• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Mohonky

What a joke. 800pts to play 3 new maps....sorry I meant try and combat lag through 3 new maps.

If this was for Gears 1 I would have bought them instantly, these days unless Epic do something drastic with their matchmaking and some sort of local search function they can stick it up their ass.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Mohonky said:
What a joke. 800pts to play 3 new maps....sorry I meant try and combat lag through 3 new maps.

If this was for Gears 1 I would have bought them instantly, these days unless Epic do something drastic with their matchmaking and some sort of local search function they can stick it up their ass.

Yeah, I am going to avoid this map pack too, I just can't put another $10 into this broken game. GOW2 is the biggest letdown in gaming to me. Oh well, maybe Killzone 2 will have good online play to keep me busy during those winter months.

Voltron64

800 pts. :lol
Sorry Epic not this time. Please people, don't hand over your money and reward them for releasing this broken mess.

TheLegendary said:
Has cliffy ever posted on GAF after release to respond to all these complaints? I know he was hanging out here quite a bit in the beginning...
He said they have heard the complaints and that they are looking to address the noted issues.

DiddyBop

so they havent fixed the issues you guys are complaining about,and then have the audacity to release new maps and charge for them? yet there will still be tools that will go and buy this instantly,sending a message to the gears crew that its ok to release a game with broken multiplayer. ive beaten the single player but i wont touch the multiplayer until the issues you guys are complaining about are fixed and patched.

Voltron64 said:
800 pts. :lol
Sorry Epic not this time. Please people, don't hand over your money and reward them for releasing this broken mess.

This.

There's no fucking way in the world I would purchase these maps after what Epic has done.

Spruchy

Got the maps and playing with a friend, anyone interested in playing shoot a message to spruchy86. Those complaining about 10 bucks need to seek a job (unless your nats are screwing the experience for you, my condolences).

raYne

TheLegendary said:
Has cliffy ever posted on GAF after release to respond to all these complaints? I know he was hanging out here quite a bit in the beginning...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13933542#post13933542
CliffyB said:
I assure everyone in this thread that we care VERY much about issues with our products. I can't go into detail here (not the right place to do so) but we ARE working on fixes and tweaks and I'm still reading this thread and other forums on a daily basis and hearing all of the feedback.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Feindflug

That's definitely not a good move from Epic, at least the maps should've been free...anyway I can't download the maps due to the region locking but even if I could there's no fuckin' way I would spend 10e for a broken game that I got for 70e and not even got the Flashback maps code...now release the damn patch to make this mess playable.

Gowans

I bit the first time on Gears to check it out but with online being a pain at the mo, the slew of games and other DLC now offering more maps or features for the same price on other games I think the time for an 800 point map pack of three has came and went.

JimiNutz

Banned
The earth shattering announcement was a few maps-1 of which was leaked like a month ago :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

For the hype it received I was at least expecting a new mode, or some cool new gameplay tweaks-also 800 points :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fuck you Epic, no sale :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
yeah I can't justify a new map pack when I have played the new maps like a handful of times each - cos its so damn hard to get a decent session going! wtf man.

Why release new maps when we're not even close to being bored of the other maps? what the hell?? Are they just trying to artificially keep the online community gasping for air while they struggle to fix the game?

there is no way this map pack was intended to be released NOW in their roadplan, this must be a kneejerk reaction.

Boycott confirmed. Make it free

Brakara

Jtyettis said:
Yea, Keighly blew that a little out of proportion.

Understatement of the year. Somehow I think the success of Gears has gone to their heads. I mean, the announcement of a fucking map pack on live tv, as if it was a big event? You've got to be kidding me.

Echo Eagle said:
I'm a little troubled that Epic got a map pack out before fixing the glitches that plague matchmaking.

Why? It's not like it's the same people who are working on the maps as who are working on the patch. The game went Gold in early October, so 10 weeks sounds about right for three maps (two of which are remakes). Actually, it would be much more than 10 weeks, since the maps for Gears 2 would've been done much earlier to get through the testing and certification phase. The price is out of whack though.

Early impressions of the new maps: they rock!
These 3 new maps are approaching Gears 1 maps level quality and not the like the shoddy B-sides excuse for maps that shipped with the game.

Multiple levels, elevator action, emulsion... very very nice, can't wait to see what sort of new tactics evolve out of these maps.

Tomcat said:
Do they worth the 800pts ?
lmchv.gif

Mohonky

Brakara said:
Why? It's not like it's the same people who are working on the maps as who are working on the patch. The game went Gold in early October, so 10 weeks sounds about right for three maps (two of which are remakes). Actually, it would be much more than 10 weeks, since the maps for Gears 2 would've been done much earlier to get through the testing and certification phase. The price is out of whack though.

This comes up on the Gears 2 boards also, but I'm not buying into it. I don't give two shits on who works on what but perhaps they should be working on their priorities. When your online matchmaking system is utterly fucked (extreme amounts of lag, long search times, bugs, people quitting because of the extreme lag) what point is there to putting out more maps for us to continue the cycle.

I loved Gears 1, I played the online nearly every damn night and I was pumped for Gears 2 online but now, I have barely put the Gears 2 in my 360 since the day it came out. My mate and I completed the game in one sitting on hardcore (what an awesome ride co-op is). Then I myself and a few other mates who regularly played the first online tried out the multiplayer, tried a few matches and just completely gave up. I tried playing a game again the other night just to see if things had improved but they were just as bad, the only difference being that matchmaking was faster....marginally. Otherwise, it was the shitty lag fest it was on the day of release.

