• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

JB1981

Been playing the shit out of this game since the patch. I also popped in the original Gears to compare and there is no comparison. Navigating through levels is dramatically improved (you don't get stuck on walls nearly as much) in the sequel and the netcode is a fair bit better. The Gorgon automatic pistol thing is also BEASTLY in this game. Never knew how powerful that weapon was. I think I'm going to hop on again in a bit if anybody is up for a game. I will warn you now, I am an average player but I like playing with a good squad.

Aladuf

Banned
6x XP for E3 week from June 14-June 21

http://twitter.com/GearsViking

It's official, we're going with 6x XP for the week of E3. So that's 3 times the current double XP. about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
It will run from June 14th @ 9AM EDT till June 21st @ 9 AM EDT about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, I played a hell of a lot of Gears in the Triple XP a couple of weeks back. I can't wait for some 6x XP.

JB1981

Will definitely be playing. I am having a lot of fun with the social games and even tho there is still lag, the shotgun is much improved imo (has too much range tho)

Brakara

Am I the only one who've had problems getting into Horde games lately? In social horde, I'm almost always dropped into a game alone, and ranked horde matchmaking takes forever. This after @GearsViking mentioned the ping tweak on twitter.

bumpkin

I am so there! :D

Man, it's been ages since I played... Me and a friend did some "Social Xbox Live" Horde last weekend for maybe a half hour or so, but lost interest after realizing it was on insane and we were playing on Highway. Kept getting our asses handed to us! :lol

goldenpp72

Question, is there currently a XP modifier on right now? I haven't played gears in awhile but I got almost 700 XP for 350 points. Does that mean it would be 6X THAT or is there already like a 2x on? Thanks :)

Edit: Oh and where is that website that breaks down how much XP it takes to hit 100? It went by level.. Thanks again :)

Karram

Brakara said:
Am I the only one who've had problems getting into Horde games lately? In social horde, I'm almost always dropped into a game alone, and ranked horde matchmaking takes forever. This after @GearsViking mentioned the ping tweak on twitter.
You're not alone. Matchmaking takes much longer time now and sometimes even not find players and apparently many people are also having the same issue. But on the bright side games you join are less laggy.

Brakara

Good to know I'm not the only one... Because before the tweak, I got into ranked Horde games in almost no time at all. Social Horde games were still empty though.

And speaking of which...

bumpkin said:
Me and a friend did some "Social Xbox Live" Horde last weekend for maybe a half hour or so, but lost interest after realizing it was on insane and we were playing on Highway. Kept getting our asses handed to us! :lol

Are there no ways to change the difficulty?

Match 1 - Ruins
Match 2 - Ruins
Match 3 - River
Match 4 - Ruins
Match 5 - Security
Match 6 - Ruins

Seriously Ruins pops up 80% of the time in Warzone. I love the map but ffs it gets old.

Dosia

It takes forever for me to even get into a game right now. I gave up (again), and hope gears 3 is much improved because this game is shit!

see5harp

Come on people. West coaster probably playing for at least a few hours. Just noticed the 6x XP and I've been meaning to jump back in. GT: see5harp

JB1981

Dosia said:
It takes forever for me to even get into a game right now. I gave up (again), and hope gears 3 is much improved because this game is shit!

Ranked or social? Social is basically instantaneous. I just read Diablohead's post above is and is right on about the shotgun range. It's absurd.

I went back and played Gears 1 last night for a few rounds. The game design was a lot 'simpler' and thus resulted in tighter, more focused battles. I miss a lot of things from the sequel (meatshield, improved cover mechanics, gametypes etc.) but I can certainly see why people are dissatisfied with the new, slower shotgun. The shotgun from the original was BEASTLY. And the rate of fire was much, much faster. I remember how obsessed I was with that game when it first released .. we had Gears Wednesdays .. most fun I've had playing MP all generation.

Dosia

JB1981 said:
Ranked or social? Social is basically instantaneous. I just read Diablohead's post above is and is right on about the shotgun range. It's absurd.

I went back and played Gears 1 last night for a few rounds. The game design was a lot 'simpler' and thus resulted in tighter, more focused battles. I miss a lot of things from the sequel (meatshield, improved cover mechanics, gametypes etc.) but I can certainly see why people are dissatisfied with the new, slower shotgun. The shotgun from the original was BEASTLY. And the rate of fire was much, much faster. I remember how obsessed I was with that game when it first released .. we had Gears Wednesdays .. most fun I've had playing MP all generation.

Ranked. I have not yet tried a social match. Maybe I will try those out this weekend.

Minamu

Ticker Horde was pretty funny. A lot more repetitive though. But I've gained about 1100 kills today thanks to those pesky critters :D And almost 5 levels from hording on normal primarily. I wish you could decide what kind of enemy spawns you want in Horde.

Hootie

Jumped up from 26 to 33 in a couple of hours playing Horde mode today!

I agree that killing tickers over and over is boring as shit though.

On Pavilion on Wave 10 I was the only one left really early on and I went into that spot where the shields spawn, put 2 up to block the boomers, and took out EVERY one of those motherfuckers by myself. It was the first time I made it past the Boomer-only Wave 10 so I felt like a badass. Not to mention I leveled up from that wave's XP. :D

I'd like to work my way to lvl 50 but even with 8x XP it'll be awhile. I found doing solo Horde on Insane is the easiest XP gain. 2000 a round for standing in a corner blowing tickers away. I'll take it!

U2NUMB said:
Anyone excited for 8x XP and Horde mode with Tickers 9 of each 10 levels?

July 1st - 6th.
Ruined horde for my group tonight. We finally all got together, have DLC maps to play, and were looking for some quality craziness, horde style.

