• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Why oh why would my mail guy pick today of all days (when I'm supposed to be getting Gears 2 delivered) to be LATER THAN A PREGNANT WOMAN!?? Im sat here waiting for the front door to make a noise like an impatient puppy waiting for its master to return from a days work......:'( I need a hug

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dax01 said:
? I thought this game was releasing tomorrow?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I forgot it's tomorrow :lol We'll Ill try to be on the midnight launch TODAY... to grab it for tomorrow. Yeah....

tomvek

My copy arrived this morning :D

Really enjoying it even though I haven't even started the campaign yet. Been doing the training missions and playing some multiplayer against the bots.

Meat flag is fantastic! Didn't realise the "flag" actually had a bloody shotgun, he took my head right off.

Hopefully my friend gets his copy today so I can start playing the campaign in co-op, if not he's in trouble.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This game is an inconsitant experience. While I adore the core Cog shooting Locust with cover mechanic, and all the cool ways they manage to mix that up...

The driving segments, the on rails shooting, the turret bits.... almost all shit.

But there is one
Shadow of the Colossus / Resident evil 4 inspired
boss that blew my mind. My mouth was litterly agape.

So while 60% of the game was great fun, that 40% makes sure I'll probably never play the single player again.

McBacon said:
This game is an inconsitant experience. While I adore the core Cog shooting Locust with cover mechanic, and all the cool ways they manage to mix that up...

The driving segments, the on rails shooting, the turret bits.... almost all shit.

But there is one
Shadow of the Colossus / Resident evil 4 inspired
boss that blew my mind. My mouth was litterly agape.

So while 60% of the game was great fun, that 40% makes sure I'll probably never play the single player again.

really? ....care to tell more? I thought the vehicle sequences were supposed be a great addition or whatever....no?

Gears2.jpg

WrikaWrek

Banned
My fears have become reality.

The SP is a COD4 wannabe. Looks bloody amazing (Underground is omg), but it tries to offer you set pieces like COD4 and fails.

jdub03

I have tons of free 48-hour live trials. Over a years worth. If anybody wants to snag me one of those hammerburst codes pm me and we can set it up.

WrikaWrek said:
My fears have become reality.

The SP is a COD4 wannabe. Looks bloody amazing (Underground is omg), but it tries to offer you set pieces like COD4 and fails.

Erm did you play the first one, that was about set pieces too.:lol When are big action games like this ever not about the set pieces. Got it from game le sp so far is very good levels seem alot bigger than the last you dont feel like your hurded down corridoors as much.

WrikaWrek

Banned
supermackem said:
Erm did you play the first one, that was about set pieces too.:lol When are big action games like this ever not about the set pieces. Got it from game le sp so far is very good levels seem alot bigger than the last you dont feel like your hurded down corridoors as much.

GOW had a couple of set pieces that were pretty well done, but most of the game was like room, room, room, room, focusing by far most of it's time on the core gameplay.

GOW2 does more than that, it has much more variety and, it is good, i'm not saying otherwise, it's much better than any other TPS i've played at least since the 1st Gears, but the problem is ´, while it's a good rollercoaster ride, COD4 set the bar for rollercoaster rides, and GOw2 doesn't quite get there imo.

I dunno, i just expect these big games to always push it to the next level, but it's not so simple.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
:D :D :D

2uj359e.jpg

n4fhph.jpg

The Blockbuster Game Of The Year is finally in my possesion! :D

Got the LE, my Gears 2 beanie for free with the pre-order (high-quality BTW), Golden Lancer, Golden Hammerburst, and I have to wait till the 11th to get the LE guide with artbook, and my collection will be complete!

It's finally here - later boys! :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Jesus - it's like a TOTALLY new new experience, even for me who has been playing Gears 2 nonstop for 2 years - my goodness...

Playing the Training Grounds on Day One, and the colors are amazing - especially the juicy blood after a curbstomp - so red!

The textures are even sharper than Gears 1, and the movement is ultra-smooth - what those boys at Epic use to do this is beyond me...

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Just got my copy, shame I still got stuff to do before I can play it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
BTW, I also had an "invalid code" problem when trying to download the Flashback map pack - guess I'll try again tomorrow...

I'm in the Netherlands BTW...

For those getting the LE, I found my Gold Lancer code with the flashback map pack and 48hr Live code - there's no mention of where it is anywhere.

Managed to download both the map pack and Gold Lancer with no problems.

Hope this helps anyone who's been looking for it. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have my signed Gears 1 Emergence Day shirt ready for tonight! I cannot wait to play with the Wednesday Bloodtacular GAFfers!

bumpkin

Known Shippable said:
Tomorrow will be the longest day ever...
You're tellin' me... I've gotta work so that means I can't pick it up until after work (5:30-ish), and then on top of that, I promised a buddy of mine that we would play it coop. That would be cool and all except I'm not picking him up from the airport until 10:30pm. And no, he isn't flying here just to play; he's been on vacation down in Florida since Tuesday. :lol

So either way, I'm b-lining from the office to GameStop to get my game, but I can't play it until I get back from picking up my friend. Oh cruel, cruel, CRUEL fate! *sobs in a corner*

Facism

Skilotonn said:
Jesus - it's like a TOTALLY new new experience, even for me who has been playing Gears 2 nonstop for 2 years - my goodness...

