• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

POW!!

I see Skilotonn already made pictures and rubbing it in everybody's faces. I also have bought it today and it's fan-fuckin-tastic. And I only played the tutorials and doin some matches with bots.

I'm waiting for my coop partner to come home from work with his copy of the game and it's campaign time.

Oh my God, it looks amazing, playing 5 on 5 with bots on Gridlock, so nice, so greeeen. :D

WrikaWrek said:
GOW had a couple of set pieces that were pretty well done, but most of the game was like room, room, room, room, focusing by far most of it's time on the core gameplay.

GOW2 does more than that, it has much more variety and, it is good, i'm not saying otherwise, it's much better than any other TPS i've played at least since the 1st Gears, but the problem is ´, while it's a good rollercoaster ride, COD4 set the bar for rollercoaster rides, and GOw2 doesn't quite get there imo.

I dunno, i just expect these big games to always push it to the next level, but it's not so simple.

Yea but COD4 is missing the best part... co op over live... that alone will make this game more fun for me.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Been playing for about 2 hours now, still in Act 1, and the action, pacing and set pieces have been kickass so far - awesome awesome game!

And Hardcore is like Gears 1 Insane right now, and I love that - makes me even more pumped to play Insane!

P.S.: Did I mention the game is gorgeous? :D

draven

Added it there, but posting it here, too:

Newcomer to the group, but I loves me some gears. I'm up for anything after I receive my copy tonight (campaign, horde, annex, etc.).

GT: CidDelNorte

Acidote

Skilotonn said:
And Hardcore is like Gears 1 Insane right now, and I love that - makes me even more pumped to play Insane!

Gears 2 feels way easier than the first one to me. I'm playing Hardcore and it feels like GoW1 Normal, if not easier.

xray49er

I should have my copy tonight or tomroow after work but i am down for co-op or horde. I sucked at the other muliplayer modes in gears, but i am down for some action. add me

GT is XRAY49ER

Skilotonn said:
Been playing for about 2 hours now, still in Act 1, and the action, pacing and set pieces have been kickass so far - awesome awesome game!

P.S.: Did I mention the game is gorgeous? :D

I like to hear that about the difficulty.
I remember my brother and I having a hard time for over an hour on one level in Gears1 on insane but it never got frustrating.

Dirtbag

WrikaWrek said:
My fears have become reality.

The SP is a COD4 wannabe. Looks bloody amazing (Underground is omg), but it tries to offer you set pieces like COD4 and fails.

:lol

Not even close.
And let's not forget Gears 1 launched a full years before COD4 if we want to play the imitation game. That is IF I were to agree with your original bullshit... which I don't.

McBacon said:
This game is an inconsitant experience. While I adore the core Cog shooting Locust with cover mechanic, and all the cool ways they manage to mix that up...

The driving segments, the on rails shooting, the turret bits.... almost all shit.

But there is one
Shadow of the Colossus / Resident evil 4 inspired
boss that blew my mind. My mouth was litterly agape.

So while 60% of the game was great fun, that 40% makes sure I'll probably never play the single player again.
Totally agree.
Though I'd say its more like 75% / 25% for me.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Acidote said:
Gears 2 feels way easier than the first one to me. I'm playing Hardcore and it feels like GoW1 Normal, if not easier.

Of course that's because you know the system, but receiving damage-wise and giving damage-wise, this feels like Insane - and you can't run up on enemies as easily as back either, especially if they have the Hammerburst - oh boy...

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
So I put in 4 hours (3 on campaign, 1 on multiplayer) yesterday and I'm impressed but not overwhelmed.

I wish I had people to play co-op with cuz I feel like i am missing out right now on the incredible entertainment it could provide.

Horde mode is glitchy as hell and enemies are popping all over, through walls and nothing satisfactory like I wanted. I hope it improves with the launch tonight.

Gears of War 2 is like someone spiked your drink with drugs and the world has turned into the world of the Mad Hatter -- crazy and extraordinary.

Facism

Just bought a 12+1 Gold serial for this.

Can't wait. if any Euro's fancy some mp around midnight tonight, my GT is Remedy1984

S1kkZ

got the game yesterday and finished it today.
awesome game, much better then gears 1.

took me about 10 hours on easy.

Merguson

Banned
Anyone got a good stream of Gears of War 2? Preferably an offline match to see how bots work or like a group of people doing Horde Mode...

Dosia

JonAmikar said:
How's the bot support?

Also, can the 2-player splitscreen be used for modes other than co-op?

The split screen can be used for local matches and private live matches I believe. Kind of a bummer that they decided to take out the player match...

Aladuf

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Beat the game. Plays just like Fable 2. What a ripoff.
:lol

If you're talking about beating it and not wanting to go back and play it then remember, you can play on Insane difficulty now with a co-op buddy or whatever, you play Horde for so many hours, and you have multiplayer. And even if you don't have XBL Gold then you can still play full MP matches with bots, so no, I don't think it will play too much like Fable 2 at all.

Dunlop

grr the Zellers near my work did not receive their shipment today and I have class tonight.

Late night MP action is looking grim for me : (

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
3 hours in, no idea which chapter I'm in actually, but DAMN, this place is incredible-looking - that's all I wanna say without spoiling a thing for anyone else - I was wowed from the beginning of it, and I'm still going through the level...

There was something cool I found in it also too! :D

unomas

Banned
Chinner said:
i see that merguson is posting in the chat.

Yeah, horde mode looked pretty fun wish they would have stayed with it but maybe they got bored and wanted to do the online multi.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Dosia said:
The split screen can be used for local matches and private live matches I believe. Kind of a bummer that they decided to take out the player match...

wat?

You cant do a party and just play with your friends ala halo 3?

Getting it tonight at midnight and I'm off tomorrow, yeah come on!

scarybore

Got the limited edition sent through the post today but I sent my 360 away to be repaired for the 6th time yesterday, also the bloke down the road I was going to do online co-op with got the RRoD today so now I can't even do offline co-op on his 360. Worst luck ever!

The horde videos look awesome, just wish I was playing rather than watching. :lol

Ifrit

This probably has been mentioned before but people ouside the US can now finally download the map packs from Gears of War 1 without problems (it used to give an "this content is not available for your region" error message).

To keep it on topic, Gears 2 looks great and its an instabuy for me, and I'm mostly a single player type of guy

AirBrian

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart is giving away the midnight launch gold gun code? I just got off the phone with them and they didn't even know the game was releasing tonight. :lol :-(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
AirBrian said:
Does anyone know if Wal-Mart is giving away the midnight launch gold gun code? I just got off the phone with them and they didn't even know the game was releasing tonight. :lol :-(

Good question...if so, I will go to Wal-Mart to get it instead of EB. That pre-order can move to Left 4 Dead.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AirBrian said:

Yeah buying games there is such a hassle cos those idiots dont even know anything about electronics AND THEY WORK in the electronics section, sigh.

But yeah I'll be hitting up wal mart tonight since gamestop stopped taking preorders on the CE, man Idk what the hell I'll do if walmart only has the regular edition.

Saya

To my surprise I received Gears today in the mail instead of tomorrow. Just played it for a couple hours and it is awesome. I'm almost finished with the second act and I find it hard to believe the other acts are better than this one.

I just got to the
big worm's belly right now and this area looks glorious.

Holy shit!

Oh, and why the hell do they kill of Tai and not that damn Dom? Tai was awesome. :(

Merguson

Banned
Does offline Horde mode have bots (allies) you can play along with? I know there are bots in custom matches but wasn't sure if there was in Horde?

Top Bottom