I can't believe Epic managed to make horde completely shit-tastic, and it'll be another week before we can give it another shot. Disappointment total. What the hell were they thinking?

NullPointer said:
Ruined horde for my group tonight. We finally all got together, have DLC maps to play, and were looking for some quality craziness, horde style.

I can't believe Epic managed to make horde completely shit-tastic, and it'll be another week before we can give it another shot. Disappointment total. What the hell were they thinking?
What do you mean?

Holy shit, 8x EXP. /runs to Xbox

-PXG- said:
6x EXP? DAYUM! For whole week? Everyone will be level 100 now. No need to glitch it :lol
6x isn't 6 times what it is now, it's only about double.

The current count is either 2x or 3x already, they are just raising it to 6x.. they did this last time when people realised the xp jump wasn't very big.

*edit* ah shit this is old, sorry :lol

8x should at least be a nice noticeable xp increase, may have to shoot some horde waves, but I am not playing deathmatch ever again in this game.

With a good team, coordination, and practice, even if you lose... you'll have tons of fun with those friends.

This helped me go from shit-tastic "whats a two-piece" and "whats wall-bouncing"... to average player slowly recovering his KDR from the "I'm a newfag at gears" KDR. In a few weeks I'll hit 1.0 :D

Edit:
And I will admit that GEARS is a more complicated game to get into and much harder to become consistently good at than your average console shooters like Halo of COD. I think it's partly to do with the wide variety of deeper tactics and playstyles that emerge from combining said tactics. Usually employed by more skilled players, these tend to widen the skill gap and raise the learning curve substantially. Understanding GEARS' intricacies is key, the GEARS forum has mega-threads analyzing and breaking down proper weapon usage and tactics, I think even maps and spot, etc. I learned more reading those page than I did form playing.

Cuban Legend said:
What do you mean?

Holy shit, 8x EXP. /runs to Xbox
Play a Horde match and you'll see. Rounds 1 through 9 consist ONLY of tickers. Yeah, skittering little buggers that explode after maybe a bullet or two, who only exist to run up to you, freak out for a second and then explode.

What used to be a mode filled with variety and danger, and risk-reward opportunities is now just you and your friends running around, bored, taking potshots at explosive barrels, only these barrels move. We lasted 4 waves before we couldn't take it anymore.

Note: You *cannot* play the regular version of horde until the 7th. So either you love fighting tickers, or you don't mind subjecting yourself to boredom in the name of grinding useless XP, or you do what we did and put off getting back into horde for at least another week.

Do the guys at Epic honestly think this is a fun mode to play? 9 waves of tickers? really?

Minamu

Karram said:
If anyone would like to do some KOTH boosting anytime send me a FR.
How does that work? Both teams get 199 points? Can it be done with bots that have to play so damn competitively? :lol

I just got almost 18000 exp from one social guardian bot match with one other human player. You basically get 1000 exp per kill there :S Maybe not that much compared to KOTH boosting but at least it's sort of legit.

Karram

Minamu said:
How does that work? Both teams get 199 points? Can it be done with bots that have to play so damn competitively? :lol

I just got almost 18000 exp from one social guardian bot match with one other human player. You basically get 1000 exp per kill there :S Maybe not that much compared to KOTH boosting but at least it's sort of legit.
Here is a video that shows how it works. Its much faster than Horde boosting but way more boring.
EDIT: I forgot to post the link to the video :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthLvxpTfzU

Minamu

That looks awesome :lol And boring. But I'm up for it sometime. It will be hard to coordinate without 10 players though, right? Anyway; GT: Minamu.

Karram

Well, each player can use a second controller. I also feel like I'm never going to get to do KOTH boosting since every time I try to join a party they kick me and then start the match.

Hootie

Wow you gotta be fucking kidding me. :lol

Horde on Fuel Depot, we slowly but surely make our way ALL the way to Wave 50 only to die with 3 Boomers left. Motherfucker!! :lol

Boosting has always been beyond my logic, It's not enjoyable compared to playing the game like normal, it looks boring, and in the end it's cheating. Besides, doesn't Epic enforce MM Ban/stat wipes/achievement wipes if you're caught? It's just wasted time and effort if so.

I'm dissapointed to hear fellow GAFers condone and even practice that sort of thing.

Edit:
NullPointer said:
Play a Horde match and you'll see. Rounds 1 through 9 consist ONLY of tickers. Yeah, skittering little buggers that explode after maybe a bullet or two, who only exist to run up to you, freak out for a second and then explode.

What used to be a mode filled with variety and danger, and risk-reward opportunities is now just you and your friends running around, bored, taking potshots at explosive barrels, only these barrels move. We lasted 4 waves before we couldn't take it anymore.

Note: You *cannot* play the regular version of horde until the 7th. So either you love fighting tickers, or you don't mind subjecting yourself to boredom in the name of grinding useless XP, or you do what we did and put off getting back into horde for at least another week.

Do the guys at Epic honestly think this is a fun mode to play? 9 waves of tickers? really?
Thanks for the explanation, i most definitely agree with your stance on this.

Seems Epic is endorsing this as a way to allow people to legitimately gain experience over the 8x EXP period, even though it sounds just as boring and troublesome as boosting... I play to enjoy the game.

Last night was the first time I've ever boosted XP in KotH and hoooooooooooooly shit. Thanks to the x8, I went from level 40 to level 46 in one match. Then 46 to 50. Then 50 to 54.

40 to 54 in about 2.5 hours. Wow. :lol

Epic can't police 10 friends playing social matches the way they want to. As long as the boosting stuff stays out of ranked matches, I don't care. People can do what they want in social, unranked matches.

Karram

So earlier today I was level 72 and I've been boosting all day and now I'm level 87. level 100 doesn't seem so hard now. :D

Top Bottom