• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Lince

Banned
yup guess what was waiting for me at home

gow2ce.jpg

I'm expecting a large turn-out at Gamestop so I've decided to AVOID it ~ Instead I will make my way over to Wal-Mart by midnight and hopefully be one of the few there purchasing GEARS OF WAR 2. If it's busy there (which it could be, I suppose) then I hope there's enough for everyone...

MechDX

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm expecting a large turn-out at Gamestop so I've decided to AVOID it ~ Instead I will make my way over to Wal-Mart by midnight and hopefully be one of the few there purchasing GEARS OF WAR 2. If it's busy there (which it could be, I suppose) then I hope there's enough for everyone...

They have both the regular and CE at all stores. They also will have the midnight launch codes at 2500 stores.

Wizman23

Banned
Prine said:
To beat this game within 3 days of purchase blows my mind. How much free time do you people have?

By tomorrow at this time I plan on having this beat as I'm sure many others in this thread do as well:D

MechDX said:
They have both the regular and CE at all stores. They also will have the midnight launch codes at 2500 stores.

At Wal-Mart you mean? That's good to know. Do you get a code with the standard edition purchase? The code is for the golden lancer right? There's a decent sized Uni up the street from my local Wal-Mart hotspot so I really really hope it's not crawling with idiots...

MechDX

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
At Wal-Mart you mean? That's good to know. Do you get a code with the standard edition purchase? The code is for the golden lancer right? There's a decent sized Uni up the street from my local Wal-Mart hotspot so I really really hope it's not crawling with idiots...

Golden Hammerburst is the code for midnight launches. Golden Lancer is included with the CE.

MechDX said:
Golden Hammerburst is the code for midnight launches. Golden Lancer is included with the CE.

Ah thanks for the clarification...I am quite excited for this now!! Hammerburst over Lancer for me, as it stands. Now I've got to wait out the next 11 hours patiently!!

~ So for those that have it, honest impressions on the visuals...I've been reading some things complaining the graphics look 'washed out' or some nonsense.

jdub03

two quick question for those that received there game from amazon. My order status says "will ship soon". How long before it ships out. Also do they send games through the mail or will they deliver to the house. Its such a small package I figure they'd just send it through the mail. Thats how I got my copy of soul calibur iv through best buy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, here's a random question...

With Gears 2 coming out tomorrow, a friend of mine realized that they've never played the original and wants to do a CO-OP run this weekend. If he were to go out and purchase the version of Gears of War on store shelves (the "refresh" version) will it work properly in networked CO-OP mode with my launch copy of Gears? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I don't want to run into any issues either.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
dark10x said:
OK, here's a random question...

With Gears 2 coming out tomorrow, a friend of mine realized that they've never played the original and wants to do a CO-OP run this weekend. If he were to go out and purchase the version of Gears of War on store shelves (the "refresh" version) will it work properly in networked CO-OP mode with my launch copy of Gears? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I don't want to run into any issues either.

Yes it's the same on coop dude, the maps on the 'refreshed version' or whatever are just the DLC maps for multiplayer. Coop is just the campaign that came with the launch copy of the game.

Dunlop

Holy crap,

I thought today was the 7th, hence the reason why the Zellers by my work did not have the game

It's been a long week...

jdub03 said:
two quick question for those that received there game from amazon. My order status says "will ship soon". How long before it ships out. Also do they send games through the mail or will they deliver to the house. Its such a small package I figure they'd just send it through the mail. Thats how I got my copy of soul calibur iv through best buy.
It depends what sort of shipping you requested. I've been using "release date" this Fall. They typically send it out sometime the evening the night before the game is supposed to be there. I get it with all of our office UPS shipments the following day (which is release day.) My Gears 2 copy should be here around 10am tomorrow morning.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Horde is awesome, its like a modern version of Smash TV, instead of rooms you get rounds.

Can't wait to be playing Gears 2 tomorrow. And at least I can go buy it and physically have it in my hands rather than waiting for GameStop to send me a code like this L4D debocle.

Aladuf

Banned
_dementia said:
Set the in-game display filter to "vibrant".

Gears1 looked much better that way.
Ohh yeah, that's the first thing I'm doing when I pop Gears 2 into the Xbox tonight... going to switch that shit right to the vibrant settings. Anyone who didn't do that in Gears 1, I'm sorry.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah buying games there is such a hassle cos those idiots dont even know anything about electronics AND THEY WORK in the electronics section, sigh.

But yeah I'll be hitting up wal mart tonight since gamestop stopped taking preorders on the CE, man Idk what the hell I'll do if walmart only has the regular edition.

Their site has the CE, so I would think the 24 hour stores will have it too. The Wal-Mart near me has alot of game geeks working in the electronices dept. The same people show up for every launch it seems.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Aladuf said:
Ohh yeah, that's the first thing I'm doing when I pop Gears 2 into the Xbox tonight... going to switch that shit right to the vibrant settings. Anyone who didn't do that in Gears 1, I'm sorry.

