• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Soul4ger

I played a Wingman game on Avalanche with a friend last night, and, I kid you not, I must've been smoked down, consecutively, for at least a minute. I started by the mortar stairs, on the right side if you're looking at mortar from the middle. We went up the stairs, and got pasted from both sides, people coming from normal spawn and from the other side of mortar. The sad thing was, I was in a corner and no one could see me, so I just kept getting downed and downed and downed... until, eventually, everyone else had killed each other and I died by the one team that was left. Most frustrating thing ever. I'd start to roll away from one that seemed like it was at least five yards away, and plap! I'd be sprawled in the corner again.

I really hope they just do the mortar stun effect, like that one guy said above.

And I like wall-tagging, within reason. When all five members of a team camp and tag 10 different spots, it's fucking stupid. But when it's like one on four, and you're running around trying to survive, tagging can be HUGE strategically. I've won several games on like Jacinto or Ruins, where it's me against a few enemies, and I'll just scoot around, grab power weapons and plant shit, taking them out one at a time. I like that aspect.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wait they're removing the smoke ragdoll effect? Jesus.

Haven't been looking at Gears 2 updates/info since TU3, what else is to come?

Tomcat

Prepare for Old School Weekend

May 22, 9 AM EST-May 26, 9 AM EST, Public multiplayer matches go the way of Gears 1 with 4-player squads and Smoke Grenades that don't concuss. Check gearsofwar.com for details.

cresto

warbegins said:
i've wanted the brief frozen-in-place/cringe animation that happens when a friendly mortar hits you to be the smoke grenade effect since i first saw my character fly down a set of stairs like it were a slip n slide. smokes would still fill the role of being a meatshield and boomshield counter without defining how every fucking round plays out.

if they can do something with the netcode and host bridging then the game will be a whole new experience.
war, we gotta hit up this game tomorrow or saturday! i can't wait to play gears without smoke knock down! too bad they are dropping the number of players from 10 to 8. weird

ergo said:
war, we gotta hit up this game tomorrow or saturday! i can't wait to play gears without smoke knock down! too bad they are dropping the number of players from 10 to 8. weird

Yeah, I didn't hear too many complaining about 5v5.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Tomcat said:
Prepare for Old School Weekend

Whoa - not just for being that soon, but for bringing down the teams to teams of 4 again? That's gonna feel pretty different, no doubt about that...

Glad we didn't have to end up waiting long at all for this no smoke ragdoll test, I have a good feeling that I'm going to miss the effect...

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
RSTEIN said:
Great. They decide to take away smokes and my 360 dies. FUCK.

Aww man sorry to hear this. When did this happen? Because I remember seeing you on Monday.

And -PXG- can you hook me up with an avatar?

Kydd BlaZe

Epic....just give us a Hardcore playlist that consists of the following:

• No smoke grenades
  • No wall tagging
  • No chainsaws [in fact, the Hammerburst should be the default/only option]

That is all...

-PXG-

Sometimes I actually create my own (from my own artwork), and sometimes I use other people's work. Send me a PM of what you want (preferably something someone else made, since I am pretty busy nowadays).

A Hardcore playlist wouldn't be a bad idea

cresto

Kydd BlaZe said:

• No smoke grenades
  • No wall tagging

That is all...
You know how unrealistic that is? No way epic would do something like that. What's the big deal with the Lancer? If smokes are disabled, I don't see the chainsaw being an issue. The Lancer is sort of like gears' defining weapon. Wall tagging isn't horrible, but the timing needs to be altered so that there's an actual chance to escape the blast radius.

I like the general feel for the game, but nade concussion must go.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Kydd BlaZe said:

That is all...

MLG does this, and I thank them for it.

But a playlist like you mention will be god like for rank

Kydd BlaZe

ergo said:
You know how unrealistic that is? No way epic would do something like that. What's the big deal with the Lancer? If smokes are disabled, I don't see the chainsaw being an issue. The Lancer is sort of like gears' defining weapon. Wall tagging isn't horrible, but the timing needs to be altered so that there's an actual chance to escape the blast radius.

The Lancer's chainsaw is such a bailout weapon, IMO. It's not like im asking for it to be removed from the entire game. Just include a playlist where it's disabled. The chainsaw nubs can run amuk everywhere else.

And what's so unrealistic about this???

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
All they have to do is bring back the shotgun from Gears 1 (aka a non baby back bitch shotgun) and I'll make the switch. All the other shit they're doing is icing on a cake that hasn't been made yet.

cresto

Kydd BlaZe said:
The Lancer's chainsaw is such a bailout weapon, IMO. It's not like im asking for it to be removed from the entire game. Just include a playlist where it's disabled. The chainsaw nubs can run amuk everywhere else.

Sorry I wrote that poorly, I mean that it'd be a long shot for epic to do this. The lancer is their baby, but who knows...they've really listened to the community more than I think I've ever seen a company do for us. They really did understand how frustrating things are and have done their best to correct it. ::claps: thanks epic!

Edit: I'd really like to see the nade timer increased so that only one set of grenades appear in each round.

