• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Aladuf said:
He was talking about the original Gears 1 map pack.

i know which is why i edited my post.

ToyMachine228 said:
OK, I change my petition...Take Smoke Grenades out of RESPAWN game-types. How's that? In Warzone and Execution I don't mind them as much anyway. Don't call me out for being a shitty player when I don't like an aspect of the gameplay in a certain gametype.

i hope they don't take smokes out because i've gotten use to the way gears 2 plays and i like them

Chinner

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
OK, I change my petition...Take Smoke Grenades out of RESPAWN game-types. How's that? In Warzone and Execution I don't mind them as much anyway. Don't call me out for being a shitty player when I don't like an aspect of the gameplay in a certain gametype.
Dunno who posted it, but someone posted what the best the stpes would be to fix the smoke grenade/grenade tagging problem in general:
  • Make grenade tags disappear when you die.
  • Put a half a second exploding detonation time once the grenade tag has been detonated.
  • Halve the area of detection/affection and explosion of a tagged grenade and smoke grenades.
  • Make it so that smoke grenades are able to detonate any other grenades placed near them.
  • Should be easier to make them detonate by shooting them.
  • Increase grenade respawn times

whitehawk

Banned
Chinner said:
Dunno who posted it, but someone posted what the best the stpes would be to fix the smoke grenade/grenade tagging problem in general:
  • Make grenade tags disappear when you die.
  • Put a half a second exploding detonation time once the grenade tag has been detonated.
  • Halve the area of detection/affection and explosion of a tagged grenade and smoke grenades.
  • Make it so that smoke grenades are able to detonate any other grenades placed near them.
    [*]Should be easier to make them detonate by shooting them.
  • Increase grenade respawn times
As long as it's not like 2 shots by the lancer. They made it hard to destroy it because someone could accidentally shoot it in a fight. They want to people to destroy it only if they know its there and are purposely shooting it.

jdub03

I think a better solution would be to split the smoke into two different grenades(stun and smoke). Then you would spawn with smokes, like in the original. If you eliminate spawns with smoke grenades, then you'd either have grenades or inks. Spammage of those wouldn't be any better. Personally I like it how it is. I think the amount of time it takes you to get up after being smoked needs to be shortened.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
smokes can be bearable if you go in expecting that kind of gameplay, very wham bam.

gears however is about tense standoffs, using cover, vying over the tiniest advantage and smokes breaks that mechanic completely.

If you're a sniper and its you vs two others with lancers, you're not out of the game by any means. If you get the advantage in terms of location, and you have the skill with the sniper, you can take two guys out. Conversely if the two guys work together, maybe flanking, maybe covering fire, using cover wisely, you can take him out. Its a game of skill and strategy.

however that doesn't happen, because the two guys rush the one guy with smokes, chainsaws and shotguns and he's fucking screwed unless he still had a smoke and planted it somewhere, by then they're too close so you just pull out yoru shotgun or run away. thats lame, in the ideal firefight, if you're a soldier and you know theres a sniper in a window, you are gonna be very careful to not stick your head out for more than a second. you're gonna be sneaking around, get him to lose track of where you are, etc.

Point is, thats a fucking ludicrous reliance on a smoke grenade and it determines the whole outcome/approach of the game.

smokes being the way they are, they really need to restore the sniper active reload takedown. Cos a guy could be charging at you and a couple of active reload snipers take ages and dont do jack.

Mr. Durden said:
Yeah I'm sure boycotting helps, maybe Epic will just give them for free if they see 30 people on GAF won't download i!

Well, complaining about here doesn't really help, just venting really. But not buying it always helps. Voting with your wallet is the only thing that matters.

kaizoku said:
Smoke complaints

I still think the problem is not with the smokes themselves, but in the nature of the map design. Since the power weapons are so important, you have to rush em. Since everyone is rushing these open locations, the smoke is an obviously effective tactic. If they were to remove the clusterfuck at the center, I don't think the smoke would be as big a problem.

The smoke in Gears 1 was largely inconsequential, and making it useful was a good decision I feel, but has been twisted by the map design and proximity traps into something bad.

Tomcat

Just make smoke grenades like in gears 1 and the gameplay will be better. And dont forget that they are responsible for many glitches

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Have these been posted? Flood looks awesome.

