• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ergo said:
I bet they realize there is so much more wrong with it that putting more time into it wont be worth while. I hope they prove me wrong but it just seems like there are more and more problems popping up all the time.

It's been clear for a long time that the problems are a result of UE3, not just crappy netcode. There are fundamental issues that cannot be fixed. The whole engine and online code need an overhaul in tandem. This whole process of patch patch patch bandaid solutions isn't going to cut it for the next Gears. I'm definitely not going to blindly follow the hype for Gears 3. Leading up to the release of Gears 2, Cliff promised in numerous interviews that all the the Gears 1 multiplayer issues had been addressed. Well, we now know that in reality Cliff & Co. were crapping their pants behind the scenes as they realized they were unable to fix any of the problems (well, actually they made things a lot worse in some respects) :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Lately I've been going back and playing various chapters from Gears 2's campaign and man.. this campaign is so story-rich and graphically beautiful, it's unbelievable. Everything about the campaign (except for the vehicle mission) was a blast and a half.

Why doesn't Epic focus on the area Gears 2 shined the most; its campaign? Enough with the map packs.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Shoogoo said:
What happened?

One real laggy ass game and some other bullshit (host quit, some people lost connection,etc.)

RSTEIN said:
It's been clear for a long time that the problems are a result of UE3, not just crappy netcode. There are fundamental issues that cannot be fixed. The whole engine and online code need an overhaul in tandem. This whole process of patch patch patch bandaid solutions isn't going to cut it for the next Gears. I'm definitely not going to blindly follow the hype for Gears 3. Leading up to the release of Gears 2, Cliff promised in numerous interviews that all the the Gears 1 multiplayer issues had been addressed. Well, we now know that in reality Cliff & Co. were crapping their pants behind the scenes as they realized they were unable to fix any of the problems (well, actually they made things a lot worse in some respects):lol

Yeah, every time they try patch it, it always seems to create as many problems as it corrects.

Wizman23

Banned
RSTEIN said:
It's been clear for a long time that the problems are a result of UE3, not just crappy netcode. There are fundamental issues that cannot be fixed. The whole engine and online code need an overhaul in tandem. This whole process of patch patch patch bandaid solutions isn't going to cut it for the next Gears. I'm definitely not going to blindly follow the hype for Gears 3. Leading up to the release of Gears 2, Cliff promised in numerous interviews that all the the Gears 1 multiplayer issues had been addressed. Well, we now know that in reality Cliff & Co. were crapping their pants behind the scenes as they realized they were unable to fix any of the problems (well, actually they made things a lot worse in some respects) :lol

I agree. Its quite embarrassing that the glorified tech demo of Gears 1 doesn't have near the problems as Gears 2. Gears 3 is no longer on my radar.

Its still a joke that Halo 2's online system from 2004 on the original Xbox is still better then 95% of the online interfaces out there today. Can't Epic get Bungie on a conference call and ask how to make your game not suck and run like crap online?

RSTEIN said:

While that seems very probable, I just can't see an engine not being able to handle 10 person online play. Right now, the biggest source of frustration in Gears of War 2 is the shotgun. There are sometimes where I can point blank a guy (while aiming) twice and he won't die, whereas in the same game, I blindly shoot trying to evade a person, and I kill him in one shot. I wish all this shit would get fixed, I really love the core-gameplay of Gears, and that is what's been bringing me back through the shit storm that is the pvp.

Shins

Banned
well that's...

scratchhead.png

zaidr

So, is there a new exploit out, or was this just some kind of fluke?

I get into a Guardian match on Fuel Depot, and the other team has 2 Guardians. We kill one, it says "Enemy Guardian Killed", and then he respawns cause the other Guardian is still alive...We ended up winning by killing the other Guardian before the fist Guardian respawns.

But...wtf?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Maps are worthless. They have NEVER appeared on the normal map rotation. Nice going Epic. Not buying a map pack from you guys ever again, not worth it.

JB1981

Relix said:
Maps are worthless. They have NEVER appeared on the normal map rotation. Nice going Epic. Not buying a map pack from you guys ever again, not worth it.

Are they even supposed to? Or is this a joke post?

JB1981

Flunkie said:
If everyone has them.
I see. So the matchmaking is designed to recognize when all matchmade players have the same maps? That's kind of cool actually. Have a separate DLC playlists sounds like a perfectly acceptable alternative, though imo. Still, game has the worst netcode ever. EVER.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JB1981 said:
I see. So the matchmaking is designed to recognize when all matchmade players have the same maps? That's kind of cool actually. Have a separate DLC playlists sounds like a perfectly acceptable alternative, though imo. Still, game has the worst netcode ever. EVER.

At least it should try and make a match where everybody has the maps. Man. I don't wanna play King of the Hill or Annex on the new maps. I want to play Execution and Wingman. Pff... so disappointed.

Shins

Banned
Don't play alone and you will find you get the modes you want a greater amount of the time.

Or don't play the game at all. This approach ensures that you never have to play any mode you do not want to. And there's no lag. More 500 Errors though, and papercuts.

Life is full of trade-offs.

Shins said:
Don't play alone and you will find you get the modes you want a greater amount of the time.

Or don't play the game at all. This approach ensures that you never have to play any mode you do not want to. And there's no lag. More 500 Errors though, and papercuts.

Yeah, play Halo 3 instead. The matchmaking works.

