• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Yep, I'm on and ready to go.. doesn't seem like Third is playing or is on at least, so we can get a couple of us together for some games.

fake edit: right as I type this I get disconnected from Live. Let me go try to fix this shit once again.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
Yeaaaaaah.. that's a "ThirdEngine" kind of thing.. we all just play along. :lol

*Third zips up his velour tracksuit*

"Let's do this! This is JUST a warm up! No Hammerbursts or Torques. Just a few quick laps around the old Gridlock."

sweatsedo_menspage.jpg

JB1981

RSTEIN said:

"Let's do this! This is JUST a warm up! No Hammerbursts or Torques. Just a few quick laps around the old Gridlock."

sweatsedo_menspage.jpg
play some gears with us dude

RSTEIN

Well, you see, between 9:00pm to 10:00pm is what's known as "wife time." I can't tonight anyways, have a busy day tomorrow :\

JB1981

Damn that last team was tough, had great strategy. Security is probably one of the best maps in the game - very tense, very tough games on that map.

Good playing with you guys. Hopefully we'll get to play again this weekend. Time for some shuteye - fucking work tomorrow (thank god monday is a holiday

ThirdEngine said:
Somewhere around there. We usually get on around 8 to warm up with the bots before going into pub matches. After a few of those we're usually set for the night.

Hey I saw you guys playing earlier in a party with someone on my friendslist. I will add you next time I see you on. Or add me.... "ThisSplitLip"

I'm getting tired of L4D and Gears is the only other shooter in town for me.

critch

Banned
Just beat the game. Credits just rolled. Am excited for part 3 now, if the story goes the direction I think it will. Glad it seems to be a lot deeper than the story first appears to be.

Vehicle parts were meh, but game was great! Have to try multi sometime.

critch said:
Just beat the game. Credits just rolled. Am excited for part 3 now, if the story goes the direction I think it will. Glad it seems to be a lot deeper than the story first appears to be.

Vehicle parts were meh, but game was great! Have to try multi sometime.

Make sure you try to play multiplayer with people from GAF, its much more fun.

Good matches tonight. That little bit of Horde was a nice break from the usual routine.

RSTEIN said:

sweatsedo_menspage.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Classic RSTEIN.

JB1981 said:
Damn that last team was tough, had great strategy. Security is probably one of the best maps in the game - very tense, very tough games on that map.
Yep, that team worked really well together. That fourth round was intense.

LittleTokyo said:
Hey I saw you guys playing earlier in a party with someone on my friendslist. I will add you next time I see you on. Or add me.... "ThisSplitLip"
Added.

NubCakes09 said:
Make sure you try to play multiplayer with people from GAF, its much more fun.

Where the hell have you been the past couple nights?

bumpkin

ThirdEngine said:
Good matches tonight. That little bit of Horde was a nice break from the usual routine.
Yeah man, those were good matches, and thanks again for humoring me to finish Horde. Same props to the others (Aladuf and co.). That achievement was elusive. As far as our multi matches go, that team in that one security match was a goddamn pain in the ass! Still can't believe we fell to them. That was some SWAT style strategy. They had to have been a group of five that all knows each other and plays together all the time. No way a bunch of randoms would be *that* organized.

Either way, we'll definitely have to all get together and do it again soon! :D

bimet

What's more satisfying than having crushed a group of whiny little scumbags after being talked down at the beginning of the match? NOTHING.

Map: Security
Exact Location: To the side of Mortar/Mulcher spawn.
Round: 5
Locust team: 3 players
My team: 1 (myself)
Result: Hilarity

A locust attempts to kill me with a 2-piece. Successfully lands an elbow to my face but proceeds to fail at aiming a shotgun. No time to switch over to shotgun so I go for a chainsaw kill. While chainsawing, I spot the last two locust rushing to my location; of course, my immediate thought is, "fuck me, I'm not getting away from them. Oh well, I got one bastard at least." What happens next? The security lasers activate killing the two dumbasses as they jump through the opening. :lol

Round ends, the COG win the match. Opposing team leaves the room before the 20 seconds are up making it impossible for my team to talk smack back :(

Moments like these are what make Gears special. A glorious match this was.

draven

Great matches, especially the horde smackdown. It's nice to play a horde match with more than 3 people at that level :).

That last match in security was crazy. Those were actual clan tactics. Almost every head poking out was accompanied by another squad member laying in hiding, or another squad member flanking you. That, and the magic 1-hit kill hammerbursts made a tough match.

bumpkin

draven said:
That, and the magic 1-hit kill hammerbursts made a tough match.
Yeah man, I need to get me a code to download one of those hammerbursts. It was fucking legendary. I remember one of you thought the dude controlling Hoffman had "host lancer" too... Either way, there was some tomfoolery going on in that match. Sucks that we lost the match but at least we still managed to stick it to them a few rounds.