B-Ri

Kydd BlaZe said:

No removal, its stick needs to be a lot more predictable and defined, and so does being able to cause the player to lower it. So many times ive played and shot a good shot gun round into the upper chest head area of an incoming chainsaw, only to have the shot fly through them as the animation jolts him in front of me and starts the process.

also, walltagging should not go, it just should be more containable. Slow down the respawn of grenades like they did the sniper.

ergo said:

Wall tags aren't hard to get away from....I set them off and jump out of range all the damn time. Didn't they tweak them once already, like in TU2?

whitehawk

Banned
LOVING THE NEWS!!!!

Also, I've noticed that I am host like 95% of time recently, but apparently I have a shit connection, so more than half the other team quits.

Why is Gears choosing me for host if I have a shit connection? Also, I used to have a great host connection, what happened?

whitehawk said:
LOVING THE NEWS!!!!

Also, I've noticed that I am host like 95% of time recently, but apparently I have a shit connection, so more than half the other team quits.

Why is Gears choosing me for host if I have a shit connection? Also, I used to have a great host connection, what happened?

Are you basing your shit connection just off the fact that people are quitting? Lots of people quit just becuase they're losing or because they didn't get host. I get crappy hosts sometimes that I'm sure have fine connections, but they're 3000 miles away.

whitehawk

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Are you basing your shit connection just off the fact that people are quitting? Lots of people quit just becuase they're losing or because they didn't get host. I get crappy hosts sometimes that I'm sure have fine connections, but they're 3000 miles away.
No, I mean I've had a person tell me that the had a red screen for a few minutes, they are warping everywhere. I also see people unable to move, and spawning without weapons. I don't get it. Why am I chosen for host?

On the bright side, it's really helping my K/D ratio.

whitehawk said:
No, I mean I've had a person tell me that the had a red screen for a few minutes, they are warping everywhere. I also see people unable to move, and spawning without weapons. I don't get it. Why am I chosen for host?

You should test your speed to see how much worse its gotten and call you ISP and ask them what the fuck happened.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I thought that when the Old-school style play was posted last night, that it was just announced today to be starting on Monday, not actually starting TODAY till Monday - nice!

And again, that's gonna be pretty strange for us, because we always have more than 5 guys ready to play at all times as is, and now it's gonna be harder with just 4...

Memorial looks damn good too.

whitehawk said:

Gears 2 seems to randomnly choose host between party leaders/people searching alone, which is what me and my friends have found ourselves over the past few months, and if your connection is supposed to be good but even though your ISP may have problems, you still can be picked to be host...

Latest example of this was last night how a friend of mine has 50 MB down/ 30 MB up speeds and has been having strange lag/disconnects in any online game, and found out that he was host last night even though he had strange things happen in his match while the rest of us were fine - I told him to finally suck it up and call his ISP today because he usually gets that no-weapon spawn and bullet lag while the rest of us don't - you should call your ISP as well too.

USD

Wait, nobody's posted about actually playing old-school yet? I'm starting up the game now, guess I'll do it myself.

USD

Yeah, smokes induce the friendly mortar stun. It's not very long, not long enough to break up stalemates or charge in with the shotgun (from the distance most people throw smokes), but I guess that's what people want. Not liking the reduction in players so far, mostly because I seem to play with shitty people (not that I'm amazing myself, not yet at least) or have shitty matchmaking.

Also, somehow I died from picking up a meatshield (with my death indicated by the meatshield sign). Never had that happen before.

mattso

sounds like I'm gonna be playing a lot of this this weekend.

I was thinking about booting it up and playing some horde the other day actually but I think I'd rather take advantage of the non-concussing smokes

USD

I don't really care for either of the changes, in Annex at least. Both the changes favor the defending team. If you've got yourself a nice squad (or at least one good person to play with), I guess you'll like it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother unless you're just that good.

I already love it.

First game, Warzone @ Avalanche. A guy tags a smoke up near mortar/grinder spawn. I trigger it, but I only do that arm-over-face thing instead of going down in a ragdoll pile. He runs up to me, but I'm still able to defend myself and eventually win a shotgun battle.

This shit is so much more fair now.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The smoke changes make no sense at all, especially in Annex...

I even let myself get stunned by an oncoming smoke that I could have easily dodged, you don't even get stunned for a second, and you can roll away immediately... I hope the ones who were asking specifically for that type of stun are happy to see that it really does nothing at all...

Bring it back to the way it was Epic, just make sure to work on the ragdoll oddities because I'm not digging how it is right now - the nice thing is that you guys let the gamers taste it for themselves first-hand...

Tomcat

Skilotonn said:
Bring it back to the way it was Epic, just make sure to work on the ragdoll oddities because I'm not digging how it is right now - the nice thing is that you guys let the gamers taste it for themselves first-hand...

You are not digging it but the majority does. This change is for the better

cresto

Skilotonn said:
The smoke changes make no sense at all, especially in Annex...

I even let myself get stunned by an oncoming smoke that I could have easily dodged, you don't even get stunned for a second, and you can roll away immediately... I hope the ones who were asking specifically for that type of stun are happy to see that it really does nothing at all...

Why in any persons right mind you would want it where you were constantly spamming the smoke? that makes no sense at all... I don't see the pleasure in relying so heavily on smokes. This actually makes blood drive fun

Top Bottom