• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

JB1981 said:
I am referring to those players who sprint to the frags and then run and hide in a room all day waiting for players to come find them. This is the kind of crap that has ruined the game.
So you're playing on the old maps that came with the game? Can't say that it happens often when I play Guardian or Wingman on the new maps. If someone tries to camp on most new maps, they are easy to kill.

Noticed your edit. Yeah the old maps are very easy to camp on, and it's often hard to kill the campers on those levels. The only map, out of those that came with the game, that I like is River. All other maps are pretty shitty imo. The map packs are so much better.

I ran speedtest.net to check my connection since I have host more often now then before this update and just noticed that my ISP lowered my upload from 1.75 down to 1.0! complain time!

Anyone know when 3x XP starts? I am guessing it's going to be late like the update was :lol

I hit level 32 since TU3 but now the shotgun and most of the lag problems are resolved I have that itch to hit 50+

The triple XP event has started!

Rod Fergusson said:
Triple XP - ok, the Memorial Weekend event has been propped! Remember that you have exit and restart the game to get the new file.
Sucks that I won't be able to play much this weekend.

Overall I ended up very impressed last night. The new shotgun spread is quite nice and the game feels more fair now with the mix of CSHD. It was a little odd to play Blood Drive and have both teams of five have straight-up shotty battles the whole match, but it could be due to people just wanting to try out the new spread.

I'm really happy on how host gets handled now. We played almost 20 matches last night all without host and the lag was great. I could be imagining things but the overall gameplay seems to have been tightened up a notch as well. Seeing split-screeners gave me an old-school Gears 1 feel which was great. I really don't see why it took six title updates for this to be a feature.

It also felt like the Lancer is useless now. I don't use it, but I was taking out kids with ease at medium distance in one to two shots with a shotty while they were constantly hitting me. I'm curious to see how people will adjust to this.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shottie is soooooooooo good right now - my hip fires are so constant now, and on average, up-close zoomed-in battles don't ever take more than two shots to end. So damn good. The shots actually fill the entire reticule now, so the shottie is finally the beast it should have always been. Thank you Epic.

No crippling lag the entire afternoon and night, matches felt good when I wasn't host, and I liked the two times when we gibbed each other since I probably would have died alone any other time before.

I have to erase not attempting to shoot immediately after roadie-running or rolling because that rule has been burnt into my mind, and I still haven't remembered that I could do so the whole time - it's too bad that they put that delay there in the first place, but the feeling will come back soon I'm sure...

Played one Social Match before hitting Ranked, and thanks a million for adding this Epic - it was totally unexpected, but it's great to have this mode to bring back the feel of Gears 1 matches. Nice touch that there's a Leaderboard for it too despite not having the XP count towards your level - I joined in halfway in a losing match, carried that team to victory and was number 365 in the world from that work...

Didn't try Horde, but being able to invite others into Ranked Horde will make Horde lovers incredibly happy...

Good stuff Epic, especially with the permanent price drop on the maps - best DLC deal out there bar none.

Diablohead said:
I ran speedtest.net to check my connection since I have host more often now then before this update and just noticed that my ISP lowered my upload from 1.75 down to 1.0! complain time!

Good lord man - see, this is why you have NAT problems, that upload is WAAAAAAY too low.

If I remember correctly, XBL has had the miminum recommended upload set to 10 mb for years now, and I know most of the complainers have around this speed or less as well since that time when people were posting their uploads from speedtest.net.

Do yourself a favor, get a new IP pronto - that's just unacceptable, I've had 20 mb down/20 mb up for more than five years now which is why I usually don't complain about lag...

AndyMoogle said:
The triple XP event has started!

Sucks that I won't be able to play much this weekend.

Thanks for the heads-up - I might not be able to play as much over the weekend as well, but I'm gonna make the best of what I can, then again, since the Reach beta stopped, Gears 2 has been a nightly ordeal once again... :)

Skilotonn said:
Good lord man - see, this is why you have NAT problems, that upload is WAAAAAAY too low.

If I remember correctly, XBL has had the miminum recommended upload set to 10 mb for years now, and I know most of the complainers have around this speed or less as well since that time when people were posting their uploads from speedtest.net.