GOLD RUSH

3110474683_cb4068ea2d_o.jpg

3110474485_b8831fc012_o.jpg

FUEL STATION

3110474247_8d8cea84cc_o.jpg

3111307226_8a15a6ffb6_o.jpg

FLOOD

3111307068_ff010b2ff5_o.jpg

3110473541_99579ea0d0_o.jpg

Aladuf

Banned
I've been wondering something else about smokes too..

When playing a gametype that requires people to get a close up kill or a 1 hit kill, why is it that I can be knocked down by a smoke and then Lancer spray from across the map just instantly kills me while I'm trying to stand up?

Aladuf said:
I've been wondering something else about smokes too..

When playing a gametype that requires people to get a close up kill or a 1 hit kill, why is it that I can be knocked down by a smoke and then Lancer spray from across the map just instantly kills me while I'm trying to stand up?
you just have to adapt bro

I'm fine with the smoke grenades, BUT (as I said before) they need to get rid of the buggy ragdolls. A short pre-canned animation would be a lot more reliable and tolerable.

Feindflug said:
LMAO @ the people defending Gears 2 mp...the smoke/frag grenade wall tagging wouldn't be such a problem if the bullet lag wasn't so horrible, the pathetic netcode is the biggest problem with the game.
The actual netcode is fine and has been improved of 1's. Matchmaking sadly has the tendency to pair you with the wrong kind of hosts however, so I expect the online experience to noticeably improve once / if they add search filters.

WILTRON

Neo Member
I take back my comment about Flood being lame. I played a few more rounds and there's more to it than I thought. Three solid maps, IMHO.

Frester

Fuckin' Christ, I can't even finish a Wingman game because all the little bitches losing keep quitting.

Scratch that, can't finish any game! :mad:((((

kaizoku

PedroLumpy said:
Well, complaining about here doesn't really help, just venting really. But not buying it always helps. Voting with your wallet is the only thing that matters.

I still think the problem is not with the smokes themselves, but in the nature of the map design. Since the power weapons are so important, you have to rush em. Since everyone is rushing these open locations, the smoke is an obviously effective tactic. If they were to remove the clusterfuck at the center, I don't think the smoke would be as big a problem.

The smoke in Gears 1 was largely inconsequential, and making it useful was a good decision I feel, but has been twisted by the map design and proximity traps into something bad.

the clusterfuck has nothing to do with the example I gave though does it? which is a valid example of smokes breaking what used to be a really cool thing about the game.

nor is it an excuse, I mean you get a certain set of tools and they define a players approach to a game and a map. Power weapons were much more influential in the last game and everyone rushed there then too, except there were various tactics involved in actually getting the weapon. So often in gears 1 you would have a standoff and one guy would get impatient, rush in, pick the weapon up and die. Othertimes you would see players employ novel tactics to flank or outwit the enemy to pick up the weapon and gain advantage. You NEVER EVER see that now.

What happens now is everyone rushes in, smokes and chainsaws everywhere, its a huge clusterfuck, a bunch of people die and thats basically half the round over within the first 20 seconds. The rest involves the team with most people left hunting down the scraps. Whats the point of the power weapon exactly? The sniper is almost useless in any PvP mode on any of the new maps because you pin down absolutely no one except a rival sniper. If anything if you pick up a sniper, unless a teammate is backing you up, you're at a disadvantage due to the way the maps are built.

Honestly, who has seen anyone pull off an awesome flanking manouvre on an opposing team? I have never seen that in gears 2, largely because you don't get standoffs anymore.

Anyone who has been paintballing, thats as close to a real firefight as most of us are gonna get, cliffy said it was the inspiration for gears of war, but gears 2 is nothing like paintballing.

The game has changed in a way I don't think EPIC wanted, I think they made some mistakes and will try to correct them. The game as it is, matchmaking aside, is still playable, still fun in its own way but its definitely a step back from their vision I think. Thats all my point is, just trying to deconstruct where I think they veered from their intended track.

Feindflug

Aladuf said:
What does grenade tagging have to do with lag? And I still don't know what 1995 internet connection people are using if they have such unbearable lag in every match they play.

