• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
no more ragdolls for me.

can see myself getting back to playing this everyday now.

Coldsnap said:
If you take your kill to death ratio and double it, then you have my KD ratio.
Thats who I am.

They could take away smokes, I wouldn't care. They are a tactic in the game and can be avoided. I just wonder why most communities seem to focus on this single weapon while many other things need to be fixed first.

:lol I mainly play execution too and my K/D ratio is higher than yours! and I suck at this game!

I can't even smoke ppl and rush up to gib their body, so all along while ppl were relying on that, I would smoke people, run over, can't see shit, can't aim properly, they get up and kill me. sweet.

now the smokes are out its a much more level playing field. I can get decent scores now. my stats are gonna end up much better than yours at this rate ;)

kaizoku

now that smokes are gone you see a gulf develop between some players. I've seen loads of clueless guys walking around trying to smoke and then charge in only to run out of ideas when that no longer works. they end up standing behind corners switching weapons, not knowing how to approach situations at all.

good riddance :D

Raiden

Banned
Stop bragging about your K/D ratio, because of 40% of the good players their K/D ratio got screwed over due to lag. I went from overall 1.4 on warzone/exec, to 0.8 and 1.0 or something like that.

This because i sometimes had to suffer 10 lag matches in a row. Have you tried getting a shotgun kill on lag? It's impossible.

Coldsnap

Anyways, I can't wait to get EXP in Horde. Sometimes I just want to have fun with friends and not be competitive, its going to be good to get some points for this.

mernst23

-PXG- said:
K/D doesn't mean shit.

I'm going to call Shenanigans.

I very rarely get beat down by people who have lower K/Ds than me (1.6 Ex/1.7 Warzone)

People in the 1.5-1.8 range play pretty much equally to me on a constant basis while 1.9's+ usually get the better of me on a much more frequent basis. It's the best stat to go by. Granted you can get a higher K/D by playing with a pretty constant team, but even with all the lag matches, times i've been glitched on (didn't quit) and I still maintained that decent K/D while running primarily solo for a reason.

Edit: Actually, the best stat i'd say is conducive of your playing skill is your points per game average. I always get a ton of kills stolen/ down the shit out of guys but they get revived.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So we were all upset when Dark Corners got announced (7 maps + Campaign DLC) for 1600 points and All Fronts got announced (ALL Map Packs + 7 maps + Campaign DLC) for 19.99 (1600 points). Felt like a rip off/shaft to those who bought the maps when they first came out, but no more. :)

IGN: So what's the new plan?

Rod Fergusson: First, we decided to make Dark Corners available for 1200 points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, a reduction from 1600. Don't get me wrong, Dark Corners is the biggest Game Add-on we've ever released, and it was a good deal at the old price, but based upon community feedback this just felt like the right thing to do. Also, we've decided to release the All Fronts Collection on Xbox LIVE Marketplace in order to make it available to the widest audience possible. The All Fronts Collection will be priced at 1600 Microsoft Points, and both offers will be available July 28th at 12:00 AM GMT in twenty-five countries around the world

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/987/987928p1.html

kaizoku

Raiden said:
Stop bragging about your K/D ratio, because of 40% of the good players their K/D ratio got screwed over due to lag. I went from overall 1.4 on warzone/exec, to 0.8 and 1.0 or something like that.

This because i sometimes had to suffer 10 lag matches in a row. Have you tried getting a shotgun kill on lag? It's impossible.

I was just teasing mr e-penis there. anyway I'm pretty certain those stats aren't accurate. early on they were awesome but then I would notice it wasn't recording stuff properly..

-PXG- said:
K/D doesn't mean shit.

I agree to an extent. A remarkably bad KDR is telling and it's hard to spin, but you can be a great player with a fairly average KDR in this game. Between the lag, people stealing your kills and the fact that it's a teamgame more than most other titles means that your part in a kill can be done in so many more ways than simply being the one to get the mark.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Domino Theory said:
:lol @ anyone defending the old smoke grenades. Smoke grenades are NOT for blowing people up into the sky or throwing them to the ground; it's for fucking SMOKE.

Saying that smoke grenades should throw you around is like saying the Sniper should be shooting out frag grenades or the Boomshot should shoot out Ink Grenade gas.

Thank God Epic woke up and decided that smoke grenades should be used for smoke. Who would've thought of such logic? :lol

Defending? Nah. Able to avoid them? Yup.

They definitely fly way too far off though, that's for sure, which is why I said some time ago that what they really need to do is fix the rag doll...

Anyways, the kills have kept coming this whole week without the concussive blast, so it's all good with me like this too...

Glad to read about the price drop for the DLC too...

cresto

Shins said:
800 points or no deal.

what a rip-off
Some people are never happy, jesus.

K/D in gears is totally subjective. You have players who just play the game and average 1.5 or so which is legit. Then you get those who bridge host, lag switch, and point harvesting (i guess?) with their friends to boost their overall rank and stats. Pathetic if you ask me. I hate it every time i get host because that invalidates any skill I show in that match.

