• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Okay Aluduf, Full,and Third. The real reason why I left yesterday was because the box I was going to buy from a friends, friend was making a really loud noise so I decided to take that shit back.. Thank the lords I didn't pay for it first.

Lol I guess ill wait for my box to get back from MS.

Black_Ice said:
I am tired of getting matched up with sorry to average teammates. I am always at the top of the team and we fucking lose.

KD
13 and 2
14 and 1
7 and 3
9 and 2

All losses. Fuck this matchmaking shit.
play with your friends

or just don't play at all

Zezboob

catfish said:
why is host such a big deal for shotgun? I mean, how is this massive problem not present in halo for instance?

I've had times in Halo where the shotgun feels a bit wanky, but..... why is it such a big issue?
Because Gears uses host side client detection.

Brakara said:
I think that's lag related. The others have already voted when you get up the screen.
Mmmh impossible since it already happened when I was forming a full team with my friends.
At best, it would mean that they made their vote and waited to the end of the countdown, twice. So, something like 20 seconds of lag ? Hey, now that I write it, it could be plausible. :lol

Tomcat

The shot gun is host side detection but the lancer hammerburst is CSHD. So my question is why didnt they do the same with the shotgun?

Zezboob

The lancer isn't a combination of HSHD and CSHD ?

Because in a laggy match you directly see the impacts, but the ammo counter only decrease after, depending of the quality of the connection.
It would explain why sometimes the stopping power isn't effective at all.

All I know it's that Epic made a fucking complicated shit around it and it doesn't work very well.

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
as broken as the gameplay is compared to the awesomeness that was gears 1, I'm still addicted as hell to it and can't wait to go home and play some more. for some weird reason.

the fact I can get a game even when I'm on my own is enough, though I'm probably only re-addicted because I've found some decent players to play with on a regular basis. If i was running solo and had nothing but shitty matchmaking, laggy matches and quitting team mates accompany me I imagine I'd be fed up by now.

cresto

kaizoku said:
as broken as the gameplay is compared to the awesomeness that was gears 1, I'm still addicted as hell to it and can't wait to go home and play some more. for some weird reason.

the fact I can get a game even when I'm on my own is enough, though I'm probably only re-addicted because I've found some decent players to play with on a regular basis. If i was running solo and had nothing but shitty matchmaking, laggy matches and quitting team mates accompany me I imagine I'd be fed up by now.
yeah i hear you. i seriously only have fun playing with a party though. otherwise, i just get my kills stolen and no one talks.

still the better mp out there. halo3 and cod4 is just run and gun and that is BORING

Tomcat

I dont know if this has been posted but you can tell if you are the host or not. At the end of the round the host cant melee while the other players can.

Aladuf

Banned
@ Recovery, Third, and RSTEIN I believe.. here's that little message war I had with that dipshit who quit out on Subway last night. I just copied his messages from Xbox.com and wrote what I remembered I said to him. I just wish this went on a bit longer for the lulz.

me: Good thing you bailed out of the match, you failed hard

him: the only reason i lft is cuz u suked dik

me: but you were in last place? Go ahead and do everyone a favor and trade in your Gears 2 copy for Viva Pinata or something. kthx

him: actually i was on top til i quit retrd n u cudnt take me in a 1v1 so dnt tll me to trde my game cuz u suk

me: wat

And that's where it ended. I really just wanted to show you guys how he was typing this shit, but I couldn't describe it to you guys mid-match. :lol

II VerTigo II said:
Okay Aluduf, Full,and Third. The real reason why I left yesterday was because the box I was going to buy from a friends, friend was making a really loud noise so I decided to take that shit back.. Thank the lords I didn't pay for it first.

Lol I guess ill wait for my box to get back from MS.
Well shit, well at least we got some playtime in again last night for a while.

Full Recovery said:
I agree, the bow is much easier to use now. Charge times are decreased and splash is increased. Cliffyb must suck with the bow. It was perfect in Gears 1.
Yeah definitely, we had those guys on opposite teams last night just charging through all 6 Torque's just going for splash only kills.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Add another thing to the list of things that piss me off about this game... Invisible shotgun shields.

