• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Penguin

Ramirez said:
So I checked the Gamestop site, but MGS4/Uncharted aren't on there, anyone know how much trade in they would pull me? I figured MGS at least would get me close to 30, but not seeing it on the site has dashed my hopes. :lol I know Uncharted prolly won't get me much since it's old, better than nothing though.

i don't know if this works out better, but Gamestop is running a promotion with GoW 2 and other games if you trade in 2 qualifying games automatically drops the price down to 20 bucks.

And uncharted/mgs 4 are on the list.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i have completely missed everything about the GoW2 build up, and i'd sort of forgotten it was due out TOMORROW :O :O :O

need to finish Dead Space STAT!

Ramirez

Penguin said:
i don't know if this works out better, but Gamestop is running a promotion with GoW 2 and other games if you trade in 2 qualifying games automatically drops the price down to 20 bucks.

And uncharted/mgs 4 are on the list.

Hmm, I guess it depends on their individual value, I was hoping for a 20/30 combo with the 20% added in, which would only make me owe them 5 bucks, I guess I'll just take them and see.

RBH

Papercuts said:
I just saw the commercial on TV, I don't really like how they cut it down.
I saw the commercial during the Cavs/Bulls game on ESPN about an hour ago, and they actually showed the full minute commercial, which surprised me a bit.

In addition, that commercial has really grown on me. Didn't think it was too great when it was first revealed, but watching it more and more has made me really like it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RBH said:
I saw the commercial during the Cavs/Bulls game on ESPN about an hour ago, and they actually showed the full minute commercial, which surprised me a bit.

In addition, that commercial has really grown on me. Didn't think it was too great when it was first revealed, but watching it more and more has made me really like it.

I love the full commercial, but it has no coherency with the cut version.

Dirtbag

Treo360 said:
Again, I don't know what the problem is, that section was kind of easy as well, in fact I thought that Hard mode was too easy.

I'm loving hard for all the core gameplay sections. It hits just the right challenge for my enjoyment, though I can see it being perhaps too easy for coop. Perhaps the difficulty level has little to do with my complaints. It's really the mechanics of the little subsections. In this case it's the inconsistent nature of that turret, especially when shot over distances at flying swirling reavers. It's like none of my shots register with the damn thing.

In fact a good bit of the gunplay vs. flying reavers (or that thing skorge flies) in gears, there is a big disconnect if you are actually doing damage or not.

I'd almost put money on more people complaining about most of the same things once this game hits the masses. (the corpsers in the dark, the reaver elevator scene, etc.) I still don't understand the need for mandatory dialogue before the checkpoint. Why not just have the checkpoint get you back into the action as soon as possible?

EDIT:Just upped my sensitivity and having better success with the turret. Was on medium aim/zoom, now on high.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Brain exploding... this is seriously a graphic whore's orgy for the eyes.

Just got to the first underground section. Wow.

Wish I could see how this would look on my 4870x2. :D

outsidah

Dont know if its been posted... but the GoW2 Circuit City deal with the free 1600 pts card is now online... before you had to call the 800 number to get it.

Blueblur1

outsidah said:
Dont know if its been posted... but the GoW2 Circuit City deal with the free 1600 pts card is now online... before you had to call the 800 number to get it.
Nice. I'm still just gonna go to one of their stores on Friday morning though.

outsidah

Blueblur1 said:
Nice. I'm still just gonna go to one of their stores on Friday morning though.

Yeah I dont think I can wait for their shipping to come thru... its free FYI if anyone is considering it.

Firestorm

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/11/5/

gears2.jpg

Hypothetical situation.

Let's say you were to ask the people at 7 Eleven if they "sell videogames." They may answer in the affirmative, and then hand you a stack of games, from which you may choose what you like. They might sell this game to you even if there is a sticker on it that expressly tells them not to do so.

I didn't get the wizard at 7 Eleven, oh no. The wizard is from my private collection.

(CW)TB
:lol

Aladuf

Banned
PXG's impressions of photo mode for those who were wondering.