I have to say that Epic has done an amazing job supporting their product and doing what they can to make everyone happy. I think everyone who still plays the game should be thankful. I know the game was released in an unsatisfactory condition, but they could have easily said "FUCK YOU" and moved to their next project. Gotta give them props

-PXG-

- Being host
- Kill stealing
- Playing Annex/ KotH
- Power weapons

All those can skew your K/D. I'm not saying anyone with a K/D isn't legit. There are some people who really are that good. But most aren't.

-PXG- said:
- Bridging host
- Kill stealing
- Annex/ KotH
- Excessive use of Mortar/ Boomshot

All those can skew your K/D. I'm not saying anyone with a K/D isn't legit. There are some people who really are that good. But most aren't.

I've yet to have a shit host mess me up too bad. You can usually tell in th elobby if it's gonna be a lag fest, then you pick the chainsaw and hold down the B button!

Shins

Banned
-PXG- said:
- Being host
- Kill stealing
- Playing Annex/ KotH
- Power weapons

Using the weapons in the game to get kills skews your... KILL/death ratio?

Shut the fuck up. :lol

Simply, a good K/D means it's more likely that you're a good player. A bad one means you're more likely a terrible player. No guarantees though.

whitehawk

Banned
Shins said:
Using the weapons in the game to get kills skews your... KILL/death ratio?

Shut the fuck up. :lol
This. I hate it when people are like "You use the chainsaw/mortar/etc, omg ur a cheap noob!!! Your gayy!!"

I'm using a feature in the game. How does that make me gay cheap noob?

birdman

whitehawk said:
This. I hate it when people are like "You use the chainsaw/mortar/etc, omg ur a cheap noob!!! Your gayy!!"

I'm using a feature in the game. How does that make me gay cheap noob?

I specifically use the chainsaw when I play just to piss off the "top tier" Gears players.

JB1981

cjelly said:
Is the smoke knockdown permanently off now or was it only for last weekend?
I think it's gone for good. They still haven't put it back in since Memorial Day weekend.

Had some terribly laggy games this morning. Like I have said in the past, I think Gears has to be played at night when most of the Euros are asleep. Your chances of getting better connections seems to increase at night.

cresto

JB1981 said:
I think it's gone for good. They still haven't put it back in since Memorial Day weekend.

Had some terribly laggy games this morning. Like I have said in the past, I think Gears has to be played at night when most of the Euros are asleep. Your chances of getting better connections seems to increase at night.
I've had this same problem, but mid afternoon is just fine as well. Only downside to gears is what you just said. Such a shame :(

kaizoku

there's only 3 reasons for getting chainsawed, in order of regularity:

1) lag effects mean they somehow got through a barrage of bullets and get you
2) you screwed up
3) they used terrain and stealth/ambush tactics to sneak up on you

I almost never accuse enemies of being n00bs, I find myself blaming connection, myself or my team mates for not backing me up or dying in stupid situations etc.

Sometimes I will feel an enemy/team is being cheap, but thats not the same as being a n00b.

JB1981

Someone please explain why I still go back to this game? I hate it. I can't tolerate the lag anymore. Someone please tell me that they have this problem as well. It's ridiculous. I need to let this game go. All it does it piss me off, yet I still play. I need to make a promise to myself to never play this fucking game again. I know it's been bemoaned to death here, but I don't think I've EVER played such a high-profile game plagued by this many problems. When I shoot my shotgun WHY DO MY BULLETS DISAPPEAR INTO FUCKING THIN AIR?! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A STUDIO WITH SO MUCH MONEY CAN'T FIX THIS SHIT? FUCK YOUUUUUU

Ramirez

I've been getting some games so bad with lag lately, that even when someone is downed and not moving, I shotgun them point blank and all I see is blood come out of them, yet they don't die. Yesterday, I shot a guy three times while he was down, then watched his partner come revive him, and the guy I downed proceeded to gib me in one shot. :lol

It's weird though, it's not bad lag like in the sense of my character resetting every few seconds or not being able to reload, it's just when I'm point blank on people, it's like my gun stops working. =\

JB1981

Shins said:
^^^ see you next week bro

Exactly LOL

Ramirez: yep. simply don't understand. The last game I played all I did was run around wildly and just melee all over the place. Seemed like the only sure way to actually connect with someone.

whitehawk

Banned
JB1981 said:
Someone please explain why I still go back to this game? I hate it. I can't tolerate the lag anymore. Someone please tell me that they have this problem as well. It's ridiculous. I need to let this game go. All it does it piss me off, yet I still play. I need to make a promise to myself to never play this fucking game again. I know it's been bemoaned to death here, but I don't think I've EVER played such a high-profile game plagued by this many problems. When I shoot my shotgun WHY DO MY BULLETS DISAPPEAR INTO FUCKING THIN AIR?! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A STUDIO WITH SO MUCH MONEY CAN'T FIX THIS SHIT? FUCK YOUUUUUU
I know I know. The only reason I really play is because most of the time I'm host. Plus I play annex/KOTH, so that if I get bullshited, I'm still in the game.

cresto

JB1981 said:
I dont understand why you're having such a difficult time. What game types do you play? I stick to execution/warzone almost exclusively because annex/koth just seem to lag much worse (maybe because of more shit happening? I doubt it but who knows with gears lol). Could be your timing too, but who knows, this game is always a surprise whenever you join up a game! thats why you keep coming back, because you hope and pray that the next game will be better. its like a curse you just cant get away from

bumpkin

Hmm, so this may be off-base and already mentioned, but it seems the All Fronts pack has vanished from GameStop; both online and in-store. Did they decide to ditch the physical disc version and simply distribute it online?