Playing the Training Grounds on Day One, and the colors are amazing - especially the juicy blood after a curbstomp - so red!

The textures are even sharper than Gears 1, and the movement is ultra-smooth - what those boys at Epic use to do this is beyond me...

let's be honest, Epic has always been brilliant with how their engines and games ran. I managed to get 30fps on Unreal out of a P200 with a 3DFX back in the day.

We all know it's fuckin Voodoo Magic, man.

kinggroin

Banned
The game is pretty good, and very familiar for any Gears fan (the gameplay doesn't really stray from the it's original concepts). The new additions however help keep things fresh (and are pretty fun, especially in co-op). Also, the story is a little better told, and not quite as campy as the original. So expect some real heartfelt moments :lol

Visually, most here won't be impressed, at first. A couple of hours later however, you'll start to see things that'll completely blow you away. Let's just say the word of the day is, "scale" ;)

Texture pop-in is almost non-existant, and loading (other than the intro chapter) is great. Cutscenes (the real-time ones anyway) run without a single hitch! It's pretty obvious the focus was simply on tightening an already impressive engine. It just may not blow you away like the first did (which set the bar so damn high).

Sound stage is great, with nice surround use. Pretty much what you'd expect from a game of this type (though it's no Dead Space).

Haven't played deathmatch or horde yet. Once I'm done with the single-player campaign (I'm going through with a buddy) I'll try those out.

All in all, so far the game is a solid 8.5 on it's way to a 9 (it's been ramping up).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Monkeylord said:
For those getting the LE, I found my Gold Lancer code with the flashback map pack and 48hr Live code - there's no mention of where it is anywhere.

Managed to download both the map pack and Gold Lancer with no problems.

Hope this helps anyone who's been looking for it. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Silly me - I didn't realize that it was three code on one big scratch-away!

Got the map pack now, but it's the Golden Lancer code that's wasn't working before, and it still doesn't work yet...

Facism said:
let's be honest, Epic has always been brilliant with how their engines and games ran. I managed to get 30fps on Unreal out of a P200 with a 3DFX back in the day.

We all know it's fuckin Voodoo Magic, man.

Tell me about it man - forget the screens and vids you've seen before - it's on another level when watching it in HD on your own screen!

kuYuri

Ephemeris said:
If you go, I'll roll. Metal Gear Launch v2?:lol

The thing is, I had this preordered at Amazon for awhile now since they offered a $10 gift card with purchase and it's already about to ship. It's convenient since I don't have to go out to buy the game and deal with retail. I live kind of far and I got no ride as well.

I'd really like to go, but at the same time, I don't.

Merguson

Banned
I'll get Gears of War 2... and play offline until November 19th.... that's okay.. I can always play through Campaign... play with bots on insane or whatever and watch them chainsaw me to pieces.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I fucking loved gears of war 1, I am gonna play the shit out of this sucker. we had some awesome gaf-games on the first one, hopefully will be seeing some familiar faces again this time round.

I will be playing shitloads of online (if the first game is any indication, daily marathons :D) and am also needing a co-op partner. Either jump in and out co-op partner or all the way through, I'm open to both really.

gamertag: kaizoku7

Sanjuro

I really have no idea why I'm getting sucked into the hype for this. I really didn't like the first one. Lately though I've had nothing better to do I guess...and I have beat Fallout 3 multiple times now.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
AgentOtaku said:
really? ....care to tell more? I thought the vehicle sequences were supposed be a great addition or whatever....no?

There are bits where you're fighting locusts, on foot, and its exciting and engrossing and super amazing to play in that way that few games possess. It also mixes it up well - like that demo from Cliffy B
with the elevator and the crane and the building falling apart
, it really expertly puts together a great world design and great combat.

But then you're
flying on the back of a freaking Octopus
shooting a
dragon thing
and its like I'm playing fricking Star
Fox

And the
Brumak
section goes on for far too long... and the
driving section with a tank
is also way too long.

And some sections just generally aren't that well designed, where you can stand and what you can do is not well communicated to the player and its frustrating.

And the game's influences are absolutely blatent.. theres this (incredibly awesome) boss thats very Resi 4, there's a lot of Miyamotisms in the way that Epic explores the creatures and world of Gears, and the
Brumak
section is very MGS4.

I'm happy with the game, but its very inconsistant and unlike Gears of War 1, I'm not champing at the bit to play it again.

Treo360

bosx2 said:
why has the ending always be so crappy...

Bullshit.

Than again in my opinion it was more than adequate especially after the credits rolled. In a way I knew what had happened and that SERIOUS SPOILER GUYS
That Phoenix's Dad did not want them to sink Jacinto, and WTF at the Queen being Part Human? What about that secret base where they were making Hybrids? Too many questions left unanswered, however a perfect setup for the third game

Top Bottom