• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Ramirez

Skilotonn said:
The smoke changes make no sense at all, especially in Annex...

I even let myself get stunned by an oncoming smoke that I could have easily dodged, you don't even get stunned for a second, and you can roll away immediately... I hope the ones who were asking specifically for that type of stun are happy to see that it really does nothing at all...

Bring it back to the way it was Epic, just make sure to work on the ragdoll oddities because I'm not digging how it is right now - the nice thing is that you guys let the gamers taste it for themselves first-hand...

Some how I just KNEW you would want the old smoke nades. :lol

Tomcat said:
The game is definitely better now. The ragdoll effect was a joke. The man who thought of it should be shot
The ragdoll effect works well in UT3 but there are a few differences, firstly in UT3 it's only when you get shot on a board and second, you get up much much faster with a fancy flip instead of a crawl to your feet. The flip would look too cheesy in gears where they are trying to be a little less OTT then unreal, so you are down for way too long.

It's how I see it.

Tomcat said:
The game is definitely better now. The ragdoll effect was a joke. The man who thought of it should be shot
Not only does the ragdoll effect look ridiculous, it also had all sorts of stupid side effects such as flying towards the enemies, flying through bridges both up and down, flying through walls and getting stuck, glitching out of the map. Without the stupid knockdown effect some glitches are gone right away, and the game is a lot more fun because of it.

Let's hope that TU4 will fix most of the other glitches.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Tomcat said:
You are not digging it but the majority does. This change is for the better

It won't make a difference to me either way since I'm used to how the old smoke worked, and the new ones just, do nothing to benefit you unless you're up close, so it's all good - I never had to rely on them to make kills regardless...

ergo said:
Why in any persons right mind you would want it where you were constantly spamming the smoke? that makes no sense at all... I don't see the pleasure in relying so heavily on smokes. This actually makes blood drive fun

I don't get constantly pelted with smokes to begin with, and any time I'm a mode like KotH or Annex, I and the rest of the team are always spread out looking out for flying smoke grenades - like I mentioned before, I never had to rely on them to begin with, so in the end it doesn't really matter if they keep the new smokes, it's just that they've dropped in usefulness big time for the few times I might put them to use...

Ramirez said:
Some how I just KNEW you would want the old smoke nades. :lol

I'm too used to the way they were, plain & simple - they weren't perfect because of the oddities with the ragdoll, but they could save your ass when it came down to the last wire, or push for the last few points to win a capture game...

I'd rather they fix the ragdoll than to drop it completely, but whatever happens, happens.

Skilotonn said:
The smoke changes make no sense at all, especially in Annex...

I even let myself get stunned by an oncoming smoke that I could have easily dodged, you don't even get stunned for a second, and you can roll away immediately... I hope the ones who were asking specifically for that type of stun are happy to see that it really does nothing at all...

Bring it back to the way it was Epic, just make sure to work on the ragdoll oddities because I'm not digging how it is right now - the nice thing is that you guys let the gamers taste it for themselves first-hand...

Umm, no. The smoke changes for Gears 2 made no sense at all. Epic is now trying to fix their incredibly stupid mistake.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Now they just need to reduce chainsaw suction, wall-tagging (make it one tag per person, not two and it should just blow up if you die) and no melees while holding a meatshield and we'll have an awesome game. :D

whitehawk

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Now they just need to reduce chainsaw suction, wall-tagging (make it one tag per person, not two and it should just blow up if you die) and no melees while holding a meatshield and we'll have an awesome game. :D
Why? If you're dumb enough to go right up to a guy with a meat shield, you deserve to die.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Oh my God, Gears 2 will be amazing for the next couple days. During my first non-smoke stun game (Annex on Pavilion), I was just laughing the whole time. I saw people backflipping away from smokes being thrown yelling "it doesn't do shit, idiot!!!" and when people threw them at me, I yelled again "it doesn't do shit, idiot!!!" and laughed all the way to the bank.

Everytime I saw a smoke grenade tagged on a wall, I laughed so hard and ran past it for the lolz saying "look how much time you wasted tagging this here".

It's amazing how noob friendly the smoke grenades used to be, the biggest scapegoat in all of online gaming (aside from a Meatshield) and now that it's not here, people who depended on it so much just get destroyed. Fucking love it.

ergo said:
war, we gotta hit up this game tomorrow or saturday! i can't wait to play gears without smoke knock down! too bad they are dropping the number of players from 10 to 8. weird
i would but i'm gonna be out of town until monday. i'll probably hop on for some games monday night though.

i tried a game to see how the smoke change affects the flow of everything and, more importantly, if 4v4 would reduce the rampant lag problems. the new smokes are awesome, sure. after a dozen point blank shotgun blasts failed to do shit, though, it's obvious that Epic's host selection and netcode are still some of the worst out there. half a second of shotgun lag is unacceptable, and i've pretty much moved on until they can get their shit in order.

for reference, i used to get host all the fucking time. at least 1/3 of the games i played i would pull host, and those playing with me always seemed happy. fast forward to today, where i am lucky to get host once in a day's worth of heavy play. seems like the only time host is ever given to me now is in the middle of the night. fuck bridgers.

-PXG-

I'm so used to 5v5 now. Some maps are too big for 4v4. But keep that smoke knock down bullshit out. It's so much better now, without it. I can't believe there are people (not on GAF) that actually support the smoke concussion. Really?

-PXG- said:
I'm so used to 5v5 now. Some maps are too big for 4v4. But keep that smoke knock down bullshit out. It's so much better now, without it. I can't believe there are people (not on GAF) that actually support the smoke concussion. Really?
The people who go for cheap kills I guess. Maybe it was the only way they play.

-PXG-

Diablohead said:
The people who go for cheap kills I guess. Maybe it was the only way they play.

Yeah, cocksuckers who:

A) Two-piece
B) Smoke you, and over over you with a chainsaw
C) Kill you with a wall planted frag

aka, people who suck at the game.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
oh snap, I'm so glad I decided to open this thread today. Will be hitting this up.

I was close to getting dependant on the smokes as well, but only in this 'climate', it really is the only way to fight back.

Gears should be about creeping around behind cover, its as much about tactical maneuvering as it is skill and firepower. i.e. if its 1 on 1 and you're both behind cover, you have to move between covers to get a better angle and the other guy does the same or retreats. Its cat and mouse. I have never had that kinda tense standoff in gears 2. Everyone just rushes off with their smokes and does whatever.

and on the same note, bring back sniper active reloads actually having a purpose. if a guy has a sniper aimed at a bridge, you don't just rush it knowing full well that the sniper will not hit your head and you'll be at the other side by the time he reloads. sure one hit downs can be ultra powerful, but thats when you move in twos or more so you can revive each other. basically if there's a sniper about you have to play accordingly, they're supposed to be really powerful, dominate large areas if in the right hands and used from the right positions. this is where I used to use smokes for cover!

if a sniper is camping somewhere, you have to work as a team to get him, or use your wits at least a little bit (or a rival sniper!). I hate that you can just smoke him or even rush him and unless he's lucky enough to get a headshot he's dead.

another major balance tweak, WTF@melees?

I don't know if its just me, but when I melee someone with whatever weapon which has a heavy reliance on melee i.e. torque, pistol, sniper, they get stunned, fine. but then when I try to melee again, they just blast me to bits with one shotgun blast. WTF? They recover from my melee faster than I do? That shit is just flat out imbalanced.

If they melee'd back and stunned me, I could cope, but flat out KO because I couldn't recover from my own attack fast enough? FUCK OFF.

Shins

Banned
A sniper rife in the "right hands" means that the person will get head shots nearly every time. You shouldn't be dominating a game because you were able to hit someone in the calf with an active. If you're not good enough to get a head shot consistently, don't pick up a sniper rifle and expect to dominate with it. You don't have the skill to do so, and you shouldn't be able to control anything. Instant-down active shots are as much of a crutch and annoyance as concussive smoke grenades.

Melee should not be your first action in close quarters either; get a few shots in with the Hammerburst or shotgun, or even pistol first, then melee, and you'll nearly always knock the person down. Mashing "B" isn't the way.

No kind of spamming should be rewarded by this game. Not active reloads. Not smoke grenades, not melee.

bumpkin

-PXG- said:
Yeah, cocksuckers who:

A) Two-piece
B) Smoke you, and over over you with a chainsaw
C) Kill you with a wall planted frag

aka, people who suck at the game.
I'll agree on A and B being lame tactics, but C is really a solid defense mechanism for establishing a perimeter. I just hate it when they're planted in/near the spawn points. *That* shit is ridiculously cheap given that the re-spawn delay can be the difference between winning and losing during Annex or KOTH matches.

LowParry

Went to try out this new smoke tag with 4v4. I like it. Makes the game much much more enjoyable. Although I'm still miffed about how you can't have just Warzone/Execution with any of the DLC packs. I really would enjoy that.

-PXG-

Dark FaZe said:
Has there ever been a game with party system matchmaking AND server lists for non ranked matches?

Don't think so. Didn't MS want Epic to do matchmaking, because of TrueSkill?

A sniper rife in the "right hands" means that the person will get head shots nearly every time. You shouldn't be dominating a game because you were able to hit someone in the calf with an active. If you're not good enough to get a head shot consistently, don't pick up a sniper rifle and expect to dominate with it. You don't have the skill to do so, and you shouldn't be able to control anything. Instant-down active shots are as much of a crutch and annoyance as concussive smoke grenades.

QFT

kaizoku

Shins said:

Melee should not be your first action in close quarters either; get a few shots in with the Hammerburst or shotgun, or even pistol first, then melee, and you'll nearly always knock the person down. Mashing "B" isn't the way.

No kind of spamming should be rewarded by this game. Not active reloads. Not smoke grenades, not melee.

what a load of elitist bullshit.

you don't just pick apart bits of the game and say "crap crap crap, spam, crap"

what you're basically saying is melee is not a viable weapon in this game because spamming doesn't work? >_< what the fuck are you talking about????

what do you do with your shotgun? Nothing but shoot and shoot I imagine. Is that spam? No its a weapon and its deadly from med-short range, but the typical counter for the shotgun is melee or another shotgun!

If someone gets close to me, and I have a torque bow and I dodge their first shotgun blast and melee them, that should be advantage me. they should not be able to turn round and blast me regardless.

If I melee them then go to melee them again, an acceptable escape for shotgun-dude is a counter-melee if they do it quick enough and THEN they can blast me. That's just building off the typical rock paper scissor thing.

If melee is not useful in close range, when is it useful?

As for the sniper, the very nature of a sniper's pros and cons are:

pros:
- long range
- 'deadly' stopping power

cons:
- slow to reload
- one shot at a time
- hard to aim
- leaves you vulnerable while you're aiming
- almost useless from short range

feel free to add to either list!

My scenario requires the sniper to first of all get to the weapon and claim it. Not always easily done. Then they have to get into a good position, on most maps using a sniper will leave you blind on all sides and very vulnerable. On maps where you have a good camping place i.e. River, you have a rival sniper to contend with on top of everything else.

THEN you have to watch the map for enemies whilst avoiding the other sniper, AND getting your active reload in. and thats before you even take a shot at anyone.

Active reload downs are just as annoying as smokes? Did you not read my post then? If you know there's a sniper on the other team who has a habit of taking you down, you keep your head down ffs. you sneak around, you find out where he is standing and you sneak behind him. Or maybe you act as a decoy while a team mate goes behind him. Never watched a film with a sniper in it? People don't just run out in the open when a sniper is around.

You can easily avoid an active reload sniper, even if you run around in the open its hardly a guaranteed down, it still takes skill to hit you, you can zig zag, move unpredictably or you could always just play carefully. whereas with a smoke there's no way whatsoever of avoiding it other than to SCATTER in any direction, and thats not usually enough.

Just a thought but it would be nice if sniper increased in attack power over range, so an active up close is just a near death while half way over the map like snipers are suppose to do, down's someone. It would cut down the close range active down's and stomps, maybe. Depends if you play warzone or not.

Shins

Banned
Melee is not viable on its own, no. If running into someone and jamming on "B" always left you in an advantageous position, that would be a bad thing. Shoot, and melee to finish them off. It's called "two-piecing" and it's something that you whine about when it's done to you, and then you do it to everyone else because that's how you win. I never said melee wasn't useful. I said it wasn't useful on its own. It's obviously very useful if you apply it in the proper situations. The scenarios you describe, you melee and expect it to be decided, with you as the victor. I would have melee'd, then rolled away and shot at the person before coming backing in for another melee.

You apologetic approach to explaining why instant-down active sniper shots are okay assumes far too much about an ideal match where teammates actually coordinate. In the ideal scenario, there's nothing bad about concussive smoke either. If you want to make a case for any system in this game, you can. I'd prefer to be more realistic in my appraisal. Most games are fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants with no communication or plan of action on either side.

If you think the sniper rifle isn't useful close-up, or that it's hard to aim, you're not very good with it.

ps if I sound elitist it's just because I'm just so much better than you that it's hard for me to come down to your level

kaizoku

Shins said:
Melee is not viable on its own, no. If running into someone and jamming on "B" always left you in an advantageous position, that would be a bad thing. Shoot, and melee to finish them off. It's called "two-piecing" and it's something that you whine about when it's done to you, and then you do it to everyone else because that's how you win. I never said melee wasn't useful. I said it wasn't useful on its own. It's obviously very useful if you apply it in the proper situations. The scenarios you describe, you melee and expect it to be decided, with you as the victor. I would have melee'd, then rolled away and shot at the person before coming backing in for another melee.

You apologetic approach to explaining why instant-down active sniper shots are okay assumes far too much about an ideal match where teammates actually coordinate. In the ideal scenario, there's nothing bad about concussive smoke either. If you want to make a case for any system in this game, you can. I'd prefer to be more realistic in my appraisal. Most games are fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants with no communication or plan of action on either side.

If you think the sniper rifle isn't useful close-up, or that it's hard to aim, you're not very good with it.

ps if I sound elitist it's just because I'm just so much better than you that it's hard for me to come down to your level

feel free to believe that, but this isn't about me vs you. this is about the fact that after hundreds of games, not once in gears 2 have I seen anyone adjust their tactics because someone has a sniper. mr x will charge around regardless because there's is almost zero chance of a sniper hitting him in the head if he keeps mobile. Snipers are irrelevant. Just like the fact that you think you can get a headshot "nearly everytime".

As for melee, yes, I am very impressed that you have adapted your play style to suit this broken game, but my point from the start was how it should be, not how I suck at the way it is now. If I'm stupid enough to get close to someone and find myself getting melee'd I'm toast. If I have a shotgun, there should be no need for me to rush in that close, if I do get that close and still haven't taken them down, or the other party has succesfully navigated my shots, they should get an advantage because they've won the medium range battle.

Not to mention, how many films or any form of media do you see manual combat being more effective than guns at close range? thats the whole point. If you have a gun, take them out from the guns distance. If you're close, engage in close combat.

The fact you feel melee, roll away, shoot is better and less spammy than melee>melee says more about how you've adapted to this broken game than anything else. Not least that you can't use that tactic with torques or snipers, long range weapons where melee is the only real form of defense in close combat.

My discussion is about game balance and where its broken. I don't know what you're talking about.

Zezboob

Hehe, some old debates about Gears. :)
Since I have nothing better to do for the moment....

Personally I have nothing against melee, mostly because it's the only way to avoid the inconstancies from the shotgun and those clueless duel with two guy dancing rumba with shotguns. But perhaps Epic should make melee damage-free and only keep the stun effect (and they should add a new move with the shield to replace the melee).

About the sniper, I think it's the least effective weapon in Gears 2 (speaking about TorqueBow-Boomer-Sniper-Flamethrower) except, like said before, in the "right hands" (aka, the host). It lost its active reload and now the aim shakes every time you get shot or if there is an explosion close to you.
I would love to see the return of the active reload, but only effective on long distance (the sniper should not be a close ranged weapon). Or at least it should gain some stopping power or else, but today the active reload is insignificant.

And lol for the smokes. Finally Epic having some sense.

Ramirez

Game is so much better without the smoke knockdown, that is all. I prefer 5v5 though as most of the maps were built around a large number of people.

Tried playing Gears today after hearing about the smoke grenades being removed, and instead of having a great, smoke-less time, I get 3 uber laggy matches in a row.

I am really starting to despise this game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
NubCakes09 said:
Tried playing Gears today after hearing about the smoke grenades being removed, and instead of having a great, smoke-less time, I get 3 uber laggy matches in a row.

I am really starting to despise this game.

Yeah, the smokes are great now, but the lag hasn't stopped. I don't understand why I'm consistently matched up with people from Mexico and they end up getting host. I really want a country filter, not some region 'preference' bullshit.

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, the smokes are great now, but the lag hasn't stopped. I don't understand why I'm consistently matched up with people from Mexico and they end up getting host. I really want a country filter, not some region 'preference' bullshit.
What they need to do is to change the way the game picks host. If someone has such a shit connection that they can't join other matches then they shouldn't be host either.

whitehawk

Banned
Ramirez said:
Game is so much better without the smoke knockdown, that is all. I prefer 5v5 though as most of the maps were built around a large number of people.
Same. Get rid of the smoke stun too. It's great not getting knocked down, but I shouldn't even be stunned.

And ya, 5v5 FTW.

In my first game after the smoke change, I got put in a game where the host was in the United Kingdom. He had about 25 kills. The next guy closest to him in kills had 9.

AnEternalEnigma said:
In my first game after the smoke change, I got put in a game where the host was in the United Kingdom. He had about 25 kills. The next guy closest to him in kills had 9.
You have better luck then me then and I live in the UK!

JimiNutz

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:

Yeah I live in the UK and some US guy always has host :lol
I mean, how hard can it be to match UK players with UK payers and US players with US players? Goddamn.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh wow the smoke thing is only this weekend? For fuck's sake the game is so much better without it on. Just leave it off :lol

Just had the best Gears of War 2 online experience ever. Don't know whether it's the 4v4, or something else, but never have I experienced such lagfree games. Everything went well, no more smoke knockdowns, instand matches, great connection, host advantage didn't even really matter as the connection was amazing, just a great night

Tomcat

One more day for the old school to end. The smoke grenades should stay as it is now. If they will change them back to their original form i will stop playing

Tomcat said:
One more day for the old school to end. The smoke grenades should stay as it is now. If they will change them back to their original form i will stop playing
Seeing as it will be the people on the Gears 2 forum who will decide, they will not go back to the knockdowns in the end. Most people love this, so they will either use the stun animation or try something else before settling with one or the other.

kaizoku

so much better without smoke ragdolls. how the hell did that get past testing?? I suppose they added to KOTH and Annex in that it made those games very to and fro.

please keep it that way! I actually had some decent shootouts for once.

JB1981

The new (old) rules are much better but I still get my ASS handed to me on certain maps. It's disgusting.

kaizoku: exactly!!! The shootouts are so much better without fucking stupid ass smoke blasts! After all, this is a shooter right, cliffy? Too much emphasis on POWER WEAPONS and not enough on SHOOTING and flanking and using good angles to get the jump on an enemy. Game is now dominated by SPRINT TO THE POWER WEAPON. SPRINT TO THE NADES. SPRINT TO THE FUCKING TORQUE BOW. SPRINT TO THE FUCKING HAMMER OF DAWN. SPRINT TO THE FUCKING BOOMSHOT.

SIT IN A CORNER LIKE A LITTLE BITCH WITH MY FRAGS TAGGED TO THE WALL. How bout some fucking SHOOTING?!!!!!!

Top Bottom