Snowden

Banned
Any of you guys still playing who also own PS3's owe it to yourselves to find a way into the Uncharted 2 MP beta. I put down Gears 2 around January as the last of my friends list moved back to Halo and Call of Duty. Still loved that core gameplay but wasn't such a fan of some of the gameplay changes (or of course, the netcode problems!). Still, after playing Gears 1 pretty religiously since its release, the absence of that stop-n-pop cover-based shooter has hurt a bit.

While Uncharted makes a lot of departures from the Gears formula, I think there's enough common ground that anyone who likes one will likely find something fun in the other. And even though its just a beta, the balance seems really great already. A few bugs and necessary tweaks, but wow, it's really fun to play a game that's not completely dominated by power weapons or crappy netcode!

I know I've seen a few of you posting some similar comments in the Uncharted 2 thread already.

whomever does the netcode for gears of war at epic should be fired.

i enjoy gears' gameplay but no way in hell am i going to back to the lagfest.

if geow 3 doesn't use dedicated servers i won't buy it.

i'm sure cliffy or someone else at epic will come out and BS everyone about how they've vastly improved the netcode for the sequel just like they did before geow 2 release.

-PXG-

Snowden said:
Any of you guys still playing who also own PS3's owe it to yourselves to find a way into the Uncharted 2 MP beta. I put down Gears 2 around January as the last of my friends list moved back to Halo and Call of Duty. Still loved that core gameplay but wasn't such a fan of some of the gameplay changes (or of course, the netcode problems!). Still, after playing Gears 1 pretty religiously since its release, the absence of that stop-n-pop cover-based shooter has hurt a bit.

While Uncharted makes a lot of departures from the Gears formula, I think there's enough common ground that anyone who likes one will likely find something fun in the other. And even though its just a beta, the balance seems really great already. A few bugs and necessary tweaks, but wow, it's really fun to play a game that's not completely dominated by power weapons or crappy netcode!

I know I've seen a few of you posting some similar comments in the Uncharted 2 thread already.

Love Gears
I have a PS3
I'm in the U2 Beta
It's awesome

I just wish I had more time to play it. I really hope ND adds more stuff. Bungie did for the Halo 3 beta....

JB1981

Ramirez said:
Pathetic really, why doesn't MS step in and force them to do something? Halo has some laggy games every now and then, but 95% of the experience is smooth online. I don't get why they let a high profile title be plagued with issues like this.

4 million sold etc etc.

Zzoram

I don't notice lag in Gears 2, but maybe I don't play competitively enough to notice.

For the "Beat game on Insane" achievement, can you do the Acts out of order? I beat Act III on Insane to help out a friend, but I'm wondering if I can just beat the other Acts now and get the achievement without redoing Act III.

Banned
Snowden said:

Did you tell the guys in the Uncharted thread to play Gears?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
JB1981 said:

That is exactly how I feel about GOW2. My problem is that I love the no respawn of Execution or Warzone and as well as the 3rd person camera but the netcoding has to be the worst in gaming history. It is pretty bad that I can go play Socom for PS3 with 32 player match and have it play a 1000 times better with more players and bigger maps, WTF??? I wish someone would step up, Microsoft or Epic and fix this crap.

zaidr

Sorry guys, I'm at work...but am I hearing this right? The smoke grenades don't ragdoll you anymore?

I haven't played this game in over a month, so I had no idea...

...and some people are reporting that its BACK after it had been taken out? Which is it?

Snowden

Banned
Karma said:
Did you tell the guys in the Uncharted thread to play Gears?
It's not easy to bring up Gears 2 multiplayer with anyone that's not still playing it now; the reputation it has for being broken has made most any recommendation an exercise in frustration. Given that co-op was still fantastic in Gears 2, I don't doubt there have been some comparisons drawn between the two with resulting discussion. Honestly, I don't know. I skimmed the thread before getting my hands on a key, and since then, I've spent most of my time playing it, rather than talking about it. :D

Llyranor

Honestly, Gears2 Horde mode was the best gameplay experience I had for last year, and it had none of the issues PvP seems to have. I'd easily recommend Gears2 multiplayer to anyone with any interest in that type of co-op game.

I don't understand how you guys seem to get super laggy games all the time, I mean I get them too, but it's usually only maybe 2 out of 10 games or something. If I'm on early in the day or really late at night I might get more laggy games than usual, but if I'm playing during peak east coast hours then the connection is usually decent.

I think if they tweaked the "region preference" shit more it would help out even more. They need to include a straight up region filter in gears 3, make it an option so that players in sparsely populated countries can still find games.

Top Bottom