• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

NubCakes09 said:
Well, the problem with using the Gears 1 way of searching for matches is that they couldn't have the skill system that they have now.
Who gives a shit? I'd like to play the game - I don't give a toss about some arbitrary rank system.

JB1981

DubloSeven said:
Who gives a shit? I'd like to play the game - I don't give a toss about some arbitrary rank system.
Generally I would agree with you but the new ranking system is what's keeping me coming back to the game - I like the sense of progression.

DubloSeven said:

I'm just saying that's the reason why they couldn't use the Gears 1 method of finding matches.

I waited over 10 minutes for a matchmaking last night, still couldn't get a match. What is going on? Everyone is saying it's fine now, but I literally cannot play Gears for no apparent reason. I just get matched up with a team and wait forever.

JB1981 said:
Generally I would agree with you but the new ranking system is what's keeping me coming back to the game - I like the sense of progression.

A ranking system could easily still be implemented with server lists, the hard part would be matching similar skilled players up. Although it's arguable to say that the current system matches people of similar skill up.

JB1981

It's hit and miss for me. Sometimes quick, sometimes slow as ass. Flying solo doesn't help matters (for either matchmaking or winning a game).

cresto

NubCakes09 said:
I'm just saying that's the reason why they couldn't use the Gears 1 method of finding matches.
For the true skill ranking, yes it would pose a problem. but they could have done something such as simply filtering games for your rank and above or something actually intuitive like that. they had to know that the game was going to cause issues with the lag. it (along with host advantage) was one of the most prominent issues regarding the first and they basically blew their chance to fix anything. in two years they weren't able to come up with a decent solution to fix what plagues the series thus far. either they werent able to find a solution or there really is no hope for it.

I played with a party yesterday and had less decent games then bad. I don't believe the game actually can tell who has the best host. That is probably what takes the longest when it is searching for a game. parties somewhat screw this up but at the same time there should not be issues where the entire team suffers when spread out all over the country.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am getting really tired of having a 1-2 second delay on my shots rendering me practically useless. You can't do a damn thing when this happens, and it happens a LOT.

rant is over. the gears series is what drove me to get a xbox360 and im getting tired of the crap.

Shins

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Although it's arguable to say that the current system matches people of similar skill up.
I don't think there's any argument; its useless. The advantage for matchmaking comes in not having to break up a party to alter game settings, and being able to play with friends in ranked matches.

For the latter, Gears of War 2's system offers a better experience over Gears of War 1, where you would be forced to coordinate through private chat or messages on what version of Raven Down to hop into. For custom matches, it is a mixed bag because while you no longer have to start an entirely new lobby to alter settings, there is no automated map rotation making the experience much less seamless.

Though, I preferred player matches in Gears of War 1 anyway, and those allowed friends to easily find and join one anothers' games, as well as making it simple to play with a variety of people (and kick those that mess up the game through either running their mouths or having a bad connection - in-game!). All the good, none of the bad.

Still not much use pining for what's not coming.

Has anyone from Epic commented on all the glitches that are STILL in this game or the ones that were introduced with TU3? It's getting really annoying to start a match without a weapon, not being able to pick up a weapon, get stuck after picking up a weapon or after chainsawing someone. Not to mention the super fun sniper trailer on Fuel Depot and the glitched mortar. I'm probably missing a couple of glitches too, and there are still people around with a glitched level 100. Should it really take that long to remove their GS and tag them as cheaters?

cresto

AndyMoogle said:
Has anyone from Epic commented on all the glitches that are STILL in this game or the ones that were introduced with TU3? It's getting really annoying to start a match without a weapon, not being able to pick up a weapon, get stuck after picking up a weapon or after chainsawing someone. Not to mention the super fun sniper trailer on Fuel Depot and the glitched mortar. I'm probably missing a couple of glitches too, and there are still people around with a glitched level 100. Should it really take that long to remove their GS and tag them as cheaters?
There are also map glitched. Last night a guy showed me one on subway that dropped you out of the map by simply rolling into your teammate at a certain point on the stairs

ergo said:
For the true skill ranking, yes it would pose a problem. but they could have done something such as simply filtering games for your rank and above or something actually intuitive like that. they had to know that the game was going to cause issues with the lag. it (along with host advantage) was one of the most prominent issues regarding the first and they basically blew their chance to fix anything. in two years they weren't able to come up with a decent solution to fix what plagues the series thus far. either they werent able to find a solution or there really is no hope for it.