I was watching some guy just walk around the map killing everyone. He got 31 kills. 31!

Anyway, only 3 host quits today. Things are looking up
:(

Frester

Played a Gears LAN with a bunch of friends last night. Without any lag the game is niiiiiiiice, Torque Bow headshots = so satisfyin'

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
Well shit, well at least we got some playtime in again last night for a while.

Hey guys, sorry I left abruptly last night. Had a real shit night. I think I finished like 0-5 two or three times. Shit really pissed me last night... host shotty, lag, glitches, etc. And my B button didn't work on several occasions. I need a break :D

Falagard

bumpkin said:
If I've run into any of those, I didn't know it. The only thing I know is I find that a majority of the times I get killed is because of a rushing shotgunner. A good portion of the time I'm emptying a clip into their fucking head and they still keep coming... They're taking damage though, and don't always get me first. It's just not often that I stop 'em first. But it doesn't always happen every round, all match long in every match I play. A majority of matches, I get kills and generally have fun. I've been quoted here as saying I think Epic needs to nerf the gnasher because it's too powerful; maybe it seems overpowered to me because I'm seeing the glitching you're talking about. Who knows.

That's surprising. I'm guessing you're not really all that hardcore into the game. That's not a bad thing though.

The shield glitch - you'll find around 50% of the time when you're playing on a map that has a shield, someone will shield glitch at least once during the match. You might not know what it looks like - it looks like a player walking funny (the animation for when you're holding a shield but the shield is invisible) and possibly firing off a shotgun at the same speed as you can shoot a pistol. You'll be shooting him like crazy but it won't kill him because he has a shield. If you DO kill him or knock him down with a smoke grenade, the shield will become visible and fall to the ground.

The glitch where you can move through walls using the shield - mostly happens on Pavillion. The two spawns have a hallway with a dead-end. Let's say you're playing Warzone or execution and your team is trapped in the spawn and you're watching the only entrance to the spawn - the two archways. Suddenly an enemy appears behind you - he shouldn't have been able to do that since there is no entrance there. He has used the glitch to get through the wall and get behind you.

Weapon slide glitch is when someone picks up a weapon and instead of standing on the spot and going through the "pick up weapon" animation, they slide into the weapon and quickly and can then run away without the animation running.

The crab walk is when someone is running around in roadie run yet able to fire their weapon.

Blind firing shotgun - that one's easy. Try moving a ways away from all other players and blind fire your shotgun against a wall. If you're not the host, it'll shoot into the ground instead of where you'd think it should. Blind fire is completely broken unless you're host.

Broken weapon and grenade spawns - next time you're playing Hail take a look at the grenades that spawn near your team. They'll always be the same grenades - either frags, or inks. Both the grenades and teams switch sides each round, but what should happen is that the grenades stay the same and the teams switch sides. This way one round you'll get frags, next you'll get inks. The frag grenade team has a huge advantage.

The Subway map, which thankfully doesn't come up as often, is even worse, with torque bow always spawning with one of the teams, while the other team gets a relatively useless sniper rifle.

zaidr

kaizoku said:
Sadly it was a submission game which lasted 20 minutes for round 1. Submission + frags on a small map is not a happy combination at all. It was evenly matched until 3 of our team mates left! They were gaffers too! :D
\

Yeah, sorry man! :D I was getting tired of the constant back and forth...20 minutes in one round of submission was fun up until a point...couldn't take it anymore!

But you'll be glad to know I did something good with my time...was watching the Paul Newman / Robert Redford classic, "The Sting". Started watching it while waiting for the game to start, and after coming to the realization that that particular game wasn't going to end any time soon, I decided to go back to it. Great movie. Heartily recommended.

Falagard

kaizoku said:
I think the sniper is too nerfed now. Its nowhere near as good as it used to be (used to be my weapon of choice). Now, pretty much any weapon can take out a sniper in a direct confrontation unless you're really far away. Picking up sniper suddenly feels like you're significantly weakening yourself.