RSTEIN

SweetTea023 said:

Hi there. Unfortunately, all I get this:

An unexpected error has occurred. Please return to the home page to continue.

If you continue to experience problems, please close and restart your browser to try again.

Edit: I see it now:

Gears of War 2 Community Nights resumes its regular fight night schedule this week with the gang at Gearheads of War, a community blog for all things Gears. The site is hosting a community event this Friday, February 13, giving fans a chance to battle with (and against) the Gearheads of War crew. Fellow Gearheads can get in the game at the following date and time:

Friday, February 13, 2009
10:00 PM EST (7:00 PM PST)
To join in the fight, interested gamers need only add the following gamertags to their friends list and get into a game:

SweetTea023
Blankman6
ESuns
Zoso Fan
And what’s multiplayer brutality without a little reward? Participating players will have a shot at some pretty great swag. For the low-down on what’s on offer, check out all the details at Gearheads of War. Big thanks to the Gearheads for hosting this week’s Gears 2 community night, and be sure to check back every week for more Gears of War 2 community events!

JB1981

bumpkin said:
Yeah man, I need to get me a code to download one of those hammerbursts. It was fucking legendary. I remember one of you thought the dude controlling Hoffman had "host lancer" too... Either way, there was some tomfoolery going on in that match. Sucks that we lost the match but at least we still managed to stick it to them a few rounds.

That guy didn't have Host Lancer? That was me.... dude's Lancer was insane.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Brakara said:
I agree with the parts in bold, but otherwise you just seem to want it to become much easier and I couldn't disagree more. If anything, public horde is way too easy. No, not at the later waves, but as is you'll have to play for an hour before it gets interesting. Until that happens you're just going through the motions waiting for it to become challenging. It's part of why I stopped playing. Way too much time spent in the first 15-16 (boring) waves.

As for me, there's mainly two things that would make me pick up the game again (for public horde):

1. Being able to start with a higher difficulty.
2. Being able to start at a later wave. For example, the options could be wave 1, 11, 21, 31, and 41. And where you could only start at a later wave if you've already managed to get there. This would also ensure that you started at later waves with other experienced players.

Edit: another thing that would make me play it again, would be a playlist for Horde on the new map pack. I bought the pack, but I still haven't been able to play Horde on any of the maps. That fucking sucks.

Sorry for the late response, but I don't want Horde to be easier (actually I agree with you that it is too easy right now). I just want Epic fix some of the dumb shit that makes it unnecessarily difficult and vexxing.

ThirdEngine said:
ded.

Where the hell have you been the past couple nights?

Wednesday Lost was on at 9, and I went to bed afterwards, and last night I had practice 9. However, I got my wisdom teeth pulled today, so I'll be on tonight prolly around 10. I'll be on a lot this weekend. (hopefully)

draven

Domino Theory said:
The chainsaw is going to be added as another thing they're fixing for TU3.

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=659499

Apparently (as far as I can read :p), as an active chainsaw came closer to an opponent, it took more hits/damage to take the chainsaw down and is a bug.

No, I think the "actives" are referring to the opposing weapon (HB and shotty). I had to make sure of that, because if active reloading a lancer increased the vacuum, and Epic actually was stupid enough to confirm it before it was fixed, the game would be fucked until TU3...

Still, good news that they're fixing the chainsaw vacuum.

Aladuf

Banned
If you rank down twice in the middle of a long winning spree in one night due to the host on the other team quitting out.. ya might be playing Gears of War 2...
or your name might be Aladuf

Never stops being entertaining, but please give me that patched in XP rank plz.

Played 5 games tonight with some buddies, and we got standbyed ALL 5 TIMES!

I can deal with being off-host, but when people bridge so they get host, and then standby when they start losing...I can't deal with that. I really like this game, but I'm either gonna have to stand bridging myself to get a clean game, or move onto something else.

JB1981

Sorry for not joining last night, guys. I was just too damn tired to play. I would have been of no help anyway. Thanks for the invite, though.

Aladuf

Banned
:lol I was just checking my Gears stats for the first time in forever and I saw how I am quite the shotgun fan.

To give a sample:

Kills: 2,152

Gibs: 1,266 (I'm assuming there's no other thing that counts towards "Gibs" besides shotty)

edit: I take that back, either the site isn't totally accurate or something else does count towards gibs.. maybe anytime you cause someone to blow up or whatever, it counts. Anyways, the "real" shotty kill count is a slightly underwhelming 743. :(

and for fun:

Chainsaw Kills: 158

And for those of us who play Ruins together and have been destroying teams since we set up that strategy in early December my personal stats say I'm 30-15 on the map.. so that's a not too bad 2.00 Win/Loss ratio.

hahaha! It would be so wild to play against Soulja boy

And I just checked my stats, and I haven't played Gears all that much. Total time is 1 day and 18 hours, so I definitely need to play more. My "best" map is my least favorite map, Stasis, where I am 8-1.

