• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

AndyMoogle said:
Is there host migration in Social matches, or do you just get kicked out to the main menu again if the host leaves?
No migration I believe, probably too late to work into the code via patch. Hope gears 3 does something about host quitters.

Diablohead said:
No migration I believe, probably too late to work into the code via patch. Hope gears 3 does something about host quitters.
Yeah that's what I thought. It would be pretty big if they had it in, so they would have had it in the patch notes.

CoD4 patched in host migration, and I know that Joe Graf said that they were experimenting with host migration for Gears 2. I bet it will be in Gears 3 instead.

-PXG-

Just finished playing a few matches. All I can say....

THANK YOU EPIC!!!

TU6 is fucking AMAZING!!!!

Netcode...PERFECT! Shotty...IMPROVED....Stopping power....REDUCED!!!

Man, it feels good to be back with Gears.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ooh, I forgot about the patch. I will go download that now, I was actually just playing some Gears/Gears 2 last night, I must have just missed the patch.

I have fully open NAT and ports but the game keeps telling me that I am scrict NAT, which is wrong, and I know it's wrong as I just looked at my router (and never had problems over live)

Annoying that both halo 3 and now gears shit this message at me, long as it doesn't hamper my chances to host now and again.

Wow, if this is feeling more like the Gears I know and love, then I might just shed a tear, and start playing again! This gives me hope for Gears 3!

edit: Diablohead, just power cycle your router. That fixed mine.

-PXG- said:
Just finished playing a few matches. All I can say....

THANK YOU EPIC!!!

TU6 is fucking AMAZING!!!!

Netcode...PERFECT! Shotty...IMPROVED....Stopping power....REDUCED!!!

Man, it feels good to be back with Gears.
You said the same shit about TU3.

JB1981

ThirdEngine said:

LOL. You have really come out of your shell lately, eh?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to trying this out when I get home tonight. I hope the difference is easy to see.

-PXG-

ThirdEngine said:

Well that was a big improvement of how it was at launch. All of us can remember how God awful Gears 2 was when it dropped. TU3 fixed a lot, but the game was still broken as hell in other areas. TU4 and 5 didn't really fix much, at least for me.

This however, is massive. A complete overhaul. TU6 is good. Now maybe I just got lucky. Who knows. But so far, it runs butter smooth for me.

Played 4 or so social games, the new shotgun spread is much improved as now it's a circle instead of weird X, has a few more marks on the wall too, no idea if that means the power is increased or not but it's much more of a regular shotgun pattern now and doesn't look silly on the wall.

I have been trying to test out just how much better the instant visual shotty and improved netcode host searching is but I will need many more games yet, all I can say so far is that you can land a clean hit on someone but the shot misses due to lag, but now because the shotgun pellet detail is instant while the collision is not, it feels off when trying to kill someone. There may be more to it we don't know about but I have had experiences where my shot would have turned them into jam, but they side stepped it and beat me down due to lag.

Will play all night to see if it was just bad luck or not.

-PXG-

Diablohead said:
Played 4 or so social games, the new shotgun spread is much improved as now it's a circle instead of weird X, has a few more marks on the wall too, no idea if that means the power is increased or not but it's much more of a regular shotgun pattern now and doesn't look silly on the wall.

I have been trying to test out just how much better the instant visual shotty and improved netcode host searching is but I will need many more games yet, all I can say so far is that you can land a clean hit on someone but the shot misses due to lag, but now because the shotgun pellet detail is instant while the collision is not, it feels off when trying to kill someone. There may be more to it we don't know about but I have had experiences where my shot would have turned them into jam, but they side stepped it and beat me down due to lag.

Will play all night to see if it was just bad luck or not.

So far (only five or six games) I haven't had any noticeable lag. Every shot has had the effect it should have. If I miss, my shot misses. If I get a piece of them, it does some damage. If I shoot point blank right in their gut, they're hamburger. I'm very pleased with the results. I just hope it isn't a fluke or isn't short lived.

Can anyone confirm if the shotgun really is client side hit? because I am fairly sure the lancer is not client side even though you see instant tracer trails. the gears forums is confusing to read but i don't have an account there to question anything, not that I really want too on that forum :lol

metareferential said:
Anyone who lives in Europe?

How is the game performing for you guys?
Average but I need to play more to fully test lag over luck.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
:lol holy shit. From the Epic Forums.

Originally Posted by ThrenodyCreed
It's easy. Use the shotty, but instead of paying attention to your shots, look at the ammo counter. The ammo doesn't go down instantly like the shots do. That's how I keep track of ping.

Originally Posted by Madcat124
I throw a smoke.