I played with a party yesterday and had less decent games then bad. I don't believe the game actually can tell who has the best host. That is probably what takes the longest when it is searching for a game. parties somewhat screw this up but at the same time there should not be issues where the entire team suffers when spread out all over the country.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am getting really tired of having a 1-2 second delay on my shots rendering me practically useless. You can't do a damn thing when this happens, and it happens a LOT.

rant is over. the gears series is what drove me to get a xbox360 and im getting tired of the crap.

While they could, and maybe should, but this is Epic we are talking about.

Someone must be a huge fan.

1024x768.jpg

so i guess Gridlock has a wall glitch now? i played a game on it last night, and every round some douche on the other team would hide by glitching into the edge of the map near spawn. best part was, it was a group of 5 that included host and yet i led the game at 10-6. oh, and my team had two bots. they were all talking shit after they won, including the two illegitimate rank 100s (one of which had a k:d ratio less than 1.0).

warbegins said:
so i guess Gridlock has a wall glitch now? i played a game on it last night, and every round some douche on the other team would hide by glitching into the edge of the map near spawn. best part was, it was a group of 5 that included host and yet i led the game at 10-6. oh, and my team had two bots. they were all talking shit after they won, including the two illegitimate rank 100s (one of which had a k:d ratio less than 1.0).
I think that glitch has always been in there. I've seen a guy get behind a wall months ago. I had to throw a gas grenade over the wall and once he was downed we could shoot him in his leg that was clipping through the wall.

AndyMoogle said:
I think that glitch has always been in there. I've seen a guy get behind a wall months ago. I had to throw a gas grenade over the wall and once he was downed we could shoot him in his leg that was clipping through the wall.

I remember in one game I was playing against bots, and I saw a bot glitched in there, and thought "wtf". It hasn't happened since so I just assumed it was a one time deal.

Restarted playing after the last updated, dl'ed new maps as well (amazing maps, love them), and I honestly don't understand why I ever stopped playing, it's really great playing this online. Not as much connection problems as before either, works great.

g23

European pre-madonna
WTF is wrong with Annex mode? Does anyone else get serious lag issues...I mean the game would actually be fun online if it always didn't lag....

Also anyone else play this game regularly? Sorta like a GAF clan/group squad thingy? Please let me in :)

my gt is : gino23

JB1981

I've been playing this game by myself this week and I'm having a lot of fun. I feel that the netcode has gotten quite a bit better w/ the new update. I have also had very few players drop out. Games have been even. Very good update.

You know, I'm pretty sure the Brumak is the most awesome looking, and acting, monstrous creature in action game history. Which makes it all the sadder that the encounters with the creatures are limited to distant and fairly forgiving fights. The PC version had the right idea, but I really would have liked to see that expanded upon a bit.

Totally serious. I'd go as far as to say that I don't envy the poor developer trying to make a game with monsters post-Gears, although that's obviously due to the Horde as a whole. But the Brumak is just fuck awesome. Did you play the PC version? Going up against one of those things on-foot made them feel all the more lethal (the fact that the fight itself was tame is a different matter).

Wells.gif

cresto

AltogetherAndrews said:
Totally serious. I'd go as far as to say that I don't envy the poor developer trying to make a game with monsters post-Gears, although that's obviously due to the Horde as a whole. But the Brumak is just fuck awesome. Did you play the PC version? Going up against one of those things on-foot made them feel all the more lethal (the fact that the fight itself was tame is a different matter).