It used to be that the torque bow and sniper were evenly balanced. torque was guaranteed kill if you hit but took awhile to charge, sniper had the one hit takedown and better zoom. In a direct confrontation, sniper probably had the advantage, but now its all the way torque bow with its much quicker charge time, deadly accuracy and removal of the one hit sniper takedown. Having to hit someone's head, in a game where people rarely stay still thanks to the rush around gameplay, is ridiculously hard and makes the sniper SOOO ineffective. How many shots to the body does it take to down someone with a sniper? Adversely the torque seems much easier to use and hit a moving target with.

I agree with this. I don't mind that they got rid of the active reload downing people in one hit. But, they've reduced the effectiveness so much that it's crap. They should either make it more powerful or make it so the reload happens much quicker, or both.

Actually, I'd like to see how well it would work with two bullets before needing a reload, a large delay and recoil for each shot but it won't unzoom you, and if both bullets are active reload powered and you get hit by both, it downs you even if you have full health. That'd take skill because of the recoil and delay between shots. It'd give the target enough time to evade if they're smart, and make the sniper useful again in my opinion.

zaidr

Falagard said:
Blind firing shotgun - that one's easy. Try moving a ways away from all other players and blind fire your shotgun against a wall. If you're not the host, it'll shoot into the ground instead of where you'd think it should. Blind fire is completely broken unless you're host.

Broken weapon and grenade spawns - next time you're playing Hail take a look at the grenades that spawn near your team. They'll always be the same grenades - either frags, or inks. Both the grenades and teams switch sides each round, but what should happen is that the grenades stay the same and the teams switch sides. This way one round you'll get frags, next you'll get inks. The frag grenade team has a huge advantage.

The Subway map, which thankfully doesn't come up as often, is even worse, with torque bow always spawning with one of the teams, while the other team gets a relatively useless sniper rifle.

Wait, are you saying these things are not by design, but are glitches somehow?

Falagard

zaidr said:
Wait, are you saying these things are not by design, but are glitches somehow?

Blind firing the shotgun being broken is very obviously a technical bug. Blind firing only works properly if you're host or are near the host. If it were by design, I'd punch Cliff Bleszinski in the larynx.

The other two, weapon and grenade spawns switching sides between rounds, was probably by design but accidentally breaks the team balance. The game obviously allows the designers to change which weapons spawn on each alternating round. For example, torque bow changing to sniper. That's fine, but only works if the weapon is in the center of the map or if both sides have the same weapon near them. Again, if by design: punch. larynx.

DoomGyver

Zezboob said:
The lancer isn't a combination of HSHD and CSHD ?

Because in a laggy match you directly see the impacts, but the ammo counter only decrease after, depending of the quality of the connection.
It would explain why sometimes the stopping power isn't effective at all.

All I know it's that Epic made a fucking complicated shit around it and it doesn't work very well.

It's certainly fucked up. The lancer seems to be CSHD, but it really isn't.

From what I can tell, all bullets that hit objects on the map are CSHD and are not sent to the host. But all bullets that hit an opposing player are HSHD.

That information is sent to the host and the host decides whether that particular bullet did X amount of damage or Y.

Shotgun and frags are still the style of hit detection from Gears 1.

JUST PUT CSHD IN THE FUCKING GAME EPIC, I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE ALL UP IN THE ASS OF SERVER SIDE DETECTION! IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE IT SHOULD FFS.

sadly I doubt anyone could patch a whole new network setup in a 4mb patch

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tomcat said:
The shot gun is host side detection but the lancer hammerburst is CSHD. So my question is why didnt they do the same with the shotgun?

What? How do you know this?

Man if every weapon in Gears 2 acted like the Hammerburst (a la COD4), it'd be so much better.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Full Recovery said:
It's certainly fucked up. The lancer seems to be CSHD, but it really isn't.

From what I can tell, all bullets that hit objects on the map are CSHD and are not sent to the host. But all bullets that hit an opposing player are HSHD.