:lol :lol Is that you PXG?

I started a warzone game (no matches to join in social so it made one automaticly) and I have two human players gone afk in the game, are they exp farming while afk or something?

I wish the game would boot idle players past the 5 minute mark or something, they are just standing there.

Aladuf

Banned
Diablohead said:
I started a warzone game (no matches to join in social so it made one automaticly) and I have two human players gone afk in the game, are they exp farming while afk or something?

I wish the game would boot idle players past the 5 minute mark or something, they are just standing there.
Nah, there's no achievements that they could whore aside from "Party like it's 1999" and they could do that without going into Ranked/Social matches, iirc.

It's been a few minutes since you've posted about this but if you were put into the match at the start by yourself, then why don't you see if you can actually boot them like people seem to think host's can do now.

Aladuf said:
Nah, there's no achievements that they could whore aside from "Party like it's 1999" and they could do that without going into Ranked/Social matches, iirc.

It's been a few minutes since you've posted about this but if you were put into the match at the start by yourself, then why don't you see if you can actually boot them like people seem to think host's can do now.
Saw no option and going by the gears forums that "you have been kicked" message comes up if the host quits to the lobby, someone recorded it for a youtube video.

I don't think they were not moving due to packet loss or anything, they just idle'd, one of them did twitch like the player might have touched his pad briefly or something, anyway after a few rounds where only the idlers were alive but other player did not kill them, I had nothing else to do apart from quit.

I'll stick to ranked for now, less bots :p

Aladuf

Banned
Diablohead said:
Saw no option and going by the gears forums that "you have been kicked" message comes up if the host quits to the lobby, someone recorded it for a youtube video.

I don't think they were not moving due to packet loss or anything, they just idle'd, one of them did twitch like the player might have touched his pad briefly or something, anyway after a few rounds where only the idlers were alive but other player did not kill them, I had nothing else to do apart from quit.

I'll stick to ranked for now, less bots :p
Ah, ok. I figured that was what was going on with that message.

Aladuf

Banned
SOLDIER said:
Can you get Ranked achievements in Social matches (like Annex, etc)?
Minamu said:
That's what I want to know! Probably not though I guess :(
I'm not totally sure but some of the achievement's requirements have been changed on the website to say "(not custom)" at the end of it, so that might mean that you can do them in Ranked and Social. If I had any achievements left to get in multiplayer besides reaching level 100 then I'd be able to check for sure maybe, but since I don't, I can't tell. :lol

Jhoan

800 MSP for the All Fronts Collection is a steal! I'm definitely it adding to my download cue. And Triple XP too plus TU6? Sweet! I'm definitely gonna get back into Horde now. MP I suck at but will give it a shot too.

derFeef

Jipan said:
800 MSP for the All Fronts Collection is a steal! I'm definitely it adding to my download cue. And Triple XP too plus TU6? Sweet! I'm definitely gonna get back into Horde now. MP I suck at but will give it a shot too.
Oh sweet, wanted to pick this up sooner or later. Hopefully it stays at this price. Need to wait till next month.

Zezboob

I played a bit, and I don't know if it's due to the fact I was tired or I didn't play since long time, but I couldn't get a satisfying sensation. Everything seems a bit slower, sluggier.
I believe it's due to all the tweaks they made, I probable need to play more to get a better feeling.

No special remarks about lag (I prefer not judge it for the moment), but the host is still a beast.

derFeef said:
Oh sweet, wanted to pick this up sooner or later. Hopefully it stays at this price. Need to wait till next month.
They are referring to it as a price drop rather than a deal, so I would assume it's permanent.

EDIT: According to Ron Fergusson's twitter it is indeed permanent.

AndyMoogle said:
They are referring to it as a price drop rather than a deal, so I would assume it's permanent.

EDIT: According to Ron Fergusson's twitter it is indeed permanent.
Outside of XBLA games this has to be the best value for money DLC on the marketplace so far, game may be 1.5 years old but 14 maps + 30minute chapter for £8 is gold.

Karram

Played 3 ranked matches so far since every time I try to join a social match I end up creating one and play with bots. Anyways the game is so, so much smoother and enjoyable.
Bullets actually come out of the shotgun and the bullet pallet is more consistent.

Overall TU6 is amazing, Epic did an awesome job. Surpisingly I'll keep playing the game and forget about all the recent releases.

Shotgun lag is still there don't be fooled but it's a ton better then what gears 1 and how gears 2 up to now was handling it the improved host selection plays a big part, I have yet to have a match where lag is near half a second, it's all been better so far. To check shoot your shotgun and watch the ammo count drop down slightly after you shoot.