Wells.gif
i think the chick spread eagle and sitting atop one of them is more sexy

it would have been so fucking awesome to go face to face with a brumak and some how duke it out without the rockets. HELLZ yEAH TO THAT

Ending of this game was fail. Seriously, how fucking anticlimatic was that?

g23 said:
WTF is wrong with Annex mode? Does anyone else get serious lag issues...I mean the game would actually be fun online if it always didn't lag....

Also anyone else play this game regularly? Sorta like a GAF clan/group squad thingy? Please let me in :)

my gt is : gino23

Annex always has issues with the framerate, one of the reasons I dislike it so much.

Heres a link to the list of people that (kind of?) play Gears of War 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356809

cresto

NubCakes09 said:
Annex always has issues with the framerate, one of the reasons I dislike it so much.

Heres a link to the list of people that (kind of?) play Gears of War 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356809
wow warbegins and I are the only ones of that list on the west coast. How horrible -_-

You know what I have notices? Avalanche has horrible frame rate issues as well. If there is a crap load of smokes and activity in the 'pit' area then my frames go to shit. I can't remember if this was there when i had the game installed but I have since removed that thanks to my 20 gig HDD being unusable with it installed.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I play Gears 2 every night - only thing is is that it's usually with a full party of friends...

And I wish Epic would just get rid of matching Europeans with people from Brazil, Mexico, and surprisingly Spain, because whenever there is horrible lag, it is guaranteed to be one of those three for me...

I even have great matches against US hosts just fine, it's just those three really...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
back to playing gears tonight, noticed new level system, quite a nice enticement to keep at it, level 1 now though after getting to 3 stripes!

does the stupid shotgun hipfire still shoot into the ground? I'm bloody used to aim firing now but its infuriatingly ineffective.

got the snow maps.

gt : kaizoku7

uk player, up for a game with anyone provided you're around at that time, used to playing with american lag!

I wanna do some horde, only have the snow maps, no combustibles.

JB1981

Question about the shotgun: do you guys generally AIM with the shotgun or do you just shoot from the hip? I'm trying to figure out why I get so owned in shotgun duels

kaizoku said:
back to playing gears tonight, noticed new level system, quite a nice enticement to keep at it, level 1 now though after getting to 3 stripes!

does the stupid shotgun hipfire still shoot into the ground? I'm bloody used to aim firing now but its infuriatingly ineffective.

got the snow maps.

gt : kaizoku7

uk player, up for a game with anyone provided you're around at that time, used to playing with american lag!

I wanna do some horde, only have the snow maps, no combustibles.

Blind firing the shotgun will not cause the bullets to go into the ground.

gt: NubCakes09
Question about the shotgun: do you guys generally AIM with the shotgun or do you just shoot from the hip? I'm trying to figure out why I get so owned in shotgun duels

This confuses me as well. Generally I aim, but I have heard it's more effective to blindfire.

JB1981 said:
Last night I got docked 1500 experience points because a teammate left the game early. Is this a bug?
Yeah that has happened to a friend as well. Yet another glorious glitch in this mess of a game.

JB1981

So I popped in the original Gears of War the other night and I gotta say, Gears of War 2 is vastly superior in basically every way.

When the game first debuted I didn't realize how many subtle tweaks they made to the gameplay. The roadie run is now much easier to control and the animation tweaks are more fluid. The shotgun in the first game is a completely different beast altogether. The rate of fire is much faster and the kickback is much, much less. Believe it or not, the shotgun lag in multiplayer has been improved (from what I can tell). Yes there are times where your bullets don't register but in Gears 1 not only do the bullets not register they seem to evaporate in thin air. I also like the new 'duck' animation whilst taking enemy fire. I have been playing a lot of the multiplayer by myself and I have to say, I enjoy it. I fucking hate the lag and the host advantage but the matchmaking has been fast and the netcode has been manageable. I have had pretty good luck teaming up with players that seem to play together too. It is also pretty amazing how much the new grenades affect the gameplay - ultimately I think they add a level of strategy that was not present in the first game. Sometimes this results in too much camping but by and large, I'd say I see less camping than I used to.