Do yourself a favor, get a new IP pronto - that's just unacceptable, I've had 20 mb down/20 mb up for more than five years now which is why I usually don't complain about lag...
Um, anything over 1.0MB up is good, have you checked yours lately? if you have 10+ MB up then count yourself extremely lucky or you have the deal of a life time.

To add I have 50meg down but that means shit, most people in the UK are below 1MB, it's people like the swiss who have 30+ uploads due to their fancy network cables :p

I also fixed my NAT problem with a router and modem reboot.

derFeef said:
Have not played Gears online. What does the XP do?
a few achievements need them like level 25, level 50, level 100 and so on, plus it's nice to work towards a level, it doesn't unlock anything.

Shotgun is pissing me off now, the lag is still there like I said before but it feels like only half my shots damage someone, fucking annoying shit, 5 rounds into someone medium range and he pops me in 2... no not right at all. happened about 10 times today.

Diablohead said:
Shotgun is pissing me off now, the lag is still there like I said before but it feels like only half my shots damage someone, fucking annoying shit, 5 rounds into someone medium range and he pops me in 2... no not right at all. happened about 10 times today.

That is one of the reasons I stopped playing. I'll try again tonight.

Apoc29

derFeef said:
33w08rl.jpg

Digital-Hero said:
That is one of the reasons I stopped playing. I'll try again tonight.
This latest update helped a ton but it's still not in the same league as Halo when it comes to fine net code over a peer2peer network, all of epic's games have been ones which require servers to balance out lag as best as possible, unreal tournament for example. This new gears method has instant client side collisions but it still won't register as a hit until the host receives the data, you can kill each other because of this which is fine but if you go against the host, good luck, he will always beat you out in a shotty duel if you both shoot at the same time.

My personal idea for a fix? make the shotgun physically do less damage at range, not just make the aim cone bigger but make the bullets that come out do less over distance, like a real shotgun.

If it wasn't for the inclusion of annex having it's own play list I would have sold gears a long long time ago, with respawn's I can put up with the lag since scoring is all about territory control and not just killing, but it's still a pain.

The more I play this update the more I come to realise it's just trying to hide the truth, and I also keep getting american hosts as a UK player, there must be enough people from the UK, france, holland ect to form up a game, why the hell do I have to put up with oversea crap? One game last night had some dude slagging off people because he had host and was saying shit like "enjoy your uk lag asshole"... what a prick.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Diablohead said:
Um, anything over 1.0MB up is good, have you checked yours lately? if you have 10+ MB up then count yourself extremely lucky or you have the deal of a life time.

To add I have 50meg down but that means shit, most people in the UK are below 1MB, it's people like the swiss who have 30+ uploads due to their fancy network cables :p

I also fixed my NAT problem with a router and modem reboot.

a few achievements need them like level 25, level 50, level 100 and so on, plus it's nice to work towards a level, it doesn't unlock anything.

I would definitely not say 1 MB is good at all, and yes, my connection has hit exactly 20/20 - I have Skype and my 360 on right now, which explains the drop, but here's my speed:

Upload is everything with playing online on consoles, and there's only so much that coding can do.

derFeef said:

It's the experience points to rank up in Gears 2.

Skilotonn said:
I would definitely not say 1 MB is good at all, and yes, my connection has hit exactly 20/20 - I have Skype and my 360 on right now, which explains the drop, but here's my speed:

Upload is everything with playing online on consoles, and there's only so much that coding can do.
You are one lucky person to have that kind of upload :)

if xbl years ago required 10+ then you would have seen every game on the service lag like a bitch, what you have there is extremely good, top end speed that hardly everyone will have.

*edit* http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/07/31/britains-scandalous-upload-speeds/

A letter to The Times this morning makes a spectacularly good point about British broadband. While the mainstream media has (rightly) been roasting the broadband providers for delivering only half the download speed advertised on the tin, “the real scandal is… that the upload speed may be only a thirtieth of this [headline download speed] figure”.
The Times’ correspondent is bang on the money. Ofcom’s broadband speed report claims that: “overall the average upload speed received by UK consumers is 0.43Mbits/sec, less than 10% of the average download speed”.