What time is everyone getting on today?

I seriously want to get a group together and play against him and his crew. Shit would be epic.

As far as tonight goes, probably aroud 8:00-9:00.

RSTEIN

Fun playing. I only got one hate message :\

if if if if if if I had a good team you wouldn't be able to run around the map with your chainsaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Alright, I was wrong guys we did lose at least 1 match during the night. There was the one match on Pavilion where Nub got disconnected and Beamber quit out or whatever. We were winning it but they mauled us once those 2 left. But we had at least a 10 win streak after that for the rest of the night.

And that Torque kill was by far my greatest Gears 2 kill. I still can't believe that happened. :D

Aladuf said:
Alright, I was wrong guys we did lose at least 1 match during the night. There was the one match on Pavilion where Nub got disconnected and Beamber quit out or whatever. We were winning it but they mauled us once those 2 left. But we had at least a 10 win streak after that for the rest of the night.

And that Torque kill was by far my greatest Gears 2 kill. I still can't believe that happened. :D

Holy shit a win streak of 10? I tell ya, hours fly by when your playing Gears 2.

Aladuf

Banned
NubCakes09 said:
Holy shit a win streak of 10? I tell ya, hours fly by when your playing Gears 2.
Time flies even moreso when all of us are on our A game. Nobody touched us...
now we'll all do terrible tomorrow night :(

chriskun

WOW!!!! so probably about 40% of the matches I played tonight ended up with the host standbying. Is there anyway that they can even fix this??? If not I think im gonna have to say goodbye to gears, or maybe just go exclusively horde or try to organize private games. Thank god SF4 is coming out in two days.

bumpkin

Aladuf said:
Time flies even moreso when all of us are on our A game. Nobody touched us...
now we'll all do terrible tomorrow night :(
True that, man. I know I only took part in maybe an hour or two of the 10, but it was a fun hour or two. :D Granted, I didn't do much to add to my kill count, but I did drop quite a few fools and provide some good distractions; meanwhile you guys flanked the sumbitches and took 'em down!

After most of you took off, ZeroCool and I kept on playing... Did some games on the Combustible Maps where people just couldn't seem to suck it up and play the map or mode chosen; we were in several 5-on-3 games because two of our team members quit before or during the matches. Bastards.

One of these days I'll be on at the same time you guys start, I swear.

Pleas add/remove this in the next big update. I know you're reading this Clifford.

Add
+Make the hammerburst a bit more accurate. By doing this maybe we'll get the long ranged battles (while others flank etc) that were meant to be in the game.
+Melee weapons. Like the staff Skorge has, but no cheating chainsaw "auto-suck the enemy to you", just normal damage. (I know it might not even be possible this one, but I just want it so bad)
+When playing Guardian, give the leader some sort of edge over the rest, I don't what, but something at least (maybe other default weapons?).
+Add some of the Gears 1 maps that aren't there yet. Escalation, Fuel Station, etc.

Remove
-Less shotgun bullets by default. This will make sure people will only use it when the time is right for it.
-Smoke grenades by default. It should be a pick-up like the frag and poison grenades. (or just make smokes like they were in the first game, and add some new "flashbang" sort of grenade that has the effect the smoke has now)
-"auto-suck the enemy to you" effect of the chainsaw. I know this'll never happen, but it would really help the game a lot. So if you're not doing this, PLEASE make sure in the next update every weapon is able to just cancel the chainsaw action when shooting on it, cause most of the time it won't stop or flinch, but just continue. (while it did work in the first game)
-Remove the annoyance of being 'glitched' at the beginning of a round, fucks up everything that you just can't do a thing for a whole round. Really should've fixed this already.

HB more accurate? More power to me then :D

Host Hammerburst is crazy. Even crazier than Host Shotty or Lancer. I really feel bad when hosting and using HB...sometimes.

chriskun said:
WOW!!!! so probably about 40% of the matches I played tonight ended up with the host standbying. Is there anyway that they can even fix this??? If not I think im gonna have to say goodbye to gears, or maybe just go exclusively horde or try to organize private games. Thank god SF4 is coming out in two days.

It's my understanding that they are trying to fix standbying for TU3, at least punish those that do standby.

JB1981

did you guys all get dropped last night from that game on pavillion? my internet crapped out but my xbox was telling me that everyone else was crapping out too ..... i just called it a night after that

JB1981 said:
did you guys all get dropped last night from that game on pavillion? my internet crapped out but my xbox was telling me that everyone else was crapping out too ..... i just called it a night after that

We were the only two that got dropped. My 360 kinda froze on me, then after a few minutes I was kicked back to the menu and just waited there. Luckily when you got kicked, RSTEIN joined so we were able to continue the ownage.

Top Bottom