1. Maybe I was misunderstood, I meant that the smoke/grenade wall tagging "problem" is nothing compared to the bullet lag.
2. Where did I say that I have unbearable lag in every match I play?
3. What's with that comment about the 1995 connection? I didn't expect such a reaction from you Aladuf...anyway I live in Greece and my connection is 10MB/1MB, I'm sure it's not a 1995 connection but when I'm playing with people from the US the lag is unbearable - and of course with other games such as Halo 3 and COD4/5 things are much better...the problem with Gears 2 is that the games are uneven - for example one time I'm hosting or play with people from Europe and everything's fine but in the next match I'm playing with guys from Texas for example and my character is stucking and teleporting...and playing with people from the US is not that rare.

Frester said:
Fuckin' Christ, I can't even finish a Wingman game because all the little bitches losing keep quitting.

Scratch that, can't finish any game! :mad:((((

jesus, so what's the over/under on this dropping another rung on Major Nelson's UU list tomorrow?

kaizoku

Feindflug said:
1. Maybe I was misunderstood, I meant that the smoke/grenade wall tagging "problem" is nothing compared to the bullet lag.
3. What's with that comment about the 1995 connection? I didn't expect such a reaction from you Aladuf...anyway I live in Greece and my connection is 10MB/1MB, I'm sure it's not a 1995 connection but when I'm playing with people from the US the lag is unbearable - and of course with other games such as Halo 3 and COD4/5 things are much better...the problem with Gears 2 is that the games are uneven - for example one time I'm hosting or play with people from Europe and everything's fine but in the next match I'm playing with guys from Texas for example and my character is stucking and teleporting...and playing with people from the US is not that rare.

qft. I often play with american gaffers and its fun but you do have to put up with shitty lag and you tend to come out looking like a shit player. When its public matches, it just feels like an injustice, but thats just swings and roundabouts to me, part of online gaming isnt it?

kaizoku said:
nor is it an excuse, I mean you get a certain set of tools and they define a players approach to a game and a map. Power weapons were much more influential in the last game and everyone rushed there then too, except there were various tactics involved in actually getting the weapon. So often in gears 1 you would have a standoff and one guy would get impatient, rush in, pick the weapon up and die. Othertimes you would see players employ novel tactics to flank or outwit the enemy to pick up the weapon and gain advantage. You NEVER EVER see that now.

What happens now is everyone rushes in, smokes and chainsaws everywhere, its a huge clusterfuck, a bunch of people die and thats basically half the round over within the first 20 seconds. The rest involves the team with most people left hunting down the scraps. Whats the point of the power weapon exactly? The sniper is almost useless in any PvP mode on any of the new maps because you pin down absolutely no one except a rival sniper. If anything if you pick up a sniper, unless a teammate is backing you up, you're at a disadvantage due to the way the maps are built.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. Except I blame the weapon placement, not the smokes. I kinda prefer the River, Tyro station setups where both teams get a power weapon, and then fight.

kaizoku said:
Anyone who has been paintballing, thats as close to a real firefight as most of us are gonna get, cliffy said it was the inspiration for gears of war, but gears 2 is nothing like paintballing.

To quote Cliff from the Gears 1 manual, which I assume you are referring to:

Cliff said:
... Perhaps it was then that I thought about how most shooters play. They're not like real firefights. Circle strafing, jumping around -- these elements have felt alien to me for the last few years...

Obviously anyone having played Gears 1 or 2 probably sees something mildly humorous, as circle strafing and rolling around were the way to play. Which brings us to what you say here

kaizoku said:
The game has changed in a way I don't think EPIC wanted, I think they made some mistakes and will try to correct them. ... but its definitely a step back from their vision I think. Thats all my point is, just trying to deconstruct where I think they veered from their intended track.

I watched the 20ish multiplayer videos they put out (on gametrailers I believe) before the release of Gears 1. There was the game that Mr. Bleszinski had dreamed of. People taking cover, no bumrush to nadetag or shotgun. Of course then it was released to the public, and they found the best ways to kill people real quickly. All of Epic's playtesters apparently didn't see it coming. And to be fair, who knows how many playtesters it would have taken to find this out. So perhaps it's none too surprising that the balance does not reflect the vision yet again in Gears 2. I'm sure Cliff would love to make that game, but it's not easy. Things balance out in ways you never see coming.

kaizoku said:
the clusterfuck has nothing to do with the example I gave though does it? which is a valid example of smokes breaking what used to be a really cool thing about the game.

