• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Zezboob

JB1981 said:
I think they added the frag planting because they felt it would minimize the run and gun shotgunin' nature of the first game.
Epic should stop going against what made Gears 1 popular. They should stop deceiving their fanbase.

It wasn't planned but people liked it ? So be it. It's not like it was gamebreaking or unbalanced, it's just a different nature of game they thought to be.
Stopping power was a good addition (well, when it works) but wanting at any cost to prevent people to rush thing is stupid.
One good thing in Gears was the possible change of pace at anytime in a match. Other one, was the possibility to make diversions and attack by surprise from behind, now mostly impossible due to smoke grenade. That's silly.

JB1981 said:
I still can't get over the fact that you guys went back to Halo 3. Full-Recovery had you guys pegged to a 'T.' He made a post a while back about how if just ONE of you guys were convinced to play Halo 3 all of you would be back to playing it in no time. I believe Aladuf even sold his copy of Halo 3 ... shit is kinda hysterical
Wow, I went back too Halo too :lol

I still make some Gears from times to times, but when things gets ugly (only laggy games) we switch back to Halo.

I definitely understand why people would stop play Gears of War 2 online; its just too damn frustrating some times. It's the type of game I only with friends; whereas any other online shooter I can play by myself and not mind.

Oh, and I still fucking hate planted frag grenades; takes absolutely no skill, and turns some maps (like blood drive) into a fucking camp fest.

Stopping power shows how fucked up this game is. Sure it sounds good in theory, but Epic was too lazy to make sure it worked under the right circumstances. I shouldn't be slowing down when I'm running away. Yet another example of how the game was catered for casual players.

I also want to say that I absolutely hate the Hollywood lighting in Gears 2, and I regret that they turned the original Carmine into a pussy during multiplayer. "Die for papa!" was one of the greatest lines in gaming...

Shins

Banned
Flunkie said:
RIP Gears 2

Two of the biggest Gears to players retired earlier this week. It's been good knowing you.
350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

NubCakes09 said:
I definitely understand why people would stop play Gears of War 2 online; its just too damn frustrating some times. It's the type of game I only with friends; whereas any other online shooter I can play by myself and not mind.

This is the reason why I traded it in and won't be picking it back up. The game is enjoyable enough when I play with friends but its almost impossible to play without them.

Aladuf

Banned
JB1981 said:
I still can't get over the fact that you guys went back to Halo 3. Full-Recovery had you guys pegged to a 'T.' He made a post a while back about how if just ONE of you guys were convinced to play Halo 3 all of you would be back to playing it in no time. I believe Aladuf even sold his copy of Halo 3 ... shit is kinda hysterical
We play as a group. One day someone says "hey, wanna play Halo tonight?" and others say "sure" so then we play Halo and we have fun, so we continue to play Halo. But sure, Full Recovery knows all and let's once again discuss my buying and selling of things based on things that I've never said myself.

Shins

Banned
Here we are, still together
We are one...
So much time, wasted,
Playing games with love

So many tears I've cried
So much pain inside
But baby it ain't over 'til it's over
So many years we've tried
To keep our love alive

How many times
Did we give up
But we always worked things out
And all my doubts and fears
Kept me wondering, yeahhh
If I'd always, always be in love

So many tears I've cried
So much pain inside

So many years we've tried
And kept our love alive
'Cause baby it ain't over 'til it's over

So many tears I've cried
So much pain inside
Baby it ain't over 'til it's over

hatersgonnahatecrop.gif

JB1981

Aladuf said:
We play as a group. One day someone says "hey, wanna play Halo tonight?" and others say "sure" so then we play Halo and we have fun, so we continue to play Halo. But sure, Full Recovery knows all and let's once again discuss my buying and selling of things based on things that I've never said myself.

I'm pretty sure you told me yourself that you sold off Halo 3. In fact, I recommended playing Halo when we had our KZ-Gears 2 run and you were like "I sold that shit. No way I'm playing that again." Or maybe it was Third, dunno, but you guys are awfully fickle! :D

Kolgar

Ah, I knew you guys would come around.