I might go so far as to say this may be the most strategic multiplayer game I've played on the 360 to date. I play by myself a lot so if anybody wants to get a game going sometime let me know.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Had no idea that had anything to do with host - I just figured it was some kind of extra safety of being in cover - oh well...

Until that actually gets me killed somehow someway, it doesn't bother me in the slightest...

Mohonky

Tomcat said:

A bug? In Gears of War 2? What is the world coming too!!

I traded my copy of Gears of War 2. I am just so sick of all the shit with the game. The bugs, the glitches and the lag. Then the whole 'we can't region filter Aussie games because there aren't enough people playing it aka if your an Aussie you're fucked' I just can't justify keeping it.

They don't seem to have a problem releasing new map packs and charging for them but they seem to have a problem with getting the game to work. Nice one boys.

If gears of war 3 doesn't use some kind of dedicated servers for it's multiplayer I think I will just rent it for the single player and not bother with the rest. The wall cover problem doesn't seem to be as big as a fuck up as many other gears bugs but the whole thing is just stupid, epic should know better.

kaizoku

JB1981 said:
So I popped in the original Gears of War the other night and I gotta say, Gears of War 2 is vastly superior in basically every way.

When the game first debuted I didn't realize how many subtle tweaks they made to the gameplay. The roadie run is now much easier to control and the animation tweaks are more fluid. The shotgun in the first game is a completely different beast altogether. The rate of fire is much faster and the kickback is much, much less. Believe it or not, the shotgun lag in multiplayer has been improved (from what I can tell). Yes there are times where your bullets don't register but in Gears 1 not only do the bullets not register they seem to evaporate in thin air. I also like the new 'duck' animation whilst taking enemy fire. I have been playing a lot of the multiplayer by myself and I have to say, I enjoy it. I fucking hate the lag and the host advantage but the matchmaking has been fast and the netcode has been manageable. I have had pretty good luck teaming up with players that seem to play together too. It is also pretty amazing how much the new grenades affect the gameplay - ultimately I think they add a level of strategy that was not present in the first game. Sometimes this results in too much camping but by and large, I'd say I see less camping than I used to.

I might go so far as to say this may be the most strategic multiplayer game I've played on the 360 to date. I play by myself a lot so if anybody wants to get a game going sometime let me know.

there's definitely some improvements, the netcode, as inconsistent as it is, is probably better. I put that down to the kind of players and hosts that still play gears 1 though. I can never find a good game on gears 1 anymore, always get team killers or n00bs or laggy games etc.

I still prefer A LOT of gameplay from gears 1. When I went back to it, I found out how rubbish I was after a year of not playing it and then going back after adapting to gears 2.

Gears 1 will fucking punish your ass if you do not get in cover. The sniper can dominate a map in the right hands with its one hit downs. Contrast with gears 2 where you almost get punished for USING cover, it slows down your reaction times and makes it impossible to dodge incoming smokes. and because of the nature of the weapons now, using cover isn't really useful, you're better off just running round a corner or strafing back and forth.

and thats what I miss about gears 1. alot more cover was used and it felt like the terrain meant something. when you left cover, it was a risk, you had to think about your strategy more I felt. If you saw someone in cover, you better get your ass in cover too cos going near them means you're dead.

players would manouvre around the various cover to change angles, distract enemies, flank em and so on. alot of players still chose not to, but the nature of the gameplay often encouraged it.

also it means in laggy games you still have a chance, you can use cover and grenades or chainsaw to somehow eke out some kills or at least survive. that just isnt the case now.

but the thing I miss most? I used to play gears on my own for hours and I'd end up finding a bunch of cool guys and play with them for ages. I'd end up adding them to my friends list, and we'd play every day nearly and really get to know each other. thats just not possible on this game.

xbox live is so quiet now thanks to party chat

kaizoku said:
xbox live is so quiet now thanks to party chat
Party chat should automaticly disable when in RANKED games, it's the one flaw in the entire live system I hate.