When you are dead, in spectator mode, you can fly around and take photos by pressing the B button. What sucks is that the camera movement is overly sensitive. Plus, you cannot precisely raise, lower or turn the camera. Its a little hard to control it. Your photos are stored in your War Journal, which is found on the main menu screen. Every photo gets is decorated with a black grunge-esque border, a Gears of War 2 logo, as well as a score (based off the composition and activity in the photo) as well as what map and gametype was being played. Here is an example:

100_1537.jpg

Zzoram

chespace said:
Brain exploding... this is seriously a graphic whore's orgy for the eyes.

Just got to the first underground section. Wow.

Wish I could see how this would look on my 4870x2. :D

Playing Gears 2 on your PC with the 360 pad would be so incredible.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zzoram said:
That might not happen. EPIC has said that there is no PC version this time. Which could not mean anything, but they never denied the existence of the PC version of Gears 1.

godhandiscen said:
That might not happen. EPIC has said that there is no PC version this time. Which could not mean anything, but they never denied the existence of the PC version of Gears 1.

From some interviews it's starting to sound like they're getting away from the PC...

Zzoram

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
From some interviews it's starting to sound like they're getting away from the PC...

It barely costs anything to port, they don't even have to do it themselves, and I'm sure they made some money on it last time.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Yeah, I'm not privy to the discussion regarding 360 to PC ports here, but I can see why they would want to keep it exclusive to 360. Also, it's entirely possible that a high profile game like GoW2 won't do all that well on the PC because anybody who's ever wanted to play it will have done so already on the 360.

Who knows. It exists on 360 and it looks beyond gorgeous.

I kind of figured the photo mode would be a little hard to control. I still can't get over the graphics. Can't wait to play this is glorious HD tomorrow night.

kuYuri

Being that I am in NY, there's a midnight launch at Best Buy here in which some of the Gears team will be there doing autographs and handing out free stuff. So tempted, but I don't think I should go. :x

clav

Can't wait for Gamefly to ship this to me.

Just started my subscription yesterday for 30 days free.

Going on rentals because I have to save for my monthly rent + gas/water/electricity utilities + food. : (

VaLiancY

Strider2K99 said:
Being that I am in NY, there's a midnight launch at Best Buy here in which some of the Gears team will be there doing autographs and handing out free stuff. So tempted, but I don't think I should go. :x

Manhattan? If so...NEW YORK GAFFERS UNITE!

Blackface

Banned
I ordered from Amazon. Games comes out Friday. Looks like they won't ship until Friday. I live like 5 minutes away from their Canadian factory, so hopefully I get it that day. Otherwise it will be a long, long weekend.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dirtbag said:
Oh shit, just beat the game.

BE SURE TO LISTEN ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE CREDITS!

No spoilers, but how was the story overall? Did you feel satisfied? Better than the first Gears? Answers many questions? Any "oh shit" plot twists?

LordK

Trax416 said:
I ordered from Amazon. Games comes out Friday. Looks like they won't ship until Friday. I live like 5 minutes away from their Canadian factory, so hopefully I get it that day. Otherwise it will be a long, long weekend.

Do they not do release date delivery for Canda or something? That hella sucks if they don't. :(

I dont know what i can say to this game, but its fucking awesome again.
The Story, The Soundtrack.
But it gaves to many frustating Places in Hardcore. But i'm happy to finish the story before the game release.

claviertekky said:
Can't wait for Gamefly to ship this to me.

Just started my subscription yesterday for 30 days free.

Going on rentals because I have to save for my monthly rent + gas/water/electricity utilities + food. : (

Link? I've been meaning to do one of these for a while.

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
No spoilers, but how was the story overall? Did you feel satisfied? Better than the first Gears? Answers many questions? Any "oh shit" plot twists?

Better than the first definitely. Answers some questions / poses new ones.
"Oh shit!!" It has a solid ending to it, so you don't feel totally impatient for the next one *ahem, Halo2* I was satisfied.

Really rock solid campaign with some minor flaws in the form of gimmick sections. These sections often have long loads when you die, and cutscenes/dialogue buildups at the start (and not after) the checkpoint - timesuck when you die, and wear on your patience quickly. (A few spots were just as bad as the driving in portion in Gears 1 for me, and totally pissed me off... though should play out better in coop). I wouldnt say these moments ruined it for me, but they are the few black spots on a near perfect campaign experience.