Well, I suppose I would disagree. If two guys can rush you with smoke nades before you can blow their heads off, well, seems fair to me. But this is just one small detail overall, I agree with most everything else you said.

And capitalize your posts. Have pride in your thoughts/opinions, if they're important enough to type down, then they're important enough to type down right. Show some respect for your words, it'll help everyone else show respect for them too.

Aladuf

Banned
Feindflug said:
1. Gotcha
2. You never did say that, it's just a build up of people I've seen on here or wherever talking about the lag and it just seems like their Gears experience is they have more laggy matches than they do non-laggy matches which is just something I've not had an issue with.
3. The 1995 internet comment was just going back to the laggy part. I didn't realize you were from Greece, and hell, maybe the people that I've seen around here making comments about matches being pretty laggy are from Europe, etc. and that's what's killing their fun. My bad if the comments seemed out of line for...me, but this thread is turning into one big shitfest lately and I'm just reacting how I feel I have to towards some of these posts. :/

Snowden

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Exactly. I hope none of you that are actually deriding others for abstaining from purchase on a matter of principle are the same ones that act as if one person's vote/voice is worthless. As a single person, yes, my ten dollars is a drop in the pond. No one at Epic will lose sleep over it. I don't expect them to. It makes me feel better to know that I'm standing by a position. I don't want to put any more money into this game until the problems are addressed to my satisfaction. That's really not a hard thing to understand.

If enough people follow that same line of thinking (and it is up to every individual to decide for themselves how they want to approach this), it does add up. Enough people seem to have taken a break from Gears 2 to have it drop in the weekly Live activity standings. If the number of people that are disinterested in pay for a map pack before the game itself is patched hold off, it will be noted, and, one hopes, it might help show Epic in the future how there will be fallout when they don't deliver on something. Its fantastic that Cliff says they're all burning the midnight oil on fixing the numerous issues, but that doesn't make the game play better in the interim. I can understand the reality of the situation as it stands without simply giving them a pass on the problems that are continuing for right now.

I haven't written off the game or the studio by any means. I look forward to seeing their hard work on a patch come through and make me want to play this game again. And when I want to play, I'll want to try out these new maps too. Everybody wins.

In short, I don't bag on people for buying the maps. I expect the same courtesy. Shitty discussion goes both ways. Rise above.

mm04

bigGIRLSblouse said:
I assume Horde works on the new maps correct? That alone is worth the price for me :D

Any opinions yet on if these maps are good for Horde mode? I don't really play competitive MP with Gears 2 but I play Horde mode a lot w/friends and family.

F#A#Oo

Banned
kaizoku said:
cant find a game tonight. any private games on? been 15 mins now

Me and Ash21uk will be on in a few minutes...we need a middleman to play MP together...Xbox Live seems to not like us playing together and living 10 miles apart. I called MS regardng it and their not aware of why we can't play...:D

Brakara

mm04 said:
Any opinions yet on if these maps are good for Horde mode? I don't really play competitive MP with Gears 2 but I play Horde mode a lot w/friends and family.

Fuel Station and Gold Rush seem to be in particular well suited for Horde. But I've only tried the maps solo since Epic in their infinite wisdom didn't provide a playlist for Horde with the new maps. And the chances of being teamed up with 4 other people who also have the maps, as well as one of these maps being selected for voting, and actually win the vote, are for all practical reasons close to zero. So that was $10 down the drain for me (damn me for being weak and buying them).

But if you have friends to play them with, then go for it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Brakara said:
Fuel Station and Gold Rush seem to be in particular well suited for Horde. But I've only tried the maps solo since Epic in their infinite wisdom didn't provide a playlist for Horde with the new maps. And the chances of being teamed up with 4 other people who also have the maps, as well as one of these maps being selected for voting, and actually win the vote, are for all practical reasons close to zero. So that was $10 down the drain for me (damn me for being weak and buying them).

But if you have friends to play them with, then go for it.

This is the problem with DLC...

Personally I would buy the DLC IF and WHEN Epic get around to releasing the patch and I'm satisfied with the fixes. Historically though these patches/fixes tend to result in other problems surfacing so...it's just a case of Epic getting the game to a satisfactory level.

It suprising to hear the amount of people complain about lag because I have yet to really experience any in
the game. Aside from the initial wait time to get in a match(Which seems like its gotten a lot better lately)
everything seems to run perfectly fine for me.