What's the point of me using a headset in public ranked if everyone and their dogs are in party chats with people playing call of duty or castle crashers? Microsoft need to do something about it, maybe the game could bring up a pop up saying that you can not enter ranked matches in party chat.

Diablohead said:
Party chat should automaticly disable when in RANKED games, it's the one flaw in the entire live system I hate.

What's the point of me using a headset in public ranked if everyone and their dogs are in party chats with people playing call of duty or castle crashers? Microsoft need to do something about it, maybe the game could bring up a pop up saying that you can not enter ranked matches in party chat.

Party chat takes the edge off of a lot of games. For example, in Gears of War 2, you don't need to worry about grenade plants because your friends will spot them for you, and you will always know where the other player is. Sure, the other team may also be in a party chat, but there are plenty of times where that is not the case.

They really do need to fix that.

Zezboob

Tomcat said:
Mindblown, it has to do with the fact being the host or not. :lol

It happened to me tons of times. Personally I only get pissed when your reticule is red and the enemy is bleeding, it's just stupid and another proof that too much information is handled by the host. It's should be CSHD doing its work.

Diablohead said:

Big problem, Gears doesn't have social matchmaking.
And if the guy prefer to speak with his friends playing COD or Castle Crasher, it's his choice. He doesn't want to bother with strangers.

Now NubCakes09 definitely has a point, it breaks the balance of some games.

Personally I am strongly against removing party chat, too much english people think that english is only authorized language on Live and start to mock, bitch, cry etc.
Now I don't have to loose my time with assholes anymore.

And I don't even speak about the other team... in this case H3 proposed a mute option for everyone except for your friends and teammates. The kind of thing that doesn't require a lot of work and should be in EVERY game.

As of now I'm done with the game. I'm done with Epic adding smokes/cheap weapons for twelve-year-olds and changing core gameplay mechanics to help compensate for lag. I would be ashamed of myself if I was behind the multiplayer of this "AAA" title. Adapting is one thing, but the level of repetition regarding player tactics in this game is a joke.

kaizoku

so I'm in cover with a boomshot, 2 guys approaching down a narrow corridor, I should have control of the passageway at least. The combination of weapon, me being in cover and terrain should mean they need to think about another way or at least a flanking manouvre of some sort.

Instead they don't need to worry at all. Just chuck a smoke grenade, I physically can't get away in time and they rush me. Thats not strategy.

second time, someone plants poison, I blow it, wait for it to clear and run in to kill em off, turns out they planted a smoke too.

then you see someone camping with frags on both exits. surely its a better game without that stuff.

Concussion blasts on smoke grenades totally ruined this game's multiplayer for me. I've really, really tried to be open-minded about it, but I can't. It's broken garbage. Whoever at Epic that came up with that idea needs to be drawn and quartered.

JB1981

AnEternalEnigma said:
Concussion blasts on smoke grenades totally ruined this game's multiplayer for me. I've really, really tried to be open-minded about it, but I can't. It's broken garbage. Whoever at Epic that came up with that idea needs to be drawn and quartered.

I think they added the frag planting because they felt it would minimize the run and gun shotgunin' nature of the first game.

JB1981

ThirdEngine said:
As of now I'm done with the game. I'm done with Epic adding smokes/cheap weapons for twelve-year-olds and changing core gameplay mechanics to help compensate for lag. I would be ashamed of myself if I was behind the multiplayer of this "AAA" title. Adapting is one thing, but the level of repetition regarding player tactics in this game is a joke.

I still can't get over the fact that you guys went back to Halo 3. Full-Recovery had you guys pegged to a 'T.' He made a post a while back about how if just ONE of you guys were convinced to play Halo 3 all of you would be back to playing it in no time. I believe Aladuf even sold his copy of Halo 3 ... shit is kinda hysterical

Top Bottom