It's from july 2009 but the UK and most other regions out there never had brilliant upload rates, anything about 1MB is king currently.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Diablohead said:
You are one lucky person to have that kind of upload :)

if xbl years ago required 10+ then you would have seen every game on the service lag like a bitch, what you have there is extremely good, top end speed that hardly everyone will have.

*edit* http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/07/31/britains-scandalous-upload-speeds/

It's from july 2009 but the UK and most other regions out there never had brilliant upload rates, anything about 1MB is king currently.

Damn, that's pretty surprising to read - had no idea about that one at all...

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Diablohead said:

I agree with you, but the rest of GAF seems to be having a love fest with TU6. First let me get this out of the way, the online did get a little better but not to level that was hoping for. I do give credit to Epic for trying to repeatly improve the online play but I just think it is something you can not fix with a patch. The game just feels broken, several times yesterday I melée then shot 2 direct hits only for the other player turn around and down me with one shot. There was a few times where I use a Lancer or Hammerburst and pumped a full clip into them and they would not drop, it is like you said only half my shots were registering. I think I am given up on GOW2 and just hoping that Epic takes all that learned and make GOW3 the best online game ever, dedicated servers please... At least Epic is committed to trying to make gamers happy and that is why I be buying GOW3 day 1 just like I did with 1 & 2.

Diablohead said:
Before this update if two people shot each other at the same time, lag would factor in to who gets the kill, this is one reason why the host is so strong and can just frag everyone with ease (plus there was a delay from shooting and bullets appearing, the worst kind of bullet lag ever invented)

Now there is a mix of client side detection and lag, what happens is that you land the hit on your screen without delay but the host then has to receive the data, process it and send it back so you land the hit and they react a fraction of a second later. They also changed it so that if two people shoot and hit each other at the same time they both get the kill reward which IMO is more fair then the person closest to the host location = winning.

If you land a hit now it's a hit but the player won't instantly die due to lag, this is why two people can shotgun each other at the same time. Sniper would probably have the same effect also :lol but I've not seen that happen yet.
So the shotgun has hitscan? ala' Halo Reach's Human Weapons? The game doesn't look at the hosts version of the game, but takes into account if on your screen you got the kill?

But you can still kill each other at the same time? I can see why for some it's logical improvement, but for me it just seems like masking a deeper netcode issue.

krakov

Finally got some really nice social matches with real people, probably the best fun I've had with gears 2 multiplayer so far and I've been playing on and off since release. I think the shotgun is much better now.

Cuban Legend said:
So the shotgun has hitscan? ala' Halo Reach's Human Weapons? The game doesn't look at the hosts version of the game, but takes into account if on your screen you got the kill?

But you can still kill each other at the same time? I can see why for some it's logical improvement, but for me it just seems like masking a deeper netcode issue.
Gears has always used hitscan for all the weapons apart from the obvious projectile guns, the lag is from sending the data from your 360 to the host and back so you fire your gun but don't actually land a hit until it registers with the host. doesn't matter if it's hitscan or not.

The update has it much better now as instead of shooting and waiting to see where your shot went, you get an instant reaction, but the delay is still there so even if your shot was the killing blow it will take about half a second to actually register, in that half a second they can shoot you back so you both kill each other like a double melee in halo

Shotgun lag video watch how the player shoots but the bullets delay before appearing, TU6 removes that delay visually but it's still there (though you now don't have to aim ahead of your target which is so much better)

Yes.

I keep getting paired up with teams uneven, right now in annex ranked its two level 3x and two 6x against three level 100's and a level 98, who all seem to be friends... great, just great.

I have a real urge to quit out but I hate doing that, I am host too so I could just bomb the entire match...

*edit* match over, I get cussed for having UK in my name and being host, how sweet.

*edit2* fucking matchmaking can't balance for shit, so annoying I am starting to remember why I shelved this game in the first place.