I saw no such setting in Gears 2.

In my opinion it isn't needed either. Gears 2's palette is much richer and vibrant already.

AirBrian

dskillzhtown said:
Good question...if so, I will go to Wal-Mart to get it instead of EB. That pre-order can move to Left 4 Dead.
If Wal-Mart does, that would save me like 30 minutes in total. The BB closest to me (across from Wal-Mart actually) isn't doing the midnight launch.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AirBrian said:
If Wal-Mart does, that would save me like 30 minutes in total. The BB closest to me (across from Wal-Mart actually) isn't doing the midnight launch.

Wal Mart always has the games at midnight. Only thing I' concerned about is getting the CE at the one I go to. I bought halo, gta, bioshock, rock band 2, etc but they were all the standard editions.

I dont care about the hammerburst in gold but the lancer is a must.

Yeah this day is going by slowly for me too, it's 230 and I got like 6 hours to go :/

But I'm off tomorrow luckily.

Definity

ThirdEngine said:
Hope everyone's day is going faster than mine.

2:30? You've gotta be fucking kidding me...

I've been on conference calls most of the day but everyone sounds like Charlie Brown's Mom. I know people are talking but I just can't understand them.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Hope everyone's day is going faster than mine.

2:30? You've gotta be fucking kidding me...
So far it's been going fine, what's going to drag for me is tonight before the launch when the few of us will play our final Gears 1 matches... that I think, will end up seeming like it's taking forever.

I could never play Gears 1 again and I'd be fine, going out on top last night with my greatest round of MP ever was fucking sick. :lol

_dementia said:
Set the in-game display filter to "vibrant".

Gears1 looked much better that way.

It definitely did
- from screens and videos of the game my impressions were good - I like the color palette they are using for GOW2 compared to GOW1. Can't wait to play this! Can't wait to get some GAF games together, no?

One thing I'm really glad they added was the ability to cancel the cover-to-cover movements...Very useful

Aladuf said:
So far it's been going fine, what's going to drag for me is tonight before the launch when the few of us will play our final Gears 1 matches... that I think, will end up seeming like it's taking forever.

I could never play Gears 1 again and I'd be fine, going out on top last night with my greatest round of MP ever was fucking sick. :lol
That will probably be the only thing to help pass the time for me. Sitting here at work is what's taking the longest.

Also, you and your three straight blind-fire headshots plus the nodding of the camera was something just...magical. :lol

Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

I never purchased GoW1 for myself, and my only experience with it is playing through the first hour on a friends copy.

Is it worth me going back, buying and playing GoW1 before I get GoW2?

Or should I just bear on into GoW2?

Thanks guys!

OGB said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

I never purchased GoW1 for myself, and my only experience with it is playing through the first hour on a friends copy.

Is it worth me going back, buying and playing GoW1 before I get GoW2?

Or should I just bear on into GoW2?

Thanks guys!
as much as I enjoy Gears 1, I'd say just watch the plot cutscenes on youtube to familiarize yourself with everything you need to know and play the new game as soon as you can.

WrikaWrek said:
Does anyone else think that the marketing campaign for the launch of GOW2 is smaller than GOW1?

Isn't that weird?
It didn't occur to you that a new IP would need more publicity?

+ global economic collapse :(

jdub03

Cornballer said:
It depends what sort of shipping you requested. I've been using "release date" this Fall. They typically send it out sometime the evening the night before the game is supposed to be there. I get it with all of our office UPS shipments the following day (which is release day.) My Gears 2 copy should be here around 10am tomorrow morning.

Okay I have release date shipping so I guess ill be getting it tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
WrikaWrek said:
Does anyone else think that the marketing campaign for the launch of GOW2 is smaller than GOW1?

Isn't that weird?

You haven't been paying any attention. We have been inundated with trailers, interviews, Epic documentaries, and all sorts of PR nonsense for almost the entirety of 2008. Just look at the Gears 2 tab on marketplace and count the amount of video content there is to download pre-release. It rivals Halo 3.

WrikaWrek said:

Isn't that weird?

I've seen very little, saw the advert once in the cinema (with no sound) but haven't seen one TV spot yet for it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Brandon F said:
You haven't been paying any attention. We have been inundated with trailers, interviews, Epic documentaries, and all sorts of PR nonsense for almost the entirety of 2008. Just look at the Gears 2 tab on marketplace and count the amount of video content there is to download pre-release. It rivals Halo 3.

:lol

I'm not talking about some Cloverfield/Snakes on a Plane type Internet buzz, i'm talking about T.V ads, merchandise, shit in the subways, etc.

Frester

I'm glad I've been busy working on papers and study abroad stuff all day, otherwise time would've been crawling. 9 hours to go!

Top Bottom