• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

chespace said:
I know. Sharp shoulders always ruin shooters for me.

Especially when they're not on PS3.

And yes, I've also hit that face button bug, except for me it happened in the UI menu before I started the game. I was trying to load my save game and the A button wouldn't work -- AT ALL. I had to restart the game. It was the only time I hit the bug but it kinda freaked me out for a sec. I thought I lost the save game. :)
chespace
It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
(Today, 07:18 PM)
Reply | Quote

Core407

Banned
chespace said:
I know. Sharp shoulders always ruin shooters for me.

Especially when they're not on PS3.

And yes, I've also hit that face button bug, except for me it happened in the UI menu before I started the game. I was trying to load my save game and the A button wouldn't work -- AT ALL. I had to restart the game. It was the only time I hit the bug but it kinda freaked me out for a sec. I thought I lost the save game. :)

Come on, they are pretty sharp! I'm just angry GOW2 isn't coming to PC I guess. :\

Edit: What is with the hit to the graphics during multi? The single player shots look insane but why not MP? Don't get it at all.

FrankT

Yea, that A button issue is something they probably are going to have to patch fairly quickly. Or perhaps it's not a bug and were all impatient. :p

Although that in-game occurrence earlier stated definitely sounds like it.

Oh yea, some of this underground scenery is unbelievable.

S1kkZ

chespace said:

thats no bug (or is it). just press a and wait. there is no feedback and it seems like a bug, the game will start or load.
when i started the campaign for the first time, i mashed the a button for 30 seconds and nothing happend.

Blackface

Banned
question about something towards the end of the game.

The boss you fight when the queen walks off. The guy with the double ended chainsaws. How exactly do you kill him? Do I shoot them when he is running behind the pillers, or is there something I missed?

chespace

h3ro said:
Defender of the Microsoft realm ladies and gents... Don't worry Dude Huge, the Forza team has got yo' back!

A problem I ran into all the time in Gears 1 was not being able to switch weapons. It would last for like five minutes and then would go back to normal after a checkpoint or arbitrary time period, it would suck if it hit when I used grenades... :lol

It's nitpicking something extremely trivial in that MP screenshot. But okay, whatever. I got your back, Cliffy. :lol

I thought the screenshot looked pretty damn good by any other standard. But damn those sharp shoulders!

Core407

Banned
chespace said:
It's nitpicking something extremely trivial in that MP screenshot. But okay, whatever. I got your back, Cliffy. :lol

I thought the screenshot looked pretty damn good by any other standard. But damn those sharp shoulders!

It was a bad joke I guess - if I was really nit picking, I'd point out the god awful wood texture that looks like smeared feces. ;) Sorry, the KillZone 2 beta has spoiled me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks amazing, it's just not two years ago.

h3ro

chespace said:

I thought it looked fine too, I just didn't get the whole PS3 thing because the guy didn't put up an R2 shot or something and say "now those are some nice, round shoulders!!"... :lol

chespace

h3ro said:
I thought it looked fine too, I just didn't get the whole PS3 thing because the guy didn't put up an R2 shot or something and say "now those are some nice, round shoulders!!"... :lol

It was all subtext, broseph. Or not.

I guess, just like core407, mine was a joke too, but it's dicey around here!

Hixx

act 3 spoilers:

That whole act sucked. In so many different ways - boring level, really, retardedly easy enemies... the Sires. They were genuinely boring. You could just stand in one place, hold down B and wait till they stopped spawning. The mental AI dude was pretty creepy though, suppose that was cool.

The hailstorm part was the only decent section in the Act.

Vehicle section felt like it relied on trial and error more than anything (especially the ice lakes).

Really hope it picks up again soon, because it had been excellent up until then :(

Also, I didn't think visually they would be able to improve much on the original, but everything seems twice as clear and smooth. Some of the lighting and weather effects are insane. Really is a beautiful game.

TheFreshPrince said:
why are people paying $20-$30 on eBay for the map pack code?? Doesn't it come free with every new copy? Or am I missing something?

That is hilarious.

Also, getting into a gears match is taking me 10 minutes... WTF? Matchmaking is borked just like in the first game.

h3ro

TheFreshPrince said:
why are people paying $20-$30 on eBay for the map pack code?? Doesn't it come free with every new copy? Or am I missing something?

johnny%20depp%20pirates%20of%20the%20caribbean.jpg

chespace said:
It was all subtext, broseph. Or not.

I guess, just like core407, mine was a joke too, but it's dicey around here!

I guess I'm just cranky today. I had to wake up at 7AM on a day off to schlep into Manhattan to watch the first show of the Radio City Music Hall Xmas show and I couldn't even get a decent look at the Rockette's legs. Also, my copies of Gears won't be in my hands until next week. Blah.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ThePeacemaker02 said:
How do you use the gold lancer with the LE?
Not sure because I didn't get it, but I swear I heard someone mention it's a code you have to redeem to download it.

Facism

just read over the main forum about public play with a guest. doesn't exist. massive amounts of bullshit on epic's part for removing it. brother and i were looking forward to it, and expected that gears 1 set precedent for gears 2 to have it. has really impacted my enjoyment of the game.

Trax416 said:
question about something towards the end of the game.

The boss you fight when the queen walks off. The guy with the double ended chainsaws. How exactly do you kill him? Do I shoot them when he is running behind the pillers, or is there something I missed?
Yeah, just keep at it.
It pretty much goes through a set piece motion the whole way through assuming you hit him enough when he's behind the pillars.
I was expecting more on that part though. Kinda easy tbh.

dralla

I was really enjoying the campaign, than I got to the super shitty level :[ I don't even have to tell you which it is. Did Epic not see all the "Cortana" hate from Halo 3. whyyyy

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HixxSAFC said:
act 3 spoilers:

That whole act sucked. In so many different ways - boring level, really, retardedly easy enemies... the Sires. They were genuinely boring. You could just stand in one place, hold down B and wait till they stopped spawning. The mental AI dude was pretty creepy though, suppose that was cool.

The hailstorm part was the only decent section in the Act.

Vehicle section felt like it relied on trial and error more than anything (especially the ice lakes).

Really hope it picks up again soon, because it had been excellent up until then :(

Also, I didn't think visually they would be able to improve much on the original, but everything seems twice as clear and smooth. Some of the lighting and weather effects are insane. Really is a beautiful game.
Wow, I totally disagree.

Act 3, while not as showy as Act 2, was almost perfectly paced. Brilliant, brilliant level design, as is everything else I've played in this game.

It's like it's taken a book from Mario Galaxy's book of level design. It gives you tastes of lots of different ideas. Act 3 starts with
exploring the abandon warehouse and building tension before giving you a flamethrower and letting you go crazy or wretches, then has the awesome when playing co-op section where Dom and Marcus carry the bomb, then the AI section, then the RE4 styled Siren section that, while not hard, was a FUN, then once you turn off the AI, you go straight back into balls to the wall action, then the navigating the hail-storm, then it gives you the shields to verse off against two Reavers.
All of these things never over stay their welcome and all of them are just plain fun. I love that they don't just make things more difficult, they just vary the gameplay scenarios. Brilliant work Epic, I hope you can maintain it through the final two acts.

EDIT: I just realised I'm only mid way through Act 3. Fucking hell this game is awesome. :lol

Sectus

TheFreshPrince said:
I just checked one of the auctions which had this text:
Gears of War 2 flashback map pack Code
Up for auction is a very rare limited edition code for the new game Gears of War 2.

Very rare limited edition? That's simply trying to fool people. And I get the impression some people just aren't well informed about how the map pack works. A friend of mine thought it was a pre-order bonus, he wasn't aware it comes with every copy of the game.

This game looks amazing. It really didn't come off well enough in the videos just how good this game looks. It puts Gears 1 to shame. It plays as good as it looks too. Man, I wouldn't even be here if not to ask this:

Whats going on with the Gold Lancer codes? I keep getting an error.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has anyone done the gold club execution with the Gnasher? When I hit Y with it it's just the punch execution again.

dankir

I bought CE version today, entered the codes to download the Gold Lancer before I put the game in and after successfully entering the code it said the gold lancer couldn't be dowloaded.

Then I entered the map codes and those worked fine. I retried the Gold Lancer code and now its invalid :(

I went through the multiplayer options a few times, do I select it as a my preferred weapon? Or does it appear in the multiplayer game on its own?

Aladuf

Banned
Papercuts said:
Has anyone done the gold club execution with the Gnasher? When I hit Y with it it's just the punch execution again.
You just press B, it's only a different look for the old melee execution in Gears 1.

dankir said:
I bought CE version today, entered the codes to download the Gold Lancer before I put the game in and after successfully entering the code it said the gold lancer couldn't be dowloaded.

Then I entered the map codes and those worked fine. I retried the Gold Lancer code and now its invalid :(

I went through the multiplayer options a few times, do I select it as a my preferred weapon? Or does it appear in the multiplayer game on its own?
The Golden Lancer code invalid thing is a problem MS is trying to fix, you can keep on trying but it probably won't work. Since you entered the code, go to account management and then download history to download again.

Spruchy

Insaniac said:
how do you use a mortar? can you adjust the distance?

Aim the big rectangle cross hair, hold longer for distance/power. Bar will appear indicating where you let go during your last shot so you can adjust accordingly.

This game is phenominal. Gears 1 wasn't bad, the single player was fun enough and the multiplayer was a blast, but Gears 2 is a ZoE1 to ZoE2 leap in awesome. I haven't even touched multiplayer yet, but the single player mode is just so good.

unomas

Banned
Single player co-op on hardcore amazing through 2 levels. Online multi....well not as good as Gears 1 for me so far. I don't like how you can't pick to just play warzone for instance in the game lobby, and the wait times to play matches are rediculous even when you have a room full of 5 guys on one team waiting to play.

Bring back the shotgun! It's damn near worthless now, and the chainsaw wins out in most close quarters combat because the shotgun is pretty much worthless. So now instead of a fierce shotty battle you get chainsaw fest. I loved it in Gears 1 when it was 1 versus 3 taking my shotty in close quarters and taking out the rest of their team, that was fun and intense. Come on Epic, at least let me choose if I want to play Warzone only like the old Gears, I'm not interested in Guardian!

Character speed, why the hell did they slow everyone down when they aren't roadie running? Fast paced games make for fun, not slow paced games, don't lose the loyal multiplayer audience you had with the first game epic. I hit 12,000+ kills online in the original gears, the only things they needed to fix were host advantage and one shot downs with the sniper. Why they touched the shotty or character speed is beyond me. Hopefully they listen to the loyal hardcore players. Also, not that big a fan of smoke grenades knocking people down and environmental kills are really stupid/cheap. Why oh why did Epic tamper with the multiplayer so much?

Otherwise fantastic and Horde mode is fucking ace so far. Played waves 21 through 36 and had a damn blast playing with 4 to 5 other guys. Other games need to implement similar things, just pure fun. You guys knocked it out of the park with Horde and single player/co-op but royally messed up the multi and the community is already speaking loudly.

Edit: Does anyone have any gold lancer codes they would be willing to part with? I've still got my free 48 hour live trial to trade. PM me if anyone has one they're willing to part with.

Sectus

One small tip with the mortar is if you aim and then just tap the fire button you'll fire with the minimum range. Which is just barely in front of you (if you stand still or move back you'll be safe), and that's very handy if you have an enemy advancing towards you.

Mortar and boomshot seems to be the most powerful weapons in the game from what I've played.

Sallokin

Shadowlink123 said:
The Golden Lancer code invalid thing is a problem MS is trying to fix, you can keep on trying but it probably won't work. Since you entered the code, go to account management and then download history to download again.

I've been trying for the past 3 hours to get it to work and I still get "can't download" every time. Super frustrating. I'm not entirely sure I'd even use the thing. I just want my damn code to work LOL.

If you'd like some Gears 2 sales-age stuff:

1,400,000-1,500,000 units sold through to consumers on Day-1. Looking to sell in between GTAIV and Halo 3 in terms of uber-starts (GTAIV on X360, btw).

I'd personally expect NPD to chime in with 4,000,000 units sold in the US+ CA after Black Friday.

Rikyfree

I cant stand the online in GOW, too much bullet lag. So I stick to bots for now. But I do like the texture loading in the game this time around, much improved to make it look like its out of focus, then it kinda meshes into the full texture.

Top Bottom