*edit* oh my fucking... the shotgun is so annoying, I land 4 hits as he runs around a post then turns and downs me, what the fuck stupid shotgun is way too random, anyone else would have downed me the times I hit him. Hide the lag all you want it's still shitty, a real turn off for buying gears 3, seriously.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
It also felt like the Lancer is useless now. I don't use it, but I was taking out kids with ease at medium distance in one to two shots with a shotty while they were constantly hitting me. I'm curious to see how people will adjust to this.
A day later and I'm using the Lancer more than ever. I'll pop a few bullets off and get an active and then go into battle. The new shotty has proven that it can clutch up in some tight situations but there's been far too many times where I've gotten an active and then point blanked someone in the back of the head and then hit them with a couple more shots only to have nothing happen other than them dropping me in one shot while they wiggle and run around frantically.

For the time being it seems like I may go back to the way I've played in the past from time to time where I'll drop the shotgun to pick up a power weapon and hold onto the Lancer for the battles.

Karram

I recently stopped using the Hammerburst and started using the Lancer and I've been getting more kills with it. The damage increase they did IMO made the Lancer so much better than the Hammerburst.

Diablohead said:
Gears has always used hitscan for all the weapons apart from the obvious projectile guns, the lag is from sending the data from your 360 to the host and back so you fire your gun but don't actually land a hit until it registers with the host. doesn't matter if it's hitscan or not.

The update has it much better now as instead of shooting and waiting to see where your shot went, you get an instant reaction, but the delay is still there so even if your shot was the killing blow it will take about half a second to actually register, in that half a second they can shoot you back so you both kill each other like a double melee in halo

Shotgun lag video watch how the player shoots but the bullets delay before appearing, TU6 removes that delay visually but it's still there (though you now don't have to aim ahead of your target which is so much better)
Ah i see the delay is what's causing that. Well at least your explanation makes sense... now i can explain it to all my friends when i play tonight.

Thanks.

Diablohead said:
Yes.

I keep getting paired up with teams uneven, right now in annex ranked its two level 3x and two 6x against three level 100's and a level 98, who all seem to be friends... great, just great.

I have a real urge to quit out but I hate doing that, I am host too so I could just bomb the entire match...

*edit* match over, I get cussed for having UK in my name and being host, how sweet.

*edit2* fucking matchmaking can't balance for shit, so annoying I am starting to remember why I shelved this game in the first place.

*edit* oh my fucking... the shotgun is so annoying, I land 4 hits as he runs around a post then turns and downs me, what the fuck stupid shotgun is way too random, anyone else would have downed me the times I hit him. Hide the lag all you want it's still shitty, a real turn off for buying gears 3, seriously.

So, what can you do to check if you are host?

I was always wondering this about Gears 2. My friends always mention weird methods that i just don't' believe , I guess I just need to see a link to some forum post where it explains all the methods used to find out.

-And I agree on the matchmaking part, it's totally crap.

I dont know if they use trueskill or that shit experience system to match you , but if they use trueskill, then you're bound to get matched with lvl100's , etc, because the level shouldn't even have anything to do with their skill, just how long they've played. Right?

USD

All the maps for 10 dollars? I wasn't expecting the deal to be that good. Shit, I might have to pop in Gears.
AndyMoogle said:
Yes it's permanent. Each map pack has been reduced individually as well.
I wish more developers did this.

Cuban Legend said:
Ah i see the delay is what's causing that. Well at least your explanation makes sense... now i can explain it to all my friends when i play tonight.

Thanks.

So, what can you do to check if you are host?

I was always wondering this about Gears 2. My friends always mention weird methods that i just don't' believe , I guess I just need to see a link to some forum post where it explains all the methods used to find out.

-And I agree on the matchmaking part, it's totally crap.

I dont know if they use trueskill or that shit experience system to match you , but if they use trueskill, then you're bound to get matched with lvl100's , etc, because the level shouldn't even have anything to do with their skill, just how long they've played. Right?
The ways I have learned to tell if you are host or not:

After being grouped into teams, your gamertag is at the top of the COG or LOCUST list (one of these players will be host)
When selecting your character and weapon, watch the count down, it will blink on 00:00 twice (only once if you are not the host, no idea why)
In a match shoot a weapon, if your ammo drops instantly you are host, everyone else will see a minor delay in shooting and the ammo dropping.
And of course before the TU6 update your shotgun would be instant instead of shooting with a delay, can't use that method any more.