Shins

Banned
Matchmaking also works flawlessly in reading my book. I'd say I get the book I want about 75% of the time. And it only takes a minute or two to turn to the right page number!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Shins said:

Don't play the game i paid over 70 for? plus the maps?

nice way of thinking there.

cresto

JB1981 said:
I have played the snowblind pack ONCE on the execution rules. The combustible map pack is there as well but the problem is no one bought them thanks to the price tag. I wish they would just release them for free. Even with me getting screwed over, at least i could actually enjoy them then.

whitehawk

Banned
ergo said:
I have played the snowblind pack ONCE on the execution rules. The combustible map pack is there as well but the problem is no one bought them thanks to the price tag. I wish they would just release them for free. Even with me getting screwed over, at least i could actually enjoy them then.
You know.. you could just select the DLC playlists..

zaidr

zaidr said:
So, is there a new exploit out, or was this just some kind of fluke?

I get into a Guardian match on Fuel Depot, and the other team has 2 Guardians. We kill one, it says "Enemy Guardian Killed", and then he respawns cause the other Guardian is still alive...We ended up winning by killing the other Guardian before the fist Guardian respawns.

But...wtf?

bamp. Anyone know if this is an exploit or a bug?

Got back into Gears 2 last night (SP) after dropping it for some reason I can't remember, and the game has been one hell of a ride, and the design of these recent levels (razor hail area to underground lake) are nothing short of jaw dropping. I think the vehicle bit ran a bit too long, but the jaw dropping environment made it less of a disappointment. And I'll be happy if the game doesn't have another scripted "action movie moment."

RSTEIN

AltogetherAndrews said:
Got back into Gears 2 last night (SP) after dropping it for some reason I can't remember, and the game has been one hell of a ride, and the design of these recent levels (razor hail area to underground lake) are nothing short of jaw dropping. I think the vehicle bit ran a bit too long, but the jaw dropping environment made it less of a disappointment. And I'll be happy if the game doesn't have another scripted "action movie moment."

The best is yet to come :D

Did something change with the matchmaking? I can't even begin to search in the Elimination playlist now, I just get told to kick myself out of the party. Same with others, but I can still get wingman, horde, and the flashback map pack.

RSTEIN

Just got a message from a friend saying that every single match is pure lag... Just started happening today.

RSTEIN said:
Just got a message from a friend saying that every single match is pure lag... Just started happening today.

I just noticed there's definitely been changes. Guardian is now in the elimination playlist, that's changed I'm pretty sure.
*EDIT*

WTF now it's back to normal?! Holy crap I have no idea what's going on.

cresto

PedroLumpy said:
I just noticed there's definitely been changes. Guardian is now in the elimination playlist, that's changed I'm pretty sure.
*EDIT*

WTF now it's back to normal?! Holy crap I have no idea what's going on.
are you sure? maybe you just didnt update since the new patch??

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ergo said:
are you sure? maybe you just didnt update since the new patch??

You can't go into the Public Xbox Live screen unless you're on Xbox Live, which means you've downloaded the latest patch.

Anyways, looks like Epic is starting to mess around with the playlists. Good.

Now give me my MLG playlist that has no chainsaw, no smokes, no frags and no mortar and I will never leave that playlist.

cresto

Domino Theory said:
You can't go into the Public Xbox Live screen unless you're on Xbox Live, which means you've downloaded the latest patch.

Now give me my MLG playlist that has no chainsaw, no smokes, no frags and no mortar and I will never leave that playlist.
I would love that MLG playlist, but i still think its good to have the lancer...

Domino Theory said:

This

cresto

Question...I registered over at the forums on the gears site and it still says I dont have the ability to post or reply anything. I registered a few months ago and never did anything about it since I don't really care but I was just curious how that works. It seems similar to here where it took some time before I was "accepted."

Domino Theory said:
stop it stop it STOP IT!

:(

p.s. you forgot no boom

NubCakes09 said:
Some fun games tonight guys, despite all the lag.
that return killsteal of mine was priceless, admit it nabblecakes

warbegins said:
stop it stop it STOP IT!

:(

p.s. you forgot no boom

that return killsteal of mine was priceless, admit it nabblecakes

I have to admit, that was pretty slick. I was about to pull out the sniper and pop his dome, and then I see you curb stomping him.

JB1981

So I played Gears solo tonight. The matchmaking was quick, the lag NOT SO BAD and the games were relatively fun.

I think part of the key to getting a decent connection in the US is to just play at night. You get paired up w/ way too many Euros in the morning or during the day.

JB1981 said:
So I played Gears solo tonight. The matchmaking was quick, the lag NOT SO BAD and the games were relatively fun.

I think part of the key to getting a decent connection in the US is to just play at night. You get paired up w/ way too many Euros in the morning or during the day.
The matchmaking is very quick, it just doesn't put you into a game that's good for your connection.

cresto

DubloSeven said:
The matchmaking is very quick, it just doesn't put you into a game that's good for your connection.
this is why i liked the gears 1 game finding mech. i would much rather just choose the game with the best connection. now if they could combine the 2 with multiple map rotations (say you actually like whomever is hosting).

I don't get why that is so damn difficult

Feindflug

I don't know about you guys but for the last few days public games are too laggy for me - much worse than before...the game after TU3 was pretty much playable for me especially during the day, now I just get paired up with guys from the US almost in every match and the bullet lag is really bad.

Is there something wrong with the game? anyone else from Europe having the same problem? :(

ergo said:
this is why i liked the gears 1 game finding mech. i would much rather just choose the game with the best connection. now if they could combine the 2 with multiple map rotations (say you actually like whomever is hosting).

I don't get why that is so damn difficult
If they used the Gears 1 interface with a ping sorter (just placing 3 "white bar" games at the top of the list), it would have been absolutely fine.

cresto

NubCakes09 said:
Well, the problem with using the Gears 1 way of searching for matches is that they couldn't have the skill system that they have now.
sure they could, but you wouldnt be matched up with people of similar rank (not that it works right anyways, not from when i remember playing)

JB1981 said:

Yeah if I am playing a live game gone midnight I end up with a lot more americans then euro people, but that's because most went to bed :D

Top Bottom