Gears 2 multiplayer was broken from Day One and it's still got compound fractures coming out of its ass.

Utter failure on Epic's part, and one of my biggest disappointments of this generation.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Why does anyone care what another person/group does with their time, money and gaming? Jeese. Besides, Halo 3 is an awesome social get-together game.

Anyways, one of things it looks like they're tweaking with TU4 is in Wingman, they might replace all power weapons with ammo boxes.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Diablohead said:
If gears of war 3 doesn't use some kind of dedicated servers for it's multiplayer I think I will just rent it for the single player and not bother with the rest. The wall cover problem doesn't seem to be as big as a fuck up as many other gears bugs but the whole thing is just stupid, epic should know better.

This is by far the biggest problem with GOW2, host is more powerful now then ever despite what BS Cliffy says was fixed in GOW2.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm not done with the game but the amount of time I spend playing it has gone down dramatically. The game is like death by a thousand cuts. Every time I play I get more and more frustrated. Each week it's something new. The amount of fun you have with a game should increase over time as you get to know the maps, strategy, etc. Gears 2 is the opposite. The more you play the more you hate it. I just reached a breaking point where I said to myself "why the hell am I playing this stupid ass game so much?" At this point, I'm not playing with randoms.

I still get a lot of enjoyment playing with GAFers. If I see warbegins/kowaku/nub/etc on and I'm not playing something else I'll definitely join them because there still is fun to be had with friends. But as far as my "go-to" multiplayer games it's definitely now Halo or WaW.

cresto

JB1981 said:
You guys should jump back on the Killzone train and play TTP's Hardcore mode. It is really good.
God! I want a PS3 to play this so bad. Gears is a giant waste of an hour or 2. Whats TTP's more entail? I have no desire to sift through the kz2 forum. Please...

So, um, for whatever reason I tend to get host and my connection is this god awful up and down lag fest. Everytime I get host (practically everytime I play lonewolf) i constantly apologize thanks to my school having THAT bad of internet. I can't keep a consistent connection to save my sole. it literrally jumps a beat every minute or so and you can watch my character stutter across the screen, lol. I can't imagine what this must mean for the poor bastards having to play under these circumstances.

Why the fuck does matchmaking choose me? I really, really do not give a damn about host and prefer not to....the only thing i can come up with on my own is that the stupid connection here somehow bridges me host. either that or it actually is good at the time of match making and assumes my connection the best (fucking retarded)

zewone

16gihq0.gif

Microsoft and Epic Games deliver seven new multiplayer maps to Gears of Wars 2 in July's retail release of the Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection, finally answering the question "what is Dark Corners?"

Back in March, rumors flew about a new batch of downloadable content for Gears of Wars 2 called Dark Corners, but Epic denied that such DLC existed. Turns out that they were absolutely correct. Dark Corners is not DLC. It's a new map pack being included in the Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection, available exclusively at retail worldwide on July 28th. The collection includes all of the Gears 2 DLC to date, along with Dark Fronts, a collection of seven new multiplayer maps which you can find detailed below.

In order to make the pack worthwhile to those who've already downloaded the majority of the Gears 2 DLC, the package also contains an introduction from Cliff Bleszinski for "Road to Ruin", a collectible poster, a strategy guide, and a custom Xbox Live theme.

And the price? $19.99, £14.99, or €19.99, depending on who you're paying for the privilege of taking the package home. A great value for those who've yet to download map one for the game, though things get a bit sketchy the more you've already purchased. Extras aside, is $20 too much for seven new maps? Perhaps the map descriptions will help you decide.

The seven new multiplayer maps in the "Gears of War 2: Dark Corners" Game Add-on are:

* Allfathers Garden:
Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
* Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.
* Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
* War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
* Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it'll be a one-way trip.
* Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and "processing" are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it's better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
* Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.
196wdk.gif

I want them to add some new mulitplayer skins for characters and/or weapons, that'll be unlocked depending on the level you've earned. (and add Avatar Gears clothes as well when you've reached level 100)

Wyeth

Don't forget the new Single Player content that's included as well, for whatever reason that cut/pasted post didn't cover that part.

Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/default.aspx

FrankT

Wyeth said:
Don't forget the new Single Player content that's included as well, for whatever reason that cut/pasted post didn't cover that part.

Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode.

Oh hell yes!

zewone

Wyeth said:

Awesome!

Aladuf

Banned
This DLC news is relevant to my interests.

This game also has a fucking ridiculous amount of MP maps. Also, OMG WAR MACHINE!! :D:D

Theron-Marcus looks cool as shit too, can't wait to get into all of the stuff that this DLC offers... and get back into some Gears after my current hiatus.

bumpkin

Wyeth said:

NICE! I guess I'll hold off on buying the Snowblind Map Pack then and just get this pack when it hits stores. I've already thrown down coin for the Combustible map pack, but I'll take the hit. Maybe with any luck the various map "sets" will be downloaded with separate DLC codes like another poster mentioned/hopes. I could turn 'round and sell them, sure, but I'll probably just give them away and only keep the stuff that's new to me.

Aladuf said:
Theron-Marcus looks cool as shit too, can't wait to get into all of the stuff that this DLC offers... and get back into some Gears after my current hiatus.
Man, I miss playing with you cats. I had fun rockin' heads that month or two where I joined up on Saturday nights. RE5 has been consuming all of my weekend playtime these days. Are you guys going to be on this weekend?

Aladuf

Banned
bumpkin said:
Man, I miss playing with you cats. I had fun rockin' heads that month or two where I joined up on Saturday nights. RE5 has been consuming all of my weekend playtime these days. Are you guys going to be on this weekend?
I'm sure the few of us will play some Gears this weekend, so feel free to join in.

cresto

I know that this is good news beccause im sure we will see more of the dlc maps in the normal rotation, but god damn it ive already dropped 20 bucks into the dlc. you are telling me i have to fork over another 20 bucks for the same amount of content that they get for the retail package? thats a nice "fuck you" to me in my eyes. That is not cool at all

Holy shit am I glad I didn't buy any DLC yet now. I was actually going to buy the Snowblind maps when I got my next point card, but I think I'll wait now.

14 multiplayer maps (3 Combustible + 4 Snowblind + 7 All Fronts) and a new campaign chapter all for just $20? Good LAWD. Day 1.

zewone

RSTEIN said:
That would be quite the mindfuck if Theron Marcus was a playable character in multi. :lol
I'd thought it'd be cool too, but after thinking a bit more, it would seriously fuck up multiplayer since he'd blend in so well with the other team.

Shins

Banned
Aladuf said:
Seriously, that map being in this map pack just finally made my Gears 1 disc completely irrelevant.
Snub headshots, goofy Boltok battles, rain on Subway, and nighttime Mansion

your move

Blueblur1 said:
I'm interested in this DLC. Is Gears 2 still a glitchy mess online?

Yeah. The third patch created new issues (glitched mortar, jumpy locust models) and actually broke some previous fixes (blowing yourself through Security's lasers).

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
Snub headshots, goofy Boltok battles, rain on Subway, and nighttime Mansion

your move
Touché , asshole... touché .

edit: @ the map pix posted above, that's the one that has me the most excited. Looks like nothing else in Gears before, I love it.

whitehawk

Banned
The fuck... Such bullshit. I buy the snowblind map like a month ago, and now they tell me I could have paid an extra $10 for ALL the maps, and single player campaign? Way to treat your loyal players.

So, I'm guessing i will still be saving a bit if I get the physical game add-on right? I haven't bought the combustible.

I hope it's seperate codes so I can sell the snowblind one.

Blueblur1

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yeah. The third patch created new issues (glitched mortar, jumpy locust models) and actually broke some previous fixes (blowing yourself through Security's lasers).
Ugh. I was always hoping they would address everything but I guess not. Damn Epic.

Top Bottom