As for how the game pairs people together, no idea, but anyone who is level 75+ obviously has played a lot of gears and should only be paired up with higher players as they know every trick in the book. That match I had last night we were slaughtered because they were very good compared to my team, in fact I was top on my team which is not too often :lol

Oh and outside of the shotgun lag complaints, the boltok pistol is one of the best weapons to use without lag, 3 hits to down someone, two on the head and it can pop brains in execution mode from the other side of the map on a downed opponent (bug? dunno) :D

niroth

Diablohead said:
The ways I have learned to tell if you are host or not:

As for how the game pairs people together, no idea, but anyone who is level 75+ obviously has played a lot of gears and should only be paired up with higher players as they know every trick in the book. That match I had last night we were slaughtered because they were very good compared to my team, in fact I was top on my team which is not too often :lol

If you remember back to when Gears 2 game out they would show your Trueskill similar to Halo although in a much broader 1->5 way. That was what was used for Matchmaking and when the new XP system came out they said that the Trueskill was still being used. So, you are probably running into that if you are playing Ranked. The XP number is as useless as it is in CoD in terms of how it makes matches.

Now, what they decided to do for the "Social" matches I have no idea. Wouldn't be surprised if its just lowest ping -> go.

JB1981

You know you are host when you can't melee at the end of a round. I played Annex last night and actually got some decent kills and a lot of downs but I am pretty positive that I was host most of the time.

Sorry to keep moaning but ugh I can't take it anymore, I land some hammerburst shots on someone, they cover, I get a shotgun round on them (they must be at least half dead now) and he just runs in and two pieces me while I try to get off another shotgun round. Not even counter strike against good players makes me as angry as this game does, the shotgun just somehow either hardly hurts anyone or it will do 90% damage without question, it's way too up in the air especially with lag involved.

This isn't just a one off, this is like 5 times a game, I really want to throw my pad at a wall.

FUCK SAKE I wish I could record all this fucking BULLSHIT, fuck this shit I am done with gears for good, it will never be fair online, ever.

3 fucking shotgun shots to someone at close range and he downs me in 2 even though I shoot first, then a guy who I hit point blank and blood splats everywhere yet he somehow rolled through me, behind a ledge and 1 hits me as I turn around. ALL THANKS TO SHITTY NET CODE it's just not fun any more, this is in social too so no excuse for playing people the same level as me in ranked.

Well after two nights of post-TU6 it seems that most things have returned to normal. People were using Lancers and Hammerbursts again, although at longer distances. I've noticed the shotgun being more reliable with gibbing people from behind. The game does seem more fair now, but host shotgun cannot be touched. While playing Canals I gibbed three people with three shots while we were all fighting at lower stairs near spawn. In a way it feels much like Gears 1 where you could escape a 3, 4, or even 5v1 if you played your cards right.

Also had a hilarious moment from last night while playing Tyro. We shot the warning sign to trigger Marcus on the train, but the round finished before we could see it. Then sure enough between rounds, here comes Marcus' ass screaming on the train. The next round started with the Y button prompt up and the entire team just stops and turns to the tracks. I couldn't stop laughing.

I have come to the conclusion that the shotgun has way too much range, not just because I am getting annoyed with the weapon downing me too easily but it's always from a moderate distance with a hard-aim, it's also nearly impossible now to escape a shotgun user due to the range and that they can take a good 70% of your health from about 20 meters away with the thing, what they should have been doing is swapping to another gun on their person to do range damage, the shotgun in this is more of a problem then the BR is in halo 2 and 3... that's saying something.

Back when lag was an important factor the shotgun was obviously less prone to being a beast unless you were host, the old bullet pattern also had a shape where once you were a few steps back you would usually only hit with a few pellets, the new shape however is designed so most hits will make contact for a fair bit of range. What frustrates me the most is that the new shotgun is just too much of a beast outside of close range, too many times have I attempted to shoot someone (usually first for what I know as I spring out of cover or ambush) to have them swing around and shotgun me from a silly range and instantly red health me, not even the old shotgun did that if you were the host!