The scale of everything is much larger as advertised, including the environments feeling much larger in almost every aspect. Really amazed by level variety, and the sound design is somehow better (an area I felt totally satistfied with in the first gears). I thought the musical score was less interesting then the first gears, as it didn't take any noticeable risks and just felt like a near duplicate of Gears 1 - only a little more melodic, and understated. So far I seem to be alone on this one.

Multiplayer has been really hit and miss so far.
-Sometimes bullet lag creeps up, sometimes its butter.
-Wish I knew who was talking in-game, but sadly there is no walkie talkie icon / gamertag pop-up... Really hope this gets patched in. (this should be xbox standard by now, no excuse).
-Gameplay mechanics are sooo much better. Shotgun knows its place now - still a great ambush weapon.
-Hammerburst is the skill weapon. I fair better with the lancer so far. Still feeling it out.
-Planting grenades is really popular on Meatflag. Have fun trying to avoid them.
-Meatflag ends way too quickly. 2 Rounds is just not enough time.
-U.I. is dead sexy in all areas of the game. Lobby is a work of art.
-No quit option once match has started (least not one that I can see).

Ephemeris

Strider2K99 said:

If you go, I'll roll. Metal Gear Launch v2?:lol

zewone

Dirtbag said:
-Wish I knew who was talking in-game, but sadly there is no walkie talkie icon / gamertag pop-up... Really hope this gets patched in. (this should be xbox standard by now, no excuse).
-Meatflag ends way too quickly. 2 Rounds is just not enough time.
-No quit option once match has started (least not one that I can see).
Press the back button to see who is talking.
I've had meatflag games that last 45 minutes PER round.
No quit is good, but it's too easy to just go to the dashboard.

Dirtbag

I shouldn't have to, nor do I want to. I'm talking about a floating icon over the characters head as well as the on screen gamertag popup.

I've had meatflag games that last 45 minutes PER round.
And then there are entire games that last a combined 2 minutes. It takes longer to find/setup/load the match then it does to play most meatflag games.
And 2 rounds is hardly enough time to learn a team's strategy and try and out think them.

No quit is good, but it's too easy to just go to the dashboard.
I'm not sure if I like this option or not yet. I think it's a dangerous option to have in a game of something like warzone where no-one respawns. Just imagine the guy who can't quit and goes AFK while the rest of us sit and watch him not move at spawn.. waiting for the round to end.
I like the idea, but we'll see how it works in practice. I think this was the wrong game for this maneuver but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Blackface

Banned
copybeaver said:
Do they not do release date delivery for Canda or something? That hella sucks if they don't. :(

They said it should be here on the 11th. But I paid for 1 day shipping. So I dunno how the fuck that shit works.

p3tran

Banned
Zzoram said:
it wasnt THAT incredible playing gears1 on my super-duper pc.
and I am sure that my 360 pad behaved a bit different (worse) on pc than on my 360.

I dont see why this would be different.

zewone

Dirtbag said:
I shouldn't have to, nor do I want to. I'm talking about a floating icon over the characters head as well as the on screen gamertag popup.
I guess I don't see it as a problem since I always play with the same four people.

Dirtbag

zewone said:
I guess I don't see it as a problem since I always play with the same four people.

Well not only that but to be able to associate who is talking instantly with their position relative to the map/characters can be crucial to (and promotes) teamwork.
Its a feature that's definitely taken for granted.

Darkman M

Trax416 said:
They said it should be here on the 11th. But I paid for 1 day shipping. So I dunno how the fuck that shit works.

One day delivery and release day delivery are not the same, check your order again maybe Amazon CA doesn't offer release day delivery.

DoomGyver

The wait is over! :D

Tonight's the night boys! Gotta remember to pick up a case of beer on my way back from GameStop!

WHO WANTS TOAST?!

Sectus

Got the game woot woot!

The one thing I was worried about is fixed in the game, there's no bullet lag at all. You aim at an enemy, and you'll hit that enemy even with bad ping.

And horde mode is awesome. Definitely the one mode I like the most in the game.

I'm so fucking giddy right now... my LE just dropped on the mat. Anyone who got their "dispatched" email from PLAY.com yesterday afternoon should check their mail when they get in ;)

Top Bottom