• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Zezboob

Aladuf said:
So, did any of you guys who played yesterday notice that they changed the message on the main menu of Gears from a Combustible map pack advertisement to something about how matchmaking had been fixed and that new enhancements are on the way.
Did they really use the word "enhancement" ?
Wow Epic :lol

Just got the soundtrack today. Damn the music is good! I like this soundtrack far more than the rambling original Gears of War. Hope Runs Deep reminds me of the Crimson Tide theme.

Snowden

Banned
Aladuf said:
So, did any of you guys who played yesterday notice that they changed the message on the main menu of Gears from a Combustible map pack advertisement to something about how matchmaking had been fixed and that new enhancements are on the way.
Well, I guess if you say it enough times, people still experiencing the same problems might actually believe it.

mind over matter

Falagard

Aladuf said:

The fact that they changed that yesterday makes it seem like we could be getting that patch sooner than later.

Someone get a picture of this. I want to see it.

RSTEIN said:
Sweet, didn't notice that.

Man, we kinda sucked last night :/

On maps such as Ruins, Jacinto, & River we're good. These maps have a lot of defensive positions + snipe/torque for Third Engine. We can use strategy and team work to beat almost anyone. We may not win every match but we're going to win a large percentage of them.

The problem maps are Avalanche, Pavilion and Blood Drive. Avalanche is a shotgun fest. No strategy built around any of the power weapons. Every time we lost it was to a team that basically rushed in with host shotty and obliterated us. Pavilion is tough for a defensive strategy, but we almost had a good thing going. We need to tweak it a bit. The problem is when you're down by the mortar, you're open to the other side, the mulcher above, and the stairway. We win a lot on Blood Drive but if we're against a team of 5 super aggressive dudes with names like XXXxxxInZaNItyxxxXXX we run into trouble. 5 guys will rush the snipe and work their way up the stairs and eventually kill us.
I think we were all caught off guard by how some of those teams just rushed straight for us. Usually if we're playing a map where we don't have a set strategy we'll make our adjustments within one or two rounds because we get a general idea of how they're playing. But like last night, there's not much you can do against a team of five that decides to rush the fuck out of you. I can't complain about the past couple nights though - I'd say we won around 80% of those matches. That guy that hit the lag switch on Avalanche last night was a little frustrating, though. Moar Gears madness tonight!

Zezboob

Just played some matches, matchmaking is worse than before, only laggy match, always on River.

I am tired of all this shit, I just give up.

Aladuf

Banned
Zezboob said:
Just played some matches, matchmaking is worse than before, only laggy match, always on River.

How long does matchmaking take you?

I know I'd have Recovery, Third, and RSTEIN to back me up when saying that matchmaking takes us seconds when we go in with parties of 3 or 4. Matchmaking for me when I do it alone is the same deal.

Zezboob

I don't really know, maybe 3~4 minutes, we were 4 players. It usually takes something like 10~20 seconds.

If only the matches were lagless (or close) I wouldn't mind, but seriously now it's going too far.

Baker

Banned
Zezboob said:

Yeah the games start quicker, but I've been lagged on every match.

Aladuf

Banned
Zezboob said:
I don't really know, maybe 3~4 minutes, we were 4 players. It usually takes something like 10~20 seconds.

If only the matches were lagless (or close) I wouldn't mind, but seriously now it's going too far.
I gotcha.

Tomcat

yes it was bad thats why i was using the chainsaw :lol
In the private match we played before it was much better though. When we played public games it was bad and i am sure we didnt host not even once. I think the game chooses the worst host not the best :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:

I know I'd have Recovery, Third, and RSTEIN to back me up when saying that matchmaking takes us seconds when we go in with parties of 3 or 4. Matchmaking for me when I do it alone is the same deal.

Yeah, our matchmaking has taken literally <1 minute 99% of the time.

However, I can say that when I go out by myself it does take longer. It's not even close to the pre-patch days tho. They've really cleaned it up.

Aladuf said:

For some reason, even though I have cable internet and all the proper ports cleared I literally cannot find a match 95% of the time nor can I host one with another player.
I've let it try to find one for up to a half hour while I do other stuff, but neigh.

The only time it seems to work is when someone else hosts.
Fucking Comcast bullshit. Grr. I hate monopolies.

Aladuf

Banned
Buckethead said:
For some reason, even though I have cable internet and all the proper ports cleared I literally cannot find a match 95% of the time nor can I host one with another player.
I've let it try to find one for up to a half hour while I do other stuff, but neigh.

The only time it seems to work is when someone else hosts.
Fucking Comcast bullshit. Grr. I hate monopolies.
That seriously sucks, join us sometime then if you need someone else to host for it to work.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
so. much. lag.

Anyway, I found out you need to change the playlist to play the new maps (yes, I'm that stoopid)

I hope they do something with this game. Host migration would be a good start. So many quitters fucking up my games.