That information is sent to the host and the host decides whether that particular bullet did X amount of damage or Y.

Shotgun and frags are still the style of hit detection from Gears 1.

JUST PUT CSHD IN THE FUCKING GAME EPIC, I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE ALL UP IN THE ASS OF SERVER SIDE DETECTION! IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE IT SHOULD FFS.

sadly I doubt anyone could patch a whole new network setup in a 4mb patch

I'm not filled in on the details, but wouldnt CSHD mean you're xbox talks to the opponents xbox to determine damage? You're still looking at potenially shitty problems. at least if the host has problems than maybe it affects everyone else vs everyone else, which is better than some people vs some people but not other people.

which is how gears 1 felt. I had a friend who was a relative n00b, I was pretty good at the game, he played it through on casual or something and played online about 5% what I played. and yet I could never kill him in MP. quite a few players were like that with gears 1.

zaidr

Domino Theory said:
Client-Side Hit Detection; you determine where your bullets go for your weapons instead of the Host deciding for you.

In that case, I'd be sending the "damage done" info to the person I shot, right? That kind of makes sense...I think thats how it worked in Lost Planet, so in extreme cases, you'd see your bullets hit the person, but they just wouldn't die. I've had shooting matches between people lasting well over a minute...must have finished all my ammo into a dude, and nothing...

Both have their problems. Why not set up servers? EA does it!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You know, I've always thought... why not release a host file for PCs so people can run dedicated servers. They can connect to a "hub" which would be what is displayed on player's screens when they choose a "dedicated servers" option. (Ok, simple... how most PC games work).

Is it sooo hard to do that? Oh and as I said, Epic will never fix the networking problems. I will eat crow and I will change my avatar to "Epic owned me" for 2 years. :lol

Despite the fact that:

-I constantly get put on a team of 2 people versus a 5 man team.
-I have played over 80 games now with no progression in rank
-I have had people tag me with grenades through walls.
-People work the shit out of me when they are hosting w/ a shotgun

I cannot stop playing this game. I have plenty of stuff on my shelf
Fable 2, Dead Space, and Mirrors Edge but when I have the time
to play a game I cant not throw in Gears 2.

I cant imagine what level of addiction will happen to me if the game
actually works correctly.

Aladuf

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

It's a sickness man, almost every night I'd rather pop in a PS3 game and go at some single player in whatever game or MP in Cod4, Burnout, or LBP but then I think about getting in some matches with the guys and we just.. play.. forever.

I think post-Christmas I'll be taking another Gears break for a little while though, just to prevent overexposure and more pissed off-ness during our games.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
zaidr said:
In that case, I'd be sending the "damage done" info to the person I shot, right? That kind of makes sense...I think thats how it worked in Lost Planet, so in extreme cases, you'd see your bullets hit the person, but they just wouldn't die. I've had shooting matches between people lasting well over a minute...must have finished all my ammo into a dude, and nothing...

Both have their problems. Why not set up servers? EA does it!

COD4 has this system implemented and it works great. Your bullets are accurate with no lag (if everyone in the room had "Host" shotgun in Gears then it'd be a level playing field). Some problems with CSHD include you shooting at someone thinking said person is there in front of you (according to your box) when said person isn't (according to the Host's box).

It's so dumb that Epic/Midway spend money to have dedicated servers for UT3 on 360 when nobody plays that shit. They always tout the fact it would cost money to run dedicated servers on a popular game. I think it's safe to say Epic/Microsoft have made a fuckton of money from Gears of War.

Not to mention having all these fixes that would bring a MUCH better experience in every way to all players and would cause a very good word-of-mouth and we all know word of mouth spreads fucking fast.

zaidr

BruceLeeRoy said:
Despite the fact that:

-I constantly get put on a team of 2 people versus a 5 man team.
-I have played over 80 games now with no progression in rank
-I have had people tag me with grenades through walls.
-People work the shit out of me when they are hosting w/ a shotgun

I'm right there with you buddy. I keep telling myself I should give up on it, but every night I'm back at its alter, praying for it to work...

zaidr

Domino Theory said:
It's so dumb that Epic/Midway spend money to have dedicated servers for UT3 on 360 when nobody plays that shit. They always tout the fact it would cost money to run dedicated servers on a popular game. I think it's safe to say Epic/Microsoft have made a fuckton of money from Gears of War.