I am also lost for thought that my shots feel like they are half the strength as someone else, active reload or not it's like I am shooting peanuts while they shoot rockets from the same range, I try aiming for the head, the body to land more of the shot, even shot a dude in the head from behind up close to find that he didn't even go down! it's so frustrating and unbelievable that something wrong is going on and I want to find out what it is... it angers me so much.

I would love to see hard-aim take away the smaller aim cone, right now it's too dominant and only aids range kills with the shotgun which I thought was designed for the close quater battles of gears, the lancer and hammerburst are good weapons but 90% of people I am finding in games are all shotgun dancers who rush, roll and 1 hit you or two piece which is the worst and more unfair move ever invented in a shooter, I prefer the magnum rifle in counter strike more then being two pieced.

I want to love this game I really do, the single player is one of the best experiences I have had as a gamer but the multi is just so so broken, 6 title update patches says a lot.

*edit* until they lower the shotgun range by a drastic amount, this game is going back in it's box and gears 3 is looking like a rental because I can't see much changing for the better.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Was playing this all last night. Dont have enough points for the map pack and was still getting into games within 5 seconds.

Went from level 5 to like 21 in 2 1/2 hours.

Diablohead said:

I have to say that I agree.

I've been playing this off and on the past few days and am having a tough time re-acclimating myself to the game.

Before this, host had an unfair advantage, I could live with that...now it seems that every bitch with a shitty ass connection has the upper hand. I can't blast someone from behind, point blank with shotty, yet they can roll right through me and take me out no problem. On my screen I die before their dive animation even finishes.

I've tried everything I can think of the past few days, but all it seems like is that my shots take much less damage than my opponents, who can one shot me from mid-range and hardly ever miss in an encounter.

I want it back the way it used to be. As horribly shitty and laggy that it was, at least I could explain why my shots didn't land while host's did. At least I could get host here and there or find matches that weren't completely broken; that was enough for me to keep playing. Right now, there exists no fun factor whatsoever. If this is a taste of Gears 3, no thanks.

Nearly every time I join a match, someone quits before the game actually starts. Then the remaining leave after losing a round. =/
When people actually stay, we end up winning though... =/

dragonballjoseph said:
Nearly every time I join a match, someone quits before the game actually starts. Then the remaining leave after losing a round. =/
When people actually stay, we end up winning though... =/
Nobody wants to be on your team.

Karram

I also noticed that the shotgun range is a bit annoying after the update. If someone shot you with a shotgun there's no way you're going to run away from him, and you're going to be downed by the second shot while he's 10 meters away.

Diablohead said:
I have come to the conclusion that the shotgun has way too much range, not just because I am getting annoyed with the weapon downing me too easily but it's always from a moderate distance with a hard-aim, it's also nearly impossible now to escape a shotgun user due to the range and that they can take a good 70% of your health from about 20 meters away with the thing, what they should have been doing is swapping to another gun on their person to do range damage, the shotgun in this is more of a problem then the BR is in halo 2 and 3... that's saying something.

Back when lag was an important factor the shotgun was obviously less prone to being a beast unless you were host, the old bullet pattern also had a shape where once you were a few steps back you would usually only hit with a few pellets, the new shape however is designed so most hits will make contact for a fair bit of range. What frustrates me the most is that the new shotgun is just too much of a beast outside of close range, too many times have I attempted to shoot someone (usually first for what I know as I spring out of cover or ambush) to have them swing around and shotgun me from a silly range and instantly red health me, not even the old shotgun did that if you were the host!

I am also lost for thought that my shots feel like they are half the strength as someone else, active reload or not it's like I am shooting peanuts while they shoot rockets from the same range, I try aiming for the head, the body to land more of the shot, even shot a dude in the head from behind up close to find that he didn't even go down! it's so frustrating and unbelievable that something wrong is going on and I want to find out what it is... it angers me so much.

I would love to see hard-aim take away the smaller aim cone, right now it's too dominant and only aids range kills with the shotgun which I thought was designed for the close quater battles of gears, the lancer and hammerburst are good weapons but 90% of people I am finding in games are all shotgun dancers who rush, roll and 1 hit you or two piece which is the worst and more unfair move ever invented in a shooter, I prefer the magnum rifle in counter strike more then being two pieced.