Aladuf

Banned
D4Danger said:
so. much. lag.

Anyway, I found out you need to change the playlist to play the new maps (yes, I'm that stoopid)

I hope the do something with this game. Host migration would be a good start. So many quitters fucking up my games.
:lol I was going to ask you if you were going into the specific playlist for the maps before but I didn't.

The quitters are crazy, basically anytime we see someone with a rank of 4 in our matches each night we all start betting on when they'll leave and it never disappoints. So many people are trying to protect their rank it's fucking stupid. I always get tense after me and the guys win a match because I'm halfway expecting the host to be one of the 4-5 people quitting in the 20 second countdown screen thus not counting our win at all.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
they should just scrap the ranks. Nobody understands how they work, they don't in anyway represent a players skill and (as you say) people will just quit games to protect them.

RSTEIN

Ranks are 100% fuckin stoopid. Just finished a game that ended 5 vs. 2 because our big ranks quit in the third round.

EazyB

Banned
Aladuf said:
:lol I was going to ask you if you were going into the specific playlist for the maps before but I didn't.

The quitters are crazy, basically anytime we see someone with a rank of 4 in our matches each night we all start betting on when they'll leave and it never disappoints. So many people are trying to protect their rank it's fucking stupid. I always get tense after me and the guys win a match because I'm halfway expecting the host to be one of the 4-5 people quitting in the 20 second countdown screen thus not counting our win at all.
Host always wins so why would they quit at the end? That's the insurance policy Epic has in place.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Fuck.. FUCK... people playing Gears. Got standby TWICE, got horrible lag each game except 3 in the afternoon.

Man such bullshit. WTF, how does Cliffy feel when playing his game online (if he does). Really, it's BS. I don't think a patch will fix anything, if Gears 1 is anything to go by then they will NEVER fix the network problems.

Fuck you Epic. Such a wonderful game (when it works it's awesome), fucked up by technical problems. I am done with it.

Tomcat said:
yes the ranks was a bad idea

Does anyone know how the ranks system works?

I don't really care, but I heard it goes off of consecutive wins. I've won a decent amount but rarely ever back-to-back as my connection is shit and/or people quit.

I still found it odd that I'm at the first rank, but whatever. Don't really care.

Aladuf said:

The fact that they changed that yesterday makes it seem like we could be getting that patch sooner than later.
I am finding that matchmaking times are slightly quicker, but I'm still being thrown into rooms with foreigners 80% of the time.

Aladuf

Banned
Oh yeah, I've been meaning to post it here once I found out a few nights ago, but if any of you ever see someone coming at you with the Boomshield glitch then try to get back as far as you can and just tear into him with your Lancer/Hammerburst and even if he's got the "shield" out you can still take them down with less than 1 clip of either most of the time. The person isn't invincible if they're using it.

And of course, once you've got them down proceed to do many foul and unnecessary things to their downed body just so they know who's boss. :D

Brakara

RSTEIN said:
Ranks are 100% fuckin stoopid. Just finished a game that ended 5 vs. 2 because our big ranks quit in the third round.

That doesn't make any sense since you'll lose rank if you quit.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brakara said:

That's the problem, you don't. I think the penalty for quitting is so low it doesn't affect your rank and people have worked that out.

Picked up the OST. It's awesome. Played coop again. It's freakin awesome. I haven't touched the MP in weeks. C'mon Epic, hurry up with the patch, this game is still my GOTY just because the SP is soooogood.gif, now give me a MP that I'll play till Gears 3 comes out.

Brakara

Warm Machine said:
Just got the soundtrack today. Damn the music is good!

The music in this game is fucking awesome. I still shake my head in disbelief over the people in this thread who said the music in the first game was better.

Seriously, quitting mid match should ban them from playing online for a time period and give them a rank penalty or something, same with gears 1 players find it too tempting to quit out instead of bite the bullet, usually if they are the first person to die in the first round...

If your internet dies out randomly or you have a powercut, bad luck just wait out the matchmaking ban for a moment or something, there's 99% more quitters then internet connection problems I would imagne.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm done with this game. Fix it or fuck off EPIC.

Just "tried" to play 6 matches. 2 second shotgun lag, host quit, host quit, host quit, 3 team members quit, host quit.

I'm really trying to like this game. I also noticed nobody on my friends list was playing it. Says a lot of the game really considering I added most of them from Gears 1.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gears online is only horde mode for me.

2 games of playing and having a smoke grenade go off near me was enough to stop competitive play at all. I don't even get it. It's a smoke grenade but it's like getting hit with a mauler hammer.