It stills annoys me that I can hit someone 3 times in the chest with a shotty but then be downed in one by the dude at the same range, gears still has that element of randomness... well all shooters do, but gears brings out the ugly side of it too often.

lol someone lag switched in the final round of annex ranked, the connection was button smooth until we won round 2 and then out of no where 10 second lag spikes for about 2 minutes until they had 120 points, then smooth again...

krakov

So bots in this game is balanced by doing more damage than a regular player? not sure how Social games work at this point, haven't seen a single real player in my ten or so games in various playlists.

Playing more today I am seeing much closer battles in ranked now, I think the new shotgun code is working a treat. I have had times where someone is running away, I tag them with a shotgun shot as they turn a corner, half a second later they drop due to me hitting them :D before now that shot would have missed him due to latency. This is how the game should have been from the start as the playing field now feels much more like a LAN then the unfair lag we were all getting before.

But it makes me wonder if gears 3 will just use this method instead of those rumoured dedicated servers, I would be happy with what we have now actually since I don't have to aim ahead any more.

I need to hip fire better though, I keep missing close targets because I have no idea where the shots are coming from and where on the screen I need to aim at due to the off center 3rd person camera.

JambiBum

krakov said:
So bots in this game is balanced by doing more damage than a regular player? not sure how Social games work at this point, haven't seen a single real player in my ten or so games in various playlists.

Bots don't do more damage. It only seems that way because they are all on the host's connection and they are also a ton more accurate than anyone else. If they start firing at you you are pretty much done for.

JambiBum said:
Bots don't do more damage. It only seems that way because they are all on the host's connection and they are also a ton more accurate than anyone else. If they start firing at you you are pretty much done for.
This. All you have to do to kill a bot is to go from cover to cover. Once you're near them they are retarded and sometimes just sit behind a cover doing nothing. Or they start swinging a smoke grenade.

Sanic

I...can't believe it. I haven't been able to play this since TU3, but now I can actually get into a game in seconds as opposed to 15 minutes. Guess i'm off to buy the DLC!

JB1981

Tried the update last night. Seems better. I can actually get a kill her and there with the shotty. The camping that goes on in this game is absolutely ridiculous though. Frag tags ruined Gears. I hope they remove it for Gears 3.

Karram

The more I play the game the more impressed I get. At this point I actually won't care if gears 3 uses dedicated servers or not as long as it's smooth as Gears 2 is now.
BUT the leader selection in Guardian isn't working the way it should and I still can't play a social match with real people. I even tried to create a match but no one joined.

JB1981 said:
Tried the update last night. Seems better. I can actually get a kill her and there with the shotty. The camping that goes on in this game is absolutely ridiculous though. Frag tags ruined Gears. I hope they remove it for Gears 3.
What mode are you playing and on which maps? Can't say I notice much camping in this game. Unless you consider taking cover to be camping.

Karram said:
The more I play the game the more impressed I get. At this point I actually won't care if gears 3 uses dedicated servers or not as long as it's smooth as Gears 2 is now.
BUT the leader selection in Guardian isn't working the way it should and I still can't play a social match with real people. I even tried to create a match but no one joined.
I've noticed this as well. Whenever I search for a social guardian match I'll end up hosting a room with bots, and no one ever joins. It worked yesterday, so it might be that most people are still just playing ranked.

Cuban Legend said:
So... why the hell are the simultaneous shotgun deaths happening now?

This is reminding me of the Halo 3 simultaneous melee deaths. <_<
Before this update if two people shot each other at the same time, lag would factor in to who gets the kill, this is one reason why the host is so strong and can just frag everyone with ease (plus there was a delay from shooting and bullets appearing, the worst kind of bullet lag ever invented)

Now there is a mix of client side detection and lag, what happens is that you land the hit on your screen without delay but the host then has to receive the data, process it and send it back so you land the hit and they react a fraction of a second later. They also changed it so that if two people shoot and hit each other at the same time they both get the kill reward which IMO is more fair then the person closest to the host location = winning.

If you land a hit now it's a hit but the player won't instantly die due to lag, this is why two people can shotgun each other at the same time. Sniper would probably have the same effect also :lol but i've not seen that happen yet.

JB1981

AndyMoogle said:
What mode are you playing and on which maps? Can't say I notice much camping in this game. Unless you consider taking cover to be camping.

I've noticed this as well. Whenever I search for a social guardian match I'll end up hosting a room with bots, and no one ever joins. It worked yesterday, so it might be that most people are still just playing ranked.

I am referring to those players who sprint to the frags and then run and hide in a room all day (see: Blood Drive) waiting for players to come find them. This is the kind of crap that has ruined the game.

Top Bottom