I was really keen for the online in this game. I don't usually get that wound up when an online game might be laggy as 9 times out of 10 I'm not expecting to enjoy the online that much anyway, but I was really keen for this and the fact that it's so fucking awful is the reason I am utterly pissed with Epic on this one. Treyarch gave us a local search only in matchmaking, I don't see why others can't do the same.

Till that happens, Epic can release as much content as they want, but until then, they can go fuck themselves.

Whoa, there is a new map pack? I should pay attention to this thread more.

Aladuf, ThirdEngine, I haven't played with you guys in awhile. I've been busy.

Mohonky said:
This comes up on the Gears 2 boards also, but I'm not buying into it. I don't give two shits on who works on what but perhaps they should be working on their priorities. When your online matchmaking system is utterly fucked (extreme amounts of lag, long search times, bugs, people quitting because of the extreme lag) what point is there to putting out more maps for us to continue the cycle.

Private games with friends (consenting adults) is where it's at.

Brakara

Mohonky said:

Hey, I'm just explaining how they could get a map pack out before a patch, without affecting the patch (ie. the patch isn't being delayed because of this). I understand that you wanted them to sit on it until they fixed versus, but as a Horde player I really don't mind. Well, except the price of course.

Mohonky said:
If it takes a long time for you to find a match with matchmaking, it must mean your NAT is not OPEN, or that of someone else in your party. As for the extreme lag, most of the time it's just a stupid bastard host putting on his download program while playing so that everyone else experiences lag except for him.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I join the boycott. Also... 3 maps? Really? At least COD4 had the decency of having 4. But 3? And with broken online? Fuck no Cliffy.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
Yeah I'm sure boycotting helps, maybe Epic will just give them for free if they see 30 people on GAF won't download i!

I'm pretty sure it's just common sense. 3 maps 800 points...

If it was 400 it would be ok-ish...but 800? No thanks. Most maps packs I've bought for games have cost me 400. Just because it's Gears doesn't mean it's worth 800.

Relix said:
I join the boycott. Also... 3 maps? Really? At least COD4 had the decency of having 4. But 3? And with broken online? Fuck no Cliffy.
you're right, the intern that ports the COD single player maps over to multiplayer doesn't work for free!

wait, maybe he does.

Morph-0

800msp for 3 new locations, now somebody tell me how maps for a broken game are a more worth while purchase than Bionic Commando 800msp, Marble Blast Ultra 400msp. These 3 new maps are a complete rip off Oh but I forgot MS are so greedy they wont even pass on the 2.5% VAT reduction.

Good luck to anyone still playing Gears 2 online, asthma attacks guaranteed.

Mohonky

Mr. Durden said:
If it takes a long time for you to find a match with matchmaking, it must mean your NAT is not OPEN, or that of someone else in your party. As for the extreme lag, most of the time it's just a stupid bastard host putting on his download program while playing so that everyone else experiences lag except for him.

My NAT is open.

As to lag, I wish it were that simple, unfortunately the lag is more a problem of locale and theres nothing I can do about it on my end. All I can hope is that Epic incorporate a local search only filter or at least show us rooms with connection quality to join. As I mentioned earlier, Treyarch uses Matchmaking but they also give you a local only search filter which is bliss. Joining a room knowing every single room is going to be lag free is like a carebear that keeps on giving. Many Aussies like myself routinely have to bounce from room to room continually checking connection quality. Getting into a room and knowing it's hosted locally is just something that is not taken for granted.

Brakara said:
Hey, I'm just explaining how they could get a map pack out before a patch, without affecting the patch (ie. the patch isn't being delayed because of this). I understand that you wanted them to sit on it until they fixed versus, but as a Horde player I really don't mind. Well, except the price of course.

Yeh I wasn't having a go at you (I know I quoted you) but I disagree with Epics decision to actually release new content during a period they know many, many people are very pissed off the current matchmaking setup.

I actually got some Gears 2 in this weekend and the matchmaking was much faster for me. As long as Epic keeps patching and tweaking things I will be playing for a long time. I fully understand the issues the game has but I did have fun over the weekend. Sounds like I am in the minority.

Mohonky said:
My NAT is open.

As to lag, I wish it were that simple, unfortunately the lag is more a problem of locale and theres nothing I can do about it on my end. All I can hope is that Epic incorporate a local search only filter or at least show us rooms with connection quality to join. As I mentioned earlier, Treyarch uses Matchmaking but they also give you a local only search filter which is bliss. Joining a room knowing every single room is going to be lag free is like a carebear that keeps on giving. Many Aussies like myself routinely have to bounce from room to room continually checking connection quality. Getting into a room and knowing it's hosted locally is just something that is not taken for granted.
This. All of this. Say what you want about the online on Wii and DS, but at least you can do both worldwide and regional searches for all online games. That should be a default feature in XBL. All games need this.

AndyD

aka andydumi
bigGIRLSblouse said:
I actually got some Gears 2 in this weekend and the matchmaking was much faster for me. As long as Epic keeps patching and tweaking things I will be playing for a long time. I fully understand the issues the game has but I did have fun over the weekend. Sounds like I am in the minority.

Unfortunately yes.

While we did get a 6 games in, it took from 1:30 to 6:30 to matchmake... The last two were 4:30 and the 6:30 and that's when we gave up for the night. We were spending more time waiting than playing... it felt like that anyway.

Top Bottom