Not to mention having all these fixes that would bring a MUCH better experience in every way to all players and would cause a very good word-of-mouth and we all know word of mouth spreads fucking fast.

OMG they have servers set up for UT3? WTF?

This game would sell so much better if they fixed the multiplayer problems. I have personally dissuaded 2 friends of mine thinking of buying Gears 2, just because of the lag problems...and I was the one to get them interested in it in the first place.

zaidr said:
I'm right there with you buddy. I keep telling myself I should give up on it, but every night I'm back at its alter, praying for it to work...

:lol Man that describes me perfectly. "Please you janky piece of shit work!"

Flunkie

Banned
Shins said:
Because you used the same DVD-RW?
No, because I was playing Banjo-Kazooie XBLA while I was in a party chat with them while they were playing Gears.

And I know this is giving you the attention you want, but your comments are really getting annoying.

DSC02222.jpg

_dementia said:
that's pretty funny

is flunkie the person without the flashback maps
?

DSC02220.jpg
DSC02221.jpg

EazyB

Banned
I have done it!

Games Played 79
Wins 43
Losses 36
Win/Loss Ratio 1.19
Kills 1,076
Deaths 730
Kill/Death Ratio 1.47

Chainsaw Duels 109
Wins 82
Losses 17
Ties 10
Win/Loss Ratio 4.82

Chainsaw Kills 1,002

Now I can set this game aside.

Dosia

EazyB said:
I have done it!

Games Played 79
Wins 43
Losses 36
Win/Loss Ratio 1.19
Kills 1,076
Deaths 730
Kill/Death Ratio 1.47

Chainsaw Duels 109
Wins 82
Losses 17
Ties 10
Win/Loss Ratio 4.82

Chainsaw Kills 1,002

Now I can set this game aside.

holy shit at your chainsaw kills. :lol

Aladuf

Banned
Dax01 said:
When you are shooting the flamethrower, if someone downs you, you keep on shooting it until you run out.

And if you're the one who downs said person who's using the scorcher and you're playing Warzone then if you get too close too fast then you're as good as dead.

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
Shins said:
Because you used the same DVD-RW?
No, because I was playing Banjo-Kazooie XBLA while I was in a party chat with them while they were playing Gears.

And I know this is giving you the attention you want, but your comments are really getting annoying.

DSC02222.jpg

_dementia said:
that's pretty funny

is flunkie the person without the flashback maps

?

DSC02220.jpg
DSC02221.jpg
End of the page sucks, so quoted for great justice.

Aladuf

Banned
Dax01 said:
I didn't know that either.

:(
I can't lie, I've never been killed that way but I've downed people who've been using the Scorcher and it'll definitely knock you down because I've taken heavy damage from it. I'd definitely assume though that if it is Warzone then you can be clearly be knocked down by it and I wouldn't see why when down if you're still getting burned by it up close that you wouldn't die.

Zezboob

kaizoku said:
I'm not filled in on the details, but wouldnt CSHD mean you're xbox talks to the opponents xbox to determine damage? You're still looking at potenially shitty problems. at least if the host has problems than maybe it affects everyone else vs everyone else, which is better than some people vs some people but not other people.
No, your Xbox still only speak to the host usually.
It's not a perfect solution either (it doesn't solve some problems and it creates some complications), but it's clearly less frustrating, because at least you obtain "exactly" what you see. You hit the guy, he dies.
But due to the lag, you could die without being shot, from your point of view. But with HSHD it's the same if the host don't have a good connection.

Domino Theory said:
Client-Side Hit Detection; you determine where your bullets go for your weapons instead of the Host deciding for you.
Is it not simply you determine what your bullets hits, according to the info you have ? May looks like I am nitpicking, but it's really different.

Top Bottom