I want to love this game I really do, the single player is one of the best experiences I have had as a gamer but the multi is just so so broken, 6 title update patches says a lot.

*edit* until they lower the shotgun range by a drastic amount, this game is going back in it's box and gears 3 is looking like a rental because I can't see much changing for the better.

I've felt every part of this rant at some time or another.

Think about it, when you're having a great game and you cant even believe its going so good with the hit detection and kills your getting, the other team must be feeling like you do in that rant. And you can't always be the only one to get great games... I always just consider my few bad games a day to be someone else's good games. :)

But, seriously regarding your post. Maybe your gameplay style might need to improve or evolve a bit? Alot of that comes down to being in the right mental zone for the Gears and the gametype you're playing, knowing choke points, advantageous spots, weapon spawns and general player behavior, is a great helper, on top of all that eyesight and awareness of your surroundings is key.

-One great tip i noticed helped me was a sort of quick-zooming with the shotgun, where you only precisely tap the L Trigger to zoom once already hovered over the target to maximize movement and minimize time out from cover.
-Unorthodox movement patterns are also key, being unpredictable can be learned easily. Especially movement patterns that enhance your mobility, hindering others from firing at you successfully, while allowing you to fire successfully. For example: There's no telling how many times I've roadied straight through 5 guys and broken the hill on KOTH, sometimes I'm never even noticed.
-Next after improving your own skills and tactics, is teamplay and communication. I play a lot of KOTH because it brings out a sense of teamwork closer to Battlefield. Coordinating your weapons, grenades, power weapons

-There's also tons of great information and tips and tricks to using weapons effectively in Gears 2 all over the gears official forums. I learned almost 90% of what i know and use now, from the forums.
-So much so that I never really felt connected with the game until after i learned all about it, it was kinda cool because as i learned i could feel myself starting to 'get' the game more, understand it through taking advantage of it's inner working and limits.
-Also, knowing why you died in a certain situation and knowing what you should've done to avoid it and come out killing him and staying alive, and then implementing that knowledge to get better, s also key.

And now I'm just rambling, sorry. lol

Karram

Rod Fergusson on Epic forums said:
Hey all,

Just wanted you to know that we're watching the whole issue of shotgun range very closely. We're aware of potential ripple effects of the spread change and CSHD improvements. We didn't want to knee jerk any more changes until we let the current set sit for awhile and then once everyone has spent some time with them then they can give a more reasoned opinion.

Anyway, just didn't want you to think we were unaware or not paying attention.

Thanks,

Rod.
I guess I'll start playing again after they find a solution for the shotgun range.

JB1981

The social game setup is amazing, btw. Wish the game had this option when it first came out. So great to be able to drop into a game right away.
- I am still awful at this game. I barely get 3-4 kills a match but I still have a decent amount of fun. I don't take the game as seriously as I used to. I play it during my downtime after a long day of work and the social matchmaking is just perfect for someone like me who is not into stat padding and all the rest of it.

Diablohead said:
Sorry to keep moaning but ugh I can't take it anymore, I land some hammerburst shots on someone, they cover, I get a shotgun round on them (they must be at least half dead now) and he just runs in and two pieces me while I try to get off another shotgun round. Not even counter strike against good players makes me as angry as this game does, the shotgun just somehow either hardly hurts anyone or it will do 90% damage without question, it's way too up in the air especially with lag involved.

This isn't just a one off, this is like 5 times a game, I really want to throw my pad at a wall.

FUCK SAKE I wish I could record all this fucking BULLSHIT, fuck this shit I am done with gears for good, it will never be fair online, ever.

3 fucking shotgun shots to someone at close range and he downs me in 2 even though I shoot first, then a guy who I hit point blank and blood splats everywhere yet he somehow rolled through me, behind a ledge and 1 hits me as I turn around. ALL THANKS TO SHITTY NET CODE it's just not fun any more, this is in social too so no excuse for playing people the same level as me in ranked.

Due to its inconsistancy I NEVER use the shotgun online, to be fair I dont find it fun to use so no real loss. :lol I havent played post-patch though, pre-patch I could get away with not using the shotgun, I guess post patch not using the shotgun is a death sentence as it has incredible range now or something?

Top Bottom