Man, these ranks fail so hard. I've been playing with a friend who basically only uses the chainsaw and gets maybe 2-3 kills a game (even though he consistently gets his ass handed to him because he just holds down the B button, he says the 3 short seconds of chainsawing is "totally worth it," and I suppose I agree with that). We won maybe 8 of the 15 games we played together last weekend and he went all the way up to rank 4 :lol

RSTEIN

Brakara said:

It doesn't, not based on what I've seen. If quitting seriously hurt your rank then you wouldn't see anyone quit. If you have a 4 bar guy who's on the losing side you will see them quit by the fourth round. It's almost a rule. When we get a good GAF game going and we match up with good teams, we call out the guys who will quit by the fourth round. We're rarely wrong.

If there was a real penalty to quitting (i.e. penalty for quitting > penalty for losing a game) then you wouldn't see EVERYONE with a high rank quitting.

This is another problem: there's a lot of mystery around the ranking system. Nobody knows anything. I love CoD4's ranking system. It's transparent and you can track your progress after each map.

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

Brakara

RSTEIN said:
This is another problem: there's a lot of mystery around the ranking system. Nobody knows anything. I love CoD4's ranking system. It's transparent and you can track your progress after each map.

CoD4 uses TrueSkill in matchmaking like Gears, and it's not transparent at all (you can't even tell what it is). The ranking you see in CoD4 is something else completely. I guess Gears should've just added some ranking system (that would be displayed instead of the TrueSkill rank) that awards you for just playing.

And if quitters in Gears don't lose rank like they should, then that's just another (in a long line of) Epic fail.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Quitting does affect your rank - those guys probably just want to preserve their k/d ratio, or are just the typical pussies that quit in general...

Diablohead said:
Seriously, quitting mid match should ban them from playing online for a time period and give them a rank penalty or something, same with gears 1 players find it too tempting to quit out instead of bite the bullet, usually if they are the first person to die in the first round...

If your internet dies out randomly or you have a powercut, bad luck just wait out the matchmaking ban for a moment or something, there's 99% more quitters then internet connection problems I would imagne.

This is what I wanted Epic to implement before Gears 2 came out, and it would be awesome if they could get this in still - people that actually had to leave for a real reason wouldn't be affected by it, and the pussy quitters would have to wait...

Epic explained the ranking system sometime ago on their site - I don't have the link right now, but the gist of it is to simply win and perform well individually while winning to raise your rank, and what will speed up your ranking up is winning when getting matched up against another team, and if the game predicts that you're going to lose based on the other team's rank...

Zezboob

From what I noticed:

Quitting doesn't affect your rank or anything if you :
- go to the dashboard
- disconnect from your profile

and probably if you turn off the 360.

You loose points or whatever penalty if you accept an invite to another match.

But before correcting that, Epic should :
- implement a correct netcode (lol)
- give an option to play only against people from the same continent/with a good ping
- implement social matchmaking (hey Epic, have you already played other games ?)

About trueskill and rank :
The trueskill implementation is definitely broken, but that's not a big problem since even trueskill is broken. Like Halo 3 it uses all your match statistics from the very beginning to determinate your rank, and that's simply stupid.
You progressed since the firsts matches you played ? Trueskill doesn't care. That's why a lot of people created another account on Halo 3 to reach their real grade.
Trueskill should use the 30 last matches stats or something like that.

RSTEIN

Brakara said:
CoD4 uses TrueSkill in matchmaking like Gears, and it's not transparent at all (you can't even tell what it is). The ranking you see in CoD4 is something else completely. I guess Gears should've just added some ranking system (that would be displayed instead of the TrueSkill rank) that awards you for just playing.

And if quitters in Gears don't lose rank like they should, then that's just another (in a long line of) Epic fail.

I wasn't talking about TrueSkill and matchmaking. TrueSkill is another beast altogether.

I'm talking specifically about CoD4's ranking system. It's very transparent. You know how many points you received at the end of a match. More importantly, you know why you received them (winning, k/d ratio, using perks, etc.). Furthermore, it rewards all players eventually so there isn't an incentive to quit out. Better players are rewarded by ranking up faster. The mid/lower skilled players still have something to work towards, but they'll rank up a lot slower. You have something to gain every match, regardless if your team wins or loses.

In Gears 2, the ranking system seems to put so much emphasis on whether or not your team wins or loses. The problem is that as everyone knows in this thread, you can't control what your teammates are doing and you can't control who they are unless you party up. It seems like the higher ranks (4 bars+) are on the line every game. Now, I can appreciate why they would do that. But, in the real world, it just encourages quitters.

Self Induced said:
Man, these ranks fail so hard. I've been playing with a friend who basically only uses the chainsaw and gets maybe 2-3 kills a game (even though he consistently gets his ass handed to him because he just holds down the B button, he says the 3 short seconds of chainsawing is "totally worth it," and I suppose I agree with that). We won maybe 8 of the 15 games we played together last weekend and he went all the way up to rank 4 :lol

That is such bullshit. I have been playing for a solid damn month with over 72 games played
and I am still at the lowest rank.

Top Bottom