Also to you hella good Gears players.
I die a fu@#$ ton to guys rolling around with a shotgun. They just roll all over the damn place and turn
me to bits. Are they aiming for my head immediately as they come out of the roll? I keep trying to master
it but it probably looks like I am playing the game with my feet.

Brakara

F#A#Oo said:
This is the problem with DLC...

Personally I would buy the DLC IF and WHEN Epic get around to releasing the patch and I'm satisfied with the fixes. Historically though these patches/fixes tend to result in other problems surfacing so...it's just a case of Epic getting the game to a satisfactory level.

I'm not really waiting for a patch though, since public Horde has been flawless for me for the past couple of weeks (no lag, fast and decent/good matchmaking). The problem with the DLC is that it's worthless if you're, like me, mainly playing public Horde. It could've easily been solved with a new Horde playlist, but for some reason Epic hasn't provided one. And I have absolutely no idea why. All I know is that the maps are good, but there's no way for me to play them (outside Horde solo).

F#A#Oo said:
Me and Ash21uk will be on in a few minutes...we need a middleman to play MP together...Xbox Live seems to not like us playing together and living 10 miles apart. I called MS regardng it and their not aware of why we can't play...:D
Sounds like both of you have issues with your NAT settings; that's usually the case if two people can't connect to one another from my experience. Run the network settings test on your Xbox 360 and see what results both of you get. It should be Open if you want to have an optimal online gaming condition.

DoomGyver

F#A#Oo said:

Aladuf and I have the exact same problem, NAT's are open.

Only thing we can think of is a conflict with our ISPs.

Aladuf, ThirdEngine, Full Recovery, or any cool dude who posts here, I'll have time to play Gears 2 with you all over the next two weeks. I'll make up for all the lost time, I promise!

Flunkie

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Aladuf and I have the exact same problem, NAT's are open.

Only thing we can think of is a conflict with our ISPs.
I have that with a lot of my friends on XBL. Aladuf is one of them.

JimiNutz

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
It suprising to hear the amount of people complain about lag because I have yet to really experience any in
the game. Aside from the initial wait time to get in a match(Which seems like its gotten a lot better lately)
everything seems to run perfectly fine for me.

Also to you hella good Gears players.
I die a fu@#$ ton to guys rolling around with a shotgun. They just roll all over the damn place and turn
me to bits. Are they aiming for my head immediately as they come out of the roll? I keep trying to master
it but it probably looks like I am playing the game with my feet.

Gears is crafty is disguising lag-your caharacter can appear to be moving just fine but it's your bullets you need to worry about.
Next time you start a round of MP aim your shotgun at a wall, fire, and see how long it takes to register the hit.

If it's instant you've probably got host and you can roll around shotgunning people to shit with no problems-it doesn't really require skill, just roll in their general direction LT+RT=big pile of guts (IF you have host)

If there's a slight delay you will probably be ok using the shotgun against most other players, but 9/10 times the host will rape you with it even though you shot him first, or more than twice.

If it takes like 1-3 seconds before the shotgun blasts register on the wall...good luck using the shotgun :lol

NutJobJim said:
Gears is crafty is disguising lag-your caharacter can appear to be moving just fine but it's your bullets you need to worry about.
Next time you start a round of MP aim your shotgun at a wall, fire, and see how long it takes to register the hit.

If it's instant you've probably got host and you can roll around shotgunning people to shit with no problems-it doesn't really require skill, just roll in their general direction LT+RT=big pile of guts (IF you have host)

If there's a slight delay you will probably be ok using the shotgun against most other players, but 9/10 times the host will rape you with it even though you shot him first, or more than twice.

If it takes like 1-3 seconds before the shotgun blasts register on the wall...good luck using the shotgun :lol

Ahh I never tried that Ill check tonight. Thanks a lot man.

CcrooK said:
There is the "two piece" skill.
Do I get that from leveling up?

Oh one other thing I have played about 40 matches but I still just have the lower rank badge but I have
been playing fairly good lately. Is your progression based on wins or your individual stats in a match?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oh one other thing I have played about 40 matches but I still just have the lower rank badge but I have
been playing fairly good lately. Is your progression based on wins or your individual stats in a match?

Honestly, I don't think even Epic knows.

Top Bottom