exploit them for the "hurr, easy win" can seriously fuck off.

Guess I'll just forget about Gears again, it's not so hard to do these days with the amount of bullshit.

That glitch is awesome on Horde though.

Feindflug

ToyMachine228 said:
I haven't been motivated to play Gears 2 lately and after playing a few games tonight, I think I figured out why. And really, it's because I get sick and tired of killing people with the Shotgun. That's seriously it. I LOVE the Lancer as a gun. I like the way it feels, like the way it sounds, and yet it just doesn't compete with bum-rushing someone and blowing them in half with the Shotgun, strategy wise.

I think Epic really wanted to slow down Gears 2 multiplayer a bit and make it about using cover, and about covering your teammates flanks, but it didn't happen. Once again, we're left with a Shotgun fest. And don't get me wrong, Gears 2 multiplayer IS fun. It's just not as good as it could be. It just loses it's luster after a while when all you do is throw Smokes, gib with the Shotgun, and demolish with grenades, which is basically what the game is right now.

QFT! The Lancer is really weak especially if you're lagging against a shotgun, I've caught myself a lot of times shooting a guy with the Lancer in the chest and gets me down with two shotgun shots - stopping power my ass, he got half of my clip on his chest and I ended up dead...I still haven't used the Hammerburst to be honest but Lancer is weak as hell right now.

And of course things are much worse in public matches because of the bullet lag.

Dosia

Feindflug said:
QFT! The Lancer is really weak especially if you're lagging against a shotgun, I've caught myself a lot of times shooting a guy with the Lancer in the chest and gets me down with two shotgun shots - stopping power my ass, he got half of my clip on his chest and I ended up dead...I still haven't used the Hammerburst to be honest but Lancer is weak as hell right now.

And of course things are much worse in public matches because of the bullet lag.

In a match with little to no lag the hammberburst is good. Unfortunately matches with little to no lag rarely occur so it is better to have a lancer so you can at least chainsaw the enemy. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
NutJobJim said:
To be honet I suck at the game as well :lol
At least I suck compared to Gears1. My K/D is like 0.8 and I do find it frustrating some of the time, but I still enjoy playing it

That's just how fun the game is - the nature of the gore being unlike anything else out there makes it fun even when you die with the way you exploded or just that you know everyone else in the room who already died was watching it...

My k/d ratio is 1.36 which is why you don't see me complaining at all, but in Gears 1 I would complain when the chainsaw there (the TRUE vaccuum chainsaw when laggy) would feel like it literally suck me in, but I haven't had that feeling at all here - when I die in Gears 2 I felt that it was my fault...

If you still enjoy it when you die, it's a sign that you truly love the game...

Aladuf said:
That was more of me just being frustrated one night, Gears 2 did that to me a lot.. but last time I checked my leaderboards I'm over 1.0 k/d in every Private/Public gametype.

I wonder what ThirdEngine's k/d is in Private Execution nowadays? It was about 3.3 or so last week and he was about 175 in the world! :lol

Ah okay, my bad! :lol

You can see stats for Private matches also? As far as I know, it's Ranked only...

And if you see anyone with an insanely-high Ranked k/d ratio, that's because it includes matchmaking Horde as well - I never played Horde in matchmaking which is why my Ranked k/d is accurate to actual battles...

EazyB

Banned
Out of curiosity I checked my Gears 2 stats just now:

K/D 1.18
Total Kills: 260
Chainsaw kills: 213

This game makes me smile

whitehawk

Banned
My god, I loved Gears 1, but there's so much bullshit in Gears 2

- Get rid of the knocking down with the smoke, or at least reduce the area that it effects.
- FIX MATCHMAKING
- Stop matching me with foreigners or picking bad hosts
- The chainsaw is way too powerful
- Fix the boomshield glitch
- wheny you are knocked down, sometimes it takes longer for you to get up compared to the other person, like 3 seconds, and you are just murdered.
- Also, when knocked down, you should be able to get up on the stairs instead of keep falling down
- Fix the netcode in general
- The cover system is fucked, sometimes I will jump over cover, and it will warp me back to where i started
- Whenever i picked up a grenade, hold backwards while this is happening and then try to jump backwards, it makes me jump forwards, which makes me go towards the enemy. This wasnt a problem in gears 1 wtf

I hate this game, but It's so awesome.

Rad Agast

I've been playing this since release and have enjoyed the story mode a lot (minor bugs here and there but nothing major). Horde is amazing and it's the main mode I play.

I'm pissed off at Epic/Microsoft though. I can't download the damned Flashback Map Pack (this download is not available in your location bullshit). What the hell should I do to get this sorted? I found out on the official forums that others from different countries are having the same problem! MS needs to fix this problem with M rated downloads not being available to countries who don't support an age rating system.

Aaaaargh.

Any ways, fun game but I just wanted to vent for a bit.

Rad Agast said:
I've been playing this since release and have enjoyed the story mode a lot (minor bugs here and there but nothing major). Horde is amazing and it's the main mode I play.

I'm pissed off at Epic/Microsoft though. I can't download the damned Flashback Map Pack (this download is not available in your location bullshit). What the hell should I do to get this sorted? I found out on the official forums that others from different countries are having the same problem! MS needs to fix this problem with M rated downloads not being available to countries who don't support an age rating system.

Aaaaargh.

Any ways, fun game but I just wanted to vent for a bit.
I know you still want them but they all kind of suck.

Fun game, people cheat, lag isn't as bad as everyone says it is, shotgun reticule is really the same size as the lancer, etc.

That is all.

Looks like MS have finally started advertising Gears 2 on the TV in the UK, I've now seen it about 5 times over the weekend (nothing beats the advertisements for Lips/YITM though....every freaking break I swear...).

Unfortunately the ad loses some of its impact when its cuts down into what appears to be a 20 second spot... :(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
EazyB said:
Out of curiosity I checked my Gears 2 stats just now:

K/D 1.18
Total Kills: 260
Chainsaw kills: 213

This game makes me smile

You should be ashamed.

K/D 1.41
Total Kills: 759
Chainsaw Kills: 140
Perfect Active Reload/Active Reloads: 2,179/2,442
Longest Kill Streak: 11 (Thermite remembers this one :lol)

Zzoram

I didn't think I was going to get this but somehow ended up buying it anyways. Still a good time split-screen, will keep for Horde.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
You should be ashamed.

K/D 1.41
Total Kills: 759
Chainsaw Kills: 140
Perfect Active Reload/Active Reloads: 2,179/2,442
Longest Kill Streak: 11 (Thermite remembers this one :lol)

Your chainsaw kills to kill ratio is embarassing

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

Rad Agast

ILOSTMYBOX said:
I know you still want them but they all kind of suck.

Fun game, people cheat, lag isn't as bad as everyone says it is, shotgun reticule is really the same size as the lancer, etc.

That is all.

1) I mostly play Gears mp with friends only (usually LAN) and that have been the case since the first one.

2) I want the damn maps that I paid for.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better about this though ;-)

Gig

Aladuf said:
You glitch against AI opponents?

Just the Boomshield glitch, it really helps out on wave ten, and shitty maps like Ruins and Stasis.

Evonus said:
well at least you're only ruining the game for yourself

What?!! How does occasionally using a glitch (that has numerous drawbacks) ruin the game?

KevinRo

damn i've been playing the multiplayer just to get the achievement. now i'm playing for real.

still.. ughh

Play Record
Games Played 182
Wins 98
Losses 84
Win/Loss Ratio 1.17
Kills 1,489
Deaths 1,057
Kill/Death Ratio 1.41
Assists 832
Revives 70

Weapon Details
Most Kills Gnasher Shotgun

Kill Details
Executions 337
Headshots 98
Gibs 821
Longest Kill Streak 69
Chainsaw Kills 135
Melee Kills 108
Martyr Attempts 7
Martyr Kills 11

Aladuf

Banned
The stats on gears.com haven't changed for me since I last checked about 2 weeks ago.. wtf? It still says I've only played for 1 day 7 hours, lol. I had that much playtime on the Monday after Gears 2 came out.

I'm done with the game, until a significant patch comes. I highly doubt what I deem problems with the game, will be patched. I need to find a new MP game. I'm hoping Killzone can fill the void. Not going to hold my breath though.. :/

Gig

Aladuf said:
The stats on gears.com haven't changed for me since I last checked about 2 weeks ago.. wtf? It still says I've only played for 1 day 7 hours, lol. I had that much playtime on the Monday after Gears 2 came out.

How close are you to getting your seriously 2.0 achievement?

I just want the shotgun randomness fixed. Outside of that, the game is pretty fun. There is still an issue with lag, but I can overlook that if we can just make the shot not be either amazing overpowered or incredibly weak and innaccurate.

Aladuf

Banned
Gig said:
How close are you to getting your seriously 2.0 achievement?
Not even close, since 99% of my time has been multiplayer Execution, I've only got 8,300 kills. I haven't messed with Horde since the first time I beat it, and while I did campaign twice, I doesn't really throw too many kills at you.

Gig

Aladuf said:
Not even close, since 99% of my time has been multiplayer Execution, I've only got 8,300 kills. I haven't messed with Horde since the first time I beat it, and while I did campaign twice, I doesn't really throw too many kills at you.

Yeah, all I have been playing is Horde and I'm not even a fifth of the way there.

Snowden

Banned
Gig said:
What?!! How does occasionally using a glitch (that has numerous drawbacks) ruin the game?
If you're using it to get past something you couldn't have easily gotten through without cheating, I feel it takes a lot out of the fun.

Its your experience to have though.

Gig

Evonus said:
If you're using it to get past something you couldn't have easily gotten through without cheating, I feel it takes a lot out of the fun.

Its your experience to have though.

Hey, the game cheats to with all it's bugs and glitches, this just helps even out the score.

Top Bottom