• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

cresto

whitehawk said:
Same. Get rid of the smoke stun too. It's great not getting knocked down, but I shouldn't even be stunned.

And ya, 5v5 FTW.
Honestly, I think 4v4 is better just because the game runs so much better with only 8 present. This past weekend, I probably played upwards to 40 games and only had 5 or so that were really non-playable. I have thoroughly enjoyed not having smokes run the game like they do normally. I agree that the maps were set up for 5v5, but at the same time I don't think it runs as well as having 2 less people. I hope if they do decide to change it that they leave the smoke stun in there because it still means nades have a purpose, but a less important roll.

The stun actually came in handy when a guy on Security was held up in the corner near the laser beams. I was able to 'stun' him, walked up, and blasted him with my shotty. Very satisfying. I never felt cheated like I normally do thanks to the concussion. I definitely will keep playing gears if they decide to make this change, or even just add game modes that are concuss free.

Actually made gears worth playing again.

Coldsnap

I cannot believe people complain about the smoke knock down.
If you are good at the game you jump away from smokes and check for stickies, its not that hard of a concept.

Dosia

Coldsnap said:
If you are good at the game you jump away from smokes and check for stickies, its not that hard of a concept.

Just a pain in the ass and makes the game less *GASP* fun... Being ragdolled by a smoke is just stupid and annoying. Who cares if you can dodge it. You shouldn't have to.

cresto

Coldsnap said:

Really? REALLY? Try playing blood drive without smokes and you'll have a hell of a lot better time with it. The beginning is this frantic dash to the gun and then a tug-of-war batter back n forth between the middle. That map is ruined by the constant smoke barrage from each side. It's plain stupid. You can't simply avoid it every single time. The game revolves around the stupid things because you become an easy target as soon as you're knocked down. I'm not going to lie, I use the stupid things as much as I do my guns because of the effectiveness of them. It's plane stupid to have a game revolved around a smoke grenade.

Dosia said:
Just a pain in the ass and makes the game less *GASP* fun... Being ragdolled by a smoke is just stupid and annoying. Who cares if you can dodge it. You shouldn't have to.

I agree 100%. I am interested to see how Epic responds to this weekend and what their plans are for the future.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Coldsnap said:

I kinda pity that you can't understand the subtle difference nades make.

JB1981 said:
The new (old) rules are much better but I still get my ASS handed to me on certain maps. It's disgusting.

kaizoku: exactly!!! The shootouts are so much better without fucking stupid ass smoke blasts! After all, this is a shooter right, cliffy? Too much emphasis on POWER WEAPONS and not enough on SHOOTING and flanking and using good angles to get the jump on an enemy. Game is now dominated by SPRINT TO THE POWER WEAPON. SPRINT TO THE NADES. SPRINT TO THE FUCKING TORQUE BOW. SPRINT TO THE FUCKING HAMMER OF DAWN. SPRINT TO THE FUCKING BOOMSHOT.

SIT IN A CORNER LIKE A LITTLE BITCH WITH MY FRAGS TAGGED TO THE WALL. How bout some fucking SHOOTING?!!!!!!

:lol words seriously can't describe how much better it is now. Any approach to a weapon or enemy suddenly becomes THAT much more tactical, its not just a case of who throws their grenades best. I feel like thinking about my approach is worthwhile and rewarding.

it really comes to the fore when you're having a really tight shootout with a guy and as you're both ducking and diving behind cover, making advances and retreating and having to switch weapons around as the situation changes. Even when I lose those moments it doesn't feel as annoying as losing to a shitty smoke stun. There were a few games where I got mauled but it felt acceptable and was still fun.

I seriously need to brush up my torque and sniper skills, nowhere near as good as I used to be, they used to be my weapon of choice.

Sad thing is for the first time in ages I really wanna go home and play but when I do the smokes will be back :\

-PXG-

Coldsnap said:

Get out. NOW! Seriously.

bumpkin

Coldsnap said:
Two words; blast radius. The ragdoll is ten times worse if you have momentum -- mid-dive for example -- when it hits you. And a regular frag, you're just fucked. There is no "jump away." Same goes for stickies because the best planted ones aren't visible until you pass them, and by then, it's too late; you're a puddle of mush or flailing like a beached whale.

Raiden

Banned
Wow, why do so many people hate the smoke stun? I love it, its great for tactical use. Im sure you all dont mind your frags?

I love this game, it's about the only game i play about now. But a few things they should fix for me:

Lag(djezus)
Chainsaw, it is still the biggest noob weapon of all time.
Too much mortars, boomshots, frags, torque bows in one map>

People always rush for the biggest weapons, and it sometimes is an explosion fest. I prefer some good shotgun/lancer/pistol action for my Gears battles.

And i loved the 4vs4, but i guess im more of an Gears 1 fan.

Dosia

Raiden said:
Wow, why do so many people hate the smoke stun? I love it, its great for tactical use. Im sure you all dont mind your frags?

I love this game, it's about the only game i play about now. But a few things they should fix for me:

Lag(djezus)
Chainsaw, it is still the biggest noob weapon of all time.
Too much mortars, boomshots, frags, torque bows in one map>

People always rush for the biggest weapons, and it sometimes is an explosion fest. I prefer some good shotgun/lancer/pistol action for my Gears battles.

And i loved the 4vs4, but i guess im more of an Gears 1 fan.

Aside from me disliking the smoke stuns I agree with this. While I don't want to complain as the new smokes make the game so much more enjoyable, I wish their wouldn't be so many god damned power weapons on each map. I love having the hammerburst/lancer/pistol/shotgun fights over the excessive 1 hit kill weapons all the time.

River and Day 1 are my least favorite maps due to the excess of power weapons.

Coldsnap said:

Being good at the game does not mean it's perfect. Smoke knock down sucks.

LowParry

Coldsnap said:

And who the fuck are you again?

cresto

Domino Theory said:
SERIOUSLY!? ::goes to confirm::

Edit: Ok so it seems like the matchmaking is all fucked right now. The typical game modes are all there, but have 1 person in the party is too many? Plus there are two there with no names, one being wingman of some sort i believe. wtf are they doing? lol

Edit2: They fixed it all and yes the smokes only stun and do not concuss. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not but don't worry, i'm not playing it anymore.

I have level 1 or whatever that number is next to my name and was paired up with people with 30+, one of the other team even had a star with wings on which I guess is a high rank, match plays and nearly every round I am 1 hit killed. At least the smokes are much MUCH better now, someone smoked me and tried to rush but I was able to survive and sort of get away until I was ambushed by 2 people. Also one of the 5 in my team quit and was replaced by a bot and I lost exp.

What a way to turn off people from playing, the game for me is no more. Even if skill level is hidden the game sure didn't care and paired me up with the wrong people, twice now.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
CcrooK said:

Don't be an ass.

Tomcat said:
probably a noob who cant use his guns to get kills:lol

Or just someone who knows how to get out of the way of an incoming smoke?

I'm not saying that I'm untouchable when it comes to people throwing smokes, but seriously, the game has been out since last November, you've got to be able to know how to dodge them by now.

Like I said before, it makes no difference to me whether the concussive blast is there or not anymore since I never relied on them to begin with, but I can not see how it's so hard to imagine that people never had the same problems with the smokes like some of you have in here, especially since they were like that since the beginning of Gears 2, some six months now.

Going on in a bit to try out 5v5 with no smoke knockdown...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
:lol @ anyone defending the old smoke grenades. Smoke grenades are NOT for blowing people up into the sky or throwing them to the ground; it's for fucking SMOKE.

Saying that smoke grenades should throw you around is like saying the Sniper should be shooting out frag grenades or the Boomshot should shoot out Ink Grenade gas.

Thank God Epic woke up and decided that smoke grenades should be used for smoke. Who would've thought of such logic? :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Fuck, I never thought I would say this, but I wish the stun smokes were back (or at least Day One wasn't a fucking unbalanced map.)

I just played a 60 minute submission game, where these fucking douchebags who were host just kept re-capturing the guy and never actually won the rounds. They just kept point hoarding and getting tons of points. One guy ended up haveing 100 fucking kills.

Anyway, they always had the torquebow and mortor on lockdown. Everytime I would try to get either one, they would destroy me, because the smokes did nothing, and there are no other fucking power weapons to get them with. FUCK.

ugh, Day one sucks ass.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
whitehawk said:
Fuck, I never thought I would say this, but I wish the stun smokes were back (or at least Day One wasn't a fucking unbalanced map.)

I just played a 60 minute submission game, where these fucking douchebags who were host just kept re-capturing the guy and never actually won the rounds. They just kept point hoarding and getting tons of points. One guy ended up haveing 100 fucking kills.

Anyway, they always had the torquebow and mortor on lockdown. Everytime I would try to get either one, they would destroy me, because the smokes did nothing, and there are no other fucking power weapons to get them with. FUCK.

ugh, Day one sucks ass.

I don't ever vote for Day One. Such an unbalanced map. It looks great, but looks aren't everything. There's a Mortar, Hammer of Dawn, Sniper and Torque Bow. Disgusting.

Why do they dump all the power weapons on almost all the maps?

One of the many reasons why Blood Drive is the best map in the game. Not only is it awesome to play around (great symmetry), but there's only a Sniper/Torque switch, Scorcher and some nades, that's it. What would make the map even more awesome (or any map for that matter) is if grenades got their respawn timers way up and tagging gone.

Now they need to fix the double ammo glitch...got into a game last night and the other team kept doing it. They'd do it repeatedly to the boomshot until they had the max ammo for it, and then do it again once the ammo got low. before the game was over they basically had infinite ammo for the boom and torque...

-PXG-

Tomcat said:
yeah i agree with the too many power weapons

old school is over and we are back to 5vs5 but the the cringe has been kept :)

O_______________O

ARE YOU FOR REAL!??!?!?!

YOU BETTER NOT BE FUCKING WITH ME!!!

EDIT

*reads posts above*

HOLY SHIT!

Thank you Epic. Finally that concussive bullshit is gone for good. All they need to do is tighten up the netcode more and (I know it won't be added, but still), Player Match.

Oh yeah...Tactical my ass. The smoke grenades were nothing but a hinderance for people who actually know how to SHOOT a fucking gun. There is no skill or fun in being knocked down for five seconds, by a grenade with a huge blast radius. Good riddance.

cresto

whitehawk said:

ugh, Day one sucks ass.
I dont see your issue. If your team was half way decent you would coordinate the smokes to knock the AI down and then rush in on them. You have to get used to it, that's all. Why the hell were you playing that game type in the first place?

whitehawk

Banned
ergo said:
I dont see your issue. If your team was half way decent you would coordinate the smokes to knock the AI down and then rush in on them. You have to get used to it, that's all. Why the hell were you playing that game type in the first place?
Uh, you realize that smokes don't down people anymore right?

ergo said:
I see your issue. If your team was half way decent you would coordinate the smokes to not do a damn thing to the AI and then rush in so they can kill you. You have to get used to it, that's all. Why the hell were you playing that game type in the first place?

Fixed.

cresto

whitehawk said:
Uh, you realize that smokes don't down people anymore right?
Uh, they still knock the guy out of their hands, correct? You have to play the game differently. I think you were dumb to stay in that match for 60 minutes, no offense.

Yeah...they really need to put a time limit on ALL gametypes. We got point farmed for half an hour tonight in an annex game before I finally just pulled my ethernet cable. I was reading on the forums and apparently most of the top players on the leaderboards bridge host and do this....LAME.

-PXG-

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Yeah...they really need to put a time limit on ALL gametypes. We got point farmed for half an hour tonight in an annex game before I finally just pulled my ethernet cable. I was reading on the forums and apparently most of the top players on the leaderboards bridge host and do this....LAME.

No shit. That's why people have such high ranks and insane K/D ratios. :p

Speaking of the Gears forum, I read somewhere that the ping requirement for host was lowered. My matches tonight were very smooth. I was host for a KotH match on Grindyard. Shit is still stupid as hell. I can body three people in a row with virtually no effort. :lol

-PXG- said:
[/B]

No shit. That's why people have such high ranks and insane K/D ratios. :p

Speaking of the Gears forum, I read somewhere that the ping requirement for host was lowered. My matches tonight were very smooth. I was host for a KotH match on Grindyard. Shit is still stupid as hell. I can body three people in a row with virtually no effort. :lol

Yes, JoeGraf said that the ping requirement for host was lowered from 200ms to 150ms.

-PXG-

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yes, JoeGraf said that the ping requirement for host was lowered from 200ms to 150ms.

It should be 100 at most. If you have a shit shouldn't be allowed to host. Period. Then again, if they lowered it again, it might take even longer to find matches, since most people have such crappy connections (as to why they should have a dedicated network instead).

cresto

-PXG- said:
It should be 100 at most. If you have a shit shouldn't be allowed to host. Period. Then again, if they lowered it again, it might take even longer to find matches, since most people have such crappy connections (as to why they should have a dedicated network instead).
I remember seeing something where Joe said that wasn't possible because then you'd have a diffcult time finding games, especially for euro's. also, i think he said most people run at around 120

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:

Does this stop you from getting -1500?? Because I've had some lag switch games I really want to get out of without being penalized.

Coldsnap

CcrooK said:

If you take your kill to death ratio and double it, then you have my KD ratio.
Thats who I am.

They could take away smokes, I wouldn't care. They are a tactic in the game and can be avoided. I just wonder why most communities seem to focus on this single weapon while many other things need to be fixed first.

Tomcat

AnEternalEnigma said:

bullshit they changed nothing. Few weeks ago they put it back to 200 from 175. If we should believe them ofcourse because just a while a go i was in a game with a japanese host. The game was unplayable and the ping was probably over 400ms. Gears2 has the worst matchmaking system ever

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I remember when some assholes tried to point farm against me. After about 30 minutes all my team mates were gone and it was just me. I carried on because it was the first time it happened to me and I was pissed off (and getting loads of points in my own right).

At the end it was me and 4 bots and we ended up winning :lol Hoard that you bastards!

Submission really can last a ridiculously long time though.

When are they gonna enable exp for horde mode?? I always feel like horde is a waste of time if I can't get exp on it. Particularly as it takes so long.

bumpkin

Coldsnap said:
If you take your kill to death ratio and double it, then you have my KD ratio.
Thats who I am.

They could take away smokes, I wouldn't care. They are a tactic in the game and can be avoided. I just wonder why most communities seem to focus on this single weapon while many other things need to be fixed first.
"Look! My e-peen is bigger than yours!" :lol

Going out on a limb here, but I'm going to guess that if I looked at your stats, most of your kills would be with the Gnasher. Typically people who defend smokes in their normal concussive state use them to knock people on their ass and then gib them with the shotgun while they're trying to get up. Easily the single most annoying tactic in the game, second to the two-piece prior to its slight nerfing.

That being said, yeah, my KD ratio is probably a tenth of what yours is, but I play the game for fun, not for ego. There's a group here that I catch up with on occasion for some multiplayer. Good times.

Edit: Okay, so I got curious... Your kills *are* mostly Gnasher, but my KD ratio is higher than yours.

Coldsnap

Looking at your gamertags I see that the majority of the people in this thread play strickly annex. I stick to execution and base my kills off that, I've got my reasons but I have the most fun getting together with four friends and play against another five players.

I will conceit to the fact that I'd imagine smoke grenades getting annoying in Annex; there is a lot of dieing because everyone is concentrating on a single point, so lots of dieing would result in a lot of people bombing smoke grenades into the capture point.

Deathmatch style is completely different though; you watch for stickies and if you come across an enemy that you think could have a smoke gernade you bait him to use it then smoke him and gnasher shot him :lol. just playing, gnasher is actually what I think needs to be fixed and its my least favorite weapon, when you use all your power weapon shots though you gotta use what you got.

mernst23

kaizoku said:
I remember when some assholes tried to point farm against me. After about 30 minutes all my team mates were gone and it was just me. I carried on because it was the first time it happened to me and I was pissed off (and getting loads of points in my own right).

At the end it was me and 4 bots and we ended up winning :lol Hoard that you bastards!

Submission really can last a ridiculously long time though.

When are they gonna enable exp for horde mode?? I always feel like horde is a waste of time if I can't get exp on it. Particularly as it takes so long.

With TU4 and the new DLC supposedly. (So July)

On a side note: I was looking on ebay and apparently golden hammerburst codes go for $20-30!!!!! Man am I glad I didn't punch that useless code in, time to rake in a couple free drinks at the bar when I get home.

-PXG-

Coldsnap said:
Looking at your gamertags I see that the majority of the people in this thread play strickly annex. I stick to execution and base my kills off that, I've got my reasons but I have the most fun getting together with four friends and play against another five players.

I will conceit to the fact that I'd imagine smoke grenades getting annoying in Annex; there is a lot of dieing because everyone is concentrating on a single point, so lots of dieing would result in a lot of people bombing smoke grenades into the capture point.

Deathmatch style is completely different though; you watch for stickies and if you come across an enemy that you think could have a smoke gernade you bait him to use it then smoke him and gnasher shot him :lol. just playing, gnasher is actually what I think needs to be fixed and its my least favorite weapon, when you use all your power weapon shots though you gotta use what you got.

Sure, let me just tip toe my ass around the map with a magnifying glass and a fine toothed comb to make sure :/

cresto

Coldsnap said:

I stick to execution almost exclusively, and that was almost entire thanks to the concussion. It's bad enough to have to avoid it from round to round, but any game of annex or KOTH (which is much, much worse) ended up with this basic strategy:
1. Run to point or interest
2. Throw smoke into point of interest\
3. Rodie run over with gnasher for easy kills
4. capture point
5. have the same thing happen to you.

This is seriously how every single game played out. I did it too, but that doesn't make me a bad player. I did it because it made my life easier and was effective, too effective. Its a cheap addition to the game that was overly successful.

Its bad enough in execution, but tolerable. I still think the game is better without it. Look at blood drive, for instance. That map plays out entirely different. Before, it would be a stupid clusterfuck at the bottom with smoke nades going off all over the play. Now, you cant just walk in and grab the power weapon, you have to be smarter about it. I find it hard to believe you weren't just like everybody else and rushed the mid with your smoke out.

just played a match on security and smoke ragdoll is back, i will play one more game to make sure it wasnt some kind of glitch and then put this game away for another 6 months

cresto

Narpas Sword0 said:
just played a match on security and smoke ragdoll is back, i will play one more game to make sure it wasnt some kind of glitch and then put this game away for another 6 months
damn.... whats the verdict?

-PXG-

ergo said:
damn.... whats the verdict?

Cringe is still in. I just finished beasting people. They didn't stand a chance. :lol I'm almost back to how I was back in fall of '07. My shotty just shot instant death